Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just a guess, but I imagine with the boosts Ray tracing goes from a 1080p/30 experience to 1080p/60 and stays there this generation. A lot of people still game at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Craptacular! posted:

Just a guess, but I imagine with the boosts Ray tracing goes from a 1080p/30 experience to 1080p/60 and stays there this generation. A lot of people still game at that level.

I can't imagine spending that much on a GPU just to play at 1080p but to each their own I suppose :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

A lot of people, yes, but those buying RTX 2080 (Ti) on top of their expensive i7/i9 CPUs are probably not the ones running 1080p at 30 fps.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Since the Vega 64 is momentarily the same price as a 1070Ti, is there any reason not to prefer the Vega 64? Other than it draws a little more power and runs hotter I suppose.

eames
May 9, 2009

The only thing I can think of is nvenc — if low latency hardware encoded streaming (locally or to a broadcast platform) is of interest to you then I'd get the 1070 ti because Nvidia still has the edge there. Other than that and the points you mentioned the Vega 64 is a perfectly viable alternative, as are the other AMD cards below it. Funny how times change!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd say neither... how much of your life do you want to spend without raytracing?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64/3943vs3933

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

eames posted:

The only thing I can think of is nvenc — if low latency hardware encoded streaming (locally or to a broadcast platform) is of interest to you then I'd get the 1070 ti because Nvidia still has the edge there. Other than that and the points you mentioned the Vega 64 is a perfectly viable alternative, as are the other AMD cards below it. Funny how times change!

Amd has the same thing and is built into the software/driver package just press alt+z to bring up the internal menu honestly its super nice.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

I'd say neither... how much of your life do you want to spend without raytracing?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64/3943vs3933

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-RX-Vega-64-DirectX-12-21275-03-20G-8GB-2048-Bit-HBM2-PCI-Express-/382598638615?hash=item5914a7ec17

and supposedly the ebay coupon PICKFAST will bring it down to $340

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Former Human posted:

Since the Vega 64 is momentarily the same price as a 1070Ti, is there any reason not to prefer the Vega 64? Other than it draws a little more power and runs hotter I suppose.
Any modern AMD or nV card plus their respective *Sync monitor is the only way to go, so dirt cheap Vegas and any FreeSync panel is an easy sell. If you live in a climate where you ever run heating, the power/heat arguments are a joke.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haven't heard a peep on those BFG displays lately.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Yes I came here to say this but ebay is taking 15% off with this coupon code when you use the ebay app. This is basically the only time there is ever a major source of discounted GPUs and CPUs if anybody is in the market (or any no margin item, like PS4's and whatnot). 8pm EST cutoff

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Yes I came here to say this but ebay is taking 15% off with this coupon code when you use the ebay app. This is basically the only time there is ever a major source of discounted GPUs and CPUs if anybody is in the market (or any no margin item, like PS4's and whatnot). 8pm EST cutoff

I will say the ebay discount coupon is nice because i manage to pick up a dslr camera with it last time they had it, and got 91 dollars off my order.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Does anyone have experience with 980Ti's going bad?

Scenario: EVGA 980Ti with a reasonably modest overclock (not at my desktop, but I think it's a +150 core and +200 mem, max power target and custom fan curve). i7-4790k (stock), Asus Maximus VII mobo, 16 GB RAM, Seasonic 660W PSU

Starting a month back the PC would randomly reboot when playing games. Never during desktop use, web browsing, or other low intensity tasks. During the reboot the POST screen would indicate the Asus anti-surge protection feature of the motherboard detected an out of tolerance voltage and shut the system down. At the time I'd been not playing PC games, and figured it was related to some other power issues I was having (chiefly my UPS battery was drained), so I addressed those and went back to playing my PS4. With the release of BF5 the issue has manifested again, and am more motivated to figure it out.

Steps I've taken:

1) Turned off the Asus anti-surge protection. Reboots still occur under GPU load but no POST splash screen, boots straight to Windows.
2) Replaced the Seasonic 660W PSU (a 3 year old unit) with a new Seasonic 650W unit. Both supplies are fully modular, so I left the existing peripheral cables in place and just swapped out the units. BF5 let me play for about an hour before the anti-surge protection kicked in.
3) Set my GPU back to stock clocks. Was able to play for another hour successfully with no reboots.

Obviously an hour is way too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. If the reboot occurs under stock clocks my next step was to re-seat, possibly replace, the PSU-peripheral cables.

Googling around leads me to think the 980Ti is on it's way out and it's time for an RMA (if possible) or likely a new GPU. Any thoughts?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Anti-Hero posted:

Does anyone have experience with 980Ti's going bad?

Scenario: EVGA 980Ti with a reasonably modest overclock (not at my desktop, but I think it's a +150 core and +200 mem, max power target and custom fan curve). i7-4790k (stock), Asus Maximus VII mobo, 16 GB RAM, Seasonic 660W PSU

Starting a month back the PC would randomly reboot when playing games. Never during desktop use, web browsing, or other low intensity tasks. During the reboot the POST screen would indicate the Asus anti-surge protection feature of the motherboard detected an out of tolerance voltage and shut the system down. At the time I'd been not playing PC games, and figured it was related to some other power issues I was having (chiefly my UPS battery was drained), so I addressed those and went back to playing my PS4. With the release of BF5 the issue has manifested again, and am more motivated to figure it out.

Steps I've taken:

1) Turned off the Asus anti-surge protection. Reboots still occur under GPU load but no POST splash screen, boots straight to Windows.
2) Replaced the Seasonic 660W PSU (a 3 year old unit) with a new Seasonic 650W unit. Both supplies are fully modular, so I left the existing peripheral cables in place and just swapped out the units. BF5 let me play for about an hour before the anti-surge protection kicked in.
3) Set my GPU back to stock clocks. Was able to play for another hour successfully with no reboots.

Obviously an hour is way too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. If the reboot occurs under stock clocks my next step was to re-seat, possibly replace, the PSU-peripheral cables.

Googling around leads me to think the 980Ti is on it's way out and it's time for an RMA (if possible) or likely a new GPU. Any thoughts?

Do you have another GPU you can swap in and see if the issues persists? Likewise can you try the GPU in a different pc? Perhaps the motherboard is crapping out and your GPU is a okay.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ZobarStyl posted:

If you live in a climate where you ever run heating, the power/heat arguments are a joke.

Vega 64 can pull 450 watts at load, and trust me, gaming in the summer with a 450 watt GPU is noticeable in temps in the room. Also means you need a beefier PSU, and especially with the reference blower, can get real loud. 56 decibel plus, way louder than the cheap 1070 Ti's on sale.

There are absolute downsides with a Vega 64 vs 1080/1070 Ti, but the big upside is Freesync support. Without Freesync, I would go with the 1080/1070 Ti personally at equal prices, even with the Vega 64 performing a little better.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Do you have another GPU you can swap in and see if the issues persists? Likewise can you try the GPU in a different pc? Perhaps the motherboard is crapping out and your GPU is a okay.

I have a GTX580 on the shelf, but it's dead. I think the motherboard has a dedicated onboard GPU that I can try if the issue persists.

I could take the 980Ti over to a friend's house, I'm sure. But no second PC at my house to try it with.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

orcane posted:

A lot of people, yes, but those buying RTX 2080 (Ti) on top of their expensive i7/i9 CPUs are probably not the ones running 1080p at 30 fps.

feeling attacked right now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well I used that eBay coupon to get a EVGA 1070ti SC with 2.5 years warranty left. I'm going to return my 1060 and I'll only be out of pocket about $40 more. Worth it to upgrade I think.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Thats a pretty large leap for $40 , good trade

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Similarly, I followed y'all's advice and got a 1070ti to replace my 970. Unfortunately I had terrible timing and got it before the ebay deal happened.

Haven't had the chance to actually test it yet, but seeing the benchmarks I think I'll still be happy overall. Should at least last until next gen Nvidia, or the one after as the case may be.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
gently caress I bought a vega fe air cooked for 415$ on eBay since I have a free sync monitor somehow and I hope I didn't get owned.

They are a screaming deal at that price esp with undervolting

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Hopefully little ncase can handle it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://slickdeals.net/f/12308479-sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-requires-ebay-app-340?src=frontpage is this what you guys are talking about

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It was initially, I hope thats what you got Malcom. Of course this applies to anything across the board so you can get virtually the best price on any GPU right now on ebay except for 2080tis since apparently they are still being scalped. But for instance you can get a Gigabyte 2080 nib for $650, new Gigabyte 1070ti for $320, and so on. The Sapphire Vega 64 seems to be the best $ per fps I've seen so far though

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

It was initially, I hope thats what you got Malcom. Of course this applies to anything across the board so you can get virtually the best price on any GPU right now on ebay except for 2080tis since apparently they are still being scalped. But for instance you can get a Gigabyte 2080 nib for $650, new Gigabyte 1070ti for $320, and so on. The Sapphire Vega 64 seems to be the best $ per fps I've seen so far though

i bought someones Vega Frontier Edition which I assume was used for mining or something

Vega 64 normal edition is also a screaming deal at $340 but i want that extra 8 jiggabytes HIGH BANDWIDTH MEMORY 2 for deep learning

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

assuming it isn't broken beyond belief anyone want to buy a 980ti founders edition EVGA with factory OC and backplate?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Malcolm XML posted:

i bought someones Vega Frontier Edition which I assume was used for mining or something

Vega 64 normal edition is also a screaming deal at $340 but i want that extra 8 jiggabytes HIGH BANDWIDTH MEMORY 2 for deep learning

Oh :3 I actually forgot about that card. I hope you give that shroud the love it deserves

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I overbought and got the FTW3 2080. With the eBay coupon and no tax, I got it for the same MSRP that the non-Ultra XC sells for @ $799.99. Normally I don't buy top-of-the-line SKUs, but this build is a bit splurgy.

My rationale is that it'll only be driving a UW 1440p, and the $400+ extra I *didn't* spend on a Ti could go towards the next-gen, when it comes out in probably 2030.

And it's not like I couldn't change my mind and ~Step Up~ to a Black Edition 2080Ti in three months' time for $200 more.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 22, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Vega 64 is a stellar deal for 340 and yes that is what we are talking about.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

wargames posted:

Vega 64 is a stellar deal for 340 and yes that is what we are talking about.

This is probably a stupid question, but I've been on Nvidia for so long that I want to make sure. Can I easily set this to output custom resolutions? I have a 4k monitor that I regularly set to an ultra widescreen resolution.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
“My PC is an aging monster and these CPUs are so cheap, and i have used a TV as a screen since 2012 and threw away my old Logitech 5.1 speakers and...

Wait, is that a Gsync monitor cheap?”

Hello, welcome to me. I’m the guy that told this thread that I only adopt new technologies when consoles adopt them and that 1440p was a “half-rear end resolution” and anything over 75hz is unnecessary, and now I have all of that for some reason.

On the plus side, this is more like an investment since my current hardware is going to poo poo itself trying to support this display. And I won’t have to worry about pixel density eye strain from staring at a 40” TV from twenty inches away, or dealing with the heat LCD fluorescent tubes create in the summer. There are legitimate benefits to this thing, even if it’s going to make me hate my aging rig.

I guess I was trapped between being the guy who upgrades his monitor and still needed to upgrade his system, or being the reverse. I know y’all won’t think much of a guy buying a TN panel at $350, but I’m pretty broke right now and hope someday to add a 4K/60 monitor for quality when I eventually change cards.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 22, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah man, holidays can be tough. If you get stressed out, you should take a walk.

Probably a good time to stop drinking. Have some water and go to bed.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

My wife does not like it when I call her "my aging rig"

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Papercut posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I've been on Nvidia for so long that I want to make sure. Can I easily set this to output custom resolutions? I have a 4k monitor that I regularly set to an ultra widescreen resolution.

from what i can tell yes the amd software does allow this fairly easily.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Cygni posted:

Vega 64 can pull 450 watts at load, and trust me, gaming in the summer with a 450 watt GPU is noticeable in temps in the room.
I have one and this is not true in any meaningful fashion. Even at full tilt I'm not even pulling a system load of 450. The fact that you get hung up on it enough to lie is weird.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have a GTX 1080ti and I watch my living room temp climb 5 degrees when I game during the summer

Pretending like this is an amd thing is silly. so maybe at worst amd runs 20% hotterr. Dear God not 6 degrees instead of 5

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Technically you can pump that much power into Vega to interesting results, but AFAIK stock Vega 64 has TDP of 225 W. Nitro+ LE and liquid cooled one are near 300W.

eames
May 9, 2009

If you're not hung up on those last 3 frames per second it always makes sense to powerlimit/undervolt todays cards, no matter if Nvidia or Vega.

I don't have first-hand experience with Vega but my Pascal card with a bit of manual tweaking delivers 95% of the performance at 65% of the power consumption versus its stock "factory OC" setting.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

If you're not hung up on those last 3 frames per second it always makes sense to powerlimit/undervolt todays cards, no matter if Nvidia or Vega.

I don't have first-hand experience with Vega but my Pascal card with a bit of manual tweaking delivers 95% of the performance at 65% of the power consumption versus its stock "factory OC" setting.

You can also do the opposite and add 50% to the Vega's power target and make it reach 400 W on its own, for 5-10% more performance. Totally worth it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cygni posted:

Vega 64 can pull 450 watts at load, and trust me, gaming in the summer with a 450 watt GPU is noticeable in temps in the room. Also means you need a beefier PSU, and especially with the reference blower, can get real loud. 56 decibel plus, way louder than the cheap 1070 Ti's on sale.

There are absolute downsides with a Vega 64 vs 1080/1070 Ti, but the big upside is Freesync support. Without Freesync, I would go with the 1080/1070 Ti personally at equal prices, even with the Vega 64 performing a little better.

I have a red devil vega 56 and switched over to the "silent bios" and its fanless in most game, and i am hitting a cpu limit in AC: odessy not a gpu which sits around 70% usage. Need to figure out how to test wattage though