Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Same in canada, coworkers can't get into web outlook, but desktop outlook on a unmanaged laptop doesn't use 2fa for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

where have i seen ads in windows before

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That was The Microsoft Network, an AOL/Compuserve-type service.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

rip

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I used to play Age of Empires 2 on the "zone".

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

cool, but I kinda hate reading this thread because it's all first person. I want to mock from a safe distance. I don't want to rub shoulders with the moaning diseased. that makes it less funny.

good to see you back and bringing the pleasure Kevin

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

PleasureKevin posted:

cool, but I kinda hate reading this thread because it's all first person. I want to mock from a safe distance. I don't want to rub shoulders with the moaning diseased. that makes it less funny.

i thought you were done being homeless and without a monitor that could be off???

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:love:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
whichever brain genius decided the default behaviour in office apps should be to completely override the printer driver settings while still giving you the option to manually set settings via the print driver, should be hung from a lamp post by their dick and beaten like a fleshy pinata

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

whichever brain genius decided the default behaviour in office apps should be to completely override the printer driver settings while still giving you the option to manually set settings via the print driver, should be hung from a lamp post by their dick and beaten like a fleshy pinata

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no one gives a poo poo about printing, but lord almighty the team responsible for this poo poo must have had some severe syphilitic brain damage or something

there's multiple page setup options that will override your printer settings, among them is one called "default" which will actually use your printer's tray preference, and two called "automatically select" which will just do whatever the gently caress. surprisingly, the one named "default" is not actually the default, and because defaults are per-template and per document, even if you set "use as default" after selecting the one that actually works, it won't apply to anything else anywhere and the button is effectively loving useless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'd like to think that's a pile of printers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finally got access installed and it hosed all the file associations for word excel and powerpoint. gj satya

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why does excel want me to "log on" when i open a csv file

this is bullshit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krankenstyle posted:

why does excel want me to "log on" when i open a csv file

this is bullshit

and it's stepsister "here's what's new in excel"

i don't want it i just want you to not mangle csv files (an impossibility in excel for mac)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hot take: the office team should be castrated with rusty farming implements

also fun, installing the ctr version of office 2019 kills the modern-app version, it also completely resets any settings, preferences, or profiles created by the modern-app version.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The UWP apps are discontinued, so of course they're being replaced.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there is a microsoft store distributed version of office 2019 and office 365 that lives in its own microsoft store silo and doesn't integrate with any other installed apps and dies a lonely lonely death if you install the CTR version instead. this is also what comes as the oem pre install if you purchase an office license with your PC. and if you don't run it at least once to tie it to a microsoft account *poof* goes your license

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

finally got access installed

Found your problem here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if at any point you find you have a use case for access, consider barring the doors and setting fire to the building.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 21, 2018

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

microsoft access is one of those things thats often there but no one uses it or even knows truly what it is

like the briefcase in win 9x

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

microsoft access is one of those things thats often there but no one uses it or even knows truly what it is

blessed be

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

our barcode management and creation system is an undocumented pile of access/excel/outlook macros living in a folder on a single, ancient desktop computer that’s never been backed up.

one day it stopped working and stuff started grinding to a halt so i tried to debug the pile of macros and every line was evaling string references to other parts of the macro pile instead of just calling the functions directly so i gave up. next day it all magically started working again and nobody even cares why it stopped working lol.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i think the briefcase is supposed to be so you could "easily" sync files if you work at home using like, a floppy or something.
how it does that in a way that's superior to just pasting the file onto the floppy and over-writing it at home i have no idea

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

Found your problem here

it's this or update this goddamn shartpoint list manually with hundreds of entries and gently caress THAT

mystes
May 31, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Access is based on an obsolete vision that end users who were somewhat technically inclined but weren't necessarily programmers would be allowed to do things like create databases.

It was similar to the obsolete idea of having "desktop publishing" software for normal users instead of the current situation where professionals shell out lots of money for Creative Cloud and everyone else uses Word for page layout.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
access exists to stop idiots from using dBase. in that it has been a success and we should consider it a triumph.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, removing or significantly expanding the limitations of excel spreadsheets has largely killed off the use case for access

i wish it weren't true, but it is

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

access exists to stop idiots from using dBase. in that it has been a success and we should consider it a triumph.

now we just need the cure for nosql

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

now we just need the cure for nosql

mongodb is web scale

orange sky
May 7, 2007

How does nosql work anyway

How do you query data that is not structured

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

very carefully

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange sky posted:

it is structured, it just isn’t in a bunch of tables. see the giant list of different types on the Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoSQL?wprov=sfti1

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So it's just a bunch of hash maps

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

orange sky posted:

start with mysql. remove features until it sounds innovative. add clustering if you have removed enough features that clustering is easy

depending on what features you have removed, querying can range from "kinda like mysql but the syntax is even shittier than sql" to "well you can scan it i guess" to "export it to mysql if you want queries"

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

orange sky posted:

mongodb is web scale

orange sky
May 7, 2007

you turn it on and it scales right up

orange sky fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 22, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

orange sky posted:

this is pretty true and one of the better aspects of the idea. the log-factor and unified nature (i.e. there is no really natural clustering) of b-trees gets to be issues as data grows, whereas the O(1) of hash maps does actually scale pretty far. as one keeps messing with it stuff like rehashing stuff gets more complicated, as you need to be able to defer the work, as you cluster you start having to do stuff like build bloom indices to find things etc., but it is a very flexible base to get such work done on

plenty of highly structured nosql things though (column databases remain the coolest case), they do tend to have in common ditching b-trees however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is pretty true and one of the better aspects of the idea. the log-factor and unified nature (i.e. there is no really natural clustering) of b-trees gets to be issues as data grows, whereas the O(1) of hash maps does actually scale pretty far. as one keeps messing with it stuff like rehashing stuff gets more complicated, as you need to be able to defer the work, as you cluster you start having to do stuff like build bloom indices to find things etc., but it is a very flexible base to get such work done on

plenty of highly structured nosql things though (column databases remain the coolest case), they do tend to have in common ditching b-trees however

range scan

that would be the feature removed for innovation purposes