Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

I only know of elfen lied via disdainful forums posts. Like a lot of bad 00s anime I'm not sure it actually exists

Elfen Lied is to anime as Harvester is to video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Motto posted:

I only know of elfen lied via disdainful forums posts. Like a lot of bad 00s anime I'm not sure it actually exists
have a thesis statement. there's probably a naked anime lady in this, for warning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAJ-U3qajdc&t=194s

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
stardust crusaders spoilers kakyoin just fed a baby its own poo lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lmao

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I’m pretty sure the only reason anybody knows Elfen Lied exists is because it was in an AMV Hell at one point.

DoubleDonut posted:

Elfen Lied is Darkseed 2, but without the irony or the carnival games.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Double Punctuation posted:

I’m pretty sure the only reason anybody knows Elfen Lied exists is because it was in an AMV Hell at one point.

I think it got recommended to me a long time ago and even when I was 14 I instantly recognized that it was trash

then it started showing up in AMV Hell along with Grenadier, the anime about the girls who reload their guns with their boobs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I still see it on recommendation lists sometimes, for some reason

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

forgettable 00s anime exists in an odd headspace for me since it's what I tend to mentally associate with the height of the highschool, genuinely awkward japanophile western anime culture that's mostly faded away

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

the height of the highschool, genuinely awkward japanophile western anime culture that's mostly faded away

I still vividly remember one of the few non-redneck kids I went to school with explaining the difference between anime and japanimation to one of my friends but I cannot for the life of me remember what her definitions were

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ofc awkward anime culture at large still exists, but it's mostly people watching jojo, sao, dbs, and goblin slayer while talking about waifus "ironically"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DoubleDonut posted:

lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

klapman posted:

stardust crusaders spoilers kakyoin just fed a baby its own poo lol
kakyoin owns cause he comes off the resident bishonen, the Kurama of the group, but then it's revealed he's a total weirdo

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Peak bad 00s anime had to be Galaxy Angel. It was trash, based on even worse trash (“based” in the loosest sense possible), but it was batshit insane trash that was a loving brilliant sight to behold, and I love all four seasons of it.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Peak bad 00s anime had to be Galaxy Angel. It was trash, based on even worse trash (“based” in the loosest sense possible), but it was batshit insane trash that was a loving brilliant sight to behold, and I love all four seasons of it.

Not sure how peak bad anime involves a good show, please revisit your thesis statement and try again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The games were fun too!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Elfen Lied is like a badly written SCP entry, but would also totally fit as one.

Fun fact: Mulan has more kills per minute than the opening seven minutes of Elfen Lied. It's not that hardcore.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 21, 2018

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Captain Cappy posted:

Not sure how peak bad anime involves a good show, please revisit your thesis statement and try again.

Yeah what the gently caress? Galaxy Angel got bad when they replaced the original cast but it's hardly a bad anime before that

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

homeless snail posted:

have a thesis statement. there's probably a naked anime lady in this, for warning

Not gonna lie, the scene where she's loving dudes up in the hallways was actually pretty cool in a vacuum. It went really well with the music.

Expect My Mom posted:

kakyoin owns cause he comes off the resident bishonen, the Kurama of the group, but then it's revealed he's a total weirdo

If I had a kid, the only one I'd leave them alone with is Joseph, and only then if it was for like half an hour. They're all freaks and it rules

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

klapman posted:

They're all freaks and it rules

Part of why I love Part 3 is nobody really knows what they're doing half the time and it rules.

Part of why Part 5 is growing on me is that everyone knows what they're doing and it rules even harder.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/jokanhiyou/status/1065121096553291776

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

klapman posted:

If I had a kid, the only one I'd leave them alone with is Joseph, and only then if it was for like half an hour. They're all freaks and it rules
Hell, :same:.

One thing that I like about JoJo is that, when you meet back with characters from previous arcs, you always get that narrative weight that, while you weren't "watching", they were doing their own stuff and changing as people. It's neat. :3:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I know bout Elfen Lied because a local shop had a bigass poster up for it for like a decade.

Not some indie store either, it was an Electronics Boutique.

It didn't even sell anime for most of that decade.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The mystery haunts me to this day.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
lmfao at the entirety of the second half of Judgement and thank god I didn't see the thumbnail for the next episode. Holy poo poo Polnareff you are the most brutalized dude I've seen in a while. What a twist lmfao

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Elfen Lied was hot poo poo when I was 16 years old but I imagine if I attempted to watch any of it now it would just be plain old cold poo poo.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I really love the "whose on first" style bit you do with you, the knight mommy, and a child who wants to say good night to his mommy

can't think of an in character returning quip but this was really funny thank you

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Hungry posted:

Elfen Lied was hot poo poo when I was 16 years old but I imagine if I attempted to watch any of it now it would just be plain old cold poo poo.

the scene where toddlers club a puppy to death is still really good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zwei is a good game because it's a game about saving the world from an evil dark emperor where for 90% of the game the townspeople are preoccupied with talking about how much the maid in the rich guy's mansion and the local nun are both somehow the most powerful and terrifying people in the village

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

This sucked rear end because the security guards get hosed up over and over in only slightly different ways for what feels like way too long but lol at the scene where there’s 3 reminders on screen for the clumsy OL

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Decided to step it up and re-watch Hanasaku Iroha. I forgot how rad Ohana is. :kimchi:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Fun fact: Mulan has more kills per minute than the opening seven minutes of Elfen Lied. It's not that hardcore.
idk how to tell you this but the movie where you never actually see anyone directly die, just get covered in snow, knocked off screen, or just get implied death via a burnt village, is much less hardcore than the anime where people explode into violent spurts of blood

like 'kills per minute' is a literally meaningless metric

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
krauser's 10 rapes per second are the most hardcore imo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

homeless snail posted:

what, you don't like the show where the dog gets brutally murdered and then the girl pisses herself out of terror

gently caress that show. But also I love Jojos and dio killed a dog which made me sad.

I'm glad people here dislike it because it feels like the Internet Anime Hivemind has decided it is good, and gently caress that show

DoubleDonut posted:

I think it got recommended to me a long time ago and even when I was 14 I instantly recognized that it was trash

then it started showing up in AMV Hell along with Grenadier, the anime about the girls who reload their guns with their boobs

I recognize the name Grenadier only because it was below Full Metal Alchemist on my early 2000s anime torrent site

Motto posted:

forgettable 00s anime exists in an odd headspace for me since it's what I tend to mentally associate with the height of the highschool, genuinely awkward japanophile western anime culture that's mostly faded away
Ya! It's like this weird form of nostalgia that nobody can relate to. I downloaded said FMA Torrents in 2004 and it was a whole 5 gigabytes which took no joke about 2 weeks of leaving my computer on and I burned it to like, 16 CD-Rs and would pass it around the school and everyone who watched it thought it was the greatest show ever

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i found a small stack of CDRs when moving, which is a really good time capsule of my formative anime, not including long-runners

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

elfen lied is an incredibly good comedy that a bunch of 13 year olds in the early 2000s accidentally thought was really deep

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I also have an incredibly vague teenage memory of attempting to read the Elfen Lied manga.

All I recall is that I must warn others: don't read the Elfen Lied manga.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i remember first ep being incredibly bloody but then it was a magic girlfriend show with gore and i kinda stopped after a couple eps despite it being highly recommended by literally everyone back then

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

but then it was a magic girlfriend show with gore

Ah! My Guro

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DoubleDonut posted:

Ah! My Guro

Adbot