Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

also I thought for sure that BitCoin was the reason for all the new posts today:

down another 10% today :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

People who are used to always having a new car have imagined horrors about older cars to help justify it to themselves. Also they probably don't keep up on maintenance so their cars start making GBS threads the bed after a few years anyway.

That's absolutely true. There are a large portion of people who think that, even in modern cars, 100k miles is like, ready to fall apart like in a cartoon. Meanwhile I'll continue driving my 10+ year old cars that I actually maintain so they are reliable.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Yond Cassius posted:

According to the page some lawyers put together to sue them, OptionSellers customers aren't just broke, they're facing a margin call.

Update on the OptionSellers collapse: the story has made it to the Wall Street Journal.

One investor's account involves going "from having about $470,000 invested with OptionSellers.com to being roughly $150,000 in debt".

Best comment of the WSJ: "I hear the investors over at OptionBuyers.com made a killing."

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Apparently the LulaRoe empire is starting to collapse? https://amp.businessinsider.com/lularoe-legging-empire-mounting-debt-top-sellers-flee-2018-11

I'm excited for all the #BossMoms pissing and moaning like the CryptoTurds on Twitter.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Lockback posted:

My mom had this exact conversation with that almost word-for-word "You always have a car payment, so why not trade up?" and when I said "What about my 2015 Mazda 3 that I paid off a year ago" she said that shows that that car is not safe ???? Boomers_financially.txt

This is my mom. She has an Accord that’s only two or three years old, that she got by trading in a previous Accord that was five years old at most. We just had a second baby, and she’s already talking about buying an SUV to have more space the one or two weeks a year we visit.

We’re currently making due in a Fit with dual car seats in the back. It sucks to have long legs and ride in the front passenger seat, but It’s paid off, runs well, and we can easily get another 5+ years out of it.

EPICAC fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 21, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EPICAC posted:

This is my mom. She has an Accord that’s only two or three years old, that she got by trading in a previous Accord that was five years old at most. We just had a second baby, and she’s already talking about buying an SUV to have more space the one or two weeks a year we visit.

We’re currently making due in a Fit with dual car seats in the back. It sucks to have long legs and ride in the front passenger seat, but It’s paid off, runs well, and we can easily get another 5+ years out of it.

Why do people think a baby, the smallest possible form of human, requires the largest form of car? Blows my mind. Car seats fit just fine in the back of a sedan.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why do people think a baby, the smallest possible form of human, requires the largest form of car? Blows my mind. Car seats fit just fine in the back of a sedan.

Rear facing car seats don't once you get beyond the infant sized ones, and even some of the infant sized ones require you to move the passenger seat up quite a bit. If you have two kids under 3 even a mid-sized sedan won't work so well unless the driver is short and not fat.

therobit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 21, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You need to leave at least two wingspans of space between all the children you produce so minivan it is.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

New car smell is absolutely worth the 15% premium on a brand new car.

I will not be responding to comments on this matter

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/11/chinese-customers-hate-new-car-smell-so-ford-files-a-patent-to-bake-it-out/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

therobit posted:

Rear facing car seats don't once you get beyond the infant sized ones, and even some of the infant sized ones require you to move the passenger seat up quite a bit. If you have two kids under 3 even a mid-sized sedan won't work so well unless the driver is short and not fat.

FWIW some popular toddler-sized rear facing or convertible brands will fit in a Prius (unless you’re like 6’4”). For some seats can also get an (approved) wedge that gets you a few more inches. There’s a billion YouTube car seat fit reviews that cover most popular cars and seat brands.

Even the expensive bourgeoisie brands are cheaper than a new truck.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This is very interesting, but what alternative do they have? Used cars literally always smell like stale farts.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
If the value of the dollar is cut in half I am largely insulated because my investments are entirely in nickels

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I have a car

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Murderball posted:

I have a car

M....mods???

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Murderball posted:

I have a car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spo1jK4CCEU

User loses posting privileges for 6 hours

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is very interesting, but what alternative do they have? Used cars literally always smell like stale farts.

My farts

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

FWIW some popular toddler-sized rear facing or convertible brands will fit in a Prius (unless you’re like 6’4”). For some seats can also get an (approved) wedge that gets you a few more inches. There’s a billion YouTube car seat fit reviews that cover most popular cars and seat brands.

Even the expensive bourgeoisie brands are cheaper than a new truck.

Thankfully my kids were timed such that we only had one rear facing at a time, we just made the front passenger miserable because we were poor and could not afford a newer car or a more expensive car seat back when my second kid was born. I definitely understand why someone would decide they wanted the extra space though.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Thankfully my kids were timed such that we only had one rear facing at a time, we just made the front passenger miserable because we were poor and could not afford a newer car or a more expensive car seat back when my second kid was born. I definitely understand why someone would decide they wanted the extra space though.
cool

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DebtUnexpected School Loan Debt (self.personalfinance)

quote:

Total disclosure, this is completely my fault and I accept that, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for this situation.

My mother co-signed nearly all of my student loans. Key word: nearly. I've been paying off my loans fairly nonchalantly, making minimum payments on time, etc. Here's where I hosed up; Apparently my father co-signed a loan my sophomore year, not my mother. Every time I'd pay my loans off, I'd be on Navient under her name, not his, and so it became out of sight out of mind. I didn't even realize I had this loan until he contacted me to let me know he'd been getting letters... for months. Now the loan has defaulted, and now has almost 5,000 dollars in collection costs, totaling a balance of 32,305 dollars.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this? I actually just got out of school after finishing a coding bootcamp at a private university in Cleveland, and haven't found a decent paying position quite yet, but have done an interview or two. In other words, my income is under 30,000 annually, my disposable income is low.

If I'm not asking the right questions or giving the correct information I apologize, I'm new to this forum, and new to running into financial issues like this.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw a billboard for this and thought y’all might enjoy this intersection of gambling, horses, and reasons to own a truck (a trailer).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

therobit posted:

DebtUnexpected School Loan Debt (self.personalfinance)

Love how dad here is apparently completely nonchalant or unaware re: his own credit getting destroyed here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Krispy Wafer posted:

Boomers grew up watching their parents' cars poo poo the bed at 80k miles and their own cars barely making 100k. Cars are exponentially more reliable today, but like casual racism, cars dying after 5 years is a tough idea for older people to dismiss.

Young people have no excuse.

Well I have no idea at how some people have so many miles on their new cars. LT2012 said that a 2014 Ford a co-worker used had over 90,000 miles on it. Driving over 300 miles a week seems like torture to me.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Bad with Christmas Money, you say?

quote:

Wife and I have been married 10 years, we have two kids 5 and 3. Wife is a good person but has no concept of money, budgeting and spending. I've gotten her following a pretty decent budget but she comes and blows her was during Xmas.

I don't mind her being generous to friends and family. It brings her joy and I appreciate that. But what disgusts me is her "need" to spend money to decorate. Every single year she goes completely overboard and essentially buys an entire brand new set of Christmas decorations. Everything from tree holders to candle stands to ornaments. Every year it's all brand new and every year she's so exhausted by the end of the holiday to store and organize it all that she just throws it all away.

To best exemplify how it works let's talk about stockings. She will go to target, see cute stockings buy four of them. Then she'll go to world market and see even cuter stockings and she'll buy four of them there. Then she'll see one at Walmart which features lighting McQueen for my son and buy it and buy one for my daughter to be fair. So we'll have 10 new stockings for Xmas and all of them will be thrown in the garbage on January 2nd. The rub is my grandma hand made stockings for the entire family, so we don't even need any, let alone 10. Replace stockings with any other Xmas item and that's how it goes until we have $1500 at least in credit card bills for stuff that's just going in the garbage.

Last year we couldn't afford it all so we ended up paying interest until about April on her xmas purchases. I told her enough was enough and frankly I'm also sick of the amount of junk that were just sending to the land fill. We went over all the decorations we already have and how we could just use those. She agreed.

However I was getting ready for work (I work extra Saturday shifts in Novmeber and December to afford the holidays, another post I guess) and found two huge bags of all brand new Xmas decorations hidden in the garage. I would guess it's $300-$500 worth of stuff. I'm so disgusted I can hardly see straight.

I'm up at 4:30 on a Saturday to work my rear end off for stuff that were going to pay interest on that is going to give us 20 minutes of joy that will rot in the landfill. I feel exhausted and just want to get into bed and tell her to go work.

What do I do here? Sitting in my truck really fighting the urge to go grab the kids and move into my moms house until we get to some resolution here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/9xvq3w/every_year_my_wife_has_spent_upwards_of_1500_on/

In the comments he says his wife spends $10k on Christmas presents.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I love this thread but it makes me so mad at Americans in a way that even politics doesn’t.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I love this thread but it makes me so mad at Americans in a way that even politics doesn’t.

You clearly don't politics very hard. Good for you, honestly.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

All these posts like "I love my husband/wife and theyre a great person except for this absolutely insane poo poo that they do that evidently I can't talk to them about and won't be reasoned with" confound me

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TitleMax "get money for Christmas!" ads are depressing :smith:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

brugroffil posted:

TitleMax "get money for Christmas!" ads are depressing :smith:

Agreed. They should just be getting a stress free holiday loan from their local credit union.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is like 8.25% good for a credit card?

I rarely carry a balance anyway so I never cared to find out how much I'd pay to, uh, not pay.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Thanatosian posted:

I wonder what percentage of American consumer debt can be attributed to Christmas?

I swear, it's the loving BWM olympics, here. I really wish I could go back in time and convince younger me not to ask for so much poo poo from my parents growing up. They never really had to do without or anything for it, but it was really wasteful.

Delinquency rates on consumer loans (and CCs I would guess, although I don’t have direct experience in that segment) do go up in Q4. Noticeably and predictably. They come down later in the year (particularly around tax refund time). There’s also an observable uptick in consumer debt reported in Q4 that then drops off in the following quarters. Both of which are usually attributed to the holiday season.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Love how dad here is apparently completely nonchalant or unaware re: his own credit getting destroyed here.

A lot of people who co-sign loans for their children or grandchildren have no idea that it will actually affect their credit or that they will be legally responsible for the debt if the primary borrower doesn't pay. Then they bitch about how it wasn't their fault when they get declined for a loan or get a higher loan rate because their credit is trashed.

Never co-sign. Take out loans for your kid's education if you have to, but never co-sign.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why do 60+ year old women buy SUVs to transport only themselves around town?

A combination of fashion and compensation, imo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Babies are not loose cargo like soil or rocks, their more like a shipment that comes in too much packaging.

All that stuff is a lot easier to deal with when it’s up higher, and the more vertical sitting position means a large child’s car seat doesn’t impact your comfort up front. You’re also often dealing with the extra stuff to bring for a kid, like a stroller and bags or toys or whatever. So if your choice is between equal priced suvs and sedans, the suv is a more practical choice.

Most SUVs aren’t even that much bigger than the equivalent sedans, just taller.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

FAUXTON posted:

Is like 8.25% good for a credit card?

I rarely carry a balance anyway so I never cared to find out how much I'd pay to, uh, not pay.

Higher is always better. Just likes grades in school or points in football.

Real talk: most CC’s are 15-25% from what I’ve seen. If you get a really garbage card it’s 30+%. Anything below 10 is unheard of in my limited and anecdotal experience. That excludes the intro balance transfer offers of 0%.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dick Nipples posted:

Higher is always better. Just likes grades in school or points in football.

Real talk: most CC’s are 15-25% from what I’ve seen. If you get a really garbage card it’s 30+%. Anything below 10 is unheard of in my limited and anecdotal experience. That excludes the intro balance transfer offers of 0%.

Most commercial banks are gonna have credit cards in the 24-29% range, MAYBE 22% if you have perfect credit and a mortgage through the same bank.

My credit union has a master card in the 9.49 - 14.49% range, as contrast.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It all depends on your credit profile with banks and credit card companies. Credit unions do tend to have lower floor rates, and if your credit isn't perfect you might get a lower rate there since they also don't tend to go up as high, but they also tend to have tighter underwriting requirements. If you have really bad credit you don't generally have much of a choice, as anyone who will write credit for you is going to charge more. If you have good credit you can get rates between 8 and 10 percent from credit unions and banks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is an employee card from a big CC bank, presumably that's why the rate is prime+3.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAUXTON posted:

This is an employee card from a big CC bank, presumably that's why the rate is prime+3.

Ahh, OK that explains it. Employees always get better rates then the public, it's part of the benefits package.

When I worked at Wells Fargo we could apply for a Visa with 4.95%.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Did that guy say 10 grand a year on Christmas presents holy poo poo balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigDave posted:

Ahh, OK that explains it. Employees always get better rates then the public, it's part of the benefits package.

When I worked at Wells Fargo we could apply for a Visa with 4.95%.

That's impressive even with the "lol wells fargo" factor.

we joke about sending our de-risked clients to WF, because wells don't give a fuuuuuck