Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The annual WDFW rulebook is your bible in terms of following what's in season, especially if you're thinking about salmon. There's no salmon season at the moment, but blackmouth Chinook season opens Jan 1. Also, you've got ten more days to catch a cabezon in Puget Sound if you want to keep it, but there are also usually lots of flatfish, sea perch, pile perch around at any given time. The perch fight like hell on light tackle. And if you like fishing at night, there are squid to be had.

You might look into some nearby rivers if you can't get off the lake bank. Even if the lake isn't very large, there are so many places for fish to be that aren't near you.

I should go fishing this Saturday. Been so busy lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

I just picked up a bag of frozen shrimp and some pro-cure herring oil. I'll see whats around the pier tomorrow. Should I use a heavier leader for bottomfishing? I have 15lb braid mainline with a 12lb fluoro leader rigged up on my bass rod, but I could switch things out if there could be something with sharp teeth around

Also my original plan for today was to hit up a river that has some good reports of chum salmon from within the last week, but I got intimidated because salmon fishing seems very involved and I feel like a total outsider. Also I didn't have any clear line heavier than 12 lbs (solved this problem)

You don't have to worry too much about teeth cutting line with most things out here. I can't think of anything around here that would require a wire leader or anything like that. Since you're fishing bait off the bottom, you probably want at least an ounce on there to keep the current from tossing it around. If you're going for perch, I've seen people have good success vertical jigging with a dropshot rig and bait. You probably wouldn't need as much weight for that. A slip bobber rig would also be a good approach. Don't forget to rinse the salt water off your line and reel when you're finished!

River salmon fishing can be really unpleasant if it's crowded. I hate that kind of combat fishing, and if the salmon have already undergone their spawning metamorphosis their meat has already begun to degrade. If you do decide to give it a shot, Buzz bomb lures, especially pink, are favorites though. I'll probably hit some rivers next year for the humpy run, but I'm going to get there before dawn and plan to be gone by 9am, with or without salmon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and salmon fishing usually has bonus regulations like no-snag rules and barbless hook requirements. Definitely consult the WDFW rulebook.

LingcodKilla posted:

I should go fishing this Saturday. Been so busy lately.

I'm not traveling for the holiday so I'm going to try to get, too. I may go to Hood Canal next weekend since blackmouth are open over there. I also need to get out to the coast for surf perch all day, razor clams all night. So much to do. :

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 21, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
In my general area, salmon fishing looks like this;

Find your nearest ditch that has less than waist deep water, and floss across the stream with big spoons or a plastic drift beads. I’ve yet to do it, but it seems way different than my “where in the god drat huge river are the fish?”

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Open ocean salmon taste better than those guys going dark. They stopped eating a bit ago and living off fat.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Had a two hour window of excellent conditions for pompano before the wind picked up. Caught 8 bluefish 5 dink pomps and finally got this 16 incher

He was the only keeper but that was enough for an excellent dinner

I washed my thumb on the knife so not exactly picture perfect nigiri. But it's my favorite sushi fish. These are from the belly.

Cooked up the back fillets in butter and spices. Served with salad. loving brilliant.

I cannot recommend this fish enough and Jesus I want a freezer full.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

King of Bees posted:

Had a two hour window of excellent conditions for pompano before the wind picked up. Caught 8 bluefish 5 dink pomps and finally got this 16 incher

He was the only keeper but that was enough for an excellent dinner

I washed my thumb on the knife so not exactly picture perfect nigiri. But it's my favorite sushi fish. These are from the belly.

Cooked up the back fillets in butter and spices. Served with salad. loving brilliant.

I cannot recommend this fish enough and Jesus I want a freezer full.

That's awesome. Whereabouts are you located?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Jacksonville

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I think that I need to spend the week between Christmas and New Years in Florida some year. Very nice fish!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

Jacksonville

Oh neat, what beach?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
This was South Ponte Vedra, by the lone gas station just at the end of Guana preserve. I like the Guana to Vilano stretch. Ft George and the Talbot's up north are fun too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

This was South Ponte Vedra, by the lone gas station just at the end of Guana preserve. I like the Guana to Vilano stretch. Ft George and the Talbot's up north are fun too.

I need to hike Guana some day, it looks like such a neat place.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
We took the dogs mushroom hunting there a few weeks ago. It's a great set of trails. Not too long. The North end of the preserve actually has hunting, but it's a lottery system. I'm looking forward to small game season in Osceola starting in January.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

You don't have to worry too much about teeth cutting line with most things out here. I can't think of anything around here that would require a wire leader or anything like that. Since you're fishing bait off the bottom, you probably want at least an ounce on there to keep the current from tossing it around. If you're going for perch, I've seen people have good success vertical jigging with a dropshot rig and bait. You probably wouldn't need as much weight for that. A slip bobber rig would also be a good approach. Don't forget to rinse the salt water off your line and reel when you're finished!

Finally broke the drought yesterday with a little pile of striped perch on a carolina rig. they were piled up next to the pier so I basically just suspended my shrimp into the crowd. Not the most challenging fishing in the world, but plenty of fun. Now I want to get out to westport and catch some redtails and crab. Thanks for the suggestion dude.

I need some waders for surf/river fishing. Anyone have any recommendations for brands, or stores with good black friday sales?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve fished before but only on boats in the ocean. I want to try fishing a lake or river or something.

I’m thinking about getting;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0KM8SW?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJKC&th=1&psc=1

In 6’6’’ medium-heavy and;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH8FHOO?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJKD&th=1&psc=1

In 4500.

This is based off of the advice of https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rod-reel-for-most-fishers/

It seems like that rod/reel will be able to handle whatever I throw at it. I’m in north central West Virginia. I know it’s not really the season to fish but here I am looking to buy stuff.

What else will I need to buy? After looking at some “what do I need to fish” lists this is what I’ve come up with as sort of the bare minimum.

Tackle box
Hooks size 6-10
Split shot
Bobber
Pliers
Knife
5 gallon bucket
Net
Ruler
Bait

That GX2 is not a "nice" rod but it will probably last forever.

Unless you're going for big salmon or something I think a 4500 size reel might be a bit of overkill and will almost certainly feel ungainly on a medium 6'6". I would recommend a 3000 size instead.

I would add some lip grips and a pair of hemostats to your list, it cam make it a lot easier to remove swallowed hooks.

You might consider a stringer as well. I don't know if you were planning on using the bucket to hold your catch but you could use it to caddy gear and as a seat instead.

E: I don't have experience with that Diawa reel but I am a fan of this reel if you;re looking for something a little less spendy.

titties fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 23, 2018

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If you do get the BG please let me know how you like it. I usually go with Shimano, but I've heard nothing but good things about the BG and am considering it for my next reel.

I'm not sure what you're fishing for in your area, but in my experience 4500 would be big for anything in a lake or river. I use 2500 for freshwater. That said, different manufacturers size a little differently.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 23, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

titties posted:

That GX2 is not a "nice" rod but it will probably last forever.

Unless you're going for big salmon or something I think a 4500 size reel might be a bit of overkill and will almost certainly feel ungainly on a medium 6'6". I would recommend a 3000 size instead.

I would add some lip grips and a pair of hemostats to your list, it cam make it a lot easier to remove swallowed hooks.

You might consider a stringer as well. I don't know if you were planning on using the bucket to hold your catch but you could use it to caddy gear and as a seat instead.

E: I don't have experience with that Diawa reel but I am a fan of this reel if you;re looking for something a little less spendy.

Thanks! I’m totally ok with spending less. I just want a general purpose good for most things rod to get started.

According to the DNR these are my options right now. I don’t know if what I can fish for changes in spring or summer. This was updated Nov. 21

quote:

MONONGAHELA RIVER – The best fishing success for Sauger and Walleye is during low light conditions at dawn and dusk. Sauger, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye, and White Bass are always attracted to the currents in the tailwaters. Jigs with minnows are the best baits right now. Large Hybrid Striped Bass move in and out of the tailwaters and can be caught with a variety of lures. Musky can be caught throughout the river either trolling large crank baits or casting.

CHEAT LAKE – Cheat Lake is now at winter water level fluctuations and the winter boat ramp at Cheat Lake Park is opened. Cheat Lake has one of the best Yellow Perch populations in West Virginia. The easiest way to fish the lake for all species is drifting along the shoreline with a night crawler or minnow on a hook with a couple of split shot at a depth of 10 to 15 feet. Walleye have been reported being caught on deep diving crank baits.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Drove up to the Arizona mountains and fished for Trout all day yesterday. Threw all sorts of spinners, spoons, small plastic worms, real worms. Nothing.

I saw plenty of Trouts chasing my lures right up the the surface but none of them would bite. Boy, that was frustrating.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did you down size?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Finally broke the drought yesterday with a little pile of striped perch on a carolina rig. they were piled up next to the pier so I basically just suspended my shrimp into the crowd. Not the most challenging fishing in the world, but plenty of fun. Now I want to get out to westport and catch some redtails and crab. Thanks for the suggestion dude.

I need some waders for surf/river fishing. Anyone have any recommendations for brands, or stores with good black friday sales?

My pleasure! I'm glad that they were in the mood to bite. It's the worst when you can see a school of them inspecting your bait and not giving a poo poo.

Also, you probably don't need waders for redtails. They usually hang out between the first and second set of breakers, and you shouldn't need to wade out to cast that far. I'd wager for the first few times that I went and waded that there were more fish swimming around my ankles than were near my bait.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I'd wager for the first few times that I went and waded that there were more fish swimming around my ankles than were near my bait.

Behold, my surf cane pole

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

My pleasure! I'm glad that they were in the mood to bite. It's the worst when you can see a school of them inspecting your bait and not giving a poo poo.

Also, you probably don't need waders for redtails. They usually hang out between the first and second set of breakers, and you shouldn't need to wade out to cast that far. I'd wager for the first few times that I went and waded that there were more fish swimming around my ankles than were near my bait.

How about for the humpy run in the sound? I was thinking that could give my cast some extra yardage

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

How about for the humpy run in the sound? I was thinking that could give my cast some extra yardage

A good salmon/steelhead rod with 2-3 oz of lead will give you those yards better than wading in the sound will, and you can use that rod for surf fishing too. Most people without boats catch salmon in the sound from piers (as I understand it), or in rivers during the earliest part of the spawn before they become nightmare fish.

Waders would be a lot more useful in the river than in the sound, though. Neoprene is cheap and warm, but isn't a lot of fun to take on and off. Newer style, breathable waders are very comfortable to wear, but lack insulation. Stockingfoot waders will leak before bootfoot. Pros and cons abound.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Behold, my surf cane pole

I would like to behold this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been meaning to do some more fishing. I went out today with an old take-down rod, then realized the line was at least 10 years old. I spent more time dealing with snarls than I did fishing!

Before I go put new line on, is this reel worth keeping? It's made by Mitchell, model appears to be "Outback", "20", or some combination of those two.

The rod is marked "Mitchell Outback Pro Deluxe Travel System" and has these specs on it:

Are these worth keeping?

It looks like I probably want 8-10lb line? I'm currently trying to target stocked rainbows here in Albuquerque and 8-10 lb looks to be a pretty general-purpose line.

What's the best bet for fishing relatively fast-moving streams? Besides some fly fishing, I've only done bait & spinners in lakes as a kid. I'd like to fish the "drains", which are relatively swift man-made channels paralleling the Rio Grande. They have catfish and bass normally and get stocked with rainbows in the winter. Uniformly about 10 feet across, maybe 3-5 feet deep, water moves pretty quickly. Do I just cast a spinner upstream and reel it down? Is live bait / powerbait a possibility?

Edit: skimming through the latest fishing regulations and what the gently caress is this

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 3, 2018

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been meaning to do some more fishing. I went out today with an old take-down rod, then realized the line was at least 10 years old. I spent more time dealing with snarls than I did fishing!

Before I go put new line on, is this reel worth keeping? It's made by Mitchell, model appears to be "Outback", "20", or some combination of those two.

The rod is marked "Mitchell Outback Pro Deluxe Travel System" and has these specs on it:

Are these worth keeping?

It looks like I probably want 8-10lb line? I'm currently trying to target stocked rainbows here in Albuquerque and 8-10 lb looks to be a pretty general-purpose line.

What's the best bet for fishing relatively fast-moving streams? Besides some fly fishing, I've only done bait & spinners in lakes as a kid. I'd like to fish the "drains", which are relatively swift man-made channels paralleling the Rio Grande. They have catfish and bass normally and get stocked with rainbows in the winter. Uniformly about 10 feet across, maybe 3-5 feet deep, water moves pretty quickly. Do I just cast a spinner upstream and reel it down? Is live bait / powerbait a possibility?

Edit: skimming through the latest fishing regulations and what the gently caress is this

In 2019 they will apply this to traffic lights too. Don’t run a red chile!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

In 2019 they will apply this to traffic lights too. Don’t run a red chile!

Following their scheme, red+green would mean go and green would mean prepare to stop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks like they are trying to manage the population of some sub species of trout.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Following their scheme, red+green would mean go and green would mean prepare to stop.

It's the New Mexico Way!

Anyway, that 5-piece rod and reel that you posted seem like they'd be alright for trout and panfish, but you could spend $30ish for a 2-piece rod w/ reel combo that could be a bit more all-purpose. Daiwa makes some good entry-level stuff like that. If you get a reel of any brand that comes pre-spooled with line, strip that poo poo off and replace it. It's almost certain to be garbage quality with permanent loops.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok I guess I need your youtube recommendations so I can learn how to cast a spinning reel. I used to do it as a kid, but I bought a new rod and reel today, got new line put on at the store, and then went out and cast the line into knots until I got sick of untying them and went home.

I remembered it being you hold the line to the rod with your right index finger, flip open the bail with your left, and cast, releasing the line as you bring the rod forward. I'm clearly loving something up, though.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok I guess I need your youtube recommendations so I can learn how to cast a spinning reel. I used to do it as a kid, but I bought a new rod and reel today, got new line put on at the store, and then went out and cast the line into knots until I got sick of untying them and went home.

I remembered it being you hold the line to the rod with your right index finger, flip open the bail with your left, and cast, releasing the line as you bring the rod forward. I'm clearly loving something up, though.

Have you tried switching the side the retrieve handle is on? Maybe you'll have better luck.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have had like one snag a year casting on braid, sometimes very drunk, vs mono where I would have 1-2 an hour and needed perfect form.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What exactly is happening when you cast? Sounds like you're casting correctly. Poor casting technique usually results in missing your target or sending a lure straight up or back at your face.

Knots point to issues with the line or how it's spooled. Could be overspooled, line might be too heavy for the reel, they may have spooled it backwards, or it.could just be lovely, lovely line. What sort of line is it?

I vastly prefer braid for spinning reels to avoid these issues, but decent braid is not cheap compared to mono.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Trite but, seriously, practice practice practice. After a long break from baitcasting it took me over a year to get as proficient with bait casters as an adult as I was when I was barely 10.

But, for shits and grins, maybe you are releasing your index finger too late in the cast. Or too early.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
So the pompano are definitely gone South for the winter. I'm going to move.off the beach and start targeting flounders in the jetties. One Ray of sunshine is that we might have enough spare to charter a black fin tuna day trip in a few weeks. They're in season right now with most catching the 100 pound limit. Theoretically we could get 400 lbs. That would stock the freezer, feed a party and be great gifts. Crossing my fingers. Last time I did that was yellow tail in Mexico with 150 pounds of fillets.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

So the pompano are definitely gone South for the winter. I'm going to move.off the beach and start targeting flounders in the jetties.

The punctuation of that sentence led me to imagine a cracker shack lifting delicately from beyond the dunes and onto a charter boat. Thank you for that, it was glorious.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tackle warehouse is running a hell of a sale and is putting the Ark Rods Sniper on sale for $100, a 50% discount. I get paid right before it ends. I may be buying a new rod shortly. :|

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Welp, I'm up early and forecast calls for 24 mph winds gusting to 39 all day along with scattered thunderstorms. Guess I'm not fishing today. gently caress.

All the local fishing reports are saying now is the time to get after sheepshead. The best way to fish them imo is toss a fiddler crab anywhere near structure and then don't do anything! Basically you wait until the rod is doubled over and the fish is definitely on before you touch it. Sheepshead are bucktoothed nibblers and you got to let them catch themselves.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kill/eat them all. God I hate those teeth.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

hosed up sheepshead

Last Christmas I was in South Carolina and my family and I went pier fishing for some of these weird fuckers. We didn't catch any, and in a way that's a relief. The bait shop sold us shrimp and told us to jig it a little, but I like your method better.

How does it taste, anyway? Do serious sheepshead anglers keep the teeth in mayonnaise jars as trophies?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm tempted to get one of these telescopic kastking rods

They look pretty useful for traveling/backcountry stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Last Christmas I was in South Carolina and my family and I went pier fishing for some of these weird fuckers. We didn't catch any, and in a way that's a relief. The bait shop sold us shrimp and told us to jig it a little, but I like your method better.

How does it taste, anyway? Do serious sheepshead anglers keep the teeth in mayonnaise jars as trophies?

They taste like snapper I guess. A mild fairly firm white fish. They're excellent eating.