Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So here's a weird thing - if you do the Spanish Reconquista, the event troops.... never go away? They don't regenerate so if you use them they'll die off eventually, but you also get more troops each time you take the decision again and conquor more territory.

Send them to conquer the Americas when you finish with Iberia.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So here's a weird thing - if you do the Spanish Reconquista, the event troops.... never go away? They don't regenerate so if you use them they'll die off eventually, but you also get more troops each time you take the decision again and conquor more territory.

Event troops generally don't despawn. There are a small handful of exceptions I can think of, one of which explicitly says that you have to be at war for the units to stay.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can Basques do the Reconquista?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sheep posted:

Event troops generally don't despawn. There are a small handful of exceptions I can think of, one of which explicitly says that you have to be at war for the units to stay.

Feels like more event troops despawn than don't, because the ones available to everyone are the ones despawning on peace - tribal armies, assassin armies, chinese guard.
The non-despawning ones are generally tag or character specific or are some kind of one-time deal, like settling nomads.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
A tip for anyone getting caught for petty larceny by some nobody priest; just mash that ransom button. Don't wait to see what would happen. When given the choice just give up those stacks of esoteric knowledge, just do it. There is more of that around and keeping it wont spite your now rival captor much either.

The things you can do from confines of a cell though, oh my. Write books! Go on a journey to Kathmandu to visit the new converts to your faith. Become the leader of the Hermetic Society. Successfully conduct holy war in India.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So my Irish Dream is aparently a real n00b scenario, but you need to start as one of the petty kings, not just anyone, because apparently its really hard to go from an earl with a single province to king.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

So after watching a video about the history of Ireland, I decided I want to try to do that in CK2, but so far my attempts have been met in failure. I think its because either I don't get some mechanic of the game or I'm chosing the wrong place to start. I choose Dublin as my starting province, but I always get overwhelmed when one of the other Eire nobles decide to gently caress with me.

It doesn't help no one has any daughters on the whole island, wtf is with that?

Start with whoever on Ireland has the most counties. Start trying to fabricate a holding on one of the other counties in your duchy (unless you already hold a majority of your duchy). While you're doing that, send your marshal to train troops in your capital. Once you have a claim, taking out a solo county should be relatively easy. From there, you need to save up enough to form a duchy and ask the remaining count to become your vassal, and make war on him for it if he doesn't accept. Once you have a duchy, just keep taking out solo counties as much as you can. If you are liked by the pope, you can ask for claims. Also check once in a while to see if anyone in Ireland has switched to a heresy so you can declare war on them for it. Once you have 50% of the counties in Ireland, you can become a king and ask the rest of Ireland to become a vassal and fight them if they refuse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wooper posted:

The things you can do from confines of a cell though, oh my. Write books!

Just because Hitler did it doesn't mean it's recommended, even in a game of conquering Europe. Especially not, really.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

big dyke energy posted:

Oh, also question: what message setting do I have to tweak to stop the endless flood of 'Elder so and so now favors X as your Heir' popups, because the elders are constantly changing their minds since none of the candidates are of age. I cannot find whatever it is in the menu.

A vassal formed a high chief title too so now I get HIS flood of elders changing their mind every drat minute.

Click on the box in the bottom corner of the popup

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Goddamn my reformed African religion only allows gavelkind? Ugh. I thought you could go primo after reforming. Do you need to choose particular religious type now?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just got the poetry event chain from my monastic order again, but this time the poems cured my empress's depression! Good poems.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThomasPaine posted:

Goddamn my reformed African religion only allows gavelkind? Ugh. I thought you could go primo after reforming. Do you need to choose particular religious type now?

You need late administration as your realm law, which requires legalism 3 as tech in your capital.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Can Basques do the Reconquista?

I think they can but I’m not 100% because my current game is Catalan. I checked Navarre before I started though and I’m pretty sure the culture descriptor for Basque mentioned the reconquista.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

So my Irish Dream is aparently a real n00b scenario, but you need to start as one of the petty kings, not just anyone, because apparently its really hard to go from an earl with a single province to king.

Its more complex than it used to be owing to the added counties in this patch, but it's still pretty easily doable starting, as always, in Dublin (which is the optimal Holy Fury start anyway because there's a decent bloodline there). I tried it last night to see if tutorial island was still viable and united Ireland with my third ruler. Probably could have done it on the second but Satan did not see fit to heal her smashed brains with unholy magic, although he did heal her concurrent food poisoning which is about as accurate a representation of making a deal with the devil as I've seen. As ever it's vastly easier if you've got Jade Dragon because the CBs in that expansion let you just conquer people for basically no reason if you've got the cash and piety to throw around. I bet it saved me a decade of claim forging.

e it's also a little harder now that you can't just pull 2500 dudes from the aether, but I think that the prestige retinues made up for that pretty well.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 20, 2018

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
e quote isn't edit

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

anywhere in mide is good, ulster also has a bunch of empty holdings as well which'll give you more troops than most of your neighbours.

olafr the white in 867 is still my top pick though, cuz even if there is a spectacular amount of failure you just wind up as the king of norway.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't realize Ireland got more holdings now. I wonder if it's still possible to do the Dublin -> Crusade -> Jerusalem route just by showing up with some dudes and sieging land while the doomstack is elsewhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
New emperor of Italy finally comes of age, and I immediately get the Alexander the Great event chain. Half-way through it I'm worried it's stalled out because I haven't seen any events in a while, so I check my ambitions and sure enough one of them is "Forge a Bloodline." I figure Alexander must have failed and it just didn't tell me, whatever. Take the ambition, not a month later I get a pop up event that, because of my "high learning skill" (I had 9 Learning :downs:) allows me to get the "Philosopher King" title and forges a bloodline. That was... easy?

Then two months later the Alexander events start firing again, succeed, and now I've gone from one bloodline to three in half a year. :psyduck: Immediately used my shiny new Invasion CB to take the kingdom of Egypt because it felt appropriate. Also because I won Jerusalem in the last Crusade and wanted to sure up my gains.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some of the new event chains do seem to be a bit buggy. I had the children’s crusade stall out in Genoa with the “the kid is waiting for the ocean to part” fire three times before it actually ended.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
One thing that is probably old news, but I just discovered is that if you choose 'Autonomous' for Reformation Leadership, it gives you a a choice of four religious 'paths' which provide modifiers. Unfortunately in the context of Elective Succession , they give a -25 'Misinterprets the Sagas' modifier if the elector went down a different path than your candidate. It's often been enough to completely leave my candidate just stuck behind another.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there any compelling reason not to always pick Temporal?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

In my Jerusalem game I formed the Outremer culture, and now me and my direct descendants (plus some generated courtiers) are the only characters with that culture in the whole wide world.

It does have cool garbs though.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Complete CK2 newbie playing baby's first King of Ireland here, I started as the northwest Muaidhe guy.

When should I be going feudal? I clicked it, but maybe I should have waited?
How do I get my vassals to stop be tribes too? Build their forts for them?
How do I get bishops in my demesne to give levies? https://imgur.com/a/0rL2fhB
If I had a son marry into this bloodline I see kicking around - Blood of Niall, do their kids get it?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

wukkar posted:

Complete CK2 newbie playing baby's first King of Ireland here, I started as the northwest Muaidhe guy.

If I had a son marry into this bloodline I see kicking around - Blood of Niall, do their kids get it?
1. My suggestion would be to do it in the middle of a young ruler's reign; you're going to be in a weak position following the transition, so you want allies and tributaries to make up for losing half of your levies.
2. Yeah, build them forts, or conquer a castle holding to give to them. For my next run, I'm planning to take advantage of the fact that all my holdings upgrade when I take the decision, and revoke as much as possible so I can hand those new castles back out to my loyal followers.
3. Get him loyal to you instead of the Pope.
4. Unsure, the only bloodline I've played with so far is Ragnarr Lodbrok. I think so, though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Good gods, being pagan is now hideously easy. I don't think there's going to be enough Christians left to make a try at a decent crusade and the Sunni are suffering under the resurgent Zun having had the Arabian Empire shattered by me and China

One thing though, is that holy hell is going feudal an even larger weakening than before. The retinues help, certainly, but I went from 20K troops to circa 5K

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

Is there any compelling reason not to always pick Temporal?

Currently Temporal can bug and then every title you create as temporal becomes a theocracy.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
What does the intrigue event of having your chancellor help manage holdings do? It popped up when I inherited too many counties but I just handed them out manually.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It just randomly hands out titles until you're under the cap with no interaction or confirmation

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I'm starting to feel like the warrior lodge power that makes it more likely to capture your enemy is op. I keep winning wars because I nabbed the other side's king.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of newbie Ireland starts, since at least two people are trying them, classic favorite Murchad Ua Briain is still around in 1066, and better than ever because he now gets a bloodline, "Blood of Brian", from his grandfather. Prestige, personal combat bonus, Tanistry, and +5 opinion with Irish culture. Same bonuses as Niall's line except instead of the opinion boost Niall gets +5% light infantry morale, actually, since he was mentioned earlier. Also, Mumu is now four counties rather than three, and Murchad starts with three of them rather than two, albeit with two held by vassals now. So he's still a really good option for learning the game, particularly since he's feudal rather than tribal like the earlier start date guys.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

binge crotching posted:

I didn't realize Ireland got more holdings now. I wonder if it's still possible to do the Dublin -> Crusade -> Jerusalem route just by showing up with some dudes and sieging land while the doomstack is elsewhere.

I attempted this, I was the first to sign up for the crusade and immediately sent my full 6-7k army. My sponsor got a dukedom, I got 10k gold, a mountain of prestige/piety and 4 crusader artifacts.

I only just about had chance to land troops in North Africa before the war ended, I don’t think I even finished a siege.

I decided not to switch from king -> emir and Jerusalem fell after a couple of jihads.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Some of the new event chains do seem to be a bit buggy. I had the children’s crusade stall out in Genoa with the “the kid is waiting for the ocean to part” fire three times before it actually ended.

I had that event pop 3 times in Genoa as well but they moved on to Constantinople. I was in the process of taking the Holy Land for Byzantium so didn't want them there anyway. Luckily I was deceitful so got the option to sell them into slavery for 300 gold.

Also quick tip for anyone playing Byz and having issues with the Muslim blobs. The requestable Chinese Invasion CB is ridiculous. If they win they destroy all of the Empire's empire and kingdom level titles. If you do the Search for a Smith decision and get the crown jewels you can gift each piece for 1500 grace. That's 4500/5000 grace required. The AI cannot handle China attacking with 30k troops on the one side of their empire and you attacking from the other. As byz if you save for a couple of years you can basically shatter any Eastern empire at will.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

yeah. don't hesitate to start higher on the ladder if you want. everyone likes the idea of starting as Count Nobody of Zero and climbing up the ladder with a knife in your teeth but, playing as a catholic count is really boring most of the time

wukkar posted:

-try to time it so that you go feudal when you have the largest possible demense. all of your directly owned holdings will become feudal, saving you time. also try to ensure that you've built up the holdings properly - a level 2 weaponsmith in a tribe converts to a level 1 armory in a castle, a level 2 tribe town to a level 1 castle town, etc. but a level 1 building won't convert to anything. this can save you tons of money since prestige is easier to get as a tribal than money as a feudal. at the very least, thicken out your capital holding to take advantage of this conversion. otherwise try to do it before the vikings show up
-building forts for your vassals is expensive as poo poo and they will still take their time to convert anyway. just ignore them and wait for them to get around to it. you should generally never be building in your vassal holdings because there are so many other, better things to spend the money on - like buildings in your own holdings, claims, etc.
-any bishop who likes you more than the pope will give you stuff. any bishop who likes the pope more will ignore you. if you have a super charismatic pope, then you're out of luck. that's catholicism!
-check the bloodline, there's a little icon that will tell you if it can be inherited through the mother or through the father. you may see both icons

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Good Viking reformation doctrines? Warmongering and Sons of Ragnarok seems a no-brainer, but then I keep wondering between Monasticism, Equality and Ancestor Veneration.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

big dyke energy posted:

I'm starting to feel like the warrior lodge power that makes it more likely to capture your enemy is op. I keep winning wars because I nabbed the other side's king.

The warrior lodges in general have some ridiculously strong abilities for how easy it is to rank up in them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Warmongering kinda sucks unless you want every AI germanic pagan on the planet to call a holy war on the HRE, lose instantly, and tank your MA to nothing. I prefer Proselytizing or Unyielding. They go batshit aggressive with warmongering.

Sons of Ragnarok is definitely a no brainer though.

I'm trying out animistic to see what that's like as the second doctrine, but haven't seen much out of it yet.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Is there really any game breaking bugs? It seems pretty bug-free.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fat Samurai posted:

Good Viking reformation doctrines? Warmongering and Sons of Ragnarok seems a no-brainer, but then I keep wondering between Monasticism, Equality and Ancestor Veneration.

This is where I'm at with my African Pagan reformation; I'm still on the first king of Kanem so it's been mostly endless war interspersed with investing in holdings and fite mans. I think I'm swapping out Totem Guardians for Ancestor Veneration because the infidel taxing isn't terribly useful and I want the saints feature more, but the second one is vexing me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tormented posted:

Is there really any game breaking bugs? It seems pretty bug-free.

There are a few bugs with events and I had one crash when I tried to join someone else’s reconquista war (this might have been because I was already in one and they might have been targeting the same territory - I don’t remember the details), but yeah so far it doesn’t seem that there’s anything that just plain doesn’t work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

equality is always fun and theme appropriate for pagans, you end up doubling your personnel pool by getting women involved. it's the same as instantly maxing out the "rights of women" decisions. ancestor worship is fun too if you want viking saints

equality is almost game breaking because of the advantages it gives you in being able to treat women interchangeably as men