Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh ho! Maybe it's related to that whole "jumping from ice makes things fly" glitch.

https://twitter.com/BotW100percent/status/1062535621028134913

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
e: wrong thread!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yep:

https://twitter.com/DarkzFlame/status/1061003037584453632

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here we go. Ice blocks make boats float as well. So putting the crippled guardian onto a boat and then doing the ice block seems to make the boat float off, but the guardian somehow stabilizes it so the boat somehow continues to float around maybe?

https://twitter.com/MrOrdun/status/1058405590035120128

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is all to with the slow-mo, not the cryonis. Well, you need the cryonis too but the slow-mo is what's glitched. When you engage slow motion some objects continue to move at normal speed during it. This has the unforeseen side effect than when you then unengage the slow motion while that object is still moving at "normal" speed, the game engine won't realize this and will massively accelerate the object at the same rate as everything else that's still moving slow. So it'll be sped up equally as much as the slow-mo slows things down, and probably go flying. Cryonis pillars, and objects that are on them, are one of these unaffected-by-slowmo things.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i hate to say it in public, but

breath of the wild is a really extraordinarily good video game and I wish I could forget it so that playing it again was as magical as the first and a half goes around

:negative:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:same:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm really excited for whatever BOTW2 is, but man, that first time through BOTW is something I think they'd be hard pressed to recreate.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm really excited for whatever BOTW2 is, but man, that first time through BOTW is something I think they'd be hard pressed to recreate.

This is stupid and awful but I wouldn't be mad about a Dark Cloud 2-esque mechanic where you rebuild Hyrule from the ground up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Got my Creating a Champion special edition and holy gently caress it’s huge and it comes with an enormous map and the print of the picture is super nice and the marble is nice too

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

all I want from BOTW2 is expanded house/town customization options and sidequests

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

romanowski posted:

all I want from BOTW2 is expanded house/town customization options and sidequests

The Legend of Bolson

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I would dig a game that's basically What if Tarry Town Was The Main Quest. I really dig town rebuilding or keep building pieces in games (usually RPGs). They're fulfilling, but always kind of severely kneecapped by being side content. I'd love a whole game that really focuses around rebuilding and expanding, but doesn't go full Dragon Quest Builders on it. BotW style would be kind of perfect for it. You need to adventure to find new rare things, claim territory, drive off a Lynel, whatever, and get rewarded with a bunch of personal sidequests with the residents and seeing the whole community evolve and spring to life.

I think Xenoblade X did something soooorta like this with itself but I didn't play that because... um... the font size was too small.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you could easily do a Rebuilding Hyrule Castle plot in the BotW universe. remember in OoT it wasn't JUST the castle, there was a big town attached to it that could have been wiped out by the Guardians. restoring the town and its historical residents would totally be a fun game

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

romanowski posted:

This, but also better main story dungeons and bosses.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

This, but also better main story dungeons and bosses.
You cannot have all of these while simultaneously having a massive, meticulously designed world. Well, without the game taking even more years to develop, anyway, and also probably inflating the dev team to RDR2-levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

indigi posted:

you could easily do a Rebuilding Hyrule Castle plot in the BotW universe. remember in OoT it wasn't JUST the castle, there was a big town attached to it that could have been wiped out by the Guardians. restoring the town and its historical residents would totally be a fun game

I mean, there's a ruined town just outside the castle in BotW already.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Weird experiments with the wind slasher blade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbcEkedEJ9w

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

You cannot have all of these while simultaneously having a massive, meticulously designed world. Well, without the game taking even more years to develop, anyway, and also probably inflating the dev team to RDR2-levels.

yeah that's why they should also make the overworld smaller overall

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So this just came in, and it's quite a dope-rear end book.

There's a lot of Art for BOTW that I've never even seen that's in this thing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I bought the Japanese version a long time ago but I caved to get that for the English as well since it came with all the nifty stuff. It's really great

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Today marks 20 years since Ocarina of Time was first released.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Today marks 20 years since Ocarina of Time was first released.

But the owls are still around.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

romanowski posted:

i maintain that cool little souveneirs or relics from your adventure that show up in your furnished house, like the other massively good nintendo first party game of the same year, would have been a perfectly acceptable way to pad out the exploration and give a much wider sense of reward to the game

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

witchcore ricepunk posted:

This is stupid and awful but I wouldn't be mad about a Dark Cloud 2-esque mechanic where you rebuild Hyrule from the ground up.

ZeldaRaiser?

Legend of Actraiser?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I picked up a Switch the other day, and this seemed like the obvious first game to play. Is there, like, a quick list of all the stuff I ought to do as soon as I get out of the tutorial zone?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I picked up a Switch the other day, and this seemed like the obvious first game to play. Is there, like, a quick list of all the stuff I ought to do as soon as I get out of the tutorial zone?

I recommend following the main story until you get the camera and upgraded tracker, but don't be afraid to detour every time you spot something cool along the way.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skippy McPants posted:

How to play BotW for the first time:
Step 1: dont read any guides

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How to play BotW for the first time:
Step 1: dont read any guides

Step 2: don't listen to any advice

Except that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that's not me. I play open world games with a collectible guide up on another screen. If that makes me a weirdo, that's okay, but I hate backtracking or missing content.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to convince you of this, but i'm quite sure that would drive you mad in botw. It's not really designed like your standard checkbox-ticking open world.

Also you can't miss anything (permanently)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don’t think you’ll enjoy this game very much

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I have over 500 hours in Skyrim; I think I'll be fine. I only play an open world game maybe once every five or six years because I enjoy compulsively scouring the world for every teeny morsel. I didn't leave the starting area until I'd found every chest.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, that's not me. I play open world games with a collectible guide up on another screen. If that makes me a weirdo, that's okay, but I hate backtracking or missing content.

This sounds like a recipe for pain. There's like 900 collectibles all over the map hidden in environmental mini puzzles, and you should not seek them out with a map. Go around and inspect weird poo poo you come across instead. If you explore even a tiny bit, you'll come across quite a lot of them (they're everywhere).
You're not even really supposed to find all of them, the final reward for that is the devs having a laugh at your expense.

Feel free to google for the locations of some rare bugs or geckos you want to photograph and just can't locate, but aside from that, just walk and glide around. The game gives you a radar towards all the relevant upgrade thingies (shrines). There's no heart containers / pieces hidden in the world anywhere, don't be afraid to miss something.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

the only thing you need that guide for is 900 korok seeds. you will get no reward for doing this. it's not worth it.

i mean, you do you, but playing this game with a specific guide in front of you seems like the quickest way to suck the fun right out of it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Use the guide, but be willing to stop. The maximum reward for collectibles is given to you when you only get half of them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Skippy McPants posted:

You will not have a good time trying to play this game like this. Trust us and just go your own way without a guide.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dang, now ya'll are making we want to double down just out of spite. It's a non-harmful outlet for latent compulsive desires, just let me be free!

Here, how bout this: I'll post some screenshots as I slowly hoover every bit of meaning and substance out of an entire world. This is what my guide app currently looks like with all the zoom filters disabled,

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jesus let the guy play the game how he wants

This thread gets kinda ridiculous about people playing the game "wrong"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Use the guide, but be willing to stop. The maximum reward for collectibles is given to you when you only get half of them.

Slightly less than half, even, and you'll never need the room for the like 20 shields or whatever, so you can get by with a lot less.

FWIW, i'm currently cleaning off the seeds with a map but i have done basically everything else in the game already aside from facing the end boss.

It's way cooler to stumble upon the seeds (at least the first few) on your own. You see three suspicious trees on a hill.... a weird monument on a cliffside... an out-of-place stone circle... or just a particularly large tree and get a surprise on top. You can go back and collect some more if you need whenever the need arises later in the game. You'll end up visiting back into certain areas a lot anyways if you want to cook or catch wildlife or take photos.
The game is laid out very well with its towers, the shrine sensor and things like NPCs pointing you towards certain areas so that you naturally discover a lot of fun stuff just by hopping on a horse and following the roads you see. The stables alongside the roads usually give you quests or NPC rumours to guide you through the areas, and other secrets are littered along the way to fulfill those quests.

Having a map open to "clean out" the areas will make it feel like busywork (source: me, because i'm doing it right now)
(but i'm scared of ganon)

I went for a map to find the last couple of shrines since some are well hidden, but to be honest, there's literally more than enough of them around. I still have like 40 spirit orbs or w/e they're called in my inventory that i haven't bothered trading in, because i already have full stamina and more than enough hearts to never die, i'm only mopping up at the end for completion and to see some of the sweet puzzles.