Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You can't make good story mods in Fallout games. It's never happened. Even the 'good' ones are poo poo, and I fully expect someone to jump to the defense of at least one of them. It's probably going to be the bounties mod, where you are sent to kill a single pop culture reference and then immediately go back and repeat. And I have a pretty high tolerance for poo poo, I'm currently playing and enjoying Fallout 76.
Autumn Leaves was okay for something made by one dude. :shrug:
But yeah, any story mod for any game is most likely going to be bad. It's not a Fallout or Bethesda-engine thing. Writing simply isn't easy, especially in videogame format. Also things like level, encounter and quest design are also hard to do right and very easy to screw up. So even if by some miracle your mod team has a writer who can produce, can take criticism from peer-review, etc, you're probably still going to end up with a mod that plays like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raygereio posted:

can take criticism from peer-review

Herein lies the problem. The Venn diagram of "People who can't take criticism" and "People with time and energy to devote to large unpaid mod projects" is almost a perfect circle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
*Looks at the mountain of waifu companion mods and then looks at Novajam's videos on them.*

Sure, it might be Skyrim and not Fallout, but the rule applies that any modder writing a mod wants to have sex with their creation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arcsquad12 posted:

*Looks at the mountain of waifu companion mods and then looks at Novajam's videos on them.*

Sure, it might be Skyrim and not Fallout, but the rule applies that any modder writing a mod wants to have sex with their creation.

We've known that since the movie Weird Science at the latest.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

We've known that since Pygmalion at the latest.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A little, uh, on the nose, neck seam concealer mod

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch out for strangers.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Interesting NPCs for New Vegas is pretty fun, adds some new quests, a bunch of background NPCs and a companion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UczwHXzoNFA
(this is at the drive-in movie theatre outside Primm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKO9DoKmSu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCnpGxUsMw
(this is the follower, she comments on a lot of the stuff & people you come across throughout the wastes, at least early on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CdVA9PA67M

The Skyrim one tended to have a lot of long-winded backstories, the NV edition seems to shy away from that, thankfully

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Wow, that seems really good. Well written, well acted, and with good audio quality.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

bony tony posted:

Wow, that seems really good. Well written, well acted, and with good audio quality.

They've got mods for all the post-oblivion Bethesda games, sadly the FNV one doesn't have super much content, but it's still a nice and worthwhile addition

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
saw some people now recommend finding alternatives to project nevada? any particular reason?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rinkles posted:

saw some people now recommend finding alternatives to project nevada? any particular reason?

I mean, at this point most things Nevada does are done by other mods, it's a little bit old, and most compatibility mods are designed to be compatible with the whole suite.

But I haven't really kept up with the latest overhauls and what not, so I'm not sure.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I've seen people saying on... *shudder* Reddit that PN isn't much good anymore (cited reasons are that it 'slows down the game as the game goes on' or something like that), and that you can replicate it by using other mods.

Nevertheless, I still went with PN for my recent playthrough. Seems to be doing okay. I'm also using Solid Project on top of it which adds some nice things.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've seen people saying on... *shudder* Reddit that PN isn't much good anymore (cited reasons are that it 'slows down the game as the game goes on' or something like that),
I'm pretty sure this is nonsense. It's probably just people mindlessly repeating things. The scripting engine in New Vegas can't even really cause slowdown over time.
PN does have scripts that are a bit inefficient today. It could be rewritten to take advantage of better techniques and functionality NVSE introduced after PN was made.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Project Nevada is my friend, I can't imagine playing through NV without it. Especially after doing runs with Logan's Loophole and changing the skill pnts and perks per lvl.

Not to mention all the other options for customization.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been forever since I last booted up NV and I'm having trouble; Mod Organiser can't login to Nexus anymore, I can't remember how to get fullscreen HD, and in general how I was playing this drat game last time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been forever since I last booted up NV and I'm having trouble; Mod Organiser can't login to Nexus anymore, I can't remember how to get fullscreen HD, and in general how I was playing this drat game last time.

Go to the MO2 page, and download that version of MO1, they changed something on Nexus so the og progam won't work anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Randaconda posted:

Go to the MO2 page, and download that version of MO1, they changed something on Nexus so the og progam won't work anymore.

Thanks. ...oh christ, how do I install MO1 Legacy? Overwrite the old stuff? It's been ages and I barely understood all this in the first place.

ed: Oh wait I got it working I think.

ed 2: New problem: Still can't figure out how to unfuck the screen resolution. Should be 1920x1080.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 22, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thanks. ...oh christ, how do I install MO1 Legacy? Overwrite the old stuff? It's been ages and I barely understood all this in the first place.

It's a brand new install, afaik, but you might be able to copy the downloads from one folder to the other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just overwrote the old install files, seems to work. Aside from the abovementioned resolution problems but that was a thing I probably did to myself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't you just change the resolution in your MO2 ini editor and then go into the folder to make the ini read only?

As for project Nevada, the issue comes from Extra Options. It was never fully completed so it has some scripts that cause performance loss on long play sessions, but it's hard to pass up for all the good stuff it adds and tweaks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can't you just change the resolution in your MO2 ini editor and then go into the folder to make the ini read only?

...the what in the waht?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...the what in the waht?

In mod organizer there's a "configure" button on the top of the left window that has an ini editor inside it. In here you can change settings for fallout.ini and Falloutprefs.ini. Find the [display] section, go down to the height and width lines, and apply 1980x1080 to set your resolution. That should fix your resolution. I only recommend setting your ini files to Read Only as a last resort. This will lock your ini settings but it can be a hassle to keep unlocking it again if you need to make tweaks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

In mod organizer there's a "configure" button on the top of the left window that has an ini editor inside it. In here you can change settings for fallout.ini and Falloutprefs.ini. Find the [display] section, go down to the height and width lines, and apply 1980x1080 to set your resolution. That should fix your resolution. I only recommend setting your ini files to Read Only as a last resort. This will lock your ini settings but it can be a hassle to keep unlocking it again if you need to make tweaks.

...okay, that didn't work, but I actually found the right resolution option in the launcher this time??

I'm bad at numbers, if that wasn't obvious, but I finally got it working, thanks. I think.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 23, 2018

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

so i beat new california
the ending i got was pretty buggy but honestly as an experience i enjoyed it quite a bit?
the writing is definitely mega stupid, but it's like... endearingly stupid? i guess? instead of outright awful and boring in the same vein as like project boulder dome and many of the fo3 'expansions'.
it really has that like 'dumb kid writing a fanfiction' kinda feel to it which i guess is appropriate for a mod to a degree.
the most important part is that it seems like there is a whole lot of branching and choice in terms of how to approach stuff and how you proceed forward in the story, so the 'spirit' of that fallout experience is there in lieu of the comedically bizarre writing

also the balance in combat is totally off kilter but i think it's meant to evoke like, 'shooters' because there is no economy and you just have high end weapons rain down on you nonstop and can have like an infinite crew of people just running around blasting people for you. by the end of the game i think i had like a small troop, literally comprised of like 4 different companions and then like 10 ncr troopers just blazing away at everything

in summary:

oh also if you pick to be a dumb nerd at the start you get an invincible killer robot who makes it so you don't have to fight bosses because they just instadie from a dialogue choice

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 25, 2018

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what does MCM in the op stand for?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mod configuration menu. Super handy tool

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They really should have put in the evil OWB ending where you join the Think Tank and turn the Mojave inside out.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They really should have put in the evil OWB ending where you join the Think Tank and turn the Mojave inside out.

The good karma ending where everybody lives in OWB is maybe my favorite game ending ever. :kiddo:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

OWB's cut ending posted:

The Gomorrah became home to a particularly virulent vegetation-based STD that grew like a fungus within victim's genitalia until their bodies burst open like pods.
:stare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Guess they got their hands on some of Vault 22's nasty business, and one of them must have been a bit of a poet, given what you discover about 22 in HH.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The full ending does mention that the Big MT was responsible for Vault 22 all the way back before the war. That said, the spore carrier thing is explicitly a fungus. Boy, the cordyceps fungus was an inspiration for people.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Randaconda posted:

The good karma ending where everybody lives in OWB is maybe my favorite game ending ever. :kiddo:

It cements New Vegas for me as a people helper simulator. You roll into town (or maybe get teleported and surgeried) and Sort poo poo Out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm getting an issue with mod organizer 2. I'm trying to download Fallout Character Overhaul and I keep getting an error message that says:

"Could not find part of the path C:\Users\John\Appdata\Local\Temp\NexusClientCLI\Fallout Character Overhaul 2.3.1\Fallout Character Overhaul 2.3.1\fomod"

Installation failed (error code 5)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randaconda posted:

Same, you use the power of friendship and your own intelligence to help the twisted remains of scientists who willing turned themselves into monsters in the pursuit of their own selfish goals to regain their humanity and start creating technology that can benefit all of society. It's a surprisingly sweet and thoughtful way to end such a darkly comedic story like Old World Blues, yet it totally fits and feels natural.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Same, you use the power of friendship and your own intelligence to help the twisted remains of scientists who willing turned themselves into monsters in the pursuit of their own selfish goals to regain their humanity and start creating technology that can benefit all of society. It's a surprisingly sweet and thoughtful way to end such a darkly comedic story like Old World Blues, yet it totally fits and feels natural.

Goddammit you have me going and playing this game again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chitoryu12 posted:

Goddammit you have me going and playing this game again.

Good. Glad I could help you make a good life choice.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

My god, modding is really loving difficult. Every time I try to follow a step by step guide, I get errors even during mod install. Is this a Windows 10 thing? I'm trying to do utterly basic stuff...

- FNV 4 GB Patcher
- NVSE
- NVAC
- New Vegas Stutter Remover
- User Interface Organizer
- OJO BUENO Texture Pack

And something that will prevent me from being able to unload a full clip of a machine gun into the face of a super mutant and have him lose 1/10th of his health. Any suggestions on something like this?

I will keep on trucking, but this is my third attempt after giving up the last few times as I can't even install the above list without it all crashing or failing.

(EDIT: My modding goal is simply to play FO:NV with much improved textures and lighting, and something that prevents the retarded enemy scaling as described above. Any help, goons?)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What errors are you actually getting while installing things. We're not psychic.
Also do note that New Vegas Stutter Remover by default doesn't work on Win10. You'll need to do some fiddling in the .ini files, check NVSR's comment thread on the Nexus.