Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I love Mars because of Squwaker. So versatile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Well, this thread got me. I ordered a bunch of decks with my closeout netrunner stuff to get my order to $100 at miniaturesmarket. Cores are impossible to get, but I figure I've got enough FFG tokens lying around to wing it. C'mon absurd names!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Grabbed 4 decks today, opened one to learn how to play the game. Presenting Metalittle, the Chemist of Earthlings

Don't know how one Chemists an Earthling, but I'm seeing some potential combos in there already. One of my local FLGS is running an event on Sunday where the top people can win ANOTHER DECK, so I guess that might be my first learning experience if I can't find anyone else to convince to buy a deck and play with me before then :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Quidthulhu posted:

Grabbed 4 decks today, opened one to learn how to play the game. Presenting Metalittle, the Chemist of Earthlings

Don't know how one Chemists an Earthling, but I'm seeing some potential combos in there already. One of my local FLGS is running an event on Sunday where the top people can win ANOTHER DECK, so I guess that might be my first learning experience if I can't find anyone else to convince to buy a deck and play with me before then :v:

If you or any other goons want to test their decks out online, apparently https://www.thecrucible.online allows for playing online and now allows you to import registered decks. It's on the honor system to use your own decks, but that could be fun!

Edit: There's currently a visual bug where if you add a deck, it doesn't show that you've added it until you refresh, and I'm not sure mavericks are supported.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 21, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Decided to buy in and got 4 decks. I like the idea behind the game. Hopefully I can find some organized play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know what my favorite house is, but I can tell you I hate Mars and will probably trade away any deck with Mars in it unless the synergies are amazing. "Comes in stunned" is too big of a drawback when all creatures already come in tapped.

By FAR the best Mars creatures don't come in Stunned. Blypyp, Megamouth, John Smyth, etc. People really ened to break themselves of the idea that big beefy critters areautomatically good in this game.

Also, pair ti with Sanctum and Clear Mind it's delish.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
In the few places that carry it, this thing is sold out. Wtf

Hauki
May 11, 2010

UltraRed posted:

F F G

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So my release event is this weekend. Sounds like there's about 16 people preregistered. From what I was able to gather, as the event is being run in Chinese, they're going to explain how to play and then we'll break off into groups of 8, 2 rounds of swiss and then the people who won both games get prizes. My store has said they weren't able to get kits from the people running this thing so I don't know if that means that they aren't using a kit or if they only run events on their own but I certainly wouldn't mind getting some of those metal keys or the promo house cards(although I'm looking at making a custom dial for that using one of the acrylic L5R dial bases I have laying around.)

No matter what I'm super into checking this game out and seeing how it plays. One thing I'm really into is how the mulligan/first player deal works.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I like the first player/mulligan thing a lot. Mulliganing hurts a lto less as first player, and mulliganing is never a HUGE penalty becase you're rarely playing more than 3 cards in the first round anyway, and you draw to full rather than just the one so getting card locked is almost impossible. It's good.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

On the plus side, it appears that FFG can turnaround the decks pretty quickly, it's the Starter boxes that are going to be sold out for a while. That's fine, I'll make my own tokens. (Now to see if there's a way to get a bunch of tiny 1, 3, and 5 stickers...)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You should be able to pick some up later next week. The full restock of Archon decks is coming very shortly. If anyone really wants to purchase some decks without using Ebay or a major retailer, let me know and I can sell some. I'd prefer to sell 3-4 at a time in order to save on shipping.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ShowTime posted:

You should be able to pick some up later next week. The full restock of Archon decks is coming very shortly. If anyone really wants to purchase some decks without using Ebay or a major retailer, let me know and I can sell some. I'd prefer to sell 3-4 at a time in order to save on shipping.

Guy on ebay was selling a case of 12 packs with the metal keys as a BIN for what would have been around $150usd shipped out here. I didn't want to get that many decks until I was comfortable I'd have the players but I really should have jumped on that. Seems like I'm going to be able to co-organize a women's board game event to get them into Keyforge and 12 packs would have been the perfect number to order.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CuddlyZombie posted:

If you or any other goons want to test their decks out online, apparently https://www.thecrucible.online allows for playing online and now allows you to import registered decks. It's on the honor system to use your own decks, but that could be fun!

Edit: There's currently a visual bug where if you add a deck, it doesn't show that you've added it until you refresh, and I'm not sure mavericks are supported.

I'm using it now. It works good but it does make everything play slowly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UltraRed posted:

The shop I work at has gone through like 200 decks in a week

A week

I'm still waiting to buy my second one

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Only bought one deck to give this game a shot, was pretty fun. Especially when you forge 2 keys in the same turn to close out the game.

One disappointment I had was my very boring deck name
Yoren "Arc" Terio

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Managed to snatch up 3 decks. The store also gives out bags of free 3D printed tokens too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

By FAR the best Mars creatures don't come in Stunned. Blypyp, Megamouth, John Smyth, etc. People really ened to break themselves of the idea that big beefy critters areautomatically good in this game.

Also, pair ti with Sanctum and Clear Mind it's delish.

Excuse me, I think you mean "John Smyth"

Cracked 2 decks for me and a relative to play at Thanksgiving. He was kicking my rear end all night, just couldn't get any creatures out to deal with his board.

I finally drew a cool board clear combo:

Mars - Deal 3 Damage to everything
Untamed - Destroy all damaged creatures

But he had a Sanctum creature that has Destroyed: Fully heal all friendly creatures

So there was just nothing I could do :shrug: But oh well. Game is fun.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 23, 2018

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I had the Mars dude who Archives your opponents creatures when he Reaps and managed to get 5 uses out of him in a single turn against my wife. She was not pleased. Then I played the Logos card that gives you an Æmber for each card in your archive on my next turn. I've never been so excited about sleeping alone.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

I had the Mars dude who Archives your opponents creatures when he Reaps and managed to get 5 uses out of him in a single turn against my wife. She was not pleased. Then I played the Logos card that gives you an Æmber for each card in your archive on my next turn. I've never been so excited about sleeping alone.

Yah the Zookeeper is insanely horrible.

Mars has a weird dichotomy between big bruisers and tiny squishy duders with HORRIBLE abilities that you have to kill RIGHT NOW or you lose hard.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
So far I've found opening/playing new decks and replaying the same deck to be more or less equal joys, which is great. Each deck feels like it has a good amount of nuance to sort out which is really what this game needs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pvt. Parts posted:

So far I've found opening/playing new decks and replaying the same deck to be more or less equal joys, which is great. Each deck feels like it has a good amount of nuance to sort out which is really what this game needs.

This is exactly how I feel. I have a bunch of decks because I'm in need stores all the time, but playing the same deck several times really opens it up in a way I don't see in a lot of games.

Does Grommid's passive to gain an æmber work if the Grommid initiates the fight? It's worded kind of strangely.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

food court bailiff posted:

This is exactly how I feel. I have a bunch of decks because I'm in need stores all the time, but playing the same deck several times really opens it up in a way I don't see in a lot of games.

Does Grommid's passive to gain an æmber work if the Grommid initiates the fight? It's worded kind of strangely.

I'm like 99% sure it works either way, yeah. "Fighting" just means "participated in the fight".

How is Organized Play shaping up in everyone's locals? Has been pretty quiet in my large city so far from what I've seen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pvt. Parts posted:

Depends on the deck imo, I definitely had a better time playing one blind that happened to fit with how I play card games than I did with the ones I owned that

Well

Didnt

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Agreed. I just had friends over to try the game/help me test out decks/open the rest of the my sealed product and it was a blast. Getting a chance to really see how a deck worked and determine what I'd like to take to "constructed" events out of my six decks has been a blast so far.

Now to work out a gauntlet to see how we would want to test other decks as I acquire them... :allears:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is anyone interested in deck trading? I've got the following i'm wanting to trade:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/61699dd1-41cd-4451-85a8-cceae054935c
https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/e437b1e9-c2b5-4b43-a211-c0af41f5596c
https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/64301684-2f8d-41c8-acd0-370fbcc1d4dc
https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/43fac541-f50f-44d3-a20e-91b1159f06e4
https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/77a457c6-1511-46b4-89e3-90bb030cefac
https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/718efb66-94e7-4eb0-90c6-09ddb3e5484f

All really good decks I basically planned on opening and playing at some point, but now that I have 3 solid decks i'm looking to trade them for very specific decks. I'm looking for decks with Help from Future Self/Timetraveller and decks with strong Logos/Shadow synergy. I'm also able to trade them for MTG cards or even out right sell them if you are interested.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I found out the hard way that when a Phosphorus Stars says stun each non-Mars creature, it really does mean EVERY. I just assumed it meant enemy creatures only, but I guess that's not the case. There's a few other cards with similar effects too as it turns out.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Roommate has a strong board out of 9 creatures, 5 logos and 4 Mars. I have no creatures out. He opens his turn with Wild Wormhole and flips Gate to Dis.

So yeah I won.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Had my days wrong and am now on my way to the Taipei Keyforge release event. Looking forward to finally getting to play this thing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Got some decks to try it out with my partner. Cobbled together tokens from various other buy 3 core FFG games since KeyForge cores are non-existent. First deck opened... horsemen. So that's on ebay now. I figure if people are throwing out 75-200 on these I might as well just cash it out and get a bunch of decks. We'll try again for actual decks to play later. It's a shame though because Q. Browning, the Crucible Reaver is a pretty cool name.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Karnegal posted:

Got some decks to try it out with my partner. Cobbled together tokens from various other buy 3 core FFG games since KeyForge cores are non-existent. First deck opened... horsemen. So that's on ebay now. I figure if people are throwing out 75-200 on these I might as well just cash it out and get a bunch of decks. We'll try again for actual decks to play later. It's a shame though because Q. Browning, the Crucible Reaver is a pretty cool name.

It's a great idea at this point imo. A lot of people are drawn to "omg the four horseman that's so cool" (myself included at first) but I've honestly yet to see a deck with them that's really successful. I know the potential is there but selling it now while the hype is maximum (and the supply is low) is definitely the right move.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
My assumption is that 1: they're probably not as good as people think unless you have 2 sets in the same deck. And 2: they're not as rare as people think.

Other deck also had the excellent name of: Mighty "Shakalaka" Stig

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Karnegal posted:

My assumption is that 1: they're probably not as good as people think unless you have 2 sets in the same deck. And 2: they're not as rare as people think.

Other deck also had the excellent name of: Mighty "Shakalaka" Stig

I've played against a few different Horsemen decks now and I've not been impressed at all. Maybe the decks with double sets have some teeth but it's at all worth the hype.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Gorefiend posted:

I've played against a few different Horsemen decks now and I've not been impressed at all. Maybe the decks with double sets have some teeth but it's at all worth the hype.

I think all these people paying out for them think KeyForge is much more like MTG than it is.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Ya 4 Horsemen really seems like a bogeyman right now. One of the guys in my playgroup has em and they’re honestly not great without a lot of support too. I’ll take my 4 Niffel Ape, 2 Niffle Queen deck any time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Here's what I'm playing today

Stefamatch, the Inventor of the Pub

Has quite a bit of removal, big hitters and the Bad Penny/Seeker Needle combo.

First opponent I played had 3 seeker needles in his deck which was crazy but not really enough other good shadows stuff to let him activate shadows enough. I won, 3 keys to 1. If I win one more game I win a pack which would be great since they aren't actually selling them in Taiwan yet.

Edit: Won my second game and got a free pack. Second game was expecting a tough matchup but ended up rolling him hard 3 keys to 1 as well and ended the game with like 3-4 extra amber while he had none. He had some good cards including quite a few board wipes but he seemed to really lack ways of getting amber.

Game is good and fun.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 24, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Balon posted:

Ya 4 Horsemen really seems like a bogeyman right now. One of the guys in my playgroup has em and they’re honestly not great without a lot of support too. I’ll take my 4 Niffel Ape, 2 Niffle Queen deck any time.

They're not. People have gone nuts over them because they're relatively rare and because they're big and buff, but I'd far prefer and aember rush. Or just Timetraveller/futureself.

Double horsemen are harder, especially if the deck they come in has wipes, but they're still not all that challenging.

I'd prefer a double time traveller over a double horsemen any day. And an Untamed full of Dust Pixies over both.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thespaceinvader posted:

They're not. People have gone nuts over them because they're relatively rare and because they're big and buff, but I'd far prefer and aember rush. Or just Timetraveller/futureself.

Are they though? They're all five power but they've got no armor and are in a house full of four, five, and six power cards with armor.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

150,000 decks have been registered so far on the online database. No way to gauge actually sales by that number but I'd say the game has probably topped a million in sales by this point.

Cracked my second deck to play with a friend and beat the one I played in release event.

Williams, Bexwyke's Brass Sentinel

I'm not in love with the Mars stuff in this set but the bright side of that is that the Mars stuff is best hoarded so it did make turns easier. Overall I don't like this deck as much, but I do want to make it my mission now to track down a deck with multiple copies of Key to Dis because I used to love playing Larry's Disk in Magic and this is everything I loved out of that. The Guilty Hearts here really didn't seem very good.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So, if you go first you only play one cars on that first turn. Let's assume you get a 3/3/1 split. In general, would you rather make the first play from the 1-card house for a bigger second turn, or from one of the 3s, so you actually get to activate your first play sooner?