Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Guys I got diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall, today was my first day. We're going to step my dose up over the next month to find my "sweet spot" based on my size and metabolism. I've never had this much impulse control before, it feels like a super power. Like, it would occur to me that I wanted say or do something retarded THAT WOULD RETARD MY CAREER PROGRESSION like taking a gun apart on watch, but then I would just like, not do it. My wife likes it a lot.

edit: VVV Ahem, I was disabled you insensitive prick!

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Guys I got diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall, today was my first day. We're going to step my dose up over the next month to find my "sweet spot" based on my size and metabolism. I've never had this much impulse control before, it feels like a super power. Like, it would occur to me that I wanted say or do something retarded like taking a gun apart on watch, but then I would just like, not do it. My wife likes it a lot.

Well good for you but your still a big dumb-dumb.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please stop using retarded in that context.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

They told me I was going to accelerate my life.. I didn't know they meant that kind of speed

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EBB posted:

Please stop using retarded in that context.

Please retard your use of retard.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hello Navy thread.

My son (currently deployed on the Stennis) has a question for y'all.

"Can you ask in the SA military thread about the commands, CSG5 (carrier strike group 5) in Japan, & USS Iwo Jima? Can you just ask what to expect as an IT3, daily life, and the command climate? "

Any info is welcome.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Davethulhu posted:

Hello Navy thread.

"Can you ask in the SA military thread about the commands, CSG5 (carrier strike group 5) in Japan, & USS Iwo Jima? Can you just ask what to expect as an IT3, daily life, and the command climate? "

Any info is welcome.

Expect to get hosed you stupid nub bitch

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Davethulhu posted:

Hello Navy thread.

Any info is welcome.

Japan sucks on a sea duty billet. Due to the well known manning and optempo things, you will be underway more than 280 days a year, so have fun with that.

Also be ready for your one week back in port between two long rear end exercises before deploying to the middle east or wherever to be hosed up by your dumbass shipmates who can't help but go out and cause an international incident.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Davethulhu posted:

Hello Navy thread.

Any info is welcome.

If he's smart enough to ask for us by name he's smart enough to keep his head down and qualify as fast as loving possible.

Qualifying as fast as loving possible will result in maybe a 5% reduction in the pain about to be inflicted upon his psyche by the never ending parade of bullshit. Liberty restrictions, being treated like a child, finding creative ways to slack off while cleaning.

So just expect a terrible command climate and learn how to skate so you can sleep a sufficient amount.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Guys I got diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall

Enjoy the free calorie burn. Watch you don't start grinding your teeth. Welcome to the Naval ADHD club, it's almost as cool as Naval Sleep Apnea club.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

Hello Navy thread.

Any info is welcome.

Orange Juche said it best regarding sea billets and Japan. Japan itself it great, but in a normal situation, you're often not there a whole lot, and as an IT3, life sucks even more. You have a midnight curfew and unless you're married or promote, he'll likely be living on his ship or the base barracks.

If he goes that route follow M_Gargantua's advice and tell him to keep his head down, study hard, and promote quick.

Got nothing on the Iwo for you. I know it's an East Coast ship,, but even her wikipedia page is boring.

Dorstein, the Navy at least appears to be decent in letting sailors get night guards. I was able to get a new one made pretty quick through a referral. That poo poo keeps people up at night that aren't you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
drat y'all, chill.

In answer to the question, if those are his only two choices, CSG-5 staff will be way better in terms of his quality of life than Iwo Jima. I was on Flag Staff and our Sailors led a pretty drat good life compared to their ship's company counterparts.

The downside in terms of operational tempo have already been explained and liberty in Japan isn't the greatest right now due to do the restrictions. That said, Japan is still a pretty drat cool place to do a tour.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dorstein posted:

Enjoy the free calorie burn. Watch you don't start grinding your teeth. Welcome to the Naval ADHD club, it's almost as cool as Naval Sleep Apnea club.

Ooooh while I dont have sleep apnea I've been told I'm the worse snorer the lab gave a sleep study to. I should look into this night guard.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I highly recommend if any of think you have sleep apnea, go get the study done. My wife bugged me for years to do it but I wouldn't do it because I didn't want to jeopardize my flight status. I finally had it done leading up to my retirement. Anything over I believe 45 apnea events per hour is considered severe; I clocked in at a cool 88. My quality of life improved immeasurably once I started to use the CPAP and an automatic 50% disability rating is pretty sweet too.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Where does he want liberty/to live? Florida (IWO) or Japan (CSG5)? Or to put it another way, 1st world (Japan) or 3rd world (Florida)? Also if he has access to websked tell him to just look at the (projected) deployment cycles for the Regan and Iwo Jima and see what that means for his situation.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Othin posted:

Where does he want liberty/to live? Florida (IWO) or Japan (CSG5)? Or to put it another way, 1st world (Japan) or 3rd world (Florida)? Also if he has access to websked tell him to just look at the (projected) deployment cycles for the Regan and Iwo Jima and see what that means for his situation.

Hey, Mayport isn't that bwahahah I can't even finish that loving statement, what a poo poo hole. Literally. The entire waterfront smells like poo poo courtesy of our lovely waste treatment plant right there.

I'm also bitter from over a year of busting my rear end in the Florida summers in a parking lot because the base skipper didn't give 2 shits about our unit and wouldn't let us stay in a hangar.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When did the IWO homeport changed from Norfolk to Mayport?

I will say that staff duty, all be it a Commodore and not an Admiral, was better than ship's company but was more deployments as we kept hoping flagships. Also, I will always steer people to let the government pay for you to be overseas

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

When did the IWO homeport changed from Norfolk to Mayport?

I will say that staff duty, all be it a Commodore and not an Admiral, was better than ship's company but was more deployments as we kept hoping flagships. Also, I will always steer people to let the government pay for you to be overseas

He won't be hopping ships as CSG-5 staffer. He'll only be on RR. He'll be on her a lot more than he would on a stateside CSG staff though.

And I agree with you, I think young, single Sailors should take every opportunity to become stationed overseas. More money, broaden your horizons, blah blah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey some of us old married guys just want to get away for a bit too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Being overseas has it's benefits though for real, you get exposure to a foreign culture that will open your eyes to the world outside of the town you grew up in. You won't be in Japan much, but if you keep your head down and stay out of trouble you can have a really good time. Like that time i snuck out to go climb Mount Fuji at night even though curfew was midnight (don't do this unless you know you can get away with it/have preclearance from your CO). The sunrise, and eating instant noodles at 12388 ft was worth it.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Always go overseas if there's an opportunity to do it. The experience changes your life and really broadens your perspective of civilization and what it means to be a citizen of the US and the world. And I'm serious about that!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Except if offered Hawaii always take Hawaii.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
He's an IT, his work time caps out at 7 hours a day. Source - My ITs.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

DustyNuts posted:

Always go overseas if there's an opportunity to do it. The experience changes your life and really broadens your perspective of civilization and what it means to be a citizen of the US and the world. And I'm serious about that!

* unless it’s Chinae or Bahrain as a first term sailor

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Night guards are good.

If you have actual sleep apnea and don't want to deal with the PITA of a CPAP underway, ask about getting an Oral Airway Dilator. It's like a night guard with a bit more structure and helps hold your airway open. It'll probably require some doing on the part of your doc but it's nice to have a solution that doesn't need an outlet.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Think they can also be called a tap device

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Yep, TAP is one brand, mine is a SomnoDent, they're all OADs.

Yes, I got fat.

Voc rehab is great tho, they let me go to university in Canada on their nickel. Now my daughter is a dual citizen.

So I guess the lesson is... Go to medical, or if you're like me, be grateful you got sent to medical instead of mast when you fell asleep on the chart table.

Edit: FWIW it was inport, doing chart corrections, or maybe deck log review... I don't even remember. Still a pretty big foul to fall asleep on the bridge.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 22, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You also don't have to be fat. This runs in my family and it includes rail thin people. Apparently we have super thick necks and that's a big apnea thing

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Ditto. To clarify, I got fat after I got out.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dorstein posted:

To clarify, I got fat after I got out.

:same:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wait how are you a deployed IT3 and up for orders

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Wait how are you a deployed IT3 and up for orders

It's not me, it's my son (I also served, but not in the navy).

His current assignment is Bremerton, however, he's currently (deployed?, temporarily assigned?) to the Stennis while it's rebasing, for 7 months.

Here's his explanation:

"Also, if you are confused how orders work, there are 3 looks. Each look you are given 5 choices. 3 choices of mine have been taken, and the only 2 im waiting on to see if I get selected or not is CSG5 or Iwo Jima. If I don't get selected for any of these orders, then I have 2 remaining looks. There are a lot of different factors of how you get selected."

The air force didn't do anything like this when I was in, so all I can do is pass on what info I have.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

What? I wish I had three looks at orders, I'd have held out for a MARDIV.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Thank you GiP for providing useful sensible information before/during/after my time in the military.

I didn't consult you while I was getting out tho so now I'm a reservist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Thank you GiP for providing useful sensible information before/during/after my time in the military.

I like the reserves.

It’s like poorly run Boy Scouts with pay and cheap health insurance.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Nothing wrong with affiliating with the reserve, where are you out of, if you don't mind

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Nothing wrong with affiliating with the reserve, where are you out of, if you don't mind

East coast noble. URL while on AD, now RL. I am generally open minded about it. I bitch a lot but the mil has objectively done good things for me.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

vulturesrow posted:

I highly recommend if any of think you have sleep apnea, go get the study done. My wife bugged me for years to do it but I wouldn't do it because I didn't want to jeopardize my flight status. I finally had it done leading up to my retirement. Anything over I believe 45 apnea events per hour is considered severe; I clocked in at a cool 88. My quality of life improved immeasurably once I started to use the CPAP and an automatic 50% disability rating is pretty sweet too.

I don't mean to pry, but did they wind up restricting you in any way? Flight status, sea duty/overseas eligibility, that kind of stuff?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I know multiple people actively deployed overseas with cpap machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I just met up with a kid from boot camp who failed out of nuke school but still became a submariner. He just got out but gently caress he more than a bit off. Lying about the most basic stuff. I just didnt know what to do or say. All I could figure was I was seeing early onset mental illness and was just very sad.