Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

coconono posted:

The Ultraman suggestion section is a barren wasteland. Ultraman Ace, Ultraman Nexus and Ultraman Orb are all good examples of their respective Ultra Eras.
Wanna elaborate a touch more? I'll basically just copy-paste whatever you write. I've never watched more than a few episodes of an Ultraman series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Right I still need to finish my massive write up nonsense later

Ace is an extremely charming and endearing show that takes a lot of its tone from Kamen Rider. It is a massively different beast compared to Return of Ultraman, despite being so close together.

It's way more a kids show, which in this case is in no way an insult

Unlike Taroh

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Shout Factory has released DVDs through Timeranger with Gaoranger set for release in December and they also went backwards and released Jetman. So that list should be updated in the OP as there are several seasons that lead to :filez:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Maybe it's just because I started with it, but having watched every show since W and a good number before it, I still think W is the best starting point for watching Kamen Rider.

E: Also, is Ex-Aid actually a good starting point for Kamen Rider? I feel like it's not very representative of what you should expect out of Kamen Rider at all, particularly how cartoony it is. As far as more recent shows go, I'd probably recommend Build or Drive first.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

coconono posted:

The Ultraman suggestion section is a barren wasteland. Ultraman Ace, Ultraman Nexus and Ultraman Orb are all good examples of their respective Ultra Eras.

Is Ace even fully subbed anywhere?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Maybe it's just because I started with it, but having watched every show since W and a good number before it, I still think W is the best starting point for watching Kamen Rider.

E: Also, is Ex-Aid actually a good starting point for Kamen Rider? I feel like it's not very representative of what you should expect out of Kamen Rider at all, particularly how cartoony it is. As far as more recent shows go, I'd probably recommend Build or Drive first.
My first was OOO and my favorite was Fourze, but they're both... odd, and have pretty significant failings near the tail end. Did Build end well? I could be convinced to recommend either it or W, though I never finished it.

Fezz posted:

Shout Factory has released DVDs through Timeranger with Gaoranger set for release in December and they also went backwards and released Jetman. So that list should be updated in the OP as there are several seasons that lead to :filez:
I'll fix that now.

Edit: Did OT ever even finish Timeranger before SF pulled the rug out from under them?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 20, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
build slumped and meandered for a while but it ended well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: Did OT ever even finish Timeranger before SF pulled the rug out from under them?

No but TV-Nihon apparently did for what that's worth.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fezz posted:

Also that every season from Zyuranger through GoGo V is up for free streaming on Shout Factory TV

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Added that, too. Also I put up OZC after all. Just made them a link to your main site because :effort:.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Is Ace even fully subbed anywhere?

Not legally or easily but yes

I'm getting them online at one place soon so I'll keep you posted

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The mecha fight and the ending of this week's LuPat obviously could only happen in this point in the story, but the A-Plot this week felt like it should've happened, like, twenty episodes ago...

Hope these next few final weeks are good now that we may finally possibly be going to the fireworks factory.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

No but TV-Nihon apparently did for what that's worth.

Less than nothing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also someone finished scrubbing Ryuki

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hope these next few final weeks are good now that we may finally possibly be going to the fireworks factory.
LuPat's bad, then? Or is it just the Toku Problem of losing its way in the middle?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PMush Perfect posted:

LuPat's bad, then? Or is it just the Toku Problem of losing its way in the middle?

LuPat is just very disappointing.
You know how Rider series you give them 12 episodes and then they start going nuts? It's the opposite of that with LuPat, where the first 12 episodes were extremely good and then it just kind of coasts on formulaic episodes and not doing anything with the things that made it interesting.
There's some really good and unexpected dramatic moments, but no one really gets to really do anything or get anything except the Lupins.
I was kind of hoping for better, because the first 12 started to feel like something more special than a kids show from Japan, felt pre-ToQger a little.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LuPat turned into The Lupen Show with special guests Patren basically, and that second show is entertaining sure; but it is wasting the potential of the setup so much.
It's still a lot of fun, which ultimately matters most, but a drat shame.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok Ultraman suggestions:

Ultraman Ace(1972)- hard to find but a friendly kids show about a team of science soldiers that fight off giant kaiju aided by Ultraman Ace. Notable for having a female co-lead(much to the dismay of weirdo creeps). Like many of the early Ultraman shows, its pretty formulaic in plot(monster arrives, science soldiers can't contain it, Ultraman shows up and beats it stupid) but gives the first long running villian in the series, Yapool. Ties into previous ultra series with famous Ultras showing up to kick rear end. Very kid friendly for the 70s, but kinda hosed up from a modern point of view in spots(Leo is easier to find and has a lot more "holsyshit they showed this to children?" moments). There's a narrator telling you everything that's happening in case you're lost.

Ultraman Nexus(2004)- A darker, grittier Ultra show borrowing a lot of 90s toku aesthetics. Its another science soldier team aided by a mysterious Ultraman. Features a kickin rad intro theme, a unique ultra-suit design and references to the Ultraman movie. Not really meant for kids, but marketed for kids, there's a running theme about memory loss and negative vibes that makes it a fun(if a bit grim) watch.

Ultraman Orb(2016)- part of the Ultraman resurgence(roughly analogous to Neo-Heisei Kamen Rider), it features a team of young mystery investigators aided by a mysterious Ultraman who is also a very mysterious dude with a weird harmonica. Kid friendly, lots of toys and quite a few spin off shows that haven't been fansubbed yet. The big deal, like previous Ultra shows of this era, it has special powerups based on classic Ultra shows.

Why is Ultraman cool? Its a legacy of Tsuburaya Productions, everything they did was homebrew, from the suits, to the sets, to the special effects. Japan got to see a different monster get roughed up each week by a cool lookin dude in a painted diving suit. Plus if you're a wrestling fan, you'll recognize some of the prowrestling moves Ultraman uses.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

By this point you could just cut the Patrangers completely and the series would barely change. They didn't even get to transform this episode and barely had any screentime! Their super mode was given to loving Noel as Lupin X, which is incredibly awkward because it makes Siren Striker the one toy to be constantly silent since its sounds are SUPER PATRANGER and the like! I couldn't give less of a poo poo about Kairi and his dog. The worrying was funny but ultimately pointless, as was this entire episode. Next episode seems more important to the plot and it'll at least have Patren U-gou but I'm not idiotic enough to believe the status quo will change this late into the series, so whatever. I'll keep watching, because it's a good waste of half an hour, but it sure wasted every single bit of potential it had and turned into a series that's okay at best, much like Kyuranger before it. Maybe Sentai just should drop team-based gimmicks entirely, the writers are awful at pulling them off (though I have to imagine marketing had quite a hand here as well).

Meanwhile Zi-O was much more interesting. That the time traveller takes that long to reach the obvious conclusion was a bit irritating but beyond that it was a great use of time travel, of Kouta's divinity, and of the series' framing in general, completely defying expectations from the very beginning. Zi-O Armor is amazing, and its first appearance was hilarious. Another Gaim being a Team Baron member is weirdly ironic.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Unless it gets way better I'll like Kyuranger more than this season, stuff felt like it was happening and changing in that one at the very least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

They didn't even get to transform this episode
what

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Justin_Brett posted:

Unless it gets way better I'll like Kyuranger more than this season, stuff felt like it was happening to Lucky and changing for Lucky in that one at the very least.

Semi-seriously fixed that for you. I think Stinger and Ho-Oh Soldier were the only others that came close to having plots anywhere close to Lucky’s, which is a bit bad when your main cast is like 13 characters. Also the villains loving sucked.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The preview makes it look like they will finally start doing plot advancement, it shows Touma fighting maskless with his blaster near/with Tsukasa. But we thought stuff like this before. :v:
(Well Kiari had his whole I need to stop being such a lone wolf jackass thing in this one I guess)

Also in some My uncle works at Nintendo level rumours Sentai might be in dire straits and go on hiatus if next year the toys also flop. Some person "leaked" a bunch of stuff, and 1 of them turned out to be true so who knows. Anyway enjoy this trailer for Banjou's no good very bad day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fuZR9DoSMc

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not even gonna try and place the continuity on that one and just enjoy the ride.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They’ve said before the Banjou movie is post-series. The Gentoku movie was during the series while he was an Amazing Shirt Man.

I think if Sentai takes a year off it’s going to be worse when it comes back. I guess registering a trademark means nothing, but the stuntmen, suit actors, etc aren’t all super likely to be coming back a year older and after finding something else to replace that regular job for 2019.

I think if the problem is toy sales that you only cancel for a year after you’ve already tried shortened seasons and going through toy concepts faster. Both Kyu and LuPat probably would have been decent filler-free shows under 25 episode seasons.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 21, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thinking on it more, I think Toei screwed themselves up. If toy sales are the problem, you don’t improve toy sales with teams of 10-12 rangers. They probably thought, “every kid just has to like one of these guys and then they’ll feel compelled to get the full set”, but reality isn’t like that. If I was a kid in Japan, I’d get the gold, silver, and purple Kyuranger and the rest could all fill up space in a toy store/warehouse. Even if they wanted more, parents have a limit. The only people who buy the whole team are probably adult collectors.

They should do a 30 episode season of three people who are joined by two more halfway through, and keep the filler poo poo down. Obviously it will be one of the ones Hasbro skips for PR.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zedd posted:

Also in some My uncle works at Nintendo level rumours Sentai might be in dire straits and go on hiatus if next year the toys also flop.
Maybe they should try making a show that's... good? :thunk:

Edit: Kids are smart enough to like and dislike things. Even if it's not a quality that we as adults would find compelling, they can tell when something's phoned in. And if the show's no fun, why would they want the toys from it?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 21, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a Reddit leak that's a repost of a 4chan leak.

Means nothing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a Reddit leak that's a repost of a 4chan leak.

Means nothing.

Normally I'd agree but the same person posted images of the Cross-Z trailer alongside it and when it'd be released, before it...well, was released. Seems they must have at least some insider source, though it doesn't mean that the non-Cross-Z stuff isn't bullshit.

Regardless, I'm not sure if I'd be sad if Sentai took a break. Toys aren't selling because, quite honestly, every mecha for a while has been absolute poo poo. None of them have even the smallest bit of movement, they all just jam in as they are and that makes for some terrible-looking giant robots. Go-Busters is the last series I remember having robots that were actually worth their screentime (not like robots get a lot of it) and it was absolutely an exception in a lot of ways. And plot-wise, we've had a succession of Sentai that have an interesting idea but then utterly fail at actually executing it to the point that it feels like the writers genuinely hated what they were trying to do (12 Rangers!...only one matters. Two teams!...only one matters), with the interesting exception of Zyuohger which was actually good, and there I can absolutely see why toys wouldn't sell because Zyuohger was horrible in both suits and robots.

If that'll keep happening, it's better to let it rest for a while. Kamen Rider can keep up alone, we've had a succession of good series with very few exceptions since Double, and even the current Zi-O, which started really mediocre, has turned very entertaining and interesting.

coconono posted:

I'm not even gonna try and place the continuity on that one and just enjoy the ride.

The "New World" in the title is because it happens in, well, the new world. It's post-series. Banjou is clearly shocked at Kazumin and Gentoku appearing, so something happened that either restored their memories or brought the versions from the old world in, this isn't just "oh this happens before the worlds got fused". Whatever it is also seems to have revived Evolto of all people, so it's shaping up to be quite the interesting special.

From the same leak as all the rest, if Cross-Z does well, it'll be followed by Mad Rogue and an origin story for Katsuragi Takumi.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 22, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wonder if that affects Bandai's plans at all or if they'll just keep chugging along and do Train Rangers

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The concept designs for Zi-O looked neat. The Gold one seemed extremely retro

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RealFoxy posted:

I wonder if that affects Bandai's plans at all or if they'll just keep chugging along and do Train Rangers

Hasbro owns Power Rangers now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Including the toy rights I believe (though Bandai is still running the Japanese side of things). But yeah, while going back to a Pre-Zyuranger season probably wouldn't work that well for a number of reasons that still leaves them with 4 (or 5 counting next year's Sentai) shows to choose from after Beast Morphers is done so it's not like they're gonna be starved for content any time soon.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Xelkelvos posted:

The concept designs for Zi-O looked neat. The Gold one seemed extremely retro

While the final design is still really good, these make me wish they hadn't gone with the katakana visor gimmick.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I would understand if Super Sentai took a break because toy sales are tanking, but I would not want them to do it just because the show's not so good. One Piece was/is/has been trash for years depending on how you look at it (animation and pacing, not content mind you) and it gets to stick around, Super Sentai should stick around too.

Even if the shows aren't as good as they could be, they're always a very enjoyable way to spend half an hour that I look forward to every week. Plus even when there are plot missteps or negative progress or what have you that add up to a not great show overall, even in recent memory there are very few episodes that I can remember actually disliking. Except for Robots, but frankly the robot fights peaked with GoBusters and even those were only okay when they got to the big parade float mechs so at this point I treat Sentai as a 15-20 minute show with a bonus robot fight that rarely does anything special but is always fun to look at. Even if they don't move the plot forward, I still like each individual episode. And since I'm not the type to go back and rewatch stuff I've already seen, that's plenty to keep me content and a fan.

Like the recent LuPat episode. There wasn't enough Patranger, sure, but it was a Lupin focus episode. Frankly the Super Patranger thing, while admittedly lovely, doesn't bother me at all because the fact that the Pats have remained so great despite little to no upgrades or extra gadgets just makes them better to me. It sort of feels like New School VS Old School. The Patrangers are like the older Sentai that didn't constantly collect gimmicks and just fought with what they had and their goal is just to beat the baddies and protect people. Meanwhile the Lupins are new school with lots of upgrades and their plot literally revolves around collecting stuff. Either way, the Pats are so far beyond the Lupins in likability and being interesting that the Lupins need all the time they can get before the endgame. That's maybe why this episode worked for me. Sure the progression with Kairi would have been better way earlier in the show, but I'm nonetheless happy that it happened and the last interaction between them was really sweet. It helps that the episode was a riot. The bird gag redux loving destroyed me.

In other news, Zi-O continues to be good. Geiz's uneasy alliance with the Time Jackers is fun to watch, Kouta (probably) loving around with Sougo and Another Gaim is a blast, and Confused Tsukuyomi was hella cute. Keep on keeping on, Zi-O.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i think it'd be cool to see what Toei would do if they gave super sentai a break, whether bringing back some older thing like Metal Heroes or doing something completely new

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I kind of wonder I’d the robots would be better if they went back to pre-Gaoranger designs without the endless gimmicky addon mechs that give it new weapons and finishers and poo poo. Westerners keep buying Dragonzord because of nostalgia, sure, but it’s also one complete mech that doesn’t leave you feel like you need to outfit it with multiple armors and weapons.

Have we ever seen any kind of polling on what Japan’s favorite mechs are?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

drrockso20 posted:

Whoops, that's who I actually meant, just had a brain fart.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Parallax posted:

i think it'd be cool to see what Toei would do if they gave super sentai a break, whether bringing back some older thing like Metal Heroes or doing something completely new

I actually do legitimately want to see a Space Sheriff reboot and see if that had any traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/brotome/status/670350536688975872