Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

got any sevens posted:

poo poo, i took knives in my carryon before 911

Theres people now that dont remember that shoes and water bottles are not actually dangerous to air travel.

Dead Beef posted:

venmo

i don't know if it's dytopian or just capitalism
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Bushiz posted:

Lmao if you don't set all of your transactions to private and assign the memo as a string of random emoji

same, i like to think im like Harriet the spy buying weed

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dead Beef posted:

speaking of unintended side-effects, the very real danger of social media is that the underlying data analytics are manipulating people in ways that nobody intended and that most people, even the designers, are unaware of

sometimes people might recognize that they're stuck in a social media loop, but the addiction wins out in the end, they see a post about "THOSE EVIL FUCKS WHO YOU SHOULD BE AFRAID OF" and they get sucked right back in because the AI in your personal hell has figured out how to exploit negative emotions to keep you hooked

the dystopian part comes into focus when you allow people to become billionaires by selling arbitrary third-parties access to a personalized media addiction system

Not sure about entirely unintended.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...paid-propaganda

quote:

Political campaigns can manipulate elections by spending as little as $400,000 on fake news and propaganda, according to a new report that analyzes the costs of swaying public opinion through the spread of misinformation online.

The report from Trend Micro, a cybersecurity firm, said it also costs just $55,000 to discredit a journalist and $200,000 to instigate a street protest based on false news, shining a light on how easy it has become for cyber propaganda to produce real-world outcomes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../?noredirect=on

quote:

The final price tag for the 2016 election is in: $6.5 billion for the presidential and congressional elections combined, according to campaign finance watchdog OpenSecrets.org.

https://www.axios.com/record-midter...d9847e7691.html

quote:

Political ad spending hits new record for 2018 midterm elections

More money will be spent on advertising this election cycle than any previous midterm cycle, according to the Center for Responsive Politics (CRP), which powers the election data website, OpenSecrets. While final tallies are still coming in, "it's safe to say that this is a new midterm record," says Andrew Mayersohn, Committees Researcher at CRP.

https://fee.org/articles/a-billion-...d-no-oversight/

quote:

The government spent about $1 billion annually on advertising and public relations from 2006 to 2015, according to a Government Accountability Office report on such federal spending.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...191886998000233

quote:

The results showed that the anxious patients have higher suggestibility, state/trait anxiety, dissociation and absorption scores than the normal controls. Suggestibility correlated positively with trait and state anxiety, dissociation and absorption in the entire sample.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1064785207360802816?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hahahaha

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mariana Horchata posted:

same, i like to think im like Harriet the spy buying weed

Memo: 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲👀👀👀👀

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This one thing, banned worldwide and outlawed in more than 50 countries

...but not in the USA!

:911:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Countries that have ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child are in green.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SplitSoul posted:

Countries that have ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child are in green.

Surprised not to see a tiny purple spot on the east coast of the Mediterranean tbh

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

ikanreed posted:

Surprised not to see a tiny purple spot on the east coast of the Mediterranean tbh

poo poo. it thought it was landmines.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

The tiny orange dots seem ominous. Are they Jersey, Gibraltar and Pitcairn?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

The tiny orange dots seem ominous. Are they Jersey, Gibraltar and Pitcairn?

It does not apply in Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Gibraltar, Guernsey and Tokelau. The U.S. has not yet ratified it because it means you can't give kids the death penalty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

though the Supreme Court said that isn’t allowed anymore so

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

though the Supreme Court said that isn’t allowed anymore so

not only that, but the Supreme Court specifically cited the UN treaty as a factor in its determination that child execution was cruel and unusual

but since then, no US president has sent it to the Senate for ratification. not even the one who said on the campaign trail that he was going to do so (I bet you can't guess who!)

incidentally, homeschooling groups and private school advocates also oppose the treaty because they're worried it might erode parental authority to indoctrinate their child, impose corporal punishment, and things like that. basically, these and other groups that treat children as their parents' pets rather than fully-functional human beings are strongly against the rights of the child. combine that with the usual conservative hate of the UN and that makes up the main front of opposition: people afraid that kids might get too many basic human rights

of course, you don't hear liberals talking about it much either

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

https://twitter.com/jbensnyder/status/1064759174574280704?s=19

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

They called their technology Faception. They could have picked any name and that's the name they chose. Also you should really check out their website, it's uuhhh..... interesting. Like some kind of cross between a new age cult and a subtley racist geocites webpage from the mid 1990s.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
So what do you do? Oh, I’m the head of the digital phrenology department at FJ Gall software.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

treat children as their parents' pets rather than fully-functional human beings

children are wonderful and precious, but they are definitely not fully-functional human beings

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

children are wonderful and precious, but they are definitely not fully-functional human beings

they are however human beings with the rights that that entails

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Neural Network Learns to Identify Criminals by Their Faces

quote:

All this heralds a new era of anthropometry, criminal or otherwise. Last week, researchers revealed how they had trained a deep-learning machine to judge in the same way as humans whether somebody was trustworthy by looking at a snapshot of their face. This work is another take on the same topic. And there is room for much more research as machines become more capable. Examining what our clothes or hair say about us is one obvious angle. And machines will soon be able to study movement, too. That raises the possibility of studying how we move, how we interact, and so on.
machines that can rank how "trustworthy" a person is based on their appearance, cool

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
america taught me that kids are immune to damage anyway so they don't really need rights

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SplitSoul posted:

gently caress Antarctica first spoiling my books and movies now not even considering the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child

Also, WHICH child? This might be important to Antarctica's stance

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shear Modulus posted:

they are however human beings with the rights that that entails

Like the right to be tracked by Facebook. :tinfoil:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

SplitSoul posted:

countries that went to the moon are in purple :smug:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Koishi Komeiji posted:

They called their technology Faception. They could have picked any name and that's the name they chose. Also you should really check out their website, it's uuhhh..... interesting. Like some kind of cross between a new age cult and a subtley racist geocites webpage from the mid 1990s.

lol it's jeff bezos at the top

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Koishi Komeiji posted:

terrorist and pedo are the same lol

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

BrownieMinusEye posted:

terrorist and pedo are the same lol

Drone operator: "Permission to fire sir?"

Boss: "No glasses and a five o'clock shadow? I say go."

Radio Operator: "Sir! intel says he has contacts and that's just the look this season!"

Boss: "Dammit, stand down men, we'll let the locals catch this pervert."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1065532639917064193

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Drone operator: "Permission to fire sir?"

Boss: "No glasses and a five o'clock shadow? I say go."

Radio Operator: "Sir! intel says he has contacts and that's just the look this season!"

Boss: "Dammit, stand down men, we'll let the locals catch this pervert."

If this took place in Afghanistan that pervert would possibly be on our side

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1065322478917033984

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Syncopated posted:

I'll just repost this from the OSHA thread https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash, very good article.

I'm surprised that the connection wasn't made about replacing one unquestionable-yet-erroneous head pilot with an electronic one. Or that producing idiot badly trained (and increasingly replaceable) pilots is a feature rather than a bug in an industry trying to push whatever cost-saving measure they can.

Also the pilots freaking out about the broken (but not actually broken) computer with hosed up (but not actually hosed up) readings that is blaring a mix of useful and useless alerts, advice, and orders at them reminds me a poo poo ton of watching people gently caress up repeatedly in a video game. It even has the similar castigation about how how bad the players are, rather than questioning why a system designed for ease of use by humans ends up creating confused and overwhelmed people making a billion errors a second. Controls not doing what they're explicitly meant to do is like Step One in how to turn reasonable people into idiots even in situations where you're not blaring sirens at them, and Step Two is taking information and interfaces meant to be informative and then, out of sheer designer arrogance, thinking its actually unimpeachable even when everyone that uses it keeps getting the wrong impressions.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Nov 22, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1065580400171466752

Basically, Hitman 2, a game about killing specific people, has a timed event which for shits and giggles has you killing Sean Bean (they also had a deal in the previous game where you had to kill Gary Busey). So when people, excited for this timed event, are tweeting "I'm going to kill Sean Bean tonight" Twitter permabans those people.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Koishi Komeiji posted:

are lovely fake machine learning startups the new lovely fake blockchain startups

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

seems like a lot of.... uhh anxiety and depression.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Basically, Hitman 2, a game about killing specific people, has a timed event which for shits and giggles has you killing Sean Bean (they also had a deal in the previous game where you had to kill Gary Busey). So when people, excited for this timed event, are tweeting "I'm going to kill Sean Bean tonight" Twitter permabans those people.

lmao

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

univbee posted:

Why would anyone with an endocrine system want to hurt Gary Busey?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why would anyone with an endocrine system want to hurt Gary Busey?

To see if they can.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Farm Frenzy posted:

are lovely fake machine learning startups the new lovely fake blockchain startups

lovely ML was first I think

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dead Beef posted:

countries that went to the moon are in purple :smug:

quoting this amazing self own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007