Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also the church is real big on cutting off contact with anyone who leaves

Imahine just completely losing large parts of your support network over night, it's loving terrifying

Not to mention your bosses, your manager(s), your financial advisers, your 'therapist', your agent(s), etc.

You know, the stuff actors/musicians spend decades of work to earn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

You don't just "leave" Scientology. It's not like how you can just stop going to your temple or stop being Catholic. The whole "sign up" process has you relive trauma repeatedly while being recorded. They systematically brainwash and break you while making notes of everything. They have powerful lawyers with infinite pockets and time. Don't think give out special web browsers that censor the news and poo poo? They have a network of spies, stalkers and harrassers to bother anyone that tries to leave or messes with members.

The only way to leave 'religious' organizations like Scientology and the Church of the Latter Day Saints is to basically die. I dunno how folks like Leah Ramini manage it.

Not the rule but there are a handful of exceptions who leave without a violent split or Scientology publically going after them like Jason Lee and Lisa Marie Presley, I have no idea how that works though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Not to mention your bosses, your manager(s), your financial advisers, your 'therapist', your agent(s), etc.

You know, the stuff actors/musicians spend decades of work to earn.

Because heywood isnt full of those people who would flock to Travolta in a second if he left their scientology counterparts. Sorry but enough people have left the church already for it to be some insurmountable task for a rich celebrity A lister. If paul blarts tv wife can do it he can.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Again, he’s been so thoroughly brainwashed from spending literal decades in a cult that tells him he’s subhuman unless he suppresses and eliminates his homosexuality. Breaking from that, for anyone, is extremely difficult.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Can't believe I almost missed celebrity Scientology chat!

So basically the deal with Tom Cruise is that he had a traumatic childhood with an abusive father. The family constantly moved around the country (and at one point Canada) and he was often bullied in school. His father eventually left the family for a younger woman and hosed off to another state, which has later been a big reason why he consistently has father issues written into his scripts (even in stuff like Top Gun, where he was given full control over a rewrite, there's subtle references to it). The family was incredibly poor and sometimes couldn't afford Christmas presents and eventually it boiled up into him becoming this very driven, determined, but immensely damaged person -- the perfect mark for a cult like Scientology that engages in blackmail through the guise of therapy.

Of course since then he's fully bought into it. He's easily the biggest celebrity in the cult and has become a personal friend of David Miscavige to the point he's become a de facto second-in-command. If his role as A-List Celebrity Tom Cruise was so vital to the church's image (more importantly internal morale and propaganda) he would probably take the role officially.

When you actually look at the list of celebrity Scientologists it's surprisingly shorter and more D-List than you'd think with names like Cruise and Travolta involved. Cruise is a massive pillar of the organization and if he ever turned against them he could potentially bring the entire thing crashing to the ground. Other big names include Elizabeth Moss, Beck, Michael Pena, Giovanni Ribisi, Juliette Lewis, Kirstie Allie, and Greta Van Susteren but after that it quickly starts dipping into more obscure names with way less cultural capital (how powerful is Jason Dohring or Jenna Elfman, really?)

But to leave Scientology is to paint a target on your back. I believe Leah Remini's show had to be cancelled finally because the pressure got too tough. It's been rumored that #MeToo allegations against Paul Haggis are a result of a church retaliation against him. And yeah, they have recordings of everybody admitting their darkest and most shameful secrets. For someone like John Travolta those recordings go back decades. Imagine if Catholic confessions were taped and held against you should you ever try to excommunicate. It may not just be that Travolta has admitted to be gay (although the church is immensely homophobic and it's likely Travolta is still ashamed of that, not just career concerns) but there could be any number of other sensitive confessions on those tapes he would never want released. We all have poo poo we'd prefer our friends and family never know we feel or believe or did, not put that on blast with a celebrity profile of Travolta's status and it becomes incredibly effective.

Plus, like any successful cult, your entire life and family is going to be wrapped up in it. To leave the church is to leave your entire support network.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Leaving a cult like Scientology is like leaving an abusive relationship, every single part of you is wrapped up in a person or entity that holds control over your entire life and they will use that power over you if you so much as do anything, no matter how small, against their will. It’s extremely difficult to leave, and the retaliation in either case could destroy your life or even end it. Would you really take any person and say that it’s not that bad to leave an abusive relationship, one of my friends did it earlier this year, surely Madonna could have left Sean Penn earlier!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Lance Henriksen is also in Close Encounters.

This one's way better, gently caress. He doesn't even have lines does he?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah like anyone who says "why doesn't Travolta just leave" is widely missing the point that it's probably because he's 65 that he won't, he's too old to go through the infinite bullshit and terror it would cause him

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hello everyone I listened to a sad song about a cat and now I'm crying at work, how are you all?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hello everyone I listened to a sad song about a cat and now I'm crying at work, how are you all?

Also cried at work today! I have a date tonight, which should be exciting, but my dog is dying. So I’m trying to keep things bottled up for a bit which has been...not so successful thus far.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

banned from Starbucks posted:

Because heywood isnt full of those people who would flock to Travolta in a second if he left their scientology counterparts. Sorry but enough people have left the church already for it to be some insurmountable task for a rich celebrity A lister. If paul blarts tv wife can do it he can.

Do you tell abuse victims to just leave

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oneforthevine posted:

Also cried at work today! I have a date tonight, which should be exciting, but my dog is dying. So I’m trying to keep things bottled up for a bit which has been...not so successful thus far.

I'm sorry man. poo poo sucks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

porfiria posted:

This one's way better, gently caress. He doesn't even have lines does he?

Nope, he’s basically just an extra with one close-up.

oneforthevine posted:

That’s awful, I’m so sorry. You have my condolences :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Tyler Perry is playing Colin Powell in that Adam McKay Cheney movie!?!?!? That is unbelievably amazing casting

There are so many ways this movie could just gently caress everything up but they really are giving the impression they know what they're. The fact that Jordan Peterson just wrote an article about how much he hates the movie which has been getting a lot of attention do to National Review using the twitter headline "The same Left that despises President Trump despised George W. Bush long before him" is just adding to the movie's cred

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That headline cracks me up because it implies Shapiro thinks having a consistent world view is a bad thing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Adam McKay directed both The Other Guys and The Big Short, which largely held up the idea that huge banks raked the global economy over the coals for their own benefit and got away with it. Who thought he would do a sympathetic portrayal of Bush/Cheney?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jordan Peterson "wrote" an "article" oh boy

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Because I don't like staring into the sun, can someone explain Ben Shapiro's gimmick? He looks like Martin Shrekli's weaker, dumber brother--does he use five dollar words or something? Does he have an accent?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axelblaze posted:

So apparently Tyler Perry is playing Colin Powell in that Adam McKay Cheney movie!?!?!? That is unbelievably amazing casting

There are so many ways this movie could just gently caress everything up but they really are giving the impression they know what they're. The fact that Jordan Peterson just wrote an article about how much he hates the movie which has been getting a lot of attention do to National Review using the twitter headline "The same Left that despises President Trump despised George W. Bush long before him" is just adding to the movie's cred

It was Ben Shapiro, not Peterson

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

porfiria posted:

Because I don't like staring into the sun, can someone explain Ben Shapiro's gimmick? He looks like Martin Shrekli's weaker, dumber brother--does he use five dollar words or something? Does he have an accent?

He’s considered an intellectual of the right-wing because he uses Facts and Logic, which basically means he riles people and points out they’re triggered without engaging with their arguments. He’s not 65 years old so he’s considered young by conservative political standards. He made his name touring the campus free speech warrior circuit. Basically he says and agrees with all the stuff Trump does, but says it politely so the NYT profiles him as a smart guy when he’s just a grimy little worm. Nathan J. Robinson of Current Affairs did an excellent takedown on him if you want to know more.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I'm curious who Shapiro is, so someone should field that. As far as "Angry white dude talking into a camera" has gone for me, it was usually a white guy with a British accent that I was exposed to while in the military, to the point I thought if you were angry, white, male, and British you had the template for angry patriarchal personality. A former friend of mine who I ended up violently falling out with was talking up Thunderfoot while we were serving in Iraq, then it turned into Paul Joseph Watson some time later. So beyond the gimmick of "sounds British", I'm assuming the rhetoric is more generally like a human faced serpent at this point.

e: Thanks, above!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Corrosion posted:

I'm curious who Shapiro is, so someone should field that. As far as "Angry white dude talking into a camera" has gone for me, it was usually a white guy with a British accent that I was exposed to while in the military, to the point I thought if you were angry, white, male, and British you had the template for angry patriarchal personality. A former friend of mine who I ended up violently falling out with was talking up Thunderfoot while we were serving in Iraq, then it turned into Paul Joseph Watson some time later. So beyond the gimmick of "sounds British", I'm assuming the rhetoric is more generally like a human faced serpent at this point.

e: Thanks, above!

I can't overstate how many Youtube boys have made careers out of the simple truth that middle/upper class British accents are associated with erudition in the minds of most Americans. I think "Sargon of Akkad" is another one?

Anyway it is interesting to me how Breitbart/Ben Shapiro (I'm basing this on Wikipedia's Shapiro page) come out of this probably genuine hatred of hypocritical Hollywood liberal types. That particular angle in the culture wars has been very lucrative for them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That Cheney movie looks amazing, of all the Apatow-contemporary comedy directors he's had by far the most interesting artistic trajectory and track record for technical craftsmanship, so I'm in.

It probably won't be as Bunuelian as W. but, then again, what could be?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It was Ben Shapiro, not Peterson

I feel no shame getting this wrong

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Baron von Eevl posted:

Weakerthans?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The new Chapo ep with Contrapoints on goes in on Ben Shapiro and why they think he's popular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

One of these days someone’s gonna shoot a satellite dish somewhere and Tom Cruise is gonna age 60 years in a minute.

The only way Tom Cruise will visibly age is if something happens to that dusty portrait in his attic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I can't overstate how many Youtube boys have made careers out of the simple truth that middle/upper class British accents are associated with erudition in the minds of most Americans. I think "Sargon of Akkad" is another one?

Ah, Carl of Swindon. He's one of the ones who describes his views as "classical liberal" but I feel like he'd probably actually quite dislike William Gladstone if they met.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

Adventure Time was legit great in its early seasons, then it somehow became a 14 year old's LiveJournal fan fiction of Adventure Time.

Basically what happened is the creator of the show stopped being the show runner the writers got really up their own rear end.

Power of Pecota posted:

Not the rule but there are a handful of exceptions who leave without a violent split or Scientology publically going after them like Jason Lee and Lisa Marie Presley, I have no idea how that works though.

Apparently Jerry Seinfeld had a brief association with Scientology. It inspired the gag in that episode of where they're lost in the parking garage and a lady gets mad at them because George said something negative about Scientology. I think at the time where was a bit of buzz about them being in a pissing contest with Seinfeld.

porfiria posted:

He thinks that if he cheer leads for Nazis he won't end up in the camps too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Ben Shapiro's sister is a dime

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Basically what happened is the creator of the show stopped being the show runner the writers got really up their own rear end.

hahahahaha jfc posts like this though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for me, with AT, the problem is that the later stuff felt like it was jamming a square peg into a round hole. i don't have a problem with the show taking a serious turn in and of itself, but the way they did it felt really jarring and weird because the world the show sets up from square one can't really support that kind of gravitas.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The world that is a post-apocalyptic Earth with a-bombs and skeletons and poo poo in the opening sequence?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing says gravitas like cartoon skeletons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

The world that is a post-apocalyptic Earth with a-bombs and skeletons and poo poo in the opening sequence?

which is a super, super downplayed element compared to the fact that it's currently occupied by candy people, a shapeshifting dog who dates a Korean rainbow unicorn, Lemongrab, etc.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Escobarbarian posted:

I shan't speak for anyone else, but I liked the conceit in the earlier episodes that Adventure Time was just kind of a grab bag of pop culture and imagination as navigated by a 12 year old kid and his shapeshifting dog. The lean into the idea of a magic post apocalypse as the narrative justification for all that stuff, while not terrible in itself, led into things like...character development and plot arcs and poo poo which, for me personally, was much less interesting than the funny animations and non-sequitur humor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t really like non-sequitur humour because I’m not twelve years old anymore, and the thing is that the character development and weird poo poo is actually insanely well-done. Look at an episode like Astral Plane.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfpbuCLfcHA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t really like non-sequitur humour because I’m not twelve years old anymore, and the thing is that the character development and weird poo poo is actually insanely well-done. Look at an episode like Astral Plane.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t really like non-sequitur humour because I’m not twelve years old anymore

So no longer in the show's target audience?