Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Beet's video demonstrates how their talk about the game being a no loading screen universe is a lie.
It's just bad smoke and mirrors on top of broken mirrors and cigarette stains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry to burst your bubble goontiflas, but uhh..Star Citizen...is gud.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Blue On Blue posted:

How long has CIG been using the Tier 0 parlance, a month?

I noted the term in the Recap Thread on Jun 26, 2018 because it was all over reddit following the addition of mining.

Virtual Captain posted:

'tier zero implementation' is a new term that has been gaining traction since whenever they do add something, it either sucks or is very buggy (see mining)
The commando recognizes that this is very different from what they've spent years imagining, so far off in fact that instead of recognizing it as a first pass, they opt to label it as an unfinished first attempt. This leaves their dreams of the future intact since everything will be perfect and fidelitous in the 20th implementation (Star Citizen has unlimited time you understand). For more critical citizens; it allows them to verbalize what they don't like about <insert feature> without implying that Star Citizen itself is bad, which it is.

The term was probably coined on one of their youtube videos since they started pointing the camera at devs more; who have had to invent creative ways of explaining delays, broken builds, and lack of meaningful progress.

However if you search "tier zero" on SCQA.info, you will see that Chris used the term on September 29, 2016. But was talking about something completely different (face detail levels)

I'm guessing its a term employees picked up from Chris and it proved useful for handwaving issues.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

The Titanic posted:

:same:

Beats an eel goon. But it'd be eels probably because they're slipperier.

What about a greased ferret?

Asking for a friend.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

:siren:BREAKING STANDBY BREAKING:siren:

Having fixed all the bugs since the video Beet made literally this morning, CIG has just kicked 3.3.5 out to the live servers right before loving off for Thanksgiving! Next stop: the public "Free Fly" weekend that will see literally dozens of new players coming in to try the game.

Now that's how you do game development.

In fact they did it with SUCH care and deliberation, that they loving forgot to remove the PTU specific messages in the patch notes:

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 21, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens please queue up for your third victory lap of the month- every release is a victory, no matter how broken, bugged, and shamefully on public display it may be.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm loving the fact that Star Citizen has no planets and is 41 gigs and people think 100 completely fleshed out systems with full planets and moons everywhere won't be near 250+ gigs of HDD space by the time Star Citizen releases which is never

By the time it releases,
my pledge reward of a

quote:

Spaceship-shaped USB Drive
will end up being one of these, Kingston Digital 1TB DataTraveler Ultimate

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmmm

Do I download 46 gigs of poo poo onto my hard drives or do I:

Play Valkyria Chronicles 4
Play Battlefield 5
Play Hitman 2
Play Warframe
Play Il-2 Sturmovik
Play Yakuza 0
Play Soul Calibur 6
Play The Witcher 3

or should I:

Work on an LP
Work on an LP
Work on a future LP
Write boring WW2 Blog poo poo

STAR CITIZEN IT IS! :downs:

Funny you mention that.
I'm on a mission to finish off my games library.

So far,
finished Far Cry Primal.
finished Far Cry 5
and just finished off Mafia 3.

Currently playing Jurassic World: Evoloution campaign.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9z0enk/335_is_live/?st=joqryuby&sh=29889e17

Citizens cheering already

Who gives a poo poo about bugs? This is the new Trumpian dev model. Drop a turd, declare victory, move to the next patch. Never look back, never clean anything up, never apologize. Forward momentum!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teh_Broseph posted:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble goontiflas, but uhh..Star Citizen...is gud.

My life is a lie!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lladre posted:

Beet's video demonstrates how their talk about the game being a no loading screen universe is a lie.
It's just bad smoke and mirrors on top of broken mirrors and cigarette stains.

Then they point to ED saying it has loading screens when going down to a planet, when it has been shown time and again, you can fly down to a planet without the drop from SC/glide business, it just takes a loooong time. The "loading screens" are there to manage the networking instances. Yeah, ED has instances, but that means they never had to spend millions on getting a shared netcode without instances and not having to run lots of expensive servers and fat pipes, only then have to implement things like server meshing so that you are in the same instance as someone you can't even see.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9z0enk/335_is_live/?st=joqryuby&sh=29889e17

Who gives a poo poo about bugs? This is the new Trumpian dev model. Drop a turd, declare victory, move to the next patch. Never look back, never clean anything up, never apologize. Forward momentum!

They have to cheer because they're afraid of what would fill the silence if they weren't cheering.

It's like if seven years ago some idiot said he was going to build the fastest car ever and now they're all standing round whooping with delight because they've managed to finally put wheels onto a chassis.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Quavers $207,424,242
Fashionable Jorts $214,000,000
Breetai $214,200,000
Hobold $208.500,042
Agony Aunt 205 million
Beet Wagon Gonna say $207,538,420 and also I'll get the winner an avatar of their choice
Sarsapariller I say 1.5 million tops. So call it 201,700,000 to account for a couple more days of sales before the big thing starts.
Deadguy2322 $206,000,000
Trilobite So I'll just guess that they'll set the tracker to read $204.5m by the end of the sale.
Dogeh $204,242,420
Jobbo_Fett 206543210
Baxta 208.740.220,00
Combat Theory $209,424,242
nawledgelambo $202,690,888
his nibs $203,235,000
Kosumo $203,165,702 and new Porche lease's for Chris and Sandi.
tuo 205,020,327.78 Dollarinos
Sandepande 200 900 000 USD
AutismVaccine 205 555 555 Citizendollars
Dark Off $204,295,455
Daztek $207,420,069
Colostomy Bag 207,102,505
Hazamuth $207,400,500
Bofast $219,873,546, if you please
Sandweed 207,102,506
trucutru 207,424,242 --> you are 207,424,242(1)
PhallicPhalanges $207,242,042
Thoatse $204.206.924.70
RabbitWizard 203,456,789
Fidelitious $206,545,111.66
Liquid Dinosaur 213,500,000
monkeytek 203,250,000.00

Current Prizepool
I should be giving out several humble monthlies to all winners. Cause God bless RNG!
+ Avatar Change from Beet

You guys have until Thanksgiving to post your guesses.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

no_recall posted:

Current Prizepool
I should be giving out several humble monthlies to all winners. Cause God bless RNG!
+ Avatar Change from Beet

You guys have until Thanksgiving to post your guesses.

Really hoping I over shot this time. Kinda sad that all my 'they wont hit this much' guesses, have been blown away.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

How long has CIG been using the Tier 0 parlance, a month?

And backers have already started parroting it as the next big talking point

Before that was pipelines, and before that ?

Simply incredible how easy these people are to influence

It was first seen with the tier-0 golf-swing mechanics and debuted in-game with tier-0 mining.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

no_recall posted:

Since Thanksgiving is coming up, the Anniversary !Raffle is On!

Guess the exact amount (in millions) that CIG fudtracker will end up with after the Anniversary Sale!

(i,.e $210,000,000)

Quote the poo poo out of this to join.

poo poo

$201,435,256

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

PSA: Don't read Star Citizen related comments outside this subreddit. They will hurt your brain.

quote:

I did a little Google News search the other day: "Star Citizen"

The results were disappointing. All articles - and I mean ALL- were about the amount of money SC gets. Nothing about the features. Not even a single: "Hey I playtested and this is my opinion". Not ONE.

Based on that, I highly doubt there is any sort of "discussion" to be had anywhere else but here. People do not know and what they read on SC articles is about money, money and more money.

So its not a matter of being open to discussion, since there is no way to have a discussion with a crowd of people who are misinformed and unwilling to accept anything but what they are fed. There is open discussion with arguments and (re)search on the topic and there is unsubstantiated, outdated and unhealthy argumentation with an inappropriate dose of "nahnahnahcanthearyou" from those who have no clue.

The only way to make an actual discussion out there will be after 3.6, I think. By then SC will feel like a game in more aspects than one, enough to make non-backers get intrigued genuinely. But until then there is no reason to pursue a discussion outside of here.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

So OCS, bind culling and whatever else they blamed the terrible performance on is fixed. The game runs smooth as butter now right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Necros posted:

So OCS, bind culling and whatever else they blamed the terrible performance on is fixed. The game runs smooth as butter now right?

Yes, that's why they moved the spawnpoint back to Port Olisar from Lorville, because Lorville isn't a laggy piece of poo poo, you see, not at all. No sir.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

The travel time between Port Olisar and Lorville is 10-15 minutes, depending on the ship. I'm sure all the newbies checking out the Free Fly will absolutely love that.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Daztek posted:

Yes, that's why they moved the spawnpoint back to Port Olisar from Lorville, because Lorville isn't a laggy piece of poo poo, you see, not at all. No sir.

tier zero spawnpoint

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
3.3.5 is Live!! :bravo:

Well done to C.I.G

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/QPsTld0.gifv

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iron buns posted:

The travel time between Port Olisar and Lorville is 10-15 minutes, depending on the ship. I'm sure all the newbies checking out the Free Fly will absolutely love that.

Jeebus. In ED my home station is 7000LS from the star, which is kind of long and takes a few minutes (about 3-4) to reach. Its the sort of travel time that gets some ED players annoyed. Would love to see their reactions dealing with a 10-15 minute flight.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peter.Quint posted:

They have to cheer because they're afraid of what would fill the silence if they weren't cheering.

It's like if seven years ago some idiot said he was going to build the fastest car ever and now they're all standing round whooping with delight because they've managed to finally put wheels onto a chassis.

The wheels are only Tier 0 though.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If its really so bad, this is going to be a fun free fly weekend, espcially if the servers start getting hammered with an influx of players.

This whole free fly idea might backfire spectacurlarly.

I suspect there will be an uptick of screams of "ITS ALPHA" when the unwashed masses start asking in the SC sub why its so bad.

A week later, when things settle down, they can go back to proclaiming its the best game ever, already better than any other AAA game out there.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9z0enk/335_is_live/

lol

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

Jeebus. In ED my home station is 7000LS from the star, which is kind of long and takes a few minutes (about 3-4) to reach. Its the sort of travel time that gets some ED players annoyed. Would love to see their reactions dealing with a 10-15 minute flight.

Our supercruise was supposed to be like the original trailer. We THE PLAYERS demanded reality, and FD delivered. Same goes for the loving timer for ship transfers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no_recall posted:

Our supercruise was supposed to be like the original trailer. We THE PLAYERS demanded reality, and FD delivered. Same goes for the loving timer for ship transfers.

So FD do listen to the players!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: literally nothing to do apart from flying around.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I love the "Uhhhh obviously your computer is a piece of poo poo, that's the only way Star Citizen could look that bad" arguments lol

IANA network engineer but why would you need to gently caress around with TCP ports for a game that is server based and not supposed to be peer to peer session based?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

So FD do listen to the players!

They listen too well, and we the non fidelitous, non immersive plebscrubs are grieved.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

IANA network engineer but why would you need to gently caress around with TCP ports for a game that is server based and not supposed to be peer to peer session based?

gently caress you for not understanding what UPNP isn't.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Sarsapariller posted:

Sure.

1- This is your ship shield and damage indicator. It is displayed on a monitor in your cockpit. If you have time in battle you can hit F, mouse over it, and hit those little pie chart slices to direct shield power to different parts. I don't know if that works, it probably doesn't. The damage part flashes to show which parts of your ship are hit, or still exist. Note that my cockpit has not been damaged- it literally always looks like the front has fallen off. The two little graphs EM and IR on the side are supposed to indicate your ship's current heat and electromagnetic signatures. I guess higher is worse, because targeting? But there's no way to lower or manage them, and missiles don't work anyway, so gently caress it.

2- This is the same information as 1, but it is displayed on the inside of your helmet. There is no way to turn off this second display. It makes both 1 and 2 completely unreadable in combat.

3- None of these actually do anything. The first one is showing weapons, I think, but none of that information matters. I think you can turn them "Off" but why the gently caress would you ever do that. The second is the "Comms" display which may, some day, actually show people's faces. Right now it just constantly lights up like people are calling you but nothing ever displays and you don't hear anything. The third panel up here is another pointless set of graphs about thermal and heat signatures.

4/5- Similar to 1/2, except this time the display is for the enemy ship. The only useful part of this is the shield facing strength, which is displayed in a 3d format so it's basically impossible to loving read even if there weren't two of the same displays cluttering each other up. The graphs are for the enemy heat/electromagnetic signatures, which are useless.

6- This is your power distribution settings, and also 3 more graphs for your heat and electro signatures. Those things must be real goddamn important because they are on literally every display on the loving screen. Anyway the power triangle lets you distribute ship power to your various systems. I've tried it, it moves around but as far as I can tell doesn't do anything. The guns still overheat at the same speed, the shields still drop just as fast. I don't know. The usage/required poo poo at the top seems to be some kind of "Power output" management system, and you can slide those gauges around, but they also do nothing that I can determine.

7- Here's another visual indicator of your shields along with a bunch more useless garbage sliders that don't do anything.

8- Here's where the game constantly, constantly spams you with tooltips. Right now I'm fighting for my life and it is pretty sure I want to travel somewhere so it's going to put up a bunch of messages about quantum drives.

9- Back here, obscured by the helpful messages, is the loving ship's radar. The one useful item in this whole cavalcade of horseshit and it is the size of a postage stamp, and obscured by the tooltips. FIRE YOUR loving UI TEAM. Also you may note that the enemy ship I'm currently 10 feet away from, is not showing up on the radar. Guess they're pretty good at managing those power settings!

I am in awe of your perseverance.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

no_recall posted:

gently caress you for not understanding what UPNP isn't.

I was going to say, "Thats the secret, CIG is always lying.", but I don't know poo poo about networking either.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRiUqnHML9Q

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

monkeytek posted:

Or,

You could buy a Hayabusa for ~ $25,000 have exciting real life experiences like having a hot chick wanting to sit on said real life motorcycle while still having $25,000 in the bank for awesome vacations with previously mentioned hot female.

But, nope buy the prop and dream those dreams fellow Citizens!
Sometimes I get used to the rediculous amounts in SC, and it's good to be reminded what those figures can buy you in the real world.
That prop sure won't lower the Inner Circle's Mediterranean vacation budget.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

For better or for worst that is what gaming media reviews and critics are there for. A check and balance of sorts... for released games. "Not releasing" (but being able to charge and get revenue for it) is therefore the new black as it allows the developer to fully control the narrative unimpeded.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The virtual hell CR was building behind the scenes uncovered!