Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I am unsure, Zeraora doesn't have the "Can't trade me fuckers!" Ribbon like Marshadow does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nice, thanks

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about catching in Lets Go: When a pokemon moves to the side, how are you supposed to swing the joycon? At an angle, or move it to the side in respect to where you had it pointed when you are ready to throw? Or does it not matter at all?

Kinda wish there was a practice mode for throwing, if only to make the mechanics of throwing to the side clear. While I am at it, is there an easier way to mark pokemon in you box as ones you want to keep instead of the multiple button presses you need to do to mark as a favorite or other symbol?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
ah i came to tell you about my charmander but you all know about it already

I beat Misty by the skin of my teeth because I've been swapping party pokemon nearly every time I catch a new species without bothering to level any up. The only pokemon I've managed to keep around is Bellsprout. It's cute as heck and its Acid attack looks rad - somehow this tiny weed vomits out an enormous glob of burning death :hellyeah:

Glad to report running around in caves isn't a massive pain in the arse

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about catching in Lets Go: When a pokemon moves to the side, how are you supposed to swing the joycon? At an angle, or move it to the side in respect to where you had it pointed when you are ready to throw? Or does it not matter at all?
It's one of the greatest mysteries of our time, and I recommend you go find a trashmon that doesn't move and just practise missing it. Waste some pokeballs on swinging the joycon around until you find a motion that works for you at least pretty consistently.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone figure out how to get a Pokémon to not evolve yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone figure out how to get a Pokémon to not evolve yet

Press B during the evolution sequence.

Also out of curiosity, does every Master Trainer involve a one on one fight? If so, how exactly do the Metapod, Kakuna, Magikarp, and Ditto trainers work then?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks is there a list anywheres of what Pokémon to wait before evolving? Searching online just mentions Go

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where is a decent resource for information about Pokemon Go and how to do certain things in it? Every time I try to find some particular piece of information all I get are articles from July 2016, and none of the maps for Pokestops are the least bit accurate

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Where is a decent resource for information about Pokemon Go and how to do certain things in it? Every time I try to find some particular piece of information all I get are articles from July 2016, and none of the maps for Pokestops are the least bit accurate

Serebii has a ton of good info. The game menu (right column on the site) has a bunch of pages covering a lot of topics.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Pokemon Go Hub and The Silph Road are sources I often see. TSR has a nest atlas. But it's true that most information is either about changes in the latest update or the first version from july 2016.

Maps don't really exist any more because Niantic has blocked data scraping pretty well. Since pokemongomap.info closed down, the only thing you can find are local mapping efforts for your city/region, where people have submitted all the gyms/stops manually. That probably only works in highly populated areas. For the Netherlands there is https://www.raids.nl for example.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thanks for the info. Yesterday I had to go to a work dinner and was stuck in town for two hours before it so I was looking for a place with a lot of stops to walk around. I ended up going to a mall which worked decently. In my own town I know where the great spots are. There's a place at the art museum I can just camp and continuously get three pokestops and a gym, especially with the Pokeball plus, I don't even have to do anything. Sunday I went there with 9 balls left and by the end of the afternoon I had like 100 regular and great balls and was throwing out items to make room and throwing out Pokemon into the candy factory

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It really annoys me that go really heavily favors big cities. Mostly because the stops are based off of Niantic nodes. So if you live in a big college town with a mall you're in luck.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah like I work in Montgomery which is a moderately sized city of 200,000(and stagnant, it's been that since 1990), and historically culturally important due to the civil Rights movement. There's a decent number of stops in a few places but compared to Birmingham or Mobile (both within 10,000 of Montgomery's population) there's hardly anything.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It's even more fun in the densely populated but brand new suburbs of Phoenix where there's a lot of people but no stops because they weren't around when ingress first generated the map. I live next to a huge park in Tempe now though so I can just walk the dog and hit like 30 stops, it's nice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, there are a couple of stops that are georgraphically not that far from each other. But My city is in a river valley so two stops are like,8 blocks from each other, then to get to the next nearest stop you have to either go down a ridiculously steep hill that isn't meant for foot traffic, cut through a heavily forested area, or take a 30 block detour because of bridges and the river.

Or you could drive but then Go stops registering steps and that's why i stopped playing Go.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, there are a couple of stops that are georgraphically not that far from each other. But My city is in a river valley so two stops are like,8 blocks from each other, then to get to the next nearest stop you have to either go down a ridiculously steep hill that isn't meant for foot traffic, cut through a heavily forested area, or take a 30 block detour because of bridges and the river.

Or you could drive but then Go stops registering steps and that's why i stopped playing Go.

Just FYI now you can link it to your Google fit profile or the Apple one and it will register your steps even when you don't have the app open

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have an adamant Growlithe I can steal? Figured out way too late that I bought the wrong version for my bestie.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks is there a list anywheres of what Pokémon to wait before evolving? Searching online just mentions Go

Traditionally, any stone evolution doesn't learn much after evolution. Nidoking doesn't get poison jab, Arcanine doesn't get much of anything, etc. That's just from memory though.

Obvious exception to the rule is Eevee (except-except flareon who gets nothing even though it should)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

Press B during the evolution sequence.

Also out of curiosity, does every Master Trainer involve a one on one fight? If so, how exactly do the Metapod, Kakuna, Magikarp, and Ditto trainers work then?

I'm pretty sure the metapod fight is the same as the one in the anime

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Metapod can know tackle, string shot, and bug bite, so you ideally would go to another battle, use up most of your hardens and most string shot, then go to the master and use up your actual attacks and then struggle.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Metapod can know tackle, string shot, and bug bite, so you ideally would go to another battle, use up most of your hardens and most string shot, then go to the master and use up your actual attacks and then struggle.

Is there a move deleter you can visit to save a ton of time?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dienes posted:

Is there a move deleter you can visit to save a ton of time?

Well ideally you'd want four(or is it three) hardens to max out your defense so you win a struggle race

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Well ideally you'd want four(or is it three) hardens to max out your defense so you win a struggle race

Maxing requires six hardens

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got it into my head to try for a shiny Ponyta while I have the natures set to the right one for today and just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

I've got a chain of 31 for maximum shiny chance, and I have a Lure active. All I have to do is sit near a patch of grass, and wait for a blue one to spawn in?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

I got it into my head to try for a shiny Ponyta while I have the natures set to the right one for today and just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

I've got a chain of 31 for maximum shiny chance, and I have a Lure active. All I have to do is sit near a patch of grass, and wait for a blue one to spawn in?

Yeah that’s about it. I just finally just a 31 chain on Lapras. A chain I started last loving night and cost me over 100 Ultra Balls to reach. I’m only up to 70 some caught so just a little more before I can switch to Pokeballs and have a good shot at catching them in one go.

On the plus side my main team is level 50 now and I’ve evolved a ton of poo poo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that’s about it. I just finally just a 31 chain on Lapras. A chain I started last loving night and cost me over 100 Ultra Balls to reach. I’m only up to 70 some caught so just a little more before I can switch to Pokeballs and have a good shot at catching them in one go.

On the plus side my main team is level 50 now and I’ve evolved a ton of poo poo.

Oh does catching more of them give you a higher catch chance on that particular 'mon? Or is it transferring them that does that? Is that why the Professor keeps track of how many of each species you send him?

Good luck in your Lapras hunt! Lapras is a good dog.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Catching more of them gives you more XP and chains higher than 31 start giving you 3, 4, 5 and eventually 6 perfect IVs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gotta love Shiny-hunting in tall grass and then tripping over a small pokemon that's completely hidden on your way to it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has "checking their habitat" been a thing since before Let's Go? Because that's quite a nice thing to have so I don't have to look up an online guide for it.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Has "checking their habitat" been a thing since before Let's Go? Because that's quite a nice thing to have so I don't have to look up an online guide for it.

I believe that's been in every game since Gen 1.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Plasbad posted:

I believe that's been in every game since Gen 1.

What :psyduck:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Do you mean checking the route a Pokemon appears on? I'm pretty sure it's been in every game since gen 1, to varying degrees of usefulness. In earlier games, the information only showed up once you caught the Pokemon, if I remember correctly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh does catching more of them give you a higher catch chance on that particular 'mon? Or is it transferring them that does that? Is that why the Professor keeps track of how many of each species you send him?

Good luck in your Lapras hunt! Lapras is a good dog.

Catching. I don’t know the thresholds but after 70 almost all Lapras went from red to yellow circles with Ultra Balls. And even now with Pokeballs I’m getting catches in one go.

Kurieg posted:

Catching more of them gives you more XP and chains higher than 31 start giving you 3, 4, 5 and eventually 6 perfect IVs.

Doesn’t actually go higher than 4 perfect IVs at 31, unfortunately.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

In Generation I's Pokédex (model HANDY505), the entries are simple and each individual section can be accessed directly from the listing. The first, and main option—"Data"—includes an image of the Pokémon, its number, name, category, height, weight, and a short blurb. The second option—"Cry"—does not open a new screen; selecting it simply plays the Pokémon's cry. The last option—"Area"—displays the map, along with flashing indicators at each location where the selected Pokémon can be found; in cases where the Pokémon is not available in the wild, is only available once, or can only be found by fishing or in the Unknown Dungeon, the message "Area Unknown" will be displayed over the center of the map instead. Pokémon Yellow allows players to print entries using the Game Boy Printer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8RODWfuAQ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can Beedrill... normally learn the dragon type move Outrage? Cause holy poo poo

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

This joke is utterly ruined by reuploading it to YouTube.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Macaluso posted:

Can Beedrill... normally learn the dragon type move Outrage? Cause holy poo poo
no, there's normally no way for it to learn that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ever since gen 4 struggle has dealt a fixed recoil damage of 1/4th your max health. Defense really doesn't matter, the one who struggles first loses.