Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Can anyone with a Nikon FM/FM2, FA or FE/FE2 tell me if their shutter blades bow out like this when winding on?

(The two curtains are much closer together in the area obscured by shadow, on the left side of the film gate.)

I don't think any appreciable light is getting through between the curtains, because I can't see any when I blast a high-power LED into the mirror box and observe from the other side while winding.

However, I starting looking closer at the shutter when I noticed that my last roll of PANF+ came back with a lot (but not all) of the negatives with a clear sky showed a band of 1/2 or 1/3 stop underexposure at the top. Can't see it in the rebate, but the emulsion is pretty thin so hard to say for sure. If the band really is constrained by the frame and not just a development fluke, I wonder if the bowed curtain has anything to do with it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Betting on development
Are you using a Patterson tank? Did you make sure to load the empty spool on top of the full one and to use enough fluid?

Could always high speed camera the shutter (iPhone 240 FPS should do it) to make sure it’s opening all the way but I doubt that’s he problem

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The upper blade of the rear curtain looks exactly like that on my FE2 while winding on.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Digitised some of my first roll of neggies using a Nikon ES-2 digitiser-adapter, Nikon 60mm macro lens and Sony A7RII. I'm super pleased with the results, extremely sharp 'scans'. I was using a bright LED bicycle light as the light source which caused some issues with uneven illumination across the frame, so I'll work on getting a more even light source. Shot on Fomapan 400 and developed in Rodinal because I wanted a grainy high-contrast look and that's exactly what I got.

DSC01315 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

DSC01317 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Got at least one usable anaglyph out of the stereo realist on the first test roll. Gotta have glasses for this one, but the binocular slide viewer works fairly well too.

Apologies to the color-blind.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Hey guys, quick dirt question:

I know how to change the colour temperature on my digital camera to balance the base layer when digitizing colour film (as explained in the infamous and old youtube video). But what about black and white? I'm rescaning all my film (HD crash, eh) and I'm thinking if I should do the same (set colour balance to make the base as invisible as possible) or if it doesn't really matter with black and white?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Primo Itch posted:

Hey guys, quick dirt question:

I know how to change the colour temperature on my digital camera to balance the base layer when digitizing colour film (as explained in the infamous and old youtube video). But what about black and white? I'm rescaning all my film (HD crash, eh) and I'm thinking if I should do the same (set colour balance to make the base as invisible as possible) or if it doesn't really matter with black and white?

Well the base is grey, so there's no color balancing needed, but setting the black and white point with the levels tool can get the tones spread across the histogram (kind of like that video, but only one channel). Then you do curves or whatever to add in some contrast if you like.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

eggsovereasy posted:

Well the base is grey, so there's no color balancing needed, but setting the black and white point with the levels tool can get the tones spread across the histogram (kind of like that video, but only one channel). Then you do curves or whatever to add in some contrast if you like.

Thank you. I was just thinking if I was maybe losing a little bit of information by not "cancelling" the base layer, but yeah, I don't think that makes much sense in the end...

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

poo poo I'm really digging shooting film :downs:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Pooper Trooper posted:

poo poo I'm really digging shooting film :downs:

:hfive:

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Alright, I have a question. The photos I've been taking all have this sort of yellowish muddy hue to them, coming straight from the dev lab. I don't mind it that much, it feels pretty ~authentic~ but eventually I'll want to move on from the generic vintage feel I suppose, and try to take better photos. Am I doing something wrong or is it due to the film I use (Kodak Color Plus 200)? Does it have to do with the development process? I've bought a roll of Fuji Pro 400H to see how it compares, but I won't get to try it for a few days until I finish the roll that's currently loaded in my camera.

Here's some sample photos, unedited, indoors and outdoors so you can see what I mean about the colours.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it has to do with your lab doing all of the color and scanning for you

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Just some dude from NASA: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/roundshot-panoramic-enlarger-with-photos.108016/

'Strip' enlargers are a thing but inherently require some mechanization: https://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-strip-enlarger.html

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

ansel autisms posted:

it has to do with your lab doing all of the color and scanning for you

I was afraid that would be the case. Oh well, time to learn a new skill I guess :sigh:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Random question for all you film shooters, has anyone noticed upcoming black friday film sales this year? Was there anything last year beyond typical x% off store coupons that you could apply to whatever (ie. film)?

I'm guessing it would have to be expired for any real savings either way, but hey you never know.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I don't think I've ever seen film on sale anywhere that wasn't short dated.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
*develops slide film*

Holy shitballs

Two more rolls to develop and we'll see how it holds up to scanning. The new ektachrome curls weirdly while drying but hopefully it flattens out.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Very different negatives after I fixed my shutter speeds (all speeds were 1.5 to 2x faster than they were supposed to be). Shot on Kosmo Foto Mono (rebadged Fomapan 100), developed in rodinal.

DSC01379 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

DSC01358 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Hi, guys. I'm starting to get into film after cutting my teeth on digital, and I've got a basic availability question: My family and I will be going to the UK from the US for Christmas, and I'd like to take my film camera with me, but the whole exposing undeveloped stock to x-rays issue has me a bit worried. To mitigate that, I might just purchase some film while we're over there, that way it'll only go through scanning a few times on the way home. Do any UK goons know a place that regularly stocks film? Not looking for anything fancy; cheapo 200 or 400 speed color film would do. There's a Boots near where we'll be, so perhaps there?

Thanks!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ooh, I like this composition.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can carry it through security and tell them you have film you want hand checked instead of sent through the scanner.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
:eek: How big of a problem are x-rays for film? The last (and only) film I brought on a trip seemed to come out fine. What kind of adverse effects would be expected from them being scanned?

I'm planning on bringing some film for my trip in a few weeks, maybe now I'll need to be a little more careful with it :ohdearsass:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Fools Infinite posted:

You can carry it through security and tell them you have film you want hand checked instead of sent through the scanner.

Yeah, I'd heard of that, but we'll be travelling with a five-year-old, so the more streamlined security is, the better!

pseudorandom posted:

:eek: How big of a problem are x-rays for film? The last (and only) film I brought on a trip seemed to come out fine. What kind of adverse effects would be expected from them being scanned?

I'm planning on bringing some film for my trip in a few weeks, maybe now I'll need to be a little more careful with it :ohdearsass:

Here's a thing: https://filmadvance.com/2013/10/how-to-flying-with-film/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I fly with film a lot. Unless you have a very roundabout trip - more than 5 or 6 legs - or you are carrying really fast film (ISO1600 and above), you don't need to worry about airport x rays. Exposed film is a bit more sensitive than unexposed film though so bear that in mind. You can ask the security dudes to hand-check your film but this is a bit hit-or-miss. Make it easy for them to say yes by having it already in a clear ziplock bag and handing it to them when you make the request. Mostly they'll go with it but don't be surprised if they just stick it on the belt and put it through with the rest of your bags. Don't put your film in a metal case to protect it, all that will do is encourage the scanner guy to turn up the gain to see what's inside. At that point your film is having a bad day.

Try not to have film loaded in your camera if you can help it. Sometimes they want you to take a photo with the camera to prove that it's not a blank case to hide drugs or a bomb. They often get confused when you tell them it's a film camera and you might need to open the back.

Having said all of that, film in the UK is pretty easy to find, especially if you're in a decent sized city. There's really no reason to carry a lot of it with you from the US unless you are into particularly rare stocks. Boots might sell film, if they do it'll be the cheap and cheerful Kodak Gold 200 kind of stuff, don't expect to find Portra or Velvia there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

It’s three flights each way, so I’ll probably see what I can find in town when we land. I’m willing to take my chances having undeveloped film exposed to carry-on x-rays two to three times, but four to six is definitely more worrisome. I’m a turbo-noob when it comes to film, so the cheap stuff is a-okay with me.

I bet I could probably just have Amazon drop ship some film to where we’ll be staying too. Might look into that...

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Unless you are in some really tiny village, I'm going to say that finding film for sale in a local UK store will not be a problem. Where will you actually be staying?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Just outside of Ripon. There’s a Boots in town. Harragate’s not far either.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Every camera store I went into in Reading had film for sale, just ask and they'll probably pull out a box from under the counter.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Just outside of Ripon. There’s a Boots in town. Harragate’s not far either.

Leeds:
https://wycameras.com/
https://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/448192-film-processing

Harrogate:
https://www.jessops.com/store-finder/harrogate

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Awesome! Thanks!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

Every camera store I went into in Reading had film for sale, just ask and they'll probably pull out a box from under the counter.

Thanks. That's good to know too. I suppose I could've just as easily googled camera shops myself, but I'm unsure of the convention over there (if there is one) of actually keeping things in stock.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I haven't had issues with slower film in the past. Definitely just buy locally if you're concerned.

Here's another thing, complete with comparison photos: https://thedarkroom.com/bringing-film-airport-security-effects-x-rays-film/

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've never had an issue getting film hand inspected at any North American airport I've gone through. It won't even surprise them. The last time I went through Whitehorse, Yukon I asked the agent (who couldn't have been older than 20) how often he sees this stuff and he said about a dozen times a week and that's at a tiny airport in the middle of nowhere. They're still trained on how to handle film so they won't be pulling the strip out of the can or whatever.

Europe on the other hand? It gets scanned. Everything gets scan. Shut up or you're going through the scanner as well.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pulled off my first home development job just now!

I was a bit stressed out, especially as I’d heard horror stories about the C-41 process, but I did it!

I feel like a kid who’s just learned to ride his bike. :woop:

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Seeing as you can correct most developing errors C41 isn't nearly that bad.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

President Beep posted:

Pulled off my first home development job just now!

C-41 Developer
Water (Room Temp) 800.0ml
Potassium Carbonate 32.0g
Sodium Sulfite 3.5g
Potassium Bromide 1.5g
Hydroxylamine Sulfate 2.0g
CD-4 5.0g (https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/CD_4_Color_developer)
Water to make 1.0L

C-41 Stop Bath - required
Glacial Acetic Acid 10.0ml
Water to make 1.0L

C-22 Bleach formula
Water 750.0ml
Potassium Ferricyanide 80.0g
Potassium Bromide 20.0g
Water to make 1.0L

The Fixer is made using Kodak Fixer - same as B&W
Kodak Fixer 244.0ml
Water to make 1.0L

Processing Schedule (at 100F/38C)
Dry Warmup 5:00
Developer 3:15
Stop Bath 0:45
Rinse 1:00 (2x 0:30)
Bleach 2:30
Rinse 1:00 (2x 0:30)
Fixer 2:30
Wash 4:00 (8x 0:30)
The Bleach and Fixer can be reused until the the bleach/fixer times extends beyond the times listed above.

https://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/

Shamelessly stolen from: https://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/c41_ra4_chemicals.htm

A few frames of Kodak Gold 400 @ 500 developed with the above process.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 24, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So cool. Is there any economy in buying the separate chemicals and homebrewing vs. the prepackaged kits? What about qualitative differences in the results? Assuming you've got experience with both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Dry chemicals have a better shelf life than liquid kits when stored in a oxygen & moisture free environment. There's an outdated breakdown of cost per roll on the Swiss page linked above, but its cheaper than a kit, particularly when doing small development runs over a long period of time with separate bleach and fix steps. The bleach is composed of salts already on hand if you're doing cyanotype printing and DIY silver gelatin emulsions. The fixer is the same as used on any B&W film stock.

I think a lot of the je ne sais quoi of lab development comes from how the developer has been seasoned and potentially replenished after the processing of multiple rolls. A seasoned developer inevitably leads to (hopefully subtle) color shifts and paradoxically greater accutance provided the bleach step is included since the activity of the silver-reducing component of the developer is lessened but the activity of the dye forming components are increased. The color dye produced in the final negative is a function of the components present in developer having already been exposed to the dye layers present in the film.

The freshly mixed C-41 developer above would be described as high-activity, producing high contrast and potentially blown highlights when used freshly mixed with box speed exposures. I don't develop enough film to study effects of developer re-use across multiple rolls with or without replenishment so I tune my exposures and development time to account for using freshly mixed developer.

I have limited experience with kits, but my guess is that they're formulated to be a bit weaker in their silver-reducing action to tame contrast, probably by altering pH. The color response seems mostly the same but I've never re-used developer mixed from a kit either.