Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sarsapariller posted:

Alright, just for fun here's an old school write up. The server was back to being a loving headache today, crashes and hangs galore, so lots more frustration.

My self-imposed mission for the day: Do any one space combat mission successfully.

First attempt- Woke up in the wank pod, ran downstairs and spawned a constellation. Took a mission to go get a black box from a wrecked caterpillar. The missions seem to randomly generate from a set of about a dozen different scenarios and there's no guarantee that you'll get the same one if anything goes wrong. There's also no guarantee that you won't get assigned the same mission as someone else and end up shooting them over the black box that you both need. I kind of like that. If it weren't for the extremely low payouts (600 uec), that would be an awesome scenario. Anyway I took off and then the game crashed. When I logged back in I was in the wank pod again. With the NEW AND IMPROVED insurance timers, I'd only have to wait FOUR minutes to recover the ship that was lost due to no error on my part. But I didn't want to wait so I spawned my Gladius, even though I knew it had no cargo area to hold the black box. Took off, game crashed again.

Second attempt- Spawned a constellation since it had been 4+ minutes since the last time. Couldn't find the black box thing again so I took a new mission- go to beacon and defend ship. I fly my ship out there, there is of course no sign of anything until I get within 3km of the beacon, then a Starfarer (friendly) spawns that fills half my loving screen. Three enemy gladiuses spawned, and then a goddamn constellation. For a 1000 credit mission. Even in my own constellation I was hard pressed to finish it, and lost about half my ship. There is no payout for killing enemies, I should note- only for finishing the mission. The enemies were extremely glitched. Every time they took damage they'd come to a complete halt, but continue firing. So you'd get on a guy's tail and shoot him only to overshoot instantly as he just lost all momentum. When they died, they were no longer targetable but they didn't disappear from my radar or HUD. If I flew to one of the enemy icons I could see that it was now fixed on a random piece of the enemy ship. Eventually I got stuck just plowing shot after shot into the constellation which would. not. die. Then I got disconnected.

shooting enemy constellation

Third attempt: My constellation was lost in space due to the disconnect, again, which meant I had to reclaim again. Note that reclaiming is currently free. If it wasn't, I literally would not be able to play the game because my meager credits would be completely drained due to losing my ship on every single crash and disconnect. I am really glad that I only do this to myself once per year, because I'm already completely loving sick of spawning in the wank pod, spawning a ship, running through the airlocks etc. It is like groundhog day except instead of emotional fulfillment and enlightenment at the end of your reincarnation journey all you get is loving rage. Anyway I tabbed out to type this while performing one of the six unskippable cutscenes that have to play out every single time you go through this dance. I take the Gladius out to another emergency beacon. This time only a single enemy Gladius spawns so maybe it's done based off the weight of your ship? Kind of sucks though, if every time you take a 1000 cred mission you are going to face something that stands a good chance of killing you, even in super heavy gunships. I start to fight him, but he rams me, as seems to be standard protocol now. I bounce off the friendly Starfarer at 600 miles per hour and explode, dead instantly.

Fourth attempt: Well that's the gladius back on insurance timer. Wake up, wank pod, spawn constellation, unskippable cutscenes, etc. I take the Constellation out. Luckily little timmy starfarer keeps falling down the well, and this emergency beacon seems pretty drat consistent. I fly back out again. Sure enough it pops 4 enemies on me, so I guess it's based on the weight of your ship. This time none of them will die, though. My missiles are useless. Did I mention that? Missiles don't work in the PU, ever, so about 3/4ths of the armament on the constellation is out of action right from the start. I die, shot to pieces by the 4 spaceships. No 1000 credits for me.

Fifth attempt: Wake up, wank pod, spawn Gladius, unskippable cutscenes. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I go after the beacon again. Same old starfarer, single gladius spawns. I engage in glorious combat and actually win this time. I think I see what the problem is with the ramming, finally. Your guns are fixed-forward and you have a range of approximately 500m, at best, because this is world war 2 in space. But you are traveling at 250m/s, and your opponent who is also trying to shoot you is traveling towards you at 250 m/s. So you likely have about .1 seconds to fire before you literally just smack each other. The solution would be to engage in some kind of noclip strafing duel, but the AI opponents insist on flying directly towards you at all times, and there is no such thing as flying in reverse in Star Citizen unlike, for example, Elite. So you can, at best, fly solidly to the left while they just rush right in, and try to dodge them at the last second before they ram you. Anyway my opponent just kind of randomly explodes, I'm not sure why. He leaves half his parts and a target marker, again. I think that must be it, sweet victory must be mine! Then three more enemies spawn. Another gladius and two more auroras. loving SERIOUSLY? You don't just have to kill your own weight in ships for 1000 credits, you have to kill multiple times over? So I spend the next 60+ seconds plowing shots into the stationary Aurora which just won't loving die, for some goddamn reason, it is like it isn't even taking damage. If you're going to do WW2 in space the guns need to actually DO something, Chris. Then my Gladius just kind of explodes. I don't know why, I had full health and shields. I guess the enemy missiles work? Good for them, they get fully functioning ships.

A dead enemy, still targetable.

Anyway that has tapped out my rage-o-meter for the time being. Five attempts, five full ships lost, probably 10+ enemies killed in total, and I could not complete a single entry level, 1000 credit mission. Absolute dogshit.

proof the game isn't pay to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ghostlight posted:

proof the game isn't pay to win

I think Chrim Rambo said as much, at one point. There is no "Winning" in Star Citizen so it can't be P2W, quid pro quo ipsum ergo sum!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

this is why I don't get how people can say with a straight face they they spend "hours" playing SC every week. Like even ostensibly Pro SC streamers have the exact same issues while playing. The only stable thing seems to be standing around and not doing much.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SoftNum posted:

this is why I don't get how people can say with a straight face they they spend "hours" playing SC every week. Like even ostensibly Pro SC streamers have the exact same issues while playing. The only stable thing seems to be standing around and not doing much.

Most of the hardcore enthusiasts are constantly trying to organize gameplay. Get people together to crew a ship, or have a race, or fight over control of a ship or something. Functionally, much like grouping in MMO's since time immemorial, it actually amounts to standing around while you wait for everyone to get their poo poo together in you discord channel or whatever. The difference is that in those other MMO's when everyone got together you'd actually go and do the dungeon and maybe get a reward. In Star Citizen, you get everyone together, then the server drops you or your ship just loving explodes and you all get sent back to your wankpods. Then you begin trying to get everyone together again. This is made twice as hard because the in-game chat is broken, in 3.3, and you can't actually see player names. So you have to do all your organizing in a third party app.

I think there are some people for whom actual challenge is kind of stressful and unpleasant, so they are perfectly content to sit around on their thousand dollar chariot, just almost being ready to go out and accomplish something. Thus, Star Citizen.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

kw0134 posted:

It seriously reminds me of my raid UI from the early days of WoW as a healer. A billion little windows. A mishmash of design, fitting since it was the cobbled together work of a dozen addons. The usable window was a tiny faction of the screen. At the least all the elements had useful information.

Yeah it was cluttered absurdity but I loved having like bar and line graph real time healing trackers going all the time along with like a dozen other flashing boxes

Made me feel like I was doing something genuinely sophisticated

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Citcon posted:

quote:

What's most annoying about the War Bond money issue is that most people have forgotten that War Bonds initially were not a product of CIG needing money, it was a product of people complaining that CIG was making way too much money far too quickly during the first 2 or 3 years.

Those of us who have been around a long time remember that game media sites such as Polygon and the like, as well as losers who shall remain nameless were the ones who poisoned the funding well years back. Many of us asked for CIG to dismiss their BS and continue on with the marketing program they had in place at that time, but they caved to the pressure and pulled back on the rate at which they were making money. Later came the rumors that CIG were needing money, drama followed, White Knights attempted their usual damage control, and then low and behold not only did CIG start selling Military hardware under "Militia" agreements, but War Bonds dropped in, and later CIG started pimping out LTI for cash.

If CIG had dismissed the, "You're making too much money too fast!" bullshit back in the early years, we likely wouldn't have Militia agreements, War Bonds, and LTI for cash sales, nor would we need them. We also would have hit $200 Million a year ago.

Change My Mind.

If you really think about it, it's our fault. That is to say, it is your fault.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Oh my god could it be ? The guy that called me a hater read some of the letters, and is now asking me to elaborate and is actually listening. And we're having an adult conversation of exchanging information and viewpoints. :psypop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you, a normal brian: under capitalism the express purpose of markets is to raise as much capital as possible without end

me, a star brian: if news outlets hadn't been mean to cig then they wouldn't be asking for more money

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Frog Act posted:

might be the worst UI i've ever seen

who needs to see the game anyway?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

big nipples big life posted:

who needs to see the game anyway?

Backers

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Wait this is one of those double negative moments where two wrongs make a right of way, right?

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Sarsapariller posted:

Alright, just for fun here's an old school write up. The server was back to being a loving headache today, crashes and hangs galore, so lots more frustration.

My self-imposed mission for the day: Do any one space combat mission successfully.

First attempt- Woke up in the wank pod, ran downstairs and spawned a constellation. Took a mission to go get a black box from a wrecked caterpillar. The missions seem to randomly generate from a set of about a dozen different scenarios and there's no guarantee that you'll get the same one if anything goes wrong. There's also no guarantee that you won't get assigned the same mission as someone else and end up shooting them over the black box that you both need. I kind of like that. If it weren't for the extremely low payouts (600 uec), that would be an awesome scenario. Anyway I took off and then the game crashed. When I logged back in I was in the wank pod again. With the NEW AND IMPROVED insurance timers, I'd only have to wait FOUR minutes to recover the ship that was lost due to no error on my part. But I didn't want to wait so I spawned my Gladius, even though I knew it had no cargo area to hold the black box. Took off, game crashed again.

Second attempt- Spawned a constellation since it had been 4+ minutes since the last time. Couldn't find the black box thing again so I took a new mission- go to beacon and defend ship. I fly my ship out there, there is of course no sign of anything until I get within 3km of the beacon, then a Starfarer (friendly) spawns that fills half my loving screen. Three enemy gladiuses spawned, and then a goddamn constellation. For a 1000 credit mission. Even in my own constellation I was hard pressed to finish it, and lost about half my ship. There is no payout for killing enemies, I should note- only for finishing the mission. The enemies were extremely glitched. Every time they took damage they'd come to a complete halt, but continue firing. So you'd get on a guy's tail and shoot him only to overshoot instantly as he just lost all momentum. When they died, they were no longer targetable but they didn't disappear from my radar or HUD. If I flew to one of the enemy icons I could see that it was now fixed on a random piece of the enemy ship. Eventually I got stuck just plowing shot after shot into the constellation which would. not. die. Then I got disconnected.

Third attempt: My constellation was lost in space due to the disconnect, again, which meant I had to reclaim again. Note that reclaiming is currently free. If it wasn't, I literally would not be able to play the game because my meager credits would be completely drained due to losing my ship on every single crash and disconnect. I am really glad that I only do this to myself once per year, because I'm already completely loving sick of spawning in the wank pod, spawning a ship, running through the airlocks etc. It is like groundhog day except instead of emotional fulfillment and enlightenment at the end of your reincarnation journey all you get is loving rage. Anyway I tabbed out to type this while performing one of the six unskippable cutscenes that have to play out every single time you go through this dance. I take the Gladius out to another emergency beacon. This time only a single enemy Gladius spawns so maybe it's done based off the weight of your ship? Kind of sucks though, if every time you take a 1000 cred mission you are going to face something that stands a good chance of killing you, even in super heavy gunships. I start to fight him, but he rams me, as seems to be standard protocol now. I bounce off the friendly Starfarer at 600 miles per hour and explode, dead instantly.

Fourth attempt: Well that's the gladius back on insurance timer. Wake up, wank pod, spawn constellation, unskippable cutscenes, etc. I take the Constellation out. Luckily little timmy starfarer keeps falling down the well, and this emergency beacon seems pretty drat consistent. I fly back out again. Sure enough it pops 4 enemies on me, so I guess it's based on the weight of your ship. This time none of them will die, though. My missiles are useless. Did I mention that? Missiles don't work in the PU, ever, so about 3/4ths of the armament on the constellation is out of action right from the start. I die, shot to pieces by the 4 spaceships. No 1000 credits for me.

Fifth attempt: Wake up, wank pod, spawn Gladius, unskippable cutscenes. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I go after the beacon again. Same old starfarer, single gladius spawns. I engage in glorious combat and actually win this time. I think I see what the problem is with the ramming, finally. Your guns are fixed-forward and you have a range of approximately 500m, at best, because this is world war 2 in space. But you are traveling at 250m/s, and your opponent who is also trying to shoot you is traveling towards you at 250 m/s. So you likely have about .1 seconds to fire before you literally just smack each other. The solution would be to engage in some kind of noclip strafing duel, but the AI opponents insist on flying directly towards you at all times, and there is no such thing as flying in reverse in Star Citizen unlike, for example, Elite. So you can, at best, fly solidly to the left while they just rush right in, and try to dodge them at the last second before they ram you. Anyway my opponent just kind of randomly explodes, I'm not sure why. He leaves half his parts and a target marker, again. I think that must be it, sweet victory must be mine! Then three more enemies spawn. Another gladius and two more auroras. loving SERIOUSLY? You don't just have to kill your own weight in ships for 1000 credits, you have to kill multiple times over? So I spend the next 60+ seconds plowing shots into the stationary Aurora which just won't loving die, for some goddamn reason, it is like it isn't even taking damage. If you're going to do WW2 in space the guns need to actually DO something, Chris. Then my Gladius just kind of explodes. I don't know why, I had full health and shields. I guess the enemy missiles work? Good for them, they get fully functioning ships.

A dead enemy, still targetable.

Anyway that has tapped out my rage-o-meter for the time being. Five attempts, five full ships lost, probably 10+ enemies killed in total, and I could not complete a single entry level, 1000 credit mission. Absolute dogshit.

Maybe EvilMerlin can help you out with some tips on how to become a better pilot. You see it doesn't matter the tools you are given, it's all down to individual skill.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ignoring the fact that CGI doesn't actually "make" money and all the nonsense, what is the "old" marketing program? Is he implying the old nerd fracking was somehow more aggressive or just ignoring the fact you can't keep pimping spaceships for a nonexistent game to a static audience without seeing a decline in sales?

Or is this that weird delusional cloud where they make something up, extrapolate a parallel history and then declare that the actual reality that got us here? "Development started in 2015 because the great thumb revolution needed to transpire before it could begin in earnest but now the thumb is up against the pipeline and its just going to spray content everywhere" etc etc

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Twyst posted:

Maybe EvilMerlin can help you out with some tips on how to become a better pilot. You see it doesn't matter the tools you are given, it's all down to individual skill.

I demand EvilMerlin be probated for 2 weeks with sarsparrila's post as the probation reason

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mr.Tophat posted:

I demand EvilMerlin be probated for 2 weeks with sarsparrila's post as the probation reason

dont be a coward

only cowards block or ban or probate people

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005

Ramadu posted:

dont be a coward

Summon EvilMerlin to defend star citizen / war criminals.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

Ignoring the fact that CGI doesn't actually "make" money and all the nonsense, what is the "old" marketing program? Is he implying the old nerd fracking was somehow more aggressive or just ignoring the fact you can't keep pimping spaceships for a nonexistent game to a static audience without seeing a decline in sales?

Or is this that weird delusional cloud where they make something up, extrapolate a parallel history and then declare that the actual reality that got us here? "Development started in 2015 because the great thumb revolution needed to transpire before it could begin in earnest but now the thumb is up against the pipeline and its just going to spray content everywhere" etc etc

Warbonds aren't a sign that CIG needs money, they are a sign that CIG had too much money so they had to stop doing unspecified things that would have brought in even more money than the flat $34-36M dollars that they have brought in every year since 2014 but now CIG needs money because they stopped doing the unspecified things but rather than just starting those back up again despite their unquestioned effectiveness they are doing the warbonds instead because they need money but the warbonds aren't because CIG needs money.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Twyst posted:

EvilMerlin's already done his pre and post CitCon victory laps, I doubt we'll see him again until the next time Chris appears on stage.

That said, even though you're joking I actually do feel like most cases when you fail at a video game you can be pretty sure it's a skill gap and not a mechanical one. If I get obliterated in Dark Souls pvp, it is because someone started from the same place as me, and earned better equipment or perfected a set of PVP moves that I didn't know how to counter, but if I am willing to spend the time I can eventually achieve parity. That's good game design.

Star Citizen is the exception to that rule. If I get killed in Star Citizen, it is usually because my whole screen froze for 10 seconds mid-fight, or the enemy fired missiles but the UI is so cluttered there is no way to tell I've been targeted, or the key that used to make you strafe now deploys the landing gear and cancels all your space momentum, or the guy I'm fighting bought a ship with megalasers and there is literally no in-game way to match him. There is no in-game skill curve, you start in the deepest end and that's all there ever is or will be. Is the AI broken, or is coming to a complete halt when you shoot at them a valid tactic? Who can say! If I die in Dark Souls I know I've been out played. If I die in Star Citizen, 90% of the time I have no idea what just happened. There is no growth because the failure can't be interpreted.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can someone please mspaint label what the various elements of that ship UI even are

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh, I found the "Fly backwards" button.

It is... "3".

Of course.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGoNVWzgsBI

Pro click of the day. :colbert:

Magirot
Oct 19, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh, I found the "Fly backwards" button.

It is... "3".

Of course.

There's also a "decoupled mode" which you can use to turn while keeping your trajectory, but it isn't bound to any key by default. For whatever reason.
Edit: unless they added one since the last free weekend and it's exactly that thing bound to "3".

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

Can someone please mspaint label what the various elements of that ship UI even are
Sure.

1- This is your ship shield and damage indicator. It is displayed on a monitor in your cockpit. If you have time in battle you can hit F, mouse over it, and hit those little pie chart slices to direct shield power to different parts. I don't know if that works, it probably doesn't. The damage part flashes to show which parts of your ship are hit, or still exist. Note that my cockpit has not been damaged- it literally always looks like the front has fallen off. The two little graphs EM and IR on the side are supposed to indicate your ship's current heat and electromagnetic signatures. I guess higher is worse, because targeting? But there's no way to lower or manage them, and missiles don't work anyway, so gently caress it.

2- This is the same information as 1, but it is displayed on the inside of your helmet. There is no way to turn off this second display. It makes both 1 and 2 completely unreadable in combat.

3- None of these actually do anything. The first one is showing weapons, I think, but none of that information matters. I think you can turn them "Off" but why the gently caress would you ever do that. The second is the "Comms" display which may, some day, actually show people's faces. Right now it just constantly lights up like people are calling you but nothing ever displays and you don't hear anything. The third panel up here is another pointless set of graphs about thermal and heat signatures.

4/5- Similar to 1/2, except this time the display is for the enemy ship. The only useful part of this is the shield facing strength, which is displayed in a 3d format so it's basically impossible to loving read even if there weren't two of the same displays cluttering each other up. The graphs are for the enemy heat/electromagnetic signatures, which are useless.

6- This is your power distribution settings, and also 3 more graphs for your heat and electro signatures. Those things must be real goddamn important because they are on literally every display on the loving screen. Anyway the power triangle lets you distribute ship power to your various systems. I've tried it, it moves around but as far as I can tell doesn't do anything. The guns still overheat at the same speed, the shields still drop just as fast. I don't know. The usage/required poo poo at the top seems to be some kind of "Power output" management system, and you can slide those gauges around, but they also do nothing that I can determine.

7- Here's another visual indicator of your shields along with a bunch more useless garbage sliders that don't do anything.

8- Here's where the game constantly, constantly spams you with tooltips. Right now I'm fighting for my life and it is pretty sure I want to travel somewhere so it's going to put up a bunch of messages about quantum drives.

9- Back here, obscured by the helpful messages, is the loving ship's radar. The one useful item in this whole cavalcade of horseshit and it is the size of a postage stamp, and obscured by the tooltips. FIRE YOUR loving UI TEAM. Also you may note that the enemy ship I'm currently 10 feet away from, is not showing up on the radar. Guess they're pretty good at managing those power settings!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

boviscopophobic posted:

Warbonds aren't a sign that CIG needs money, they are a sign that CIG had too much money so they had to stop doing unspecified things that would have brought in even more money than the flat $34-36M dollars that they have brought in every year since 2014 but now CIG needs money because they stopped doing the unspecified things but rather than just starting those back up again despite their unquestioned effectiveness they are doing the warbonds instead because they need money but the warbonds aren't because CIG needs money.
Oh hey, someone transcribed the Necronomicon into a reddit post and now the entire forum is slowly losing their sanity trying to decipher its logic.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

kw0134 posted:

Oh hey, someone transcribed the Necronomicon into a reddit post and now the entire forum is slowly losing their sanity trying to decipher its logic.

Iä ! Iâ ! :crobear: fhtagn !

In his fidelitous house at Olisar, coked crobear waits clipping. :cthulhu:

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

That said, even though you're joking I actually do feel like most cases when you fail at a video game you can be pretty sure it's a skill gap and not a mechanical one. If I get obliterated in Dark Souls pvp, it is because someone started from the same place as me, and earned better equipment or perfected a set of PVP moves that I didn't know how to counter, but if I am willing to spend the time I can eventually achieve parity. That's good game design.

Star Citizen is the exception to that rule. If I get killed in Star Citizen, it is usually because my whole screen froze for 10 seconds mid-fight, or the enemy fired missiles but the UI is so cluttered there is no way to tell I've been targeted, or the key that used to make you strafe now deploys the landing gear and cancels all your space momentum, or the guy I'm fighting bought a ship with megalasers and there is literally no in-game way to match him. There is no in-game skill curve, you start in the deepest end and that's all there ever is or will be. Is the AI broken, or is coming to a complete halt when you shoot at them a valid tactic? Who can say! If I die in Dark Souls I know I've been out played. If I die in Star Citizen, 90% of the time I have no idea what just happened. There is no growth because the failure can't be interpreted.

Probably because star citizen is a ship dealership not a designed / functional game.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramadu posted:

dont be a coward

LoL no. Blocking people is fun. It lets them know, unequivocally, that you don't care about anything they have to say, ever.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

When I saw this on my phone, I thought you were trying to shoot an actual constellation, because I couldn't see poo poo other than viewscreens and dots.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Sci Fi Book news.

Just finished reading Book 3 of 'Merkiaari Wars' by Mark E Cooper
I'm liking the series.
The writing style is a little over the place but the sci fi world creation is nice.
Each book is a little short, can be read on its own, but it kind of reminds me of a 60's tv series......"tune in next week to see what happens to.........."

Hey everything needs a hook right?

Played 3.3 PTU and it's pants.

FPS was between 30-60 but hitched like a bitch. I can't be arsed to try again.

Waiting for patch 3.3.5.7.5.9.2, apparently that's going to fix some problems and add more content.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

Sure.

1- This is your ship shield and damage indicator. It is displayed on a monitor in your cockpit. If you have time in battle you can hit F, mouse over it, and hit those little pie chart slices to direct shield power to different parts. I don't know if that works, it probably doesn't. The damage part flashes to show which parts of your ship are hit, or still exist. Note that my cockpit has not been damaged- it literally always looks like the front has fallen off. The two little graphs EM and IR on the side are supposed to indicate your ship's current heat and electromagnetic signatures. I guess higher is worse, because targeting? But there's no way to lower or manage them, and missiles don't work anyway, so gently caress it.

2- This is the same information as 1, but it is displayed on the inside of your helmet. There is no way to turn off this second display. It makes both 1 and 2 completely unreadable in combat.

3- None of these actually do anything. The first one is showing weapons, I think, but none of that information matters. I think you can turn them "Off" but why the gently caress would you ever do that. The second is the "Comms" display which may, some day, actually show people's faces. Right now it just constantly lights up like people are calling you but nothing ever displays and you don't hear anything. The third panel up here is another pointless set of graphs about thermal and heat signatures.

4/5- Similar to 1/2, except this time the display is for the enemy ship. The only useful part of this is the shield facing strength, which is displayed in a 3d format so it's basically impossible to loving read even if there weren't two of the same displays cluttering each other up. The graphs are for the enemy heat/electromagnetic signatures, which are useless.

6- This is your power distribution settings, and also 3 more graphs for your heat and electro signatures. Those things must be real goddamn important because they are on literally every display on the loving screen. Anyway the power triangle lets you distribute ship power to your various systems. I've tried it, it moves around but as far as I can tell doesn't do anything. The guns still overheat at the same speed, the shields still drop just as fast. I don't know. The usage/required poo poo at the top seems to be some kind of "Power output" management system, and you can slide those gauges around, but they also do nothing that I can determine.

7- Here's another visual indicator of your shields along with a bunch more useless garbage sliders that don't do anything.

8- Here's where the game constantly, constantly spams you with tooltips. Right now I'm fighting for my life and it is pretty sure I want to travel somewhere so it's going to put up a bunch of messages about quantum drives.

9- Back here, obscured by the helpful messages, is the loving ship's radar. The one useful item in this whole cavalcade of horseshit and it is the size of a postage stamp, and obscured by the tooltips. FIRE YOUR loving UI TEAM. Also you may note that the enemy ship I'm currently 10 feet away from, is not showing up on the radar. Guess they're pretty good at managing those power settings!

quoting the poo poo out of this post

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

LoL no. Blocking people is fun. It lets them know, unequivocally, that you don't care about anything they have to say, ever.

No see galaxy-brain is telling them they are being blocked. The actual blocking is basically unimportant as long as they know you did it! You sure showed them!

Don't forget to accidentally respond to them 2 weeks later.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Sure.

Welcome to the OP.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Welcome to the OP.

Hooray!

I figured out how to fly in decoupled mode. This is going to take some explaining.

See when you go to the keybinds menu there are four keyboard layouts. Flight, Flight (Advanced), Foot, and Foot (Advanced). I, being a complete noob scrublord idiot, assumed that Flight (Advanced) and Flight were just the same thing but that Advanced probably had a lot of the extra poo poo like decoupled mode. I was correct except for one thing. They are completely different layouts. In "Flight", the fly backwards is 3 and there is no decouple. In "Flight Advanced", fly backwards is Alt+S and you hit V to decouple.

How do you switch between the two, you ask? Oh you just go to "Advanced control customization", find the button that says "Control profiles", click on it, select "Keyboard advanced" from the menu, select that you want it to load both keyboard and mouse profiles, and click okay. Then it will literally remap and rebind every single control in the game to the new defaults. Hope you saved your custom settings!

Obviously once I finished this simple and intuitive process, flying and fighting was substantially easier. I made it to wave 6/9 in AC with a gladius on the first try. Missiles still don't work for poo poo, and stuff takes way too long to shoot, but being able to hit V and go to turret mode made a world of difference to fix the constant ramming.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ramadu posted:

dont be a coward

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hosed up if true

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also, interestingly, the damage modeling in AC seems substantially better than in the main game. By wave 6 I had lost a wing, had my cockpit set on fire, and had half my reaction thrusters knocked out. This dramatically altered the flight profile of the ship, needless to say, and made it a real interesting challenge to get around. I've never seen any flight model changes in the PU and I've had half the ship shot off. It's like two completely different games. Actually, that's probably exactly what it is.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, interestingly, the damage modeling in AC seems substantially better than in the main game. By wave 6 I had lost a wing, had my cockpit set on fire, and had half my reaction thrusters knocked out. This dramatically altered the flight profile of the ship, needless to say, and made it a real interesting challenge to get around. I've never seen any flight model changes in the PU and I've had half the ship shot off. It's like two completely different games. Actually, that's probably exactly what it is.

:eyepop:

I'm shocked at this totally-unexpected news

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

So it's not labor or complexity keeping it from being fixed. The only reason I can think of that the sign is upside down is that nobody even bothered to look at it before the truck stop went out to backers.

This is a game that had an "honesty" knob in the cockpit, and lore about an overly ambitious artificial planet that stalled out after it went over budget. I think people on the creative teams have a huge amount of leeway to do whatever.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHWGb23S5g

Worth a good listen; a few non-CIG devs pop in to give their take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXHWGb23S5g

Worth a good listen; a few non-CIG devs pop in to give their take

I don't know, right at the start they're praising Mining as a "Good" system. I haven't been able to mine, since literally one ship in the game is capable of it and it doesn't tie into any other mechanic. Also the host is excusing away Crobberts' promises.