Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
I made a bunch of money off IBM buying out red hat last month, I might throw some of my evil central banker fiat currency into bitcoin so I can insist that its definitely going to be worth $250000000 next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Reminds me of the guy trying to get rich by buying Movie Pass shares.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 20, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's gotta stop falling eventually. I don't think anyone expected it to lost 1/3 of its value in a week.

We all expect it to completely crash eventually, but this doesn't seem like the time.

I hope I'm surprised. A nice long decline from now until Xmas would be cool. Would be nice to wake up on Xmas with BTC being sold for pennies.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Crashes are rarely a linear downward motion, but the long-term trajectory seems pretty obvious. Bitcoin is/was still in a bubble.

And there's no such thing as "this is the time" for a crash, they either happen or they don't. This is as good a time as any - there's simply less new money coming in, interest is way down and it's pretty obvious at this point mass-market adoption is never going to happen.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

a lot of the new (audited) stablecoins are now here so I wonder if the drop has something to do with people leaving tether for those. there's a lot of options now that are actually pegged, and that should decrease the pumping power of tether

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Business posted:

a lot of the new (audited) stablecoins are now here so I wonder if the drop has something to do with people leaving tether for those. there's a lot of options now that are actually pegged, and that should decrease the pumping power of tether

Its because a lot of people clearly decided to do the fork beside black friday together because its a pump and dump idea and wanted an excuse for dips which was plausible on both sides. Its very clearly not money, its just a game of chicken.

wit fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 20, 2018

Business
Feb 6, 2007

wit posted:

Its because a lot of people clearly decided to do the fork beside black friday together because its a pump and dump idea and wanted an excuse for dips which was plausible on both sides. Its very clearly not money, its just a game of chicken.

what does black friday have to do with anything

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Huh, turns out there is something out there even dumber than Bitcoin. But only just.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1064875576035561472

Bitcoin may soon be over, but dumb people buying into crushingly stupid get-rich-quick schemes will forever be A Thing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The fork has literally nothing to do with Bitcoin, that's just a stupid coiner explanation that never made any sense.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's like robert frost said, when you come to a fork in the road, SELL SELL SELL

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Bitcoin is starting to get near the proportional hit it took during the 2014/2015 era.

so you're saying it's time to buy?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Huh, turns out there is something out there even dumber than Bitcoin. But only just.

Bitcoin may soon be over, but dumb people buying into crushingly stupid get-rich-quick schemes will forever be A Thing.

Sweet momma mohammed these people are unbelieveable morons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parkingtigers posted:

buying the worthless currency of a vanquished foe to own the libs

white people love to adopt the trinkets of the people they wipe out don't they

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Business posted:

The tether pump thing was definitely not as simple as "print tether, buy butts". It would have collapsed long ago if they weren't putting something back into the system. They may have printed $2 billion tethers, but the vast majority of it will still be in accounts that bitfinex itself owns.

Heck, some of the best ways they could have made money with the scheme work better when people don't trust tether. When people want a big "hazard discount" to accept tether for their butts, that means it's possible to arbitrage between the low price on the tether exchange and a higher price on a dollar exchange. The risk is that you get stuck with the hot potato when the music stops. But bitfinex is the one playing the music...

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Look on the bright side!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so what you're saying is...I can buy bitcoin with my dinar :thunk:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

But bitfinex is the one playing the music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1R8Rx2db9c

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What's the exchange on the Dinar vs the Zimbabwe one?

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Well done everyone, we survived the great bear market of 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dog Friday posted:

Hopefully not over, but this is the most it's gone up since the big dip. So yeah, that was probably it for the time being. Now where is it going to level off this time? $6000 again?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Waltzing Along posted:

What's the exchange on the Dinar vs the Zimbabwe one?

Zimbabwe got rid to of it's dollar and is using a weird mix of currencies.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I've thought for a long time that $5k seems like the breaking point. Once Bitcoin falls below $5k, it should be Well And Truly Over.

But the HODL morons are really astonishingly resistant to... anything. So who knows.

Kinda predicting one last hurrah around $6-7k when Buttcoin people claim everything is happy again and then the currency dives until it's effectively dead. I'm sure people will continue to HODL it forever. It could fall to $.02/coin and there will still be threads popping up with people saying now is the time to invest.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

revwinnebago posted:

I've thought for a long time that $5k seems like the breaking point. Once Bitcoin falls below $5k, it should be Well And Truly Over.

I think the only way Bitcoin really dies is if we hit a “frisbee on the roof” scenario where the cost of mining the next coin is significantly more than the margin it brings in from selling it, and people shut off their miners resulting in an impossibly long time between coin mining and transaction processing. Otherwise, yeah we’ll have people pushing pennies across the table and pretending it’s a real currency until like 2099 when some kid with a quantum computer breaks it as part of a middle school science project.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dog Friday posted:

What was it down to earlier? I'm not giving up hope until it claws its way back to 5200 or so.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Ripoff posted:

I think the only way Bitcoin really dies is if we hit a “frisbee on the roof” scenario where the cost of mining the next coin is significantly more than the margin it brings in from selling it, and people shut off their miners resulting in an impossibly long time between coin mining and transaction processing. Otherwise, yeah we’ll have people pushing pennies across the table and pretending it’s a real currency until like 2099 when some kid with a quantum computer breaks it as part of a middle school science project.

This is pretty much correct, yeah

To that point:

https://twitter.com/doveywan/status/1064878600594305025?s=12

Chinese miners are saying just under 4K is the breakeven point for the biggest farms, so an extended price plummet far below that might do it (but some of those miners were likely the people propping it up at 6k for a year so...)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Adar posted:

To that point:

Chinese miners are saying just under 4K is the breakeven point for the biggest farms, so an extended price plummet far below that might do it (but some of those miners were likely the people propping it up at 6k for a year so...)

Jesus. It's on an industrial scale. So much waste.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ripoff posted:

Do only miners do transactions? If not, then at some point every coin will have been mined and all the miners will be shut off. So....how would that be different?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Some light for these dark times

https://blog.iota.org/coordinator-part-1-the-path-to-coordicide-ee4148a8db08

https://blog.iota.org/coordinator-part-2-iota-is-a-dag-not-a-blockchain-2df8ec85200f

https://blog.iota.org/coordinator-part-3-approaches-to-coordicide-583fb82382bc

https://blog.iota.org/coordinator-part-4-an-open-source-coordinator-7d3804931058

:blastu: FUD

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Satoshi bless you and your gimmick

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Do only miners do transactions? If not, then at some point every coin will have been mined and all the miners will be shut off. So....how would that be different?

For bitcoin, that time is sometime in the 22nd century and then the protocol just *waves hands* pays for itself with tx fees. If bitcoin is still a thing as specced today in 21xx the world’s last server farm will be underwater.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure some hardcore buttcoin believer thought it would end up in some massive space race type R&D push to mine the last coin.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Business posted:

what does black friday have to do with anything
Been an excuse for the drop and it all happened on same day. Some idea that people who have pumped into this lollercoaster all of them took their money out to go buy sofa. And no lol it didn't work as an excuse.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I bet the SEC coming for the ICOs has them cashing out so they can pay the investors in DIRTY FIAT MONEY when the investors come calling for their investments valued in USD at the time of their initial investment lol

of course, this is good for bitcoin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You should set up target practice in your house with signs that say fud

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Adar posted:

To that point:

loving hell, this is such disgusting waste. Anyone who approves of this should be publicly hanged.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah well...have you seen the size of a money printer

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
capitalism.gif

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

There Bias Two posted:

Jesus. It's on an industrial scale. So much waste.

You're right. They should leave those machines plugged in and guessing random numbers. Much less waste.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Adar posted:

To that point:

I feel like you could network an entire carribean island and have them all playing Fortnite with this much stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

I feel like you could network an entire carribean island and have them all playing Fortnite with this much stuff.

None of that hardware is good for anything but bitcoin mining