Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

They really don't want negative comments about this so called conservative get up! guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Raf Epstein just gave me the best laugh driving home by interviewing the most motley cast if independent cretins contesting the election. Maintained his effervescent style throughout.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We’ve been proudly publishing quality journalism with a focus on stories that affect Queenslanders for more than a decade, providing a unique, fresh and trusted source of news for the state.

As we continue to provide uncompromising, independent journalism, we are constantly investing in the ever-changing media environment.

That’s why we have decided to introduce a digital subscription model for the Brisbane Times website.

Everyone is still able to visit our website for free. Our homepage will not change, and you can view it as often as you like. You can also read a limited number of articles every month without charge. After that, we will be asking you to subscribe.

If you’d like to stay informed every day with news you can trust, you can subscribe now for only $1.75 a week - that’s less than half the price of a cup of coffee in the Brisbane CBD.

We appreciate and value your support to help us do what we do best, providing in-depth, trusted reporting on issues crucial to people living in south-east Queensland and the state.

You fuckers. The Brisbane Times was made in partnership with the Beattie Government as a free alternative to the Courier Mail and now that you're merging with Nine you paywall the fucker.

You want 168 dollars a year. For a digital paper with only 15 staff when the Courier Mail has hundreds of staff and charges 200.

The Saturday Paper only charges 99 for digital access.

Fairfax is managed by muppets.

Bloody hell Queensland is not strong.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Wondering whether the idiot Australian conservatives parroting Republican talking heads while trying to launch this conservative getup group realise that "George Soros" is just a code word for "(((The Jews)))"
See also: "Globalists"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Wondering whether the idiot Australian conservatives parroting Republican talking heads while trying to launch this conservative getup group realise that "George Soros" is just a code word for "(((The Jews)))"
See also: "Globalists"

Better question: will the Jewish (Likudnik) business types who fund a bunch of conservative causes in Australia and who are largely funding the LNP right now for a move to Jerusalem be aware that "George Soros" is just a code word for "(((the Jews)))"?

I mean, I know Netanyahu's son is basically a nazi which is loving hilarious in an of itself.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
Phwoah

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1065141014443085825?s=21

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

The Saturday Paper only charges 99 for digital access.

I had a digital sub to TSP, but I found I wasn’t reading it as often as I used to with the physical newspaper. Turns out I really liked the ritual of sitting down with TSP and a flat white.

For Christmas, I wanna buy you a six month digital TSP sub, Anidav. PM me your deets and we’ll kick this poo poo off.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Schlesische posted:

Better question: will the Jewish (Likudnik) business types who fund a bunch of conservative causes in Australia and who are largely funding the LNP right now for a move to Jerusalem be aware that "George Soros" is just a code word for "(((the Jews)))"?

I mean, I know Netanyahu's son is basically a nazi which is loving hilarious in an of itself.

It cool that apparently The Jews cause all of our problems meanwhile billionaire tech ceos allow open nazism and sometimes even fund it.

Probably a coincidence.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

All I want is good local news

The Courier Mail has bias issues

The Brisbane Times ports too many stories over from The Age and SMH and 8s now in a paywall for no reason besides appealing to Nine Shareholders when it was originally a Queensland Government initiative.

ABC has budget cuts.

I feel like TSP is very national or Victorian based?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Halve your life savings green/lib and prepare for a quick 60%

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Yessssssss, come to the Dark Side Victoria

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JBP posted:

Why is it endangered, does it taste good?

One way to find out JBP. Report back when you're done.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

All I want is good local news

I feel like TSP is very national or Victorian based?

There's a pretty clear solution emerging here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kill all boomers.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

this is the saddest anidav post

they have finally broken him

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Kill all boomers.

That's not what I meant, but damned if I'm not with you all the way to the Sunrise news desk.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like my local news God drat it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

Kill all boomers.

:hmmyes:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Kill all boomers.

I almost got killed by a boomer tonight, he was driving on the wrong side of the road in his new Mustang convertible in a hurry because there was a traffic jam of only three cars in front of him. Of course he had a personalised number plate - Barry. Fucker.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Kill all boomers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm legit upset tho

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Outgoing Greens MLC Dawn Walker's final speech to parliament was interrupted by protesters, as she defended her colleague Jeremy Buckingham against calls within the party for him to resign.
As she delivered her valedictory speech on Wednesday night, Ms Walker said Mr Buckingham had been "attacked and bullied" by a "small and effective cabal" within the Greens over a number of years.

"He has withstood them, but there has been a cost. A personal cost for him and a cost for the Green movement," Ms Walker said.
Ms Walker also took aim at fellow MP Jenny Leong, who used parliamentary privilege last week to call on Mr Buckingham to resign after she detailed allegations of "sexual violence" by him against a former party employee.

Ms Walker accused Ms Leong of damaging trust within the party "perhaps irrevocably".

As she was speaking, protesters in the public gallery interrupted proceedings with chants of "yes means yes, no means no, Buckingham has got to go."

Ms Walker also used her exit speech to accuse a factional force within the Greens, known as "left renewal", of bullying and harassment.

"Left renewal - an anarchist faction in the NSW Greens became public in late 2016 - when it formed to overthrow capitalism and undermine my preselection for good measure. They harassed me, bullied me, slandered me and threatened me," Ms Walker said.

She said the harassment had prompted her to seek legal advice on launching defamation proceedings, and was advised she had a "strong" case but ultimately decided against it.
Ms Walker was scathing in her assessment of the NSW Greens organisation saying it "clearly needs to do some serious soul searching".

Ms Leong's speech last week split the Greens NSW party room, with fellow MPs David Shoebridge and Jamie Parker supporting her, while Ms Walker, Justin Field and Cate Faehrmann warned it was a "political weapon".
Her speech addressed the complaint lodged by former Greens employee Ella Buckland with the party in April about an alleged incident involving Mr Buckingham that occurred in 2011.

An internal investigation by WorkDynamic was launched after Ms Buckland's complaint, but she said she was excluded from the investigation and her witnesses were not interviewed until she pushed for that to happen.
The report found there was insufficient evidence "that a reasonable person could conclude, on the balance of probabilities, that an incident/incidents of sexual harassment as defined by the legislation has occurred".

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It cool that apparently The Jews cause all of our problems meanwhile billionaire tech ceos allow open nazism and sometimes even fund it.

Probably a coincidence.

Mark Zuckerberg will fight the tech ceo nazis in space ships around mars.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1065141745518661633

Speers is too good for Sky.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Like I dunno how you guys get your local news but here in Queensland, Brisbane is a one paper city. We don't get a choice really. It's basically a closed shop for reporting. So Peter Beattie got into power and noticed how pro LNP the media was and got Fairfax to launch a nice laid back and easy going online paper.

It was awesome at first then Fairfax started cutting jobs ect. But despite this the Brisbane Times was still free. One of the few sites I disabled my ad blocker for to support.

The idea was that Fairfax papers would subsidie the free Brisbane digital platform to keep the Courier Mail in check and it worked out fine. In fact according to Roy Morgan Fairfax papers showed much higher digital growth than Newscorp ones. Now for big rear end journalist squads like The Age, SMH or AFR I can understand a subscription but the Brisbane Times was and still is a 15 employee experiment. It's a very small shop in comparison and to ask for a subscription is quite frankly madness.

And I would consider 169 dollars a year too expensive for local news. Especially given that it might go to Channel 9 and get killed within 2 years.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ranter posted:

Mark Zuckerberg will fight along side the tech ceo nazis in space ships around mars.

You forget a word or two.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Anidav posted:

They really don't want negative comments about this so called conservative get up! guys.

They declined my comment that it’s not really independent if everyone involved is related to members of the Liberal party.

It’s almost as if they want some sort of echo chamber...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
eternal screaming

Guardian Au posted:

Commonwealth Bank’s board was so dissatisfied with the performance of its former chairman David Turner that it asked him to return 40% of his annual fees. However Turner refused and the board moved on, and the incident was kept secret from shareholders.

The banking royal commission has also heard that the minutes of CBA’s board meetings do not necessarily record everything discussed by board members “verbatim”. Questions were raised regarding significant matters that were not recorded on the minutes.

CBA’s current chair, Catherine Livingstone, also conceded that since 2011, senior executives have only had their short-term remuneration reduced for a “risk-related issue” if the issue became public.

She defended the decision to appoint Matt Comyn to replace Ian Narev as CBA’s chief executive, saying even though Comyn had been the head of CBA’s retail banking arm when it mis-sold consumer credit insurance, “to find an external person globally at that level who has not been involved in some regulatory event is almost impossible”.

On Wednesday the banking royal commission turned its attention to the remuneration framework employed by Australia’s major banks.

Livingstone, who became CBA chair in 2017, told the commission that following a highly critical report from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (Apra), which identified serious shortcomings at CBA and pointed to serious problems with CBA’s board, the board asked its former chair Turner to return 40% of his annual fees from his last year.

But Turner refused, she said, saying he didn’t agree with Apra’s assessment of the board’s performance. She also conceded that CBA did not tell shareholders about the incident in its final year financial report.

Senior counsel assisting the royal commission, Rowena Orr QC, asked whether the request should have been published.

Livingstone replied: “Well, I suppose I didn’t consider at the time including it, and maybe I should have.”

Orr said: “Well, could I ask you to consider now whether that’s a message that you think should be sent publicly, that you made a decision as a board to request the former chair to return 40% of his fees?”

Livingstone replied: “In – in retrospect, yes, perhaps we should have made that public.”

Livingstone told Orr that she knew she was putting her professional reputation at risk by joining CBA’s board, given the myriad scandals engulfing the bank in recent years, but she was determined to change the board’s culture.

Even so, she conceded since 2011, senior CBA executives had only had their short-term remuneration reduced for a “risk-related issue” if the issue has become public.

Orr asked Livingstone: “What message do you think it sends?

Livingstone replied: “Well, clearly, that there will only be consequence if there is a public event, a media event.”

Livingstone told Orr that the minutes of CBA’s board meetings do not necessarily record everything that is discussed by board members.

Orr asked: “Do you understand that a failure to comply with the requirements in relation to the keeping of minutes under section 251A of the Corporations Act is an offence?”

Livingstone said: “I am.”

The commission also heard from Brian Hartzer, Westpac’s chief executive, who discussed the millions Westpac has had to put aside to repay customers who were charged fees for services that were never provided.

At one stage, Hartzer had a tense exchange with senior counsel assisting the royal commission, Michael Hodge QC, about commissions paid to car dealers to encourage sales.

Hartzer was asked whether he thought car dealers affiliated with Westpac would sell insurance products to those who could not afford them out of a desire to collect the commission or from misguided altruistic motives.

Hartzer replied: “I couldn’t say. I’m not a car dealer.”

He had another go at answering the question, after Hodge accused him of being flippant.

“Sorry, we absolutely have an obligation to think about the controls that need to be in place for car dealers in this position, given that they are representing us in providing that finance, and we’ve made a number of improvements to those controls since that time to address that issue,” Hartzer said.

I started bolding but just loving bold it all, jesus gently caress.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

“to find an external person globally at that level who has not been involved in some regulatory event is almost impossible”

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Good to see the politicians themselves stepping into the Clarke and Dawe void.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm handsome

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Nationalise all banks. Why do we let these fuckers exist, they clearly can not be trust to run themselves.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/timwattsmp/status/1065110805127917568?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Like I dunno how you guys get your local news but here in Queensland, Brisbane is a one paper city. We don't get a choice really. It's basically a closed shop for reporting. So Peter Beattie got into power and noticed how pro LNP the media was and got Fairfax to launch a nice laid back and easy going online paper.

It was awesome at first then Fairfax started cutting jobs ect. But despite this the Brisbane Times was still free. One of the few sites I disabled my ad blocker for to support.

The idea was that Fairfax papers would subsidie the free Brisbane digital platform to keep the Courier Mail in check and it worked out fine. In fact according to Roy Morgan Fairfax papers showed much higher digital growth than Newscorp ones. Now for big rear end journalist squads like The Age, SMH or AFR I can understand a subscription but the Brisbane Times was and still is a 15 employee experiment. It's a very small shop in comparison and to ask for a subscription is quite frankly madness.

And I would consider 169 dollars a year too expensive for local news. Especially given that it might go to Channel 9 and get killed within 2 years.

Bring back MX

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:emptyquote:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

In Adelaide we basically just resort to word of mouth and r/reddit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is like Clarke and Dawe but loving unwatchable and too long. Surely you could replay this and win every vote for anyone but the liberals

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not that it matters much but it sounds like Andrews just obliterated Guy on Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Not that it matters much but it sounds like Andrews just obliterated Guy on Sky.

Bolt thinks Guy isn't right wing enough?