Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Unrelated but an important PSA for everyone. I don't think I've ever seen them say "throw all of it out"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.f49483d682ec

edit: all romaine lettuce is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1064981859526942720

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Toobly posted:

Unrelated but an important PSA for everyone. I don't think I've ever seen them say "throw all of it out"

Yeah, that got posted in another thread and I did the horror movie thing where looked down from my screen to my half eaten salad

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh we're doing this? My net worth right now:

Liquid: $75
Computer (for video editing): 1k
Film equipment: $500
Instruments: $150

So about $1725.

Actually more than I thought 😂😂

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/nachosarah/status/1064985494985965568?s=21

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Wilhelm posted:

This poo poo is different when it's tied into company stock, it's very disingenuous when people prattle off stats like this about Jeff Bezos etc (still extremely rich people) but the act of selling a decent portion of that would crash the value of the remainder very quickly

I'm making a point about spending money in amounts normal people usually think of (where even $400,000 is an immense sum) and how those amounts are completely irrelevant to the super rich. My point is not impacted by whether Bill has easy access to $96.4 billion in cash.

If anything, the fact that he can't actually get that much in cash reinforces my point. Even if Bill's net worth collapsed because he liquidated all his stock and he walked away with a measly $10 billion, spending $400,000 on cleaning services alone would *still* be an utterly irrelevant sum to him.

This is a critical point to note: There's a class of people so rich that even if their net worth utterly collapses, they'll still be super rich.

Take Zuckerberg for example. He's pledged to give 99% of his FB shares to charity by the time he dies. Let's go one further and assume he gives away 99.9% of his total net worth, which is currently $82.4 billion (though it will certainly be different by the time he's end of life).

This 99.9% evaporation of his net worth will leave him with a mere... $82,400,000. Let's assume his heirs invest 80% of that and get an annual interest rate of a piddly 5%. This will yield ~$3,300,000 annually.

$3.3 million in annual income is an absolute dream for most Americans - most would consider that a massive windfall, allowing them to lead the life of their dreams. To the super rich, that life is basically the worst case outcome after a 99.9% collapse in their wealth.

The super rich are far richer than most people know.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 20, 2018

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Koalas Massacre posted:

So about $1725.

Net? You don't have a credit card? Or a car? Or student loans?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Good work focusing on the salaries of the working people in that graphic, great take.

I'm just saying if being a personal assistant can earn you 90k than I may switch jobs. What is the matter with you?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koalas Massacre posted:

So about $1725.

ok but what is your refrigerator situation

I slam followed this lady earlier, she is hilarious

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Net? You don't have a credit card? Or a car? Or student loans?

Nope. I have 0 credit. No car. (The one I use is my mother's, she is an agoraphobe) even if I counted that it's a 2003 Sable and the bottom is so rusted out we have wood on the floor lol. So that's worth.. idk $700 if I'm lucky?? When my grandmother passes I'll inherit the house (100k) and I think about 20k from her savings.

My apartment I lived in for free in exchange for cleaning the buildings until I moved in with my grandmother when we found out she had breast cancer. She is in remission now though but still needs lots of help around the house my mom won't/can't do. It's a long loving story.

Edit: should add I went to community college on a grant. No student loans but I have been thinking about taking some out and going back

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 20, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fart City posted:

Is it possible for someone to get dunked so hard that their shadow gets flash-burned onto a wall
Dude! Do not even joke about the Chaos Dunk.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My net worth is like negative $280k because I went to law school but I don't make any money and will never pay that off. Literally anyone with a positive net worth is richer than I am.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm making a point about spending money in amounts normal people usually think of (where even $400,000 is an immense sum) and how those amounts are completely irrelevant to the super rich. My point is not impacted by whether Bill has easy access to $96.4 billion in cash.

If anything, the fact that he can't actually get that much in cash reinforces my point. Even if Bill's net worth collapsed because he liquidated all his stock and he walked away with a measly $10 billion, spending $400,000 on cleaning services alone would *still* be an utterly irrelevant sum to him.

This is a critical point to note: There's a class of people so rich that even if their net worth utterly collapses, they'll still be super rich.

Take Zuckerberg for example. He's pledged to give 99% of his FB shares to charity by the time he dies. Let's go one further and assume he gives away 99% of his total net worth, which is currently $82.4 billion (though it will certainly be different by the time he's end of life).

This 99% evaporation of his net worth will leave him with a mere... $82,400,000. Let's assume his heirs invest 80% of that and get an annual interest rate of a piddly 5%. This will yield ~$3,300,000 annually.

$3.3 million in annual income is an absolute dream for most Americans - most would consider that a massive windfall, allowing them to lead the life of their dreams. To the super rich, that life is basically the worst case outcome after a 99% collapse in their wealth.

The super rich are far richer than most people know.

Actually, you forgot a zero, it will leave him with 800 million. I think your interest calculation is right though

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Replace debates with knife fights

That would definitely be a good compromise to the issue of term limits and keeping septagenarians from dominating U.S. politics.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/rokhanna/status/1064985231583834113?s=21

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm just saying if being a personal assistant can earn you 90k than I may switch jobs. What is the matter with you?

I'm sure the hours are bad enough to more than make up for it

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

not joseph stalin posted:

Actually, you forgot a zero, it will leave him with 800 million. I think your interest calculation is right though

You're right!

I actually did the math for a 99.9% collapse of his wealth.

poo poo, under a mere 99% collapse his estate would once again be over a billion dollars in roughly a decade from interest alone, depending on how the investments perform.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 20, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No chance of passing but BRING IT ON.

Fart City posted:

Is it possible for someone to get dunked so hard that their shadow gets flash-burned onto a wall

Yeah there's an X-Files episode with Tony Shalhoub about it.

Your Taint posted:

This young woman is savage and I want my daughter to be just like her.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1064977742117171200

Is ACOwned a thing yet? I feel like it should be a thing.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Holy poo poo

edit: wow, my congressman follows her. That's funny

Toobly posted:

edit: all romaine lettuce is bad

Thanks for posting this - my wife was literally at the grocery store buying lettuce for dinner tonight.

PoopShipDestroyer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 20, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DrNutt posted:

No chance of passing but BRING IT ON.

Yeah there's an X-Files episode with Tony Shalhoub about it.

Is ACOwned a thing yet? I feel like it should be a thing.

AOCwned?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

God damnit I had a flash of wondering if I'd hosed that up but slammed the post button regardless.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Ocaciowned

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bless you sir

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AOwnedC. Duh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I hereby designate, with my zero authority to do so, the term "Ocasiowned" as the proper term to designate AOC ownage.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Here's the thing y'all need to know about the super rich:

They probably taste delicious. :D

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Somebody save Daniel Dale
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1064984515708366851

it was the lynching joke that really sold her
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1064985656856899584

lol
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1064986060927709187

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So what this craziness I'm hearing about people just funneling money into Iraq or Vietnam because Bitcoin is bombing? Is this a really obvious ploy from the Rs to make their base pump money into Iraq and set it up for another smash and grab invasion?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Alexownedria Cortez

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1064989728922046467

:lol:

e:

!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1064990795281895424

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

:vince:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

For net worth chat: is it a bad thing if 2 of the top 10 most valuable things I own are pairs of cowboy boots?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Alright AOC, I'm on board. I will carry your banner into the skeleton/hunger/climate change wars

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These are the people shaming us about our lack of retirement accounts.

Just lol, guillotines are too good

I love the strategy to smear AOC is to approach the generation she is a part of with no money and yell "hey, did you know this person with no money has no money?! You should have this much money(Points to yaht)!"

Great attack plan there. Really reaching the youth!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crabtree posted:

So what this craziness I'm hearing about people just funneling money into Iraq or Vietnam because Bitcoin is bombing? Is this a really obvious ploy from the Rs to make their base pump money into Iraq and set it up for another smash and grab invasion?

The iraqi dinar scam predates bitcoin and was sort of it's precursor. It was like a huge thing in like 2006 or something that if you invested in dinars you'd get be a millionaire on some particular date for some reason I forget. it had basically the exact same tone and community as bitcoin and it sort of died out when the magic dates came and the made up stuff didn't happen but now bitcoin is failing people are back to dusting off their old playbooks for some classic scams and I'm sure there is new magic dates 3 years in the future just like the first time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Koalas Massacre posted:

So about $1725.

Have you thought about cutting back on computers?

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I'm sure the day will come when AOC milkshake ducks herself by coming out in support of a flat tax or something, but I'm enjoying the ride for now.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’d say someone should ask Lieberman for a response, but I’m afraid the area around him won’t be habitable for about another 20,000 years.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know where the exact threshold should be but at least by $100 million or so there should be a nearly-100% wealth tax. If you own more than $100 million worth of stuff, you have enough drat toys and the rest can go towards the public good. Real threshold should probably be much much lower but that number feels like a definite no higher than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Okay fess up: which of you is AOC?

Because you are my hero :swoon: