Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This mass shooting really opened up space in the classrooms!

Wildfire is part of any ecosystem where plants growth is dense and treating it like a shooting is a whole 'nother level of dense.

You're a dumbass, is what I'm getting at, since I figure you won't get the joke above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TulliusCicero posted:

The Republicans just took their biggest electoral loss since Watergate. How the gently caress are they still in the delusion of "winning?"

Because they still hold 2 1/2 branches of government and will do so for a minimum of 2 years?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CPColin posted:

I'm not sure how to read "enhancing" as anything other than a positive sentiment. They could have said "affecting" or "altering" and nobody would have batted an eye.

Or just leave sunset out of the title of your fluff piece. Most people would find "Smoke from California wildfires pooling over DC" sufficiently amazing to click on the article, where the sunset comment would less problematic in context.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

axeil posted:

But the sunsets do objectively look better/more colorful.

I think people are just looking for things to get mad about.

I suggest you all get mad at my bf's graphics card on my behalf, maybe our collective anger will shame it into behaving itself. The new CK2 expansion lets you play as animals, and I'm missing it because of that stupid card :argh:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

I suggest you all get mad at my bf's graphic card on my behalf, maybe our collective anger will shame it into behaving itself. The new CK2 expansion lets you play as animals, and I'm missing it because of that stupid card :argh:

I have patience for graphics cards. I'll try to help.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Munkeymon posted:

Wildfires in California are gonna happen regularly to some degree, just like hurricanes, and finding a silver lining isn't something worth getting upset about.

Might be different if it was just a run of the mill California wildfire and not one that has erased entire communities and maybe killed a thousand people.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Wildfire is part of any ecosystem where plants growth is dense and treating it like a shooting is a whole 'nother level of dense.

You're a dumbass, is what I'm getting at, since I figure you won't get the joke above.

It's still a disaster. One that killed over 70 people.

Nothing wrong with trying to find a silver lining. But silver linings can be incredibly tone deaf too, and it's normal to call them out when they are.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

why can't people just be a little more upbeat about their towns burning down, gosh

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

I suggest you all get mad at my bf's graphics card on my behalf, maybe our collective anger will shame it into behaving itself. The new CK2 expansion lets you play as animals, and I'm missing it because of that stupid card :argh:

What kind of card?

Everyone should get to experience the insanity of the newest CK2 expansion, it's amazing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

axeil posted:

But the sunsets do objectively look better/more colorful. It's for a horrible reason, but you can't change the reality of how the sky looks.

Dozens of people are dead, hundreds are missing, thousands are homeless, millions are choking on the ashes. I think it's okay for us to be upset at this headline.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

axeil posted:

But the sunsets do objectively look better/more colorful. It's for a horrible reason, but you can't change the reality of how the sky looks.

a finance guy? getting upset people are being downers about losing their homes? SAY IT AIN'T SO

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

"The smoke from 9/11 is enhancing San Francisco's sunsets"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crow Jane posted:

:wtc:

Also I am blown away that something like CK2 wouldn't be playable without a graphics card but I guess given what I bolded nothing is surprising anymore.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

enraged_camel posted:

Trump's statement about the Saudis paying $40-50 million for his apartments is actually a stunning admission of a massive conflict of interest, and is guaranteed to be used against him in the various lawsuits that have been filed regarding the Emoluments Clause.

That quote was from 2015, it just has extra relevance now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Actually people have been making this argument for a really long time, but I'm glad it finally got through I guess :shrug:

yeah well i'm apparently incapable of giving you credit for anything good, so

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
imagine having your brain so abjectly, totally rotted by Both-Sidesism that presented with people burning alive, your reaction is "well yeah, but at least their deaths had a fun aesthetic side effect for me!"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

axeil posted:

What kind of card?

Everyone should get to experience the insanity of the newest CK2 expansion, it's amazing.

Nvidia something or other. Something screwy happened with it after the last Windows update, and basically nothing is working. It was probably due for an upgrade soon anyway (I think he built the computer in 2014 or so?), but this is the worst possible timing. The teeny amount of Holy Fury playtime I got in before the crash was amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Who the gently caress can afford a new graphics card these days

One percenter spotted?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The year without a summer caused really nice sunsets but also a global famine so I guess we have to burn a bunch of 19th century landscape paintings now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hahaha look at Trumps right leg. It’s like 6 feet long.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One percenter spotted?

Due to crypto's continued value decline, Nvidia has an inventory glut that's going to take a couple of fiscal quarters to resolve. Cards will be priced for the masses.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DandyLion posted:

In a 5-4 decisions today, the Supreme Court ruled that emolu...........

6-3

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I can only imagine how lumpy Trump would look if you packed him into football pads. Kinda like bread baking around twine.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mango sentinel posted:

Might be different if it was just a run of the mill California wildfire and not one that has erased entire communities and maybe killed a thousand people.

Would it? People in the Trump thread were looking forward to the post-hurricane devastation depressing turnout in the Florida panhandle. Not saying you were one of them, but I don't remember anyone getting mad about an article pointing that out, but that's at least partially why I'm comparing it to a hurricane.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Munkeymon posted:

That's the default. Drugs only get cheap per unit dose when you can stick a billion dollar factory at the business end of a long supply chain of other factories and crank it out by the ton. Note that by 'expensive' here I mean 'expensive to a normal person', so probably 4-5 figures, not goddamn 7. Totally reasonable for a treatment that'll prolong lives by decades and prevent equally or more expensive hospital stays, by which I mean to say that this is all still a capitalist perversion of common sense and basic morality but some perspective is important. It will never be as cheap as ibuprofen.

but the guy in the article specifically said the price was chosen in relation to the other drugs for this condition, so clearly the "default" isn't applying here

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One percenter spotted?

I am going to be a modern day Robin Hood and break into bitcoin miners' basements to steal their cards to distribute to those in need.

What would they do, chase me? Those types think that cardio is one of the Kardashians

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Condiv posted:

but the guy in the article specifically said the price was chosen in relation to the other drugs for this condition, so clearly the "default" isn't applying here

From what they were saying, I'm pretty sure Tibalt was talking about the cost to manufacture, not the asking price, which, yes, was clearly just gouging because they figured they could.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Munkeymon posted:

Wildfires in California are gonna happen regularly to some degree, just like hurricanes, and finding a silver lining isn't something worth getting upset about.

observing that "sure tons of people just died but man did you see the sunset their burned up bodies produced" is kinda like going to a funeral and saying "yeah, you might be a widow now but imagine all the hot dudes you can date!"

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 20, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Munkeymon posted:

From what they were saying, I'm pretty sure Tibalt was talking about the cost to manufacture, not the asking price, which, yes, was clearly just gouging because they figured they could.

cost to manufacture doesn't seem to be an issue cause they already admitted they were gouging, and when people refused to pay the exhorbitantly high price they immediately shut down production instead of lowering the price

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol at retirement. Just hope I got the house paid off by the time I need to switch my career to Wal-Mart greeter. There's one within walking distance

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sunsets must have been amazing when we were burning every city in Europe to the ground every night.

We should do that again.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1064952535843262465

BUT HER EMAILS

I hope they literally just quote from the poo poo the GOP gave Hillary.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Condiv posted:

observing that "sure tons of people just died but man did you see the sunset their burned up bodies produced" is kinda like going to a funeral and saying "yeah, you might be a widow now but imagine all the hot dudes you can date now!"

The tragedy isn't that the fire happened, it's that people died. Finding a silver lining to the fact of the fire happening is totally different from looking for upsides to people being dead.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is going to be loving miserable when the Democrats get into the house.

He has had over 2 years where only the courts have check and balanced him.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Munkeymon posted:

The tragedy isn't that the fire happened, it's that people died. Finding a silver lining to the fact of the fire happening is totally different from looking for upsides to people being dead.

you really cannot seperate the two. especially when people are freshly dead from the fire

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is that spreadsheet of goon twitters still around? I created one a few weeks ago to post dumb Xbox screen shots and get a fancy gold weapon in the new Tomb Raider, but I wanna follow you funny people and I didn't get in on the first round of twitter jerkin'

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Condiv posted:

cost to manufacture doesn't seem to be an issue cause they already admitted they were gouging, and when people refused to pay the exhorbitantly high price they immediately shut down production instead of lowering the price

I was trying to point out that, if you remove profit motive and sell it at cost of manufacture, it'll still be relatively expensive to produce per-dose.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

we have found it, ladies and gentlemen. the pure, platonic inverse of "gently caress this guy, not for what he did, but for the inevitable legislative response"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hahaha look at Trumps right leg. It’s like 6 feet long.

No, in fact it's anatomically accurate when you add the length of the bone spur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Condiv posted:

you really cannot seperate the two. especially when people are freshly dead from the fire

:shrug: I can. That those people died was a failure of our society to prevent their deaths, so that's our fault and we suck and should feel bad about that. We can't prevent the fires, just deal more effectively with the consequences.