Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Grats, the V Collection owns :yeah: So many incredibly good and cheesy instruments

I'm using Bitwig (old version, never bought 2 and still angry about it) and I haven't had that problem at all, even slightly. Are you using a really, really old computer? Which plugins did you have problems with?

Not a particularly old computer; it's a 2015 MBP with 16 gigs of RAM. I seem to mostly have problems with plugins that have a lot of moving elements in the GUI. Not just the Arturia stuff, but they're some of the most problematic. Among the Arturia plugins it seems like the Buchla is the worst offender.

e: Huh, now I wonder if it might be the graphics switching that's doing it. I'll experiment a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Attention all Serum users! No, it's not an update, but check these goddamned works of art out! Lance is some sort of wizard.

https://twitter.com/lancethackeray/status/1058424041114165251?s=19

And then...

https://twitter.com/lancethackeray/status/1063615551061274626?s=19

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Not a particularly old computer; it's a 2015 MBP with 16 gigs of RAM. I seem to mostly have problems with plugins that have a lot of moving elements in the GUI. Not just the Arturia stuff, but they're some of the most problematic. Among the Arturia plugins it seems like the Buchla is the worst offender.

e: Huh, now I wonder if it might be the graphics switching that's doing it. I'll experiment a bit.

Yeah, that sounds weird. I don't know anything about MBPs but unless it has a really underpowered CPU it sounds weird for it to struggle like that.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Attention all Serum users! No, it's not an update, but check these goddamned works of art out! Lance is some sort of wizard.

https://twitter.com/lancethackeray/status/1058424041114165251?s=19

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

how do I make Serum remember this skin? Even if I click on "Set Current Skin to Default" it reverts to the default skin whenever I load up the plugin. I need this!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oh god.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Serum is so drat good. Between that and a couple of the u-he soft synth... Just... drat

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I've been looking for big, knobby controller for controlling both softsynths and a couple of my hardware synths. I looked at the Novation Launch Control XL, Faderfox offerings, as well as Akai. Ideally I don't want another keyboard, just knobs and faders. And I don't mind routing the control signals through the computer then out to MIDI.

The physical knob option would require a lot of programming and the layouts will have to be organized around whatever the

Another alternative that I've considered was getting a touchscreen monitor. Then just use what I normally use my other monitors for and then pull the softsynths to the touchscreen and run a puredata patch or something to control the hardware devices.

Is there something else I should be considering? Is the touchscreen option really not a good substitute?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope Crystallizer goes back on sale, I missed it last time, like a month ago.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

My understanding is Bitwig doesnt use the graphics card processing power to create its GUI etc, some people with macs running into issues, especially w 4k setups. Big thread in the bitwig forum (KVR) if you want to trawl it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

My understanding is Bitwig doesnt use the graphics card processing power to create its GUI etc, some people with macs running into issues, especially w 4k setups. Big thread in the bitwig forum (KVR) if you want to trawl it.

Oh yeah, I could see that being a problem. I also experimented a bit and realized that the GUIs do chew a lot of processing power. I don't usually have more than one or two plugin windows open at once since I just open them for tweaking and close them after so this has never been a problem for me, but opening multiple windows just murdered my CPU so I guess that's what was happening :v:

also:

Your Computer posted:

how do I make Serum remember this skin? Even if I click on "Set Current Skin to Default" it reverts to the default skin whenever I load up the plugin. I need this!
apparently this is a known bug? Anyway I just brute-forced it and replaced my Default skin with this one and I'm glad I did, it's :krad:

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Which brings up a fair question - Why is windowed plugin gui so notoriously laggy and poo poo? MacOS or Windows there are plenty of plugs with bad UI performance. Half the time if a plugin is crashing I wonder if it's the ui implementation.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

muckswirler posted:

Which brings up a fair question - Why is windowed plugin gui so notoriously laggy and poo poo? MacOS or Windows there are plenty of plugs with bad UI performance. Half the time if a plugin is crashing I wonder if it's the ui implementation.

Bad programmers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ohhh man, ~14 hours left until the Soundtoys black friday sale! :toot: I normally never bother with black friday stuff, but for them, I will absolutely make an exception.

EDIT: Quick poll: What's everyone's preferred or most-used, essential Soundtoys plugin? I'm looking to get Crystallizer, but if there's another one that's also super useful in composition, I'll check it out.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 20, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ohhh man, ~14 hours left until the Soundtoys black friday sale! :toot: I normally never bother with black friday stuff, but for them, I will absolutely make an exception.

EDIT: Quick poll: What's everyone's preferred or most-used, essential Soundtoys plugin? I'm looking to get Crystallizer, but if there's another one that's also super useful in composition, I'll check it out.

I use Filter Freak a LOT. Everything seems to sound a little better running through it, even if I am not filtering much. It has great analog modeling options. I also tend to use the Devil Loc Deluxe a lot on my drums / drum bus. There is a preset called something like "Giant Drum Sizer" and its a great starting point for really making the drums hit hard. Crystallizer is a really cool one though and anytime I record guitar, I will probably throw some Crystallizer on it.

I am looking at upgrading Nectar 2 to Nectar 3 since its on sale right now for a pretty reasonable price. I have been doing a lot more work lately with vocals and it would help having an intelligent plugin for mixing vocals.

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006

Quick poll: What's everyone's preferred or most-used, essential Soundtoys plugin? I'm looking to get Crystallizer, but if there's another one that's also super useful in composition, I'll check it out.

Devil-loc is awesome for drums. More for mixing, but if you have a bunch of drum samples you don't use try running through this first and see what happens.

K-EJ fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 20, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On my latest album, I think I ended up using Decapitator on literally every instrument on every track (or close to it, at least) in some way or another hahaha

Runner up might be Little AlterBoy? I only used it on one track, but man, did it nail exactly the kind of effect I was hoping for!

I'm pretty sure I used EchoBoy a fair amount too.

They're all worth messing around with, if I'm being honest. Get the bundle if you can because it contains an insane amount of useful stuff. But if you've only got money for one, I'd say get Decapitator. You'll never be able to go without it once you start working with it, or at least that was the case for me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd say Echoboy or Decapitator (I too use Decap on everything, sometimes multiple instances) if you want really loving good plugins. Crystallizer or FilterFreak if you want also really good plugins, but that do things a little differently than most. I love Decap and Echoboy but I'll cop to the fact that they're basically just a saturator and a delay, albeit very very good ones. Crystallizer is the only plugin of its kind I've run into, and FilterFreak (2 especially) does a ton that standard filter plugins don't do (or do poorly). I use FilterFreak 2 in envelope mode with lowpass/bandpass and high resonance all the time in sound effect design, it's a cheap way to add motion to otherwise somewhat static sounds.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Crystallizer is like all the weird presets in an eventide harmonizer. Really useful for just filling space. Primal tap owns hard but the prime time delay is one of my favorite pieces of gear ever so take that with a grain of salt. If you don't have decapitator get that first. And like peeps have said, the envelope trigger in filterfreak is really useful for cool stuff.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

[e: oops, wrong thread]

e2: For content, I managed to get the SWAM 'The Violin' Library yesterday, and loving hell, impulse modelling is the future imo. It was a 5MB download rather than a multi gig download of a top end sample-based library, and sounds and feels 10 times better than anything I've ever tried in the past.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 20, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Plugin Boutique hosed up and sent out an email saying you could get Neutron and Ozone for $49 if you use a coupon code, but the coupon code didn't work. Turns out that email was supposed to say $99. However, since I wrote to them immediately about the codes not working before they sent the correction email out, they just sold me both Neutron and Ozone for $49 each anyway. :hellyeah:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
also reminding everyone that the Soundtoys bundle is deeply discounted if you have some of their freebie plugins. I was able to "upgrade" to the complete bundle for $190 last year despite only owning three freebies

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

curried lamb of God posted:

also reminding everyone that the Soundtoys bundle is deeply discounted if you have some of their freebie plugins. I was able to "upgrade" to the complete bundle for $190 last year despite only owning three freebies
I did something similar. I think I bought one of their cheap plugins and they emailed me an offer to upgrade to the complete bundle (which costs $499 right now) for like less than half of regular price. I thought it was too good to be true and there was a catch somewhere, but nope, it worked :eyepop:

So if you can only get one during the Black Friday sale, maybe get Decapitator or Crystallizer or FilterFreak and upgrade to the full bundle later on if you like the one you get (and you will).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the way I got on the Soundtoys train too. I think it was Little Alter Boy first, which I only hopped on because I didn't have a formant shifter. I liked it so much that I upgraded to their whole bundle after just a few weeks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess Crystallizer and Decapitator are like the only plugins not on sale? Oh well :v: And what's with this website and not having audio examples of anything?

Also with this being the season of discounts I decided to check if Bitwig has gotten any cheaper.. "SAVE UP TO 100$" oh that sounds nice

....except the upgrade from Bitwig 1 is actually just a 20$ discount. UP TO indeed :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I guess Crystallizer and Decapitator are like the only plugins not on sale? Oh well :v: And what's with this website and not having audio examples of anything?

gently caress, you weren't kidding :negative:

Also, for examples, check out their channel on YouTube.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
Do you guys know any good sites or places that has a listing of music related companies doing black friday sales?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Spambort posted:

Do you guys know any good sites or places that has a listing of music related companies doing black friday sales?

https://rekkerd.org/deals-deals-deals/

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Also with this being the season of discounts I decided to check if Bitwig has gotten any cheaper.. "SAVE UP TO 100$" oh that sounds nice

....except the upgrade from Bitwig 1 is actually just a 20$ discount. UP TO indeed :negative:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BitwigStu2Up1--bitwig-studio-2-upgrade-from-version-1-download
$169

Someone does a massive crossgrade from another DAW deal too.

Bitwig 2 8-track will be out free with the next (I think) Computer Music.

I got 33% off with JRRShop ontop of the big chunk Bitwig takes off during the yearly sale.

Worth checking around :)

E:

Your Computer posted:

I think that's the regular price - it's 139 usd (or in my case 139 eur, because those are totally the same thing right? :sigh:) on bitwig.com right now

:doh: Practically sleep posting sorry

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 21, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the last time I was talking about Bitwig in here I was probably complaining about some features that hadn't been added yet. FWIW those features have now all been added, and it's probably my favorite DAW I've ever used (which is a pretty long list). I think the only thing it's still missing for me is AU support, because I do miss my Sinevibes plugins, but honestly I'm way more irritated with Sinevibes over not having VST versions than Bitwig for not supporting AU.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

beautiful. thank you!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the regular price - it's 139 usd (or in my case 139 eur, because those are totally the same thing right? :sigh:) on bitwig.com right now

Trig Discipline posted:

I think the last time I was talking about Bitwig in here I was probably complaining about some features that hadn't been added yet. FWIW those features have now all been added, and it's probably my favorite DAW I've ever used (which is a pretty long list). I think the only thing it's still missing for me is AU support, because I do miss my Sinevibes plugins, but honestly I'm way more irritated with Sinevibes over not having VST versions than Bitwig for not supporting AU.
I've been using Bitwig since it came out and I've been pretty happy with it (more than the other DAWs I've used) but I'm still just really peeved at how lovely they were with the whole Bitwig 2 thing. Like a lot of people, I bought Bitwig with the promise of a lot of features that were "almost ready" and promised to be included post-launch for free and in the end they added literally none of them, instead turning around and demanding another 200$ to upgrade to Bitwig 2 if you ever wanted to see those features. It was powerfully lovely.

I still want those features though :smith:

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
Just a heads up on people looking at Soundtoys (and some other brands) this site always has better deals than the manufacturer sites. I've been using it for years with no issue. You have to create an account to even see the prices, but I've only had positive experiences with it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I've been using Bitwig since it came out and I've been pretty happy with it (more than the other DAWs I've used) but I'm still just really peeved at how lovely they were with the whole Bitwig 2 thing. Like a lot of people, I bought Bitwig with the promise of a lot of features that were "almost ready" and promised to be included post-launch for free and in the end they added literally none of them, instead turning around and demanding another 200$ to upgrade to Bitwig 2 if you ever wanted to see those features. It was powerfully lovely.

I still want those features though :smith:

Yeah I wasn't very happy about that either. I had actually taken a hard line about not continuing my annual payment until they added some specific features I needed, but they added them like a week before my subscription was up.

Still no goddamn video support though, which is just :wtf:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't know if the advertised regular price on this is just marketing shenanigans, but it seemed notable that iZotope has their Stutter Edit & Break Tweaker package on sale for $49 today:

https://store.izotope.com/store?Act...&utm_source=ACS

EDIT: also an Iris 2 / Trash 2 package for 80% off

https://www.izotope.com/en/store/deals?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ACS&utm_campaign=2018.11+Black+Friday&utm_content=Ele#hardware

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 23, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
For anyone that owns one or more Izotope Products (not the free ones), I wanted to share my experience with their Customer Support so maybe others can get some great deals. Currently they have a pretty big sale on a lot of their software, most notably the newly released vocal processing plugin Nectar 3. It looks like a HUGE upgrade from Nectar 2 and they were offering the upgrade at a discount for $149.

I sent them an e-mail saying that I own Nectar 2 and Ozone 8 and was wondering if they could offer an additional discount for repeat customers. They responded back today (a couple days later) and offered me an additional 30% loyalty discount, bringing the plugin to just about $100. When I purchased Ozone 8, I had done the same thing and they offered a 25% discount. I definitely recommend sending an email to them if you are a past customer and want to grab any of the new software at a sweet discount. It really never hurts to ask.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

MrSargent posted:

For anyone that owns one or more Izotope Products (not the free ones), I wanted to share my experience with their Customer Support so maybe others can get some great deals. Currently they have a pretty big sale on a lot of their software, most notably the newly released vocal processing plugin Nectar 3. It looks like a HUGE upgrade from Nectar 2 and they were offering the upgrade at a discount for $149.

I sent them an e-mail saying that I own Nectar 2 and Ozone 8 and was wondering if they could offer an additional discount for repeat customers. They responded back today (a couple days later) and offered me an additional 30% loyalty discount, bringing the plugin to just about $100. When I purchased Ozone 8, I had done the same thing and they offered a 25% discount. I definitely recommend sending an email to them if you are a past customer and want to grab any of the new software at a sweet discount. It really never hurts to ask.

Have you used Noveltech Vocal Enhancer or SPL Vox Ranger? I love the izotope stuff and I've been having some issues with Noveltech's tool and wondering if Nectar 3 was a worthy upgrade :thunk:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

2DCAT posted:

Have you used Noveltech Vocal Enhancer or SPL Vox Ranger? I love the izotope stuff and I've been having some issues with Noveltech's tool and wondering if Nectar 3 was a worthy upgrade :thunk:

I haven't used Noveltech or SPL Vox Ranger. I had Nectar 2 prior to upgrading and used that a bit, but I feel like I will use Nectar 3 on every vocal from now on. I just got it installed and am playing around with it, i'll report back with my thoughts later this weekend. It's worth noting that Nectar 3 also comes with RX7 Breath Control, IZotope Relay, and Melodyne Essentials Pitch Correction, which is pretty cool.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Stutter edit is the loving poo poo and you should totally buy it if you make electronic anything or DJ and don't have it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Welp, I went ahead and bought Komplete 12. Being stuck with Serum, Synthmaster, and FL Studio defaults plugins wasn't doing it for me.

So much of making music is the sounds you have available to you, and if they aren't there making music isn't that much fun, at least for me.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Prepare to spend most of your income on Kontakt libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
This year's Native Instruments holiday freebie is out, a schweet Kick and Bass synth

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays-2018/