Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's getting cooler out here, I might roast some sprouts tonight. Maybe throw some carrot chunks on there while I'm at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think seasons has the underground volcano dwellers and I could not imagine wanting to through that again in another play through.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I have no idea who this trailer was made for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLu7e8RZoYc

Buddy that doesn't even rate on weird trailers any more. Prepare to gaze into the abyss of madness.

https://youtu.be/JnoyH_RFD0k

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's getting cooler out here, I might roast some sprouts tonight. Maybe throw some carrot chunks on there while I'm at it

I roasted some carrots and broccoli a couple days ago. It's good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Himuro posted:

Imo, 3d > 2d Zelda because of dungeons design so my interest is piqued by you saying Ages has better dungeons. I love 2d Zelda all the same so I’m definitely jumping in.

Just to clarify, when I mean dungeon design here I mean satisfying gameplay, not cool aesthetics. You will not get anything in Ages that makes you say wow the way the yeti mansion does in Twilight Princess. Nothing will be as eery as the OoT shadow temple, or as somber as the Deku Tree. Even the dungeons with cool concepts look basically the same once you're inside.

What you will get is basically a miniature metroidvania inside each dungeon, with satisfying puzzles and a layout that forces you to understand the dungeon to make progress

The overworld stuff is cool because it has the same time travel idea as OoT, but instead of go back to a fixed point to switch time periods, you can do it anywhere (eventually, it comes in a few lesser forms at first to ease you into it), so you switch back and forth between the past and present just when traversing the overworld instead of doing it at fixed story beats when Sheik tells you to

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Minish cap is the best zelda followed by most of the handheld games, majora's mask is a shitheap.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't played Minish Cap since it came out but that is an extremely spicy take

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Minish cap is the best zelda followed by most of the handheld games, majora's mask is a shitheap.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will forever be a Between Worlds guy because it's the brevity and content rich stuff from the handheld games but the dungeons have a strong aesthetic and theme that the 3D games have.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Just to clarify, when I mean dungeon design here I mean satisfying gameplay, not cool aesthetics. You will not get anything in Ages that makes you say wow the way the yeti mansion does in Twilight Princess. Nothing will be as eery as the OoT shadow temple, or as somber as the Deku Tree. Even the dungeons with cool concepts look basically the same once you're inside.

What you will get is basically a miniature metroidvania inside each dungeon, with satisfying puzzles and a layout that forces you to understand the dungeon to make progress

The overworld stuff is cool because it has the same time travel idea as OoT, but instead of go back to a fixed point to switch time periods, you can do it anywhere (eventually, it comes in a few lesser forms at first to ease you into it), so you switch back and forth between the past and present just when traversing the overworld instead of doing it at fixed story beats when Sheik tells you to

I meant puzzles by dungeon design. 3d has more layers that aren’t possible in 2d. Like in LTTP and Link’s Awakening the solution is almost always obvious. But in OoT or MM, even TP at times, because of it being in 3d space you have to interact with and explore the environment in a more involved manner to solve puzzles.

Take the Deku Tree in Master Quest. One puzzle has you crossing a moat. There’s torches on the opposite end but there’s spikes in the middle of the moat and the island raft that goes across is too tall for you and you’ll get hit with by the spikes. The goal is to light a torch, get across the moat with it, and light both torches on the opposite end. In order to get across you have to be creative because there’s no switch to lower the water level. Throwing up the shield makes Link crouch so you can use that as a solution to get across the spikes but that’s not an immediately obvious solution and one you might only reach by experimentation.

The water temple is another example. That one key that screw everyone up is hidden by a chest. That’s the thing: the viewpoint in 3d Zelda is third person which entirely limits your viewpoint. But this kind of exploration wouldn’t be possible in 2d Zelda which tends to be top down perspective and gives a clearer view of the environment.

The way you interact with the environment is entirely different because of the use of 3d models allowing them to achieve puzzles that simply weren’t possible in 2d.

But that’s just me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Himuro posted:

I meant puzzles by dungeon design. 3d has more layers that aren’t possible in 2d. Like in LTTP and Link’s Awakening the solution is almost always obvious. But in OoT or MM, even TP at times, because of it being in 3d space you have to interact with and explore the environment in a more involved manner to solve puzzles.

Take the Deku Tree in Master Quest. One puzzle has you crossing a moat. There’s torches on the opposite end but there’s spikes in the middle of the moat and the island raft that goes across is too tall for you and you’ll get hit with by the spikes. The goal is to light a torch, get across the moat with it, and light both torches on the opposite end. In order to get across you have to be creative because there’s no switch to lower the water level. Throwing up the shield makes Link crouch so you can use that as a solution to get across the spikes but that’s not an immediately obvious solution and one you might only reach by experimentation.

The water temple is another example. That one key that screw everyone up is hidden by a chest. That’s the thing: the viewpoint in 3d Zelda is third person which entirely limits your viewpoint. But this kind of exploration wouldn’t be possible in 2d Zelda which tends to be top down perspective and gives a clearer view of the environment.

The way you interact with the environment is entirely different because of the use of 3d models allowing them to achieve puzzles that simply weren’t possible in 2d.

But that’s just me.

The 2D games tend to replace that sort of puzzle with "okay, now where do I go?" lateral thinking. Like in the 3D ones it's usually obvious what room you're supposed to be in even if it's not always obvious how to progress through the room. I think Ages does the best at that kind of dungeon design of the 2D games but it's a different style than what you like about the 3D ones.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

The 2D games tend to replace that sort of puzzle with "okay, now where do I go?" lateral thinking. Like in the 3D ones it's usually obvious what room you're supposed to be in even if it's not always obvious how to progress through the room. I think Ages does the best at that kind of dungeon design of the 2D games but it's a different style than what you like about the 3D ones.

That’s fair. I have it on my 3ds but hadn’t gotten to it yet. I’ll give it a shot after Fire Emblem. What did you think of MM3d in the end?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Imagine being so bad at a game with lock on aiming you have to skip missions...

Its called speedrunning.

I ate romaine today to speedrun my life

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was talking to my friend the other day and he was like

"I finally found the way to cook Brussels sprouts"

And I was like

"Oh yeah you have to roast them in the oven"

And he's like "what, no, I boil them. It makes them taste better"

Never heard something so hosed up in my life.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they’re a pod person, get an axe

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What is the optimal gamer fuel

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

depression

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I slightly prefer Seasons to Ages, I think the changing season gimmick is actually super clever and fun and it has way better bosses. Dungeon design is about the same with Ages having a dungeon or two that's really annoying.

Doing Ages first is good if you're easily frustrated by 2D Zelda difficulty because seasons is definitely the harder action game. The last boss of seasons is way harder.

The third scenario is great either way

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Brussels sprouts in oven, seasoned with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and a dash of cayenne pepper. You’re welcome.

I hope you are no longer friends that boiled Brussels lover, PantsBandit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

And I was like

Roast in olive oil or fry in butter. I'll never boil again

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help Im Alive posted:

like everything its love... have you told someone you love that you are thankful for them lately?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

like everything its love... have you told someone you love that you are thankful for them lately?

The only love a gamer feels is a love of frags.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

The only love a gamer feels is a love of frags.

Have you told mr. or ms. frags that you are thankful for them recently?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Videos games... games of video...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

And I was like

A 60-year old woman I worked with once told me that she just roasts chicken in an oven with no oil and no seasoning, it comes out so delicious that she doesn't need to add anything. :psyduck:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Get me a ice cold glass of Cheerwine and I'm set.

exquisite tea posted:

A 60-year old woman I worked with once told me that she just roasts chicken in an oven with no oil and no seasoning, it comes out so delicious that she doesn't need to add anything. :psyduck:

:stonk:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Overwork so you go all out on the days off

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

I have no idea who this trailer was made for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLu7e8RZoYc

The Sm4sh announcer finally shouts SUPER SMASH BROTHERS so it was made for me and I'm gonna be pissed if that's not in the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

You should blow her head off with a shotgun!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like a true gamer I was driving back and thinking about the effort of cooking made me stop at Five Guys instead, more time for gaming. Maybe I'll do sprouts tomorrow

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is the year 2018, and Cammy finally has pants.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

It is the year 2018, and Cammy finally has pants.

You can’t say this without proof

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Himuro posted:

You can’t say this without proof

You can buy a Jill Valentine outfit now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Look what's the point of being as ripped as a street fighter character if you cover your muscles up with clothes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mt Dew Kickstart has like 1/3 the sugar of regular Mt Dew and tastes better. It's good gaming fuel and the only non-diet soda I can even drink anymore

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Even with slow down red dead revolver is still a good game.

It has weapon repair too...

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 21, 2018

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

You can buy a Jill Valentine outfit now

Which outfit? RE1 or RE3?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like a true gamer I was driving back and thinking about the effort of cooking made me stop at Five Guys instead, more time for gaming. Maybe I'll do sprouts tomorrow

god i love cooking i guess that makes me a lovely gamer because im making juevos divorciados tonight for dinner and i couldnt be happier

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
cooking requires too much planning ahead for my shittily organized self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what's the best cooking game and why is it battle chef brigade

• Locked thread