Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I‘ll not shitpost about substandard self driving cars :tesla:, but I will categorically state that touchscreens are an inferior interface between humans and rapidly moving machinery and that anyone who advocates for touch screen cars deserves to get thrown under the self driving bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool car opinion

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StabbinHobo posted:

the more i think about it the more we're gonna dam the strait of gibraltar. one two punch of saving the worlds most important beachfront real estate while also creating the worlds largest battery.

in Peter Watts' Rifters books, Quebec becomes a hydroelectric superpower by damming Hudson Bay

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zero VGS posted:

The point is 150,000 Volts have been sold in the whole 9 years of their existence. If only half of the people who've put down $1000 on the Model 3 actually buy it, then Volt has already been outsold. None of Tesla's millennial market cares about how 1-percenter the loving interior looks, they care about being able to drive around on the highway by tapping on an iPad: https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-navigate-autopilot

You just keep being massively ignorant. Model 3s don't function, their interior design is worse than a Yugo that's been robbed, and the bumpers fall off when it rains. What we were talking about is the Bolt, and GM's sold inifinitely more functional Bolts than there are Model 3s ordered (and remember, vast amounts of the orders aren't being filled because Herr Elon decreed that the $35k model is going to be on hold indefinitely).

You can't even drive with iPad, unless you love being rammed into roadside obstructions at high speed. "Autopilot" is a recipe for death, while the Chevy Bolt will actually carry you to where you're trying to go.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

You just keep being massively ignorant. [...] What we were talking about is the Bolt, and GM's sold inifinitely more functional Bolts than there are Model 3s ordered...
tesla delivered more model 3's in q3 2018 than all chevy bolt's sold to date combined, and will now proceed to do it again in q4. making it roughly 175k model3's vs. 60k bolt's by the end of this year.

but please, tell us more of your dumb opinions, as long as lowtax keeps paying for the database you should never stop typing your wrong mad feelings into these boxes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StabbinHobo posted:

tesla delivered more model 3's in q3 2018 than all chevy bolt's sold to date combined
Model 3s are nonfunctional cars that fall apart when it rains.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Currently witnessing you turning into a corncob

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

We have like at least 3 threads for Tesla chat, you should post this exact post in one of them.

The Musk flew to close to the sun like Icarus thread in the general forum...and what else?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hey what if the iphone but a car

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Musk flew to close to the sun like Icarus thread in the general forum...and what else?

The cspam one and the yospos one.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

I‘ll not shitpost about substandard self driving cars :tesla:, but I will categorically state that touchscreens are an inferior interface between humans and rapidly moving machinery and that anyone who advocates for touch screen cars deserves to get thrown under the self driving bus.

:agreed: It's a particularly bizarre design tend given our moral panic about "texting while driving."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gaj70 posted:

:agreed: It's a particularly bizarre design tend given our moral panic about "texting while driving."

That's the thing it's not a design trend. It's just Tesla cars that have the "it's impossible to redirect the vents without reaching to the middle of the car and stabbing at a screen" design thing going on.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
go away cartalk

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

You just keep being massively ignorant. Model 3s don't function, their interior design is worse than a Yugo that's been robbed, and the bumpers fall off when it rains. What we were talking about is the Bolt, and GM's sold inifinitely more functional Bolts than there are Model 3s ordered (and remember, vast amounts of the orders aren't being filled because Herr Elon decreed that the $35k model is going to be on hold indefinitely).

You can't even drive with iPad, unless you love being rammed into roadside obstructions at high speed. "Autopilot" is a recipe for death, while the Chevy Bolt will actually carry you to where you're trying to go.

Maybe so, but I suspect most of the Model 3's are here (So. Cal). The numbers I see on the roads (I commute in Studio City by bicycle) is impressive as heck. They all just SHOWED UP.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There all over up here in Seattle too, and way more than I saw the last time I was in California.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants to nerd out over the Model 3's battery, this guy did a teardown earlier in the year. It's the most energy-dense mass production battery in the world and has some neat features like a fire-retardant goo that foams up if a cell were to catch fire. The Tesla Powerwall and grid-size batteries are probably using these cells going forwards as well.

The guy presenting is certainly interesting... he looks like he's on death's door, he's a republican, and you have to speed the video up to 1.25 or 1.5 to make him talk at normal person speed, but he owns a long-running EV conversion shop so he really knows his poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvCOcBynlq0

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

If anyone wants to nerd out over the Model 3's battery, this guy did a teardown earlier in the year. It's the most energy-dense mass production battery in the world and has some neat features like a fire-retardant goo that foams up if a cell were to catch fire. The Tesla Powerwall and grid-size batteries are probably using these cells going forwards as well.

The guy presenting is certainly interesting... he looks like he's on death's door, he's a republican, and you have to speed the video up to 1.25 or 1.5 to make him talk at normal person speed, but he owns a long-running EV conversion shop so he really knows his poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvCOcBynlq0

The Powerwall already uses the same cells as the Model 3. That's why there's such a delay on Powerwalls right now. Tesla views the model 3 to be more important long-term so when they passed the 200,000 vehicles shipped in July and the timer started on their tax credit halving, they said that no new Powerwall orders would be delivered until 2019 and diverted everything they could to the Model 3.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Charlz Guybon posted:

Trabisnikof posted:

Don't forget the stock trading megathread which is 50/50 aapl/tsla.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

What is yospos?

Found an EV thread in the Automotive Insanity forum

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

What is yospos?
needs audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
was pretty sure that was going to be the Chvrches song.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this thing is awesome: http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/First-reactor-on-Russia-s-floating-plant-starts-up

my personal favorite "if i were god-emperor" solution to global warming is to have the us navy build 1000 of these

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

StabbinHobo posted:

this thing is awesome: http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/First-reactor-on-Russia-s-floating-plant-starts-up

my personal favorite "if i were god-emperor" solution to global warming is to have the us navy build 1000 of these

Would a meltdown would be less catastrophic if the thing just sinks? Is that the idea?

edit: You'd have plenty of time to tug it miles out if it were suffering a meltdown I'd think, does it always take a while like with Fukushima?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Would a meltdown would be less catastrophic if the thing just sinks? Is that the idea?

edit: You'd have plenty of time to tug it miles out if it were suffering a meltdown I'd think, does it always take a while like with Fukushima?

If it's hot enough to meltdown, you don't want the core to drop into water.
On the other hand it sits on a giant heat sink.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

All that to get a total of 70 MW of generation to a remote area.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gonna take a stab at predicting the context and gist of the comment: "Why aren't we using tiny Navy nuclear designs that require 420% enriched uranium?"

Fake edit: Aannnd I was wrong!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did......China just create an operable fusion core?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/china-artificial-sun/

50 YEARS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!? :nsavince:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Did......China just create an operable fusion core?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/china-artificial-sun/

50 YEARS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!? :nsavince:

According to that article they just sustained a new heat record with no mention of net energy production so no.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabisnikof posted:

According to that article they just sustained a new heat record with no mention of net energy production so no.

according to that article they didn’t even do that.

quote:

The result is not unprecedented — the world record temperatures are up to five times hotter

This is just another ordinary fusion power non-development being trumpeted as something somehow significant.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 17, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I don't this accounts for storage:

Carbon emissions and costs associated with subsidizing New York nuclear instead of replacing it with renewables

Highlights

• A comparison of costs and CO2 emissions of New York's nuclear power and with renewable scenarios until 2050 is provided.

• Shutting nuclear down today and replacing it with onshore wind will save $7.9 billion until 2050.

• Renewable scenarios lead to CO2 savings up to 27.4 Mt until 2050.

• Reinvesting cost savings from renewable scenarios into additional wind capacities will increase CO2 savings up to 32.5 Mt.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652618326829

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

Carbon emissions and costs associated with subsidizing New York nuclear instead of replacing it with renewables

Highlights

• A comparison of costs and CO2 emissions of New York's nuclear power and with renewable scenarios until 2050 is provided.

• Shutting nuclear down today and replacing it with onshore wind will save $7.9 billion until 2050.

• Reinvesting cost savings from renewable scenarios into additional wind capacities will increase CO2 savings up to 32.5 Mt.

With Mark Jacobson as an author that paper is immediately suspect. He is the guy who priced in the CO2 of burning society to the ground every 30 years into nuclear under the guise of "proliferation concerns".

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 20, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Smiling Demon posted:

With Mark Jacobson as an author that paper is immediately suspect. He is the guy who priced in the CO2 of burning society to the ground every 30 years into nuclear under the guise of "proliferation concerns".

also he added a zero to the amount of hydro (counter to his own methods section which said only a modest hydro increase was going to happen) in his previous 100% renewables by tomorrow paper to make the model give the desired result and then sued the people who pointed it out

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 20, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's an interesting gambit in that paper, to claim that shutting nuclear down Today doesn't mean massive increases in natural gas and coal usage.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Highlights

what if.... we built all that wind power and shut down coal plants instead of nuclear plants??

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

bawfuls posted:

what if.... we built all that wind power and shut down coal plants instead of nuclear plants??

the nucular plants will explode like bombs and burn everything in a 50 mile radius, releasing co2! :supaburn:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

at the point where even the UCS shifts its focus from “nuclear dangerous” to “but please don’t decommission all the reactors early we still need them” being more anti nuke than anti coal is an atomically hot take to make as a climate researcher/activist

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Smiling Demon posted:

drat, I guess I'll bring the torches for this year's

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I got into an argument with a German national on just that point. Why shut down functioning nuke plants while you're still burning coal.

His response: Jobs. Claimed a lot of workers in the German coal industry.

Hmm... have I heard this somewhere else?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

VideoGameVet posted:

I got into an argument with a German national on just that point. Why shut down functioning nuke plants while you're still burning coal.

His response: Jobs. Claimed a lot of workers in the German coal industry.

Hmm... have I heard this somewhere else?

Australia is happily loving over multiple industries for coal because they give the best bribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Wow, the actual assembly of wind turbines is pretty hosed up. :stare: