Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I've seen a few people start playing the game, get obsessed about some out of reach self appointed goal and burn out/complain about how grindy the game is. This dude I know fell in love at first sight with atlas and made the point of the game to get him, but there's just so much stuff you gotta do before getting him.

Get everything you can when you can. Gotta accept that some stuff like prime frames aren't even a priority until a bit later on and non prime frames are practically the same thing and perfectly usable. I love how basically all my favorite frames and weapons happened by chance while I was leveling them, expecting to be mastery fodder.

As a newbie, that's my philosophy too. Get stuff when it becomes feasible to get it. Blueprints don't disappear or time out so just hoard until you're ready to build.

On the flip side, I would really appreciate getting something else other than Harrow Chassis as random drops in missions since I have no other Harrow components lying about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Radio Paranoia posted:

As a newbie, that's my philosophy too. Get stuff when it becomes feasible to get it. Blueprints don't disappear or time out so just hoard until you're ready to build.

On the flip side, I would really appreciate getting something else other than Harrow Chassis as random drops in missions since I have no other Harrow components lying about.

Harrow Chassis drops from corrupted enemies in void fissure missions. It's not an entirely random drop. The other frame that drops from regular enemies is Oberon, who's 3 parts all drop from Eximus enemies.

That said, Harrow Chassis are a cool thing to find a massive stack of in your inventory when you're in need of fast credits since it's 3500 creds for each one.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I've seen a few people start playing the game, get obsessed about some out of reach self appointed goal and burn out/complain about how grindy the game is. This dude I know fell in love at first sight with atlas and made the point of the game to get him, but there's just so much stuff you gotta do before getting him.

Get everything you can when you can. Gotta accept that some stuff like prime frames aren't even a priority until a bit later on and non prime frames are practically the same thing and perfectly usable. I love how basically all my favorite frames and weapons happened by chance while I was leveling them, expecting to be mastery fodder.

Yea 100%. You can speed up acquisition of a lot of things with plat, but if you wanna remain strictly f2p you just gotta let Warframe’s fairly generous item distribution system wash over you in waves of events/unvaultings.

Also, for some of the newer folks looking to branch out to new frames once you get bored of Rhino, I suggest Mirage/MirageP. She’s fairly new player friendly - just slap as much duration and strength on her as you can and go hog wild with her 1 and 3. She’s probably the best weapons platform in the game (maybe aside from the much less accessible Chroma) and really adds that je ne sais quoi to most weapons. Your Hek will go from obliterating everything on a straight line from you to obliterating everything in the hallway in front of you. She’s relatively tanky with evasion from her 1 and “random” DR from her 3, too.

When you get really serious about committing heinous atrocities, try her with the Staticor, Atomos, Amprex, Ignis Wraith, or really any other insane AoE weapon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

nerdz posted:

I got obsessed with getting Loki because I heard he was the best melee build on account of invisible and radial disarm. But by the time I had finally reached Neptune last night, the journey had taught me that it is Volt who is the best frame. Because I push butan and he goes fast.

edit:

If there's multiple Volts in a party, can they stack their 2's together to go insane-fast? Wiki doesn't specify.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Yea 100%. You can speed up acquisition of a lot of things with plat, but if you wanna remain strictly f2p you just gotta let Warframe’s fairly generous item distribution system wash over you in waves of events/unvaultings.

Also, for some of the newer folks looking to branch out to new frames once you get bored of Rhino, I suggest Mirage/MirageP. She’s fairly new player friendly - just slap as much duration and strength on her as you can and go hog wild with her 1 and 3. She’s probably the best weapons platform in the game (maybe aside from the much less accessible Chroma) and really adds that je ne sais quoi to most weapons. Your Hek will go from obliterating everything on a straight line from you to obliterating everything in the hallway in front of you. She’s relatively tanky with evasion from her 1 and “random” DR from her 3, too.

When you get really serious about committing heinous atrocities, try her with the Staticor, Atomos, Amprex, Ignis Wraith, or really any other insane AoE weapon.

The general rule with Mirage is if the weapon has a visible projectile, it is hilarious on Mirage. Doubly so if it explodes.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Edit:

I assume the Switch port is a 100% different account? No characters/plat or anything else carries over from PC?

They’re apparently allowing account migrations from PC -> Switch, but these appear to be one-way, one-time things with no further carry-over between accounts. Basically, you copy your PC over to Switch once and then they’re separated permanently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As a level 25 player, thats how it still goes for me. Do stuff when its convenient.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mirage is in a real good place right now. two excellent buffs with the same long duration, and then you can also hit 4 if you want.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mirage is in a real good place right now. two excellent buffs with the same long duration, and then you can also hit 4 if you want.

Her 4 is easily one of the best skills in the game for waiting for the elevator or scurrying about between defense waves

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zero VGS posted:

I got obsessed with getting Loki because I heard he was the best melee build on account of invisible and radial disarm. But by the time I had finally reached Neptune last night, the journey had taught me that it is Volt who is the best frame. Because I push butan and he goes fast.

edit:

If there's multiple Volts in a party, can they stack their 2's together to go insane-fast? Wiki doesn't specify.

Just the highest buff applies, I think.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

njsykora posted:

The general rule with Mirage is if the weapon has a visible projectile, it is hilarious on Mirage. Doubly so if it explodes.

Mirage + Lenz is my favorite anything ever in the entire game. You just delete entire sections of the map (and possibly yourself).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

njsykora posted:

I got a lot of complaints for using a multishot Phantasma riven with Mirage. DE lowering its projectile count was a crime.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I got a lot of complaints for using a multishot Phantasma riven with Mirage. DE lowering its projectile count was a crime.

Even with just regular multishot I was dropping frame rates with the pre-nerf Phantasma.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

turn off the TV posted:

For the glorious week of richocheting Arca Plasmor, my 285% multishot Arca and Mirage were making everyone blind as gently caress. It was delightful.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bring mirage and an opticor to the plains or fortuna and broadside the drop ships, it never isn’t funny to me.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Traitorous Leopard posted:

They’re apparently allowing account migrations from PC -> Switch, but these appear to be one-way, one-time things with no further carry-over between accounts. Basically, you copy your PC over to Switch once and then they’re separated permanently.

I wonder how it goes with plat, if it also carries over duplicated. I have around 4.5k plat in my account right now. If that's the case, I'm kinda feeling like using my switch account to test stuff I normally wouldn't with plat.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

nerdz posted:

I wonder how it goes with plat, if it also carries over duplicated. I have around 4.5k plat in my account right now. If that's the case, I'm kinda feeling like using my switch account to test stuff I normally wouldn't with plat.

i migrated my PC info to the switch and currently have 0 plat (down from about 800). Also my Ignis Wraith didn't port over which i'm a bit upset over.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone done anything fun with the Rattleguts? I was thinking it might be fun to build it for status and fire rate. Maybe Ramble/Ramflare?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

a big fat bunny posted:

i migrated my PC info to the switch and currently have 0 plat (down from about 800). Also my Ignis Wraith didn't port over which i'm a bit upset over.

I guess that answers it. Not having my plat there would be a dealbreaker, but I'll migrate my account anyway since I don't plan on it being my main account anyway.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Letting you transfer plat over would be problematic. It'd be trivial to set up a system where a bunch of people pool their plat, copy their profile, pass it to the next guy, copy theirs etc and dupe a huge amount. Which even if DE was fine with, Nintendo would not be, I assume Switch Warframe will have PS4/XBox style coupons and purchase issues. But as I don't have a Switch, I have not thoroughly researched, obviously look into it yourself if it's super important to you.

EDIT : That said, poking the migrate option brings up :-

Please read the following information carefully before proceeding with Account Migration.

PC to Nintendo Switch account migration creates a copy of your PC account and transfers it to your Nintendo Switch account. Once migrated, the two accounts act as separate accounts.
PC to Nintendo Switch account migration can only be done once and can NOT be reversed. Be sure to use the correct Nintendo Network ID for the migration.
All existing Nintendo Switch account progress will be overwritten by your PC account.
All Platinum and goods purchased on the Nintendo eShop will be added to your new migrated account.
Any items purchased in-game with Platinum on Nintendo Switch in-game Market will be overwritten and the Platinum returned to your new migrated account; items purchased with Credits will be overwritten by your PC account.
No Platinum purchased on the PC version of Warframe will be transferred to the Nintendo Switch copy.
No Clan information from the PC is copied, all existing Nintendo Switch Clan information remains untouched.
Any items on PC that are not currently available on Nintendo Switch will appear when the Nintendo Switch is updated.
Your PC Friends List will not copy over, and your Nintendo Switch Friends List will not be overwritten
Account sharing/selling is prohibited and if violated, you risk having both accounts banned.
Your PC account will remain unaffected and unchanged after migration.
All PC Exclusive items and gear will remain exclusive to the PC and will NOT migrate to the Nintendo Switch. Click here here for full list of items.
This migration works only for PC to Nintendo Switch.
You will now be redirected to Nintendo to confirm your Nintendo Network ID.
After successful login, your PC account will be migrated.

PC exclusive items include :
All Arcane Helmets
Founders Stuff (Excal/Lato Prime etc)
Various Skins and Glyphs
Ignis Wraith

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 21, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tylana posted:

Letting you transfer plat over would be problematic. It'd be trivial to set up a system where a bunch of people pool their plat, copy their profile, pass it to the next guy, copy theirs etc and dupe a huge amount. Which even if DE was fine with, Nintendo would not be, I assume Switch Warframe will have PS4/XBox style coupons and purchase issues. But as I don't have a Switch, I have not thoroughly researched, obviously look into it yourself if it's super important to you.

You can only copy an account once, the option disappears from Account Management once it's done.

Anyway it works well enough, though my arcane Banshee helmet is gone and uh

oops

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Anyone done anything fun with the Rattleguts? I was thinking it might be fun to build it for status and fire rate. Maybe Ramble/Ramflare?

Word is you want to use Haymaker and Splat (I think, high mag size, max crit stat). And you probably want to do that for most kitguns. I'm definitely playing around with the same idea though. A faster firing status rattleguts or catchmoon to go alongside CO builds for melee 3.0. Analysis says those won't come close to matching the dps of crit kitguns though.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I just started, I'm MR3, and drat do I want a nekros prime. What're my options besides buying sets off warframe.market for plat?

A lot of people have already given good advice in response to this. In the complete opposite direction though, I have more vaulted relics than unvaulted relics and this point and probably have 20+ of most or all of the ones that drop Nekros. Get in the goon clan or alliance and just ask if anyone has those relics and would be willing to run them for/with you. People do sell the relics themselves, but I think most of us tend to just sit on relics and try to go for the rewards within. So pipe up in chat if you do want to go after Nekros P pieces and there will likely be a few people who will want to help out. Just keep asking intermittently if no one speaks up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a big fat bunny posted:

You keep your old account though right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

You keep your old account though right?

Your PC account is untouched by the copy.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
So a confirmation to me that the catchmoon will proc the headshot arcane.
Also, it's good.
I can't imagine it will stay that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJsNwpUGNN4

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Your PC account is untouched by the copy.
Whaaaaaaat.

I guess I'm gonna play this on my Switch then.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Zero VGS posted:

I'm pretty stunned they left the game as Mature rated on Switch. It's a free download so I think that means kids can just get it without a credit card or anything, which I'm surprised Nintendo was OK with.

On top of that I usually love gore but it's so out of place and lazy in this game. There's like no adult themes, and no blood or gore at all until you gib someone and then it looks like that ridiculous UT '99 or Deus Ex 1 kind of low poly red textured body parts. If it was done like Doom glory kills then I'd understand wanting to keep it.

The only truly shocking thing I've dealt with in this game so far was when the cyst started growing and I had to get it removed, what a random mindfuck.

Edit:

I assume the Switch port is a 100% different account? No characters/plat or anything else carries over from PC?

DE put it at rated M so they can do whatever they want with the content and story without trying to guess if it would be over PG13. Doesn't mean they're actually aiming for M content. Which is great and one of the things I love about this game. The lack of push to be edgy or sexy. It's a pretty chill ecosystem for female gamers (like my wife) who would scoff at something like Soul Calibur because of Ivy. The devs are not actively masturbating over their creation (well, except for Steve and the new spaceship maybe) nor are they actively trying to create masturbatory content for their audience. The Warframe universe is pretty devoid of any sexualized tone.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can only copy an account once, the option disappears from Account Management once it's done.

Anyway it works well enough, though my arcane Banshee helmet is gone and uh

Yes, but each account only needs to copy once. If 10 people with 500 plat each pool, copy, then pass it round and hand it back out (which has many trust issues admittedly) you'd end up to 10 switch accounts with 5000 each. But most probably just a basic "No plat not bought through Nintendo can exist on the Switch version."

And yes, Arcane helmets are among the apparently PC only items listed.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, I can't blame Steve for getting wood for Railjack after seeing that trailer.:awesome:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The title Railjack makes a lot more sense now too.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wid posted:

The Warframe universe is pretty devoid of any sexualized tone.

Put Octavia noble animations on Rhino and say that again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

funkmeister posted:

Also, it's good.

Imagine this on Harrow. :allears:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's impressive that Warframe is working on Switch but actually playing it (especially on handheld) is a dizzying experience. There's a very vaseliney coating to everything and the text is 1pt font. Maybe it's less bad on a tv?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tylana posted:

Yes, but each account only needs to copy once. If 10 people with 500 plat each pool, copy, then pass it round and hand it back out (which has many trust issues admittedly) you'd end up to 10 switch accounts with 5000 each. But most probably just a basic "No plat not bought through Nintendo can exist on the Switch version."

Oh you meant THAT way around. Right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

It's impressive that Warframe is working on Switch but actually playing it (especially on handheld) is a dizzying experience. There's a very vaseliney coating to everything and the text is 1pt font. Maybe it's less bad on a tv?

Yeah, though the UI pics are very..JPEGgy. Also the motion blur is not great and I just turned it off honestly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wid posted:

The Warframe universe is pretty devoid of any sexualized tone.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FunkyFjord posted:

Word is you want to use Haymaker and Splat (I think, high mag size, max crit stat). And you probably want to do that for most kitguns. I'm definitely playing around with the same idea though. A faster firing status rattleguts or catchmoon to go alongside CO builds for melee 3.0. Analysis says those won't come close to matching the dps of crit kitguns though.

My take on it after building enough kitguns to get me stuck at rank 4 with 0 rep:

In a comparison between Haymaker and Gibber, one thing I noticed is that faster firing kitguns have way higher DPS than slow firing, high damage ones. And max crit loaders really tank status, which might affect DPS more than the extra 5-7% crit chance depending on the elements you want to use. High capacity loaders aren't worth it when the fast reload ones give such great reload speeds that you might as well never stop firing. At this point most kitguns are doing overkill damage like one shotting level 100+ bombards and other crazy stuff. So instead of slow firing, max crit kitguns it's better if you can spread the dps more evenly to kill more enemies faster (with overall higher DPS to boot) and the extra status adds utility (again, overall higher DPS than max crit with corrosive against armored targets).

The tombfinger barrel is super hard to hit mobile enemies with at medium-long range due to the slow projectile, so with a slow fire rate you'll miss way more shots and waste DPS. Fire rate also affects range on gaze, so you want the fastest one there.

funkmeister posted:

Also, it's good.

Yeah, I've been EOSing with a catchmoon and my Arcane Precision is always up. I'm always the top headshot kills too without even trying. I hope they don't remove that like they did on Arca Plasmor. Cowards!

nerdz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 21, 2018

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, though the UI pics are very..JPEGgy. Also the motion blur is not great and I just turned it off honestly.

Let me try no motion blur... maybe that will help....

Oh yeah, it's night and day difference. Motion blur shouldn't even by an option for handheld.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I turned motion blur off on PC the second they let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I made a hybrid catchmoon and it felt alright, I mean it was really good but comparative to other top tier stuff I have. I made a catchmoon/haymaker/splat and it feels much better. I did the same thing with a Tombfinger, same results. Gonna have to throw my hat in with the haymaker/splat combo until I experience otherwise, definitely still playing with them though.

wid posted:

The lack of push to be edgy or sexy.