Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Just running around the player housing area is cool, it feels like checking out random street pass houses in animal crossing which I always loved doing

I didn't know the player housing existed until I was level cap and had been playing for months and I dropped everything I was doing to wander around them for like 3 hours the first time I went. It's so cool. I want a house, even though they're a racket designed to make you keep paying the monthly fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This game is super chill. Made it to level 10 class and main story quests last night -- I love the music and the cutscenes and the writing is really charming. Can't wait to learn my crafting skills

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Small note about crafting: if you want to learn one crafter you pretty much have to learn them all and become an omniscient handyman because they all correlate to eachother and require skills and materials the other crafters have at higher levels.

Except fishing really, its kind of its own thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

But it is pretty fun and relaxing, gatherer jobs are mostly just wandering the world and clicking buttons to harvest stuff, but the crafters are playing a turn based strategy game pretty much, and to make high quality gear you need to pay attention and plan ahead, its neat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm a big gathering fan myself, you're also doing some planning when going for HQ and colletsbles. The way this game handles gathering/crafting is fairly unique.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

esperterra posted:

Man I need to start playin XIV again.

I'm kinda tempted to too

i'm really glad the yahve the job system because fuuuuuuck ever going through all that story content ever again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm kinda tempted to too

i'm really glad the yahve the job system because fuuuuuuck ever going through all that story content ever again

There's a lot of charming stuff about xiv and the presentation in the expansions just got better and better but boy, the 1.x patch content is just about the miserable poo poo I've ever experienced

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ok officially back on my bullshit now time to log in again

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

In Training posted:

There's a lot of charming stuff about xiv and the presentation in the expansions just got better and better but boy, the 1.x patch content is just about the miserable poo poo I've ever experienced

At what point do you get out of 1.x?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Over There posted:

At what point do you get out of 1.x?

sorry i meant 2.x, its the story patches between the launch of Realm Reborn and the first expansion, it has as many quests as the main story but its 100% cutscenes and you get no xp from them. So its like 15 hours of listening to NPCs babble.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think theres cool story stuff that does happen in that long stretch, especially the back half as it leads into heavensward, but it is hella long.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I think theres cool story stuff that does happen in that long stretch, especially the back half as it leads into heavensward, but it is hella long.

A lot of it is go talk to a person 10 feet away, watch a cut scene, then go back to the quest giver and watch another cutscene.

And content still assumes you're capped at 50 so it's piss easy and doesn't do much to break up the cutscenes.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

What would you say the ratio of Final Fantasy Game to MMO is?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

More Final Fantasy, its still an mmo world with mmo gameplay but until you catch up to endgame its pretty much an exceptionally big single player rpg focused on story and characters with occasional breaks of group content as you do dungeons and big boss fights with other people.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the endgame boss fights are also just reinventions of final fantasy classics in their engine, it's awesome. Especially sigmascape, that was top bottom killer, and the only raid stuff I've been active during. I'm looking forward to playing alphascape once I get around to it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's definitely an MMO. Doesn't play at all like a single player FF

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's definitely an MMO. Doesn't play at all like a single player FF

This plus sub fee pretty much keeps me from pulling the trigger and trying it. Mmo combat and quest structure is the worst.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

This plus sub fee pretty much keeps me from pulling the trigger and trying it. Mmo combat and quest structure is the worst.

The free trial lets you play (mostly, I think you're restricted from player marketplaces and stuff) unimpeded for as long as you want with a level cap of 35. It's definitely enough time to get a feel for the structure, seems like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. I mean you're not gonna like the first 50 level's if you don't like MMOs, but at 50+ they overhauled the way every class works and they're more fun. But there's still a lot of killing 8 sheeps

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol cool I like that fishing is its own class with its own gear and skill trees and stuff.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm leveling an archer because a bard looks fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Over There posted:

I'm leveling an archer because a bard looks fun.

Its one of the most wanted classes cause it does good damage and has a bunch of skills that make everybody else do more damage too.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

Lol cool I like that fishing is its own class with its own gear and skill trees and stuff.

It's the best part of the game.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It has all the bad stuff from MMOs but they put in the good stuff from final fantasy. I didn't think I'd like it but it won me over.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It's definitely an MMO but it has some novelties about it, almost enough to offset the bad stuff like inventory management. When I last played managing your stash/inventory was a horrendous chore and an obvious tactic to get people to buy more NPC item handlers, but maybe it's better now? Honestly if somebody tells me they made glamours manageable that might sell me on coming back.

Music and visuals are top notch if you care about that sort of thing, characters are hit or miss. And as others said it has the best crafting/gathering system out of any MMO I've played.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In Training posted:

I didn't know the player housing existed until I was level cap and had been playing for months and I dropped everything I was doing to wander around them for like 3 hours the first time I went. It's so cool. I want a house, even though they're a racket designed to make you keep paying the monthly fee.

i deadass only log in lately to keep my house from being destroyed lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Small note about crafting: if you want to learn one crafter you pretty much have to learn them all and become an omniscient handyman because they all correlate to eachother and require skills and materials the other crafters have at higher levels.
But if you just want to dabble a bit, leveling Alchemist as a crafter and Miner as a gatherer works well together, and you can make a huge amount of money selling low/mid-level Alchemist crafts on the market board because other crafting classes need so many of them for leveling.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In Training posted:

Im fine with the monthly fee in principle because theres nothing else in the game to spend money on after a point.

e: oh you mean real money

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Corner the effervescent water and natron markets

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's definitely an MMO but it has some novelties about it, almost enough to offset the bad stuff like inventory management. When I last played managing your stash/inventory was a horrendous chore and an obvious tactic to get people to buy more NPC item handlers, but maybe it's better now? Honestly if somebody tells me they made glamours manageable that might sell me on coming back.

Music and visuals are top notch if you care about that sort of thing, characters are hit or miss. And as others said it has the best crafting/gathering system out of any MMO I've played.

They expanded the player inventory, and they added a weird system for glamours where you can add stuff into a wardrobe and save stuff to a plate that you can repeatedly apply to whatever you're wearing. Its not ideal and you cant collect absolutely every item, but its way better than the old system, which is also still in place

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The new glamour system is tight as hell compared to the old one. I still wish you could do cross class glamours tho. So many of the armour pieces I want just don't fuckin work on my monk, RIP.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tried playing a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it. Not an MMO guy

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

spb posted:

Tried playing a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it. Not an MMO guy

It's not bad honestly but if I lost my account and had to redo all of the Realm Reborn content there's no way I'd ever bother.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think I’m gonna try out FF12 Zodiac Age this weekend. I haven’t played it since the original PS2 release

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think I’m gonna try out FF12 Zodiac Age this weekend. I haven’t played it since the original PS2 release
Zodiac Age is easier but it also means you can play around with weird gimmick builds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna get it on switch bc the TV/portable option for JRPGs is simply unparalleled and it's my preferred platform for the genre now...I may even wait the six years for DQXI lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I'm gonna get it on switch bc the TV/portable option for JRPGs is simply unparalleled and it's my preferred platform for the genre now...I may even wait the six years for DQXI lol

I was thinking about waiting for the Switch version but I just don’t wanna wait! gently caress!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Zodiac Age is easier but it also means you can play around with weird gimmick builds.

i'm sort of at a loss as to how ff12 can get easier. like, the beginning of the game is generous and after you get gambits, it;s about programming the bulk of the game to play itself. half of the boss fights are just doing the limit break chain right and the other half are just layering making basic final fantasy decisions over the "play a final fantasy game" programming that gambits are. admittedly we never got to that endless multiple hour hunt or whatever, but we got like 10 out of the twelve espers.

don't get me wrong, my brother and i have played through most of it more than once and enjoyed it, it's not a bad game, but i think it's definitely the easiest FF game besides... maybe 10? and that's only if you're not playing 10's mini-games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every FF is easy except maybe XIII if you don't understand how to paradigm shift, which apparently a lot of people don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i'm sort of at a loss as to how ff12 can get easier. like, the beginning of the game is generous and after you get gambits, it;s about programming the bulk of the game to play itself. half of the boss fights are just doing the limit break chain right and the other half are just layering making basic final fantasy decisions over the "play a final fantasy game" programming that gambits are. admittedly we never got to that endless multiple hour hunt or whatever, but we got like 10 out of the twelve espers.

don't get me wrong, my brother and i have played through most of it more than once and enjoyed it, it's not a bad game, but i think it's definitely the easiest FF game besides... maybe 10? and that's only if you're not playing 10's mini-games.
They're using enemy stats from the IZJS version, but in Zodiac Age you get 2 jobs instead of one, which means twice the license board stat bonuses.