Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Update: After several days of being shouted at by the worst elements of the OSR Robertson's decided to bin the whole concept.

https://twitter.com/stuartdraws/status/1064580029542252544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

I am not an America, but I was more critical of Clinton than Trump in the lead up to the US election. As awful as Trump is I think Clinton could have started a war with Russia, and is connected to a lot of shady business.

Current US politicians I like include Rand Paul, Bernie Sanders, Trey Gowdy and Jill Stein

well

edit:

quote:

CMON stock price continued to fall as the company reported losses of $4.1 million for the 9 month period ending September 2018. The company blamed the losses mainly on decreasing Kickstarter revenue and increased convention expenses.

Revenue fell 32.6% from $17.5 million for 2017 to $11.8 million in 2018. The losses were primarily due to decreases in revenue from Kickstarter including ‘A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game’ and ‘Arcadia Quest: Riders.’

CMON’s gross profit decline, from 47.5% to 39.8%, was attributed to the increase in fixed costs. Cost of sales decreased as inventories declined and shipping and handling costs dropped. The company also reported a decrease in the sales of advertising space on their website.

Expenses also increased for the game maker due to increase marketing efforts, namely the participation in large scale game conventions.

The company also incurred extra costs related to an application to transfer their stock listing from Growth Enterprise Market (GEM) to the main board.

CMON’s stock continued to slide, closing at 0.16 HKD on Friday, a decrease of 30.4% over last years price.
lol

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Update: After several days of being shouted at by the worst elements of the OSR Robertson's decided to bin the whole concept.

https://twitter.com/stuartdraws/status/1064580029542252544

:laffo:

This is literally the least shocking development possible given it's the OSR.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel bad for the dude but he is way better off lancing that tumor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

alg posted:

well

edit:

lol

Why the hell did he feel the need to line itemize his political views?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's loving "Prejudice bad" boilerplate, is there something about Canadian hate speech laws that goes overboard that people were reacting to? What specifically did critics feel was going to fall under this umbrella?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The entire OSR.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

From my exposure to it about 95% or more of the OSR had their political views ossify about the same time their taste in game design did, so that explains a fair amount

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kurieg posted:

He has to claim his centre-right cred to fend off all these slanderous accusations that he's some kind of civility-disrespecting progressive.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Kavak posted:

It's loving "Prejudice bad" boilerplate, is there something about Canadian hate speech laws that goes overboard that people were reacting to? What specifically did critics feel was going to fall under this umbrella?

Like, specifically he cites that he doesn't want it used on anti-LGBTQ+ stuff. Lamentations of the Flame Princess crops right up, for example there...and there my knowledge of the OSR ends.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

lol Trey Gowdy and Jill Stein

Also "I don't pay much attention to US politics, but I somehow have a specific opinion about Harold Watson Gowdy III of SC-4."

I feel a lot less sad about what's going on with that guy, now.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 21, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

potatocubed posted:

Aw. I bet somebody yelled 'swine' until they got hoarse.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 21, 2018

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MollyMetroid posted:

The entire OSR.

Basically this. People were hand-wringing that somehow, he'd crack down on anything OSR-related that used hate speech, instead of the more specific example of anything OSR-related that used his logo that used hate speech.

It was the usual group of actors arguing in bad faith to try and get a "gotcha!" out of the guy. And I guess he just didn't want to deal with the whole thing anymore, which I can't really blame him.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I'm continually disappointed by how many people in the OSR are hateful or hate-agnostic. A shame; I liked a lot of the foundational principles and mechanics, and the DIY atmosphere is pretty neat. Maybe in ten years we can have a second OSR with fewer nazis free speech enthusiasts.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And maybe unicorns are real, that's just as likely.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Elephant Parade posted:

Maybe in ten years we can have a second OSR with fewer nazis free speech enthusiasts.

Make this new OSR focus almost exclusively on 4e and I'd be on board in an instant.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slimnoid posted:

Basically this. People were hand-wringing that somehow, he'd crack down on anything OSR-related that used hate speech, instead of the more specific example of anything OSR-related that used his logo that used hate speech.

It was the usual group of actors arguing in bad faith to try and get a "gotcha!" out of the guy. And I guess he just didn't want to deal with the whole thing anymore, which I can't really blame him.

It's "funny" because his standard of evidence was already "in violation of a defined law" and people still kept being reductionist to the point of claiming that he just didn't like other peoples's politics.

Serf
May 5, 2011

there are a very few things in the osr that are worth it. kevin crawford's output, beyond the wall, black hack 2e and a few other random books have been quite good imo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does Crawford even use the OSR logo or is his stuff just wink nudge compatible?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Does Crawford even use the OSR logo or is his stuff just wink nudge compatible?

no, he doesn't use it afaik. some of his older stuff was designed to be compatible with labyrinth lord, but most of it is broadly just compatible with any osr game, swn revised probably not so much

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

lol Trey Gowdy and Jill Stein

Also "I don't pay much attention to US politics, but I somehow have a specific opinion about Harold Watson Gowdy III of SC-4."

I feel a lot less sad about what's going on with that guy, now.

Which guy?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

Which guy?

The OSR logo guy.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Slimnoid posted:

Make this new OSR focus almost exclusively on 4e and I'd be on board in an instant.
I mean, I was thinking more a second revival of OD&D/Basic/etc., but I'm sure we'll see a 4e comeback too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Have there been any solid 4e clones that use tile based combat? I loved just slapping down dungeon tiles on a table and being able to play. Sadly, they all belonged to my friend and I've moved countries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

The mere existence of them? To give you an example the right to free speech in Canada is constructed as “if you aren’t racist, sexist, etc Then you get free speech.”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

no, he doesn't use it afaik. some of his older stuff was designed to be compatible with labyrinth lord, but most of it is broadly just compatible with any osr game, swn revised probably not so much

I’ve used his poo poo in Pathfinder just fine.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Strike! Is good

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm deeply sorry he's being censored, and he is, but ah maybe getting your company in the cross hairs of maniacal dictatorship (which would otherwise just be brave) but somehow in the process making GBS threads on the group they're trying to wipe out means you shouldn't have been in the position in the first place for them to censor you. Maybe, just maybe, the fact you were censored in this instance was your own fault and the result of reasonable people trying to loving extinguished the fire you started.

Like I want to note, this isn't even him getting in trouble for making a mass murdering state using pogroms' or crackdowns on marginalized group x as a smoke screen for their Vampire masters' real plans. It's for doing it to a community who is currently experiencing this right now.

People keep using that term.

He's not being 'censored' because no official organization or representative is preventing publication of this work.

He's being told by the company he freelanced for that they're not going to use the work due to public backlash.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Atlas Hugged posted:

Have there been any solid 4e clones that use tile based combat? I loved just slapping down dungeon tiles on a table and being able to play. Sadly, they all belonged to my friend and I've moved countries.

Not exactly.

Unity, Valor and 13th Age use the 4e moves system, but not grid based combat.

Fragged Empire/Kingdom uses precise grid based combat, but not unique character moves.

Panic At The Dojo uses moves and grid based combat, but for some bizarre reason has no character advancement rules.

Strike also uses moves and grid based combat, but has no stats, weapons or armor.

Pathfinder 2e Playtest is actually very 4e-like, but is broken in many innovative ways.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 21, 2018

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

He has to claim his centre-right cred to fend off all these slanderous accusations that he's some kind of civility-disrespecting progressive.
Yeah, my reading was that he was trying to say "I'm not some die-hard ideological foe of yours, but you've been lovely enough to me and lovely enough on this subject that you have driven me away when you should have been able to get me onside, great job fuckos".

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

That Old Tree posted:

like the post was rear end, but speaking as a Canadian it's basically impossible to not accumulate these specific opinions about American politics, no matter how little attention you try to pay to it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NutritiousSnack posted:

Is V5 even on book shelves even? Like did they have get a presence on the retail market, even if it was FLGS?

I sold a copy two weeks ago in my shop

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I sold a copy two weeks ago in my shop

Is that a lot? Like- I feel like some pretty yikes decisions have kept Vampire relegated to a pretty serious also-ran in a time when RPGs are as popular as they've ever been.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

It's a continuation of what he was saying for a couple paragraphs before:

quote:

On Friday I thought "the OSR are almost all good people, if I make this statement they'll agree with me and then the outside world will know we're not a terrible place". Now I've had a weekend of people grinding away and accusing me of whatever they can imagine of the worst far left caricature they can imagine. I know one person in the OSR who operates like that... I didn't realize just how widespread that sort of thing was. Mea culpa.

I'm not "Far Left" or Antifa or a Communist or anything like that. I usually decide at the last minute who to vote for, and I'll frequently vote for the candidate that I think will help keep governments from having too much power. I prefer checks and balances.

So yeah, he was being accused of being some saboteur plotting to destroy the OSR by asking that hate speech not be printed with his logo on it. A normal and healthy reaction for a community to have.

e- It's funny how in both his G+ post and the replies to his tweet, he and other people acknowledge the toxic elements of the OSR and often admit it drove them away from the community, but those toxic elements remain...

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 21, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm glad you linked the full context, people in here love to dogpile on something without reading it in full.

Given the first knee-jerk reaction to him going "Hey guys, please don't use my creative property on your products if they involve hate speech or openly support it" was to have his twitter DM's slammed with slavering vitriol, the idea of there being much good in that community should probably be put firmly to bed. Anyone got any thoughts on whether the few good elements in there are going to try and cut ties after this?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I mean, I'm all for scoffing at Jill Stein, but honestly the rest of the post is way more interesting to look at.

Besides the cartoon caricature reactions, it looks like the other big responses to his post were "lol now your logo will be memed to oblivion because you cried about it! owned!", which he addresses that he has no issue with since those are protected as parodies, and "Your logo is made up of shapes and lines you have no rights to!", which sounds funny to me and is probably funnier to people who actually understand copyright and trademark law.

For further context, he released the OSR logo as a Creative Commons work, but asked that people who publish hate speech not use the logo on published works or their websites, in accordance with Canadian copyright law that protects the moral integrity of the work and its creator.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Arthil posted:

Given the first knee-jerk reaction to him going "Hey guys, please don't use my creative property on your products if they involve hate speech or openly support it" was to have his twitter DM's slammed with slavering vitriol, the idea of there being much good in that community should probably be put firmly to bed. Anyone got any thoughts on whether the few good elements in there are going to try and cut ties after this?

There are a bunch of people on his G+ and Twitter talking about creating a new old-school community but without the lovely parts. I have no idea if it'll take, or if they'll just fall back into orbit around the same old bad stars.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

potatocubed posted:

There are a bunch of people on his G+ and Twitter talking about creating a new old-school community but without the lovely parts. I have no idea if it'll take, or if they'll just fall back into orbit around the same old bad stars.
Didn't we have that discussion already?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

I feel like the latter is going to happen if only because way too many people outright refuse to acknowledge that there are "bad parts" to the OSR to begin with

(and the people who actually are bad deliberately engage in the muddying of these waters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

potatocubed posted:

No matter what, there would have to be an active effort to keep bad elements out, because if there was a break-off there's going to be people that follow it because they don't know they're part of the problem or pretend they aren't. Plus the inevitable trolls that will follow and harass anyone that openly splits off. It seems like a lot of conflict that most people have been adverse to up to this point.