Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

IronicDongz posted:

no, there's normally no way for it to learn that.

Is the Bedrillite in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

no, there's normally no way for it to learn that.

yes it can

it learns Outrage at level 31 in LGPE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When I use attacks on my Psyduck now, I'm starting to get messages that are like "that's it! I knew you could do it!" or whatever. Is that related to me having Psyduck out of its Pokeball more? Messages like that don't pop up for my other dudes

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Defense really doesn't matter, the one who struggles first loses.

This is the key to the Metapod/Kakuna Master fights. And since you are both guaranteed to have the same amount of moves (and thus PP), your options are:

1) Use a Metapod/Kakuna with lower speed.
2) Or just use a PP Up on one of your moves. This means they'll deplete their moves first.

Either way, you have to mash through all 100+ of your PP, since Master fights heal you before hand.

I used a level 50 Kakuna with max AVs and I was only able to maybe deplete less than a 1/3 of the other Kakuna's HP before I ran out of poison sting (I was training up a shiny Weedle I caught and decided to get Kakuna Master along the way). I don't think even a level 100 Kakuna could do it.

Kurieg posted:

Is the Bedrillite in this game?

Sure is. And the funny thing is Master Trainers don't use Mega Forms, so you kinda have a huge advantage against any master trainer whose Pokémon has a Mega Evolution.

HeyItsAyls fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 20, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've been on route 3 for 2 days and no shiny charmander

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/Akeemi_chan/status/1063726403319971840

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how does the Ditto master work then? Does it just transform into a random Pokemon as soon as the battle starts?

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

He just wants to see a level 100 Ditto according to Serebii.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larryb posted:

So how does the Ditto master work then? Does it just transform into a random Pokemon as soon as the battle starts?

Not all the tests are battles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can you change the name of a Pokemon that's traded to you in this game?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No, you have to be the OT to nickname a pokemon but you can change their name as often as you like. and you're the OT of the mew you get out of the Pokeball+.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Kirios posted:

The Alolan Marowak you can get in-game is freaking worthless. It has overleveled all of its good moves, and yet, doesn't have them. You have to wait until Indigo Plateau to get the move relearner to fix it!

And he's my favorite Alolan form! :(

In a game with no hold items and no abilities, Alolan Marowak was always going to be an uphill battle

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Gotta love Shiny-hunting in tall grass and then tripping over a small pokemon that's completely hidden on your way to it

lol running from a battle doesn't break your chain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol running from a battle doesn't break your chain.

No but if a shiny is in screen and you run into something else it might disappear

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zore posted:

Not all the tests are battles.

What other Masters don't actually fight you then?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Larryb posted:

What other Masters don't actually fight you then?

Every legendary Pokemon.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Ever since gen 4 struggle has dealt a fixed recoil damage of 1/4th your max health. Defense really doesn't matter, the one who struggles first loses.

and we probably get to blame wobbuffet for it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How was wobuffet broken again? I remember there being a gimmick to it but I can’t recall what it was.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the big thing is that wobuffet got shadow tag in gen 3, which was an arena-lock kind of ability, but it would work on other wobuffets
wobuffet has no direct damage dealing ability, it relies entirely on counter and mirrorcoat, which meant 2 wobbuffets would inevitably struggle
but it's HP was also giant and attack stat sucked so the recoil would deal less then leftovers could heal, so you could softlock into endless struggles

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How was wobuffet broken again? I remember there being a gimmick to it but I can’t recall what it was.

With Shadow Tag 2 Wobuffet sent against each other holding leftovers would deal less damage per turn than leftover recovery and could never switch out.

They changed a few things to prevent that like Shadow Tag not affecting other things with Shadow Tag and recoil doing more HP damage.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finally got to Fuchsia and made a b-line for the Go Park. I've been stockpiling dudes in Go to send over... and Pokemon Go says my device is not supported?!

The hell is this horseshit? The support page on pokemon.com just lists the operating system version requirements.... which I meet. My phone is less than a year old. The hell is the problem?!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Is it rooted? Are there any files on it that pertain to rooting or happen to share a name with something that could conceivably used for GPS spoofing or other cheating? Does it pass Google Genuine Advantage Google SafetyNet checks (small/cheap brand phones don't)?
They have some strict detection on it these days.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did you root your phone?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Did you root your phone?

Unless that's something you can do without realizing it, no. I don't even know what that is.

A friend poked me and told me to check my Bluetooth, which was turned off. Would have been nice if the game had told me it needed Bluetooth instead of telling me my device isn't compatible!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
well how the gently caress else did you think it was gonna work

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bleck posted:

That it would install and tell you to turn on Bluetooth
Rather than refusing to install?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Psyduck, Farfetch'D, Ivysaur are locks for my final team, and I'm constantly going back and forth on who I'm gonna want in the end. Beedrill is a big maybe for a fourth but idk about the fifth or six. Growlith, Geodude and Onyx have all not performed to my STANDARDS. I wish Kangaskhan wasn't just normal type.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bleck posted:

Wi-fi? Whatever wireless protocol the 3DS would use to connect to the Wii U or whatever?

Or just that it would loving tell me that it needs Bluetooth? I've never used Bluetooth in my life. I don't own a single thing that uses it. I keep it turned off because it eats battery like whoa.

Anyway that did the trick right enough. I still think it's dumb as poo poo that it told me my phone wasn't compatible when all I had to do was turn on one thing. None of the guides I looked up on how to transfer between Go and Let's Go mentioned that you need Bluetooth enabled. Not a single one. Hey ya'll might think it would be obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me! That's what instructions are for.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It could have also used NFC, which would that some phones are definitely not compatible.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Isn't the actual easy way to beat the Metapod/Kakuna Master fights is cheat by feeding your dude tons of Mighty Candies to the point that he owns the other dude with super strong Bug Bites?

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I had my switch on Airplane mode and it told me to turn on bluetooth on my devices to send to the park

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I guess they could have mentioned in the game that the manner in which the two devices wirelessly communicate with each other is via the standard protocol that has been used to do so for over a decade now, yeah, but even beyond that, the official website straight up says it uses bluetooth

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Will someone give me a Farfetch'D like in the original game or do I need to find one this time?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Macaluso posted:

Will someone give me a Farfetch'D like in the original game or do I need to find one this time?

They're wild in the grass around the sea route between Lavender and Fuschia past the Snorlax. Somewhat rare.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Look Ash not every Pickachu is a detective, don't be racist.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Managed to capture my shiny Pikachu based boy.

All is good in Kanto.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I deeply, sincerely hope that some company eventually makes soft silicone covers for the pokeball plus that make it look like other kinds of pokeballs.

I really don't know why this doesn't exist already.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Giovanni, just pull out the gun you absolutely have in your desk and shoot the child

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Giovanni, just pull out the gun you absolutely have in your desk and shoot the child

The only guns in Pokemon are fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Most of the encounters are based on Yellow, where Farfetch'd was available in the wild. Though there's also Jynx, which can be found in Seafoam Islands, like you could in JP Blue. And of course all the rare spawns like the starters and Dragonite and the legendary birds.