Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

They're doubling down and it owns

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17235220.spanish-foreign-minister-declares-an-independent-scotland-would-be-welcome-in-eu/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

My god, she's done it again...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Every action is a psychic attack on people with a brain

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

whoa good thing I have an alibi

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Oh drat. Spain has been fierce in it's opposition of recognizing regions breaking away to become nations due to Catalonia's secessionist movement. Turning around from their 2014 stance and going "yeah we'll let Scotland in" sure is unexpected.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Nov 20, 2018

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Looking forward to the reconstruction of Hadrian's wall

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
it’s not unexpected at all and the idea that an independent Scotland could eventually gain entry to the EU is not controversial either now or in 2014.

How good an idea that would be will depend entirely on the outcome of the uk/Eu trade deal talks.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Well before Spain was going to veto it because they didn't want to encourage independence movements

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

lol @ the guardian

This O'Hara oval office just loving wrote a study for the Tony Blair Institute which just lol at taking that twat's blood money.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twoday posted:

Well before Spain was going to veto it because they didn't want to encourage independence movements

Yeah I was going to say it is fairly unexpected actually because due to the whole Catalonia situation they have been fairly hardline about their feelings on the matters of regions breaking away then joining the EU. If Scotland can do it then it undermines a lot of their rationale for their stance on Catalonia.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

twoday posted:

Spain didn’t say they would veto an independent scotland’s attempts to join the Eu.

Spain did say an independent Scotland would have to apply to join rather than be allowed continual membership, but that’s also what the EU said.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They did make that threat but it was dropped later so you're both right? It's not like they flipped to 'we support it' though their stance is still opposed to any succession movements in general.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-a7662531.html

2017 posted:

Spain has long opposed the breakup of the UK as it fears this would give a boost to separatists in Catalonia, who have been putting pressure on the conservative government of Mariano Rajoy for an independent state.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

COMRADES posted:

Yeah I was going to say it is fairly unexpected actually because due to the whole Catalonia situation they have been fairly hardline about their feelings on the matters of regions breaking away then joining the EU. If Scotland can do it then it undermines a lot of their rationale for their stance on Catalonia.

If Scotland becomes independent, it'll be because the SNP persuades Westminster to sanction another referendum on independence. Amicable divorce is very different from unilateral secession, which is what Catalan nationalists have been aiming for.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

forkboy84 posted:

This O'Hara oval office just loving wrote a study for the Tony Blair Institute which just lol at taking that twat's blood money.

his treachery has disgraced us

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's why Spain has softened their stance sure but they were very much opposed in 2014 and still aren't exactly keen on the idea is all.

Anyway I feel like Catalans would love an amicable divorce if Spain would let them have it but that's another thread I suppose.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Spain can gently caress off their moaning about gibraltar when they gave those 2 in morocco back to morocco

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pissflaps posted:

Spain didn’t say they would veto an independent scotland’s attempts to join the Eu.

Spain did say an independent Scotland would have to apply to join rather than be allowed continual membership, but that’s also what the EU said.

Scotland only got their referendum because Cameron knew the wind was blowing towards "No".

We only got an EU referendum because he thought he could get away with it a second time.

I live in Barcelona and while I'm fairly neutral when it comes to whether Catalonia should be independent or not, I will say that after two years the ultra-pro-independence-everyone-else-is-a-fascist lot really get on my nerves. And their politicians are as retarded as ours.

Captain Splendid has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Nov 20, 2018

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Also Spain feels more comfortable playing realpolitik with secessionist movements now that they know everyone will politely not notice them crushing the Catalans

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Looking like it's the curtains for Harry Leslie Smith :(

https://twitter.com/Harryslaststand/status/1064960820851879936

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
that’s sad but it shouldn’t affect his twitter account’s output

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1064966408180826120

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1064961219247972354

The sooner landlords are banned from breathing the better.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://twitter.com/ljwnorth/status/1064972877026533383

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How can anyone be this dumb and still appear to be a functioning adult. Is her carer just out of the frame

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What were the amendments? They passed the SNP's as well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OhFunny posted:

What were the amendments? They passed the SNP's as well.

https://twitter.com/BBCParliament/status/1064958853027168256

That's about the most information I can find

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the UK makes me feel good about myself

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

logikv9 posted:

the UK makes me feel good about myself

how low must your self-esteem be for this steaming shitpile of a country make you feel good?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

Spain can gently caress off their moaning about gibraltar when they gave those 2 in morocco back to morocco

Posting the Mail Online below the line comments now?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

how low must your self-esteem be for this steaming shitpile of a country make you feel good?

it makes me feel good knowing that my dead gay country is somehow being outdone when it comes to killing itself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1064997741418479617

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Will there be human poses struck?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Franklinsays/status/1064809754508308480

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Given that Larry caught a mouse recently, he has a strong claim to be the only competent member of the cabinet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/20/britain-boardroooms-brexit-westminster-europe

quote:

Instead of building factories to make things to sell to the world, big businesses will instead put their money into storage and showrooms to sell things to Britons. The UK will become, Gregory says, “a warehouse economy: low skills, low productivity and low growth”.

That projection was already a reality for lots of people I met who plumped for Brexit in 2016. They were on minimum wage and had minimum rights and minimum prospects. If Brexit is to be radically changed now, it is those voters – the disenfranchised Labourites, the sod-them-all brigade – whose support is needed. A second referendum, in which well-meaning metropolitans offer those in the Rhondda the status quo, probably deserves to fail. Instead, any remain option will have to come with a worked-out argument about rebalancing power in this country. And that means reshaping the relationship between capital and the rest of us.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

COMRADES posted:

Yes, a market crash has never caused an economic recession. I mean it's not suddenly it is way harder to get credit for regular people or anything when that happens. No effects at all! Definitely no mass layoffs ever!

post hoc ergo propter hoc

you said the economy crashed because stocks crashed, THIS IS FALSE

edit also DJI is -2% over 6 months, that by definition is a recession for those stocks, and nothing happened to the real economy because of that

https://www.google.com/search?q=dow+jones+6+months&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

edit again because I checked and you also lied about the FTSE lmao, over 10% down over 6 months

Goa Tse-tung has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Nov 21, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Goa Tse-tung posted:

post hoc ergo propter hoc

edit also DJI is -2% over 6 months, that by definition is a recession for those stocks, and nothing happened to the real economy because of that

https://www.google.com/search?q=dow+jones+6+months&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

edit again because I checked and you also lied about the FTSE lmao, over 10% down over 6 months

OK you obviously don't know the difference between a crash, a recession, or a correction then. How did I "lie" about FTSE?

Looks like it was more or less relatively flat all year to me, not really going anywhere. Volatile, sure, but could say that about any market this last year. Call me when you're hitting the circuit breakers daily and people are doing bank runs.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Nov 21, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I really don't get why this is controversial. If a stock price is crashing the investors will demand action and typically the first thing that happens is layoffs and pay freezes for the workers. The next thing that happens is cut backs on investments and shuttering plans for new expansions which people were relying on for jobs, along with wage and benefit cuts. You get that right? It's basic. In fact, stock crashes effect middle class and poor people the most. You really think it only matters to the rich? They just buy the dip and hold. Sometimes if the loss is big enough they even get it covered by your tax dollars; another way it affects ordinary people. If your government gives X pounds sterling to a bank as a bailout then that directly represents money that can't be spent on public goods and services.

Not to mention the effect it has on retired people on a fixed income mostly generated from retirement savings.

If the Tories intentionally gently caress the FTSE as a "see shoulda voted with us" and you think that will have 0% effect on anyone working for those companies or regular people on the street then you're just wrong.

e: Like you get how bank runs during the Great Depression happened, right?

quote:

The United States stock market crash in 1929 left the public susceptible to rumors of an impending financial crisis. There was a decrease in investment and consumer expenditure, which led to increased unemployment and decline in industrial production. A wave of banking panics worsened the situation, with anxious depositors rushing to withdraw their bank deposits. The simultaneous withdrawals forced banks to liquidate loans and sell their assets to meet the withdrawals.

The first bank run started in Nashville, Tennesse, in 1930 and this triggered a wave of bank runs in the Southeast as customers rushed to withdraw their deposits. Banks hold only a fraction of the deposits, with the rest of the deposits being loaned out to other clients. Due to a cash shortage, banks were forced to liquidate the loans and sell assets at rock-bottom prices to supplement the mass withdrawals.*

*Meaning they had nothing to lend either, if they didn't just go bankrupt outright, so sucks for if you need credit which 99% of the modern economy runs on.

Super heavy galactic stuff, here.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I'm not entirely sure about what I'm reading here, but it sounds like the British English version of "Economic anxiety".