Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm starting to realize that when they give HHC commands in BNs to captains that don't belong to that branch, they aren't the sharpest of the bunch.

Particularly when I've heard the 1SGs of both of them complain about how dumb their counterparts are.

Kind of weird, HHC commands given to the dumbest captains and paired with the top performing 1SGs from line companies.

I wanted to give this guy a chance but he is just objectively a stupid person.

Best set of decisions I ever made was deciding to just ignore everything he says.

The only other staff section lead by a LT let themselves set the precedent that they can be ordered around by him and now effectively has 2 bosses, the BN XO and the HHC Commander.

Idiot commander tried making me come in on the weekend to help him prepare for a brief that I'm not at all involved in or responsible for. I'm at home but that other LT is at work on a weekend working on something they also aren't at all involved in.

May can't come soon enough. So close to freedom...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

I'm starting to realize that when they give HHC commands in BNs to captains that don't belong to that branch, they aren't the sharpest of the bunch.

Particularly when I've heard the 1SGs of both of them complain about how dumb their counterparts are.

Kind of weird, HHC commands given to the dumbest captains and paired with the top performing 1SGs from line companies.

Best set of decisions I ever made was deciding to just ignore everything he says.

The only other staff section lead by a LT let themselves set the precedent that they can be ordered around by him and now effectively has 2 bosses, the BN XO and the HHC Commander.

Idiot commander tried making me come in on the weekend to help him prepare for a brief that I'm not at all involved in or responsible for. I'm at home but that other LT is at work on a weekend working on something they also aren't at all involved in.

just reup

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Too late for that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
^Never too late. Your PT game is strong enough for an SFAB, I imagine, and they're always hiring! :unsmigghh:

Mustang posted:

Often accurate. So even when an HHC/HHB commander is good, they have to really go out of their way to prove to other people that they aren't awful. Often times, the way to do that is by doing less, not more, and just ensuring that mandatory events where senior leaders have to show up aren't poo poo shows. Senior leaders may drat near have no idea who the HHC commander is, but they'll remember if something as simple as a PAI, drug test, flu shots, or SRP are a poo poo show.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

you're gonna have have nightmares where you wake up thinking you joined the army again for the rest of your life

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

you're gonna have have nightmares where you wake up thinking you joined the army again for the rest of your life

pmuch

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The nightmare I have right now is that I smoke weed in my dreams and then get drug tested at work.

I wake up and then I'm like "gently caress, did I smoke weed?!? Wait nope, just a dream"

It's pretty much the only type of Army dream I've ever had.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

The nightmare I have right now is that I smoke weed in my dreams and then get drug tested at work.

I wake up and then I'm like "gently caress, did I smoke weed?!? Wait nope, just a dream"

Literally me. That and formation with a beard or no uniform.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
SFAB sounds loving horrendous.

My unit didn't burn down Liggett, but we sure did a lot of other dumb stuff. I was in the ops center listening to our lines report that they saw the enemy but they wanted to use their words so they never shot at them. Nor used their words. It was great.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Its true

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My recurring dream is having to call home and explain I got deployed on the way to pick up pizza.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Back in magically but:

My rank is wrong, but I can't find S1 to get it corrected.

Still in DCUs, can't find Clothing & Sales to get new uniform.

Don't have boots, have to run around trying to find Clothing & Sales and constantly stepping on the boot blousing straps

Wrong uniform and no cover, have to explain every ten seconds that I'm aware and trying to fix it

There's no amount of time nor alcohol that can erase that bullshit from my brain.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Oh poo poo Ive had the no cover one too! It always apears tied to 550 cord and to something else.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
it's always some weird circumstances in my dreams but the one consistency is that I'm always mad as gently caress about being back in

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lost my weapon and have to sift through a pile trying to find SN 7261059

i never find it and wake up in a cold sweat

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you know some nco is hiding it from you and waiting for you to say something so they can gently caress with you

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh poo poo did i leave it behind during the convoy

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

On HHC command chat: we lucked out because our Bde commander got mad at our old HHC captain for something dumb, so he got pushed out and replaced with the best cpt we have. I legitimately respect my HHC command team, which surprises me given my views on the rest of the unit.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Mustang posted:

I wake up sometimes and go out back for my morning bowl and feel like im doing something wrong. Its been 4 years and that loving feeling of impending doom/doing wrong or some rear end in a top hat watching me hasn't gone away.

Its healthy im sure. Even though im not doing poo poo wrong. Literally 3.7 GPA almost done with the BAS. But always feel loving off. Its loving crazy.

mods changed my name posted:

it's always some weird circumstances in my dreams but the one consistency is that I'm always mad as gently caress about being back in

I wish I was but its kind of like thinking of old relationships or situations you forget the bad and focus on only the small fun times and then I remember gently caress the Army, I did my time. Its just boring out here so my mind runs. Just like it would in the motorpool at 1730 waiting for the rear end in a top hat 1SG to release us. Then I remember I dont miss it.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 19, 2018

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

On HHC command chat: we lucked out because our Bde commander got mad at our old HHC captain for something dumb, so he got pushed out and replaced with the best cpt we have. I legitimately respect my HHC command team, which surprises me given my views on the rest of the unit.

Our HHC XOs and 1SGs have generally been the best in the BN. It's the CPTs they put in command of our HHC that blow.

There's only so much interference they can run.

Fortunately S4 shops only have a few people and if they try to task us with some bullshit they're likely to piss off the BN XO so HHC generally leaves us alone.

Definitely sucks for the other shops though.

"Sorry, can't do that, working on X for the BN Commander or BN XO" is my favorite excuse and generally true anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My Army dreams are less an action or event and more the nagging sense of dread that I hosed up. Did I forget a formation, not call attention when someone walked in the room, do I need to shave for the second time today or can I get away with just one? (Hooray light skin and dark facial hair)

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My army dreams are usually loving up someone’s pay and then waking up wondering if I really had. Like this morning, and I haven’t done pay in eight months

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just had a sweet rear end dream where I was back in and didn't have the gear I needed for whatever bullshit I was doing, and it wasn't even gear I'd ever actually had while in. Hell yeah, brain, you're doing me a solid by making me wake up all worried about dumb poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

drat, ya'll are some stressed out dudes/dudettes.

My biggest concerns right now are a trip to eastern europe, and then a conference stateside. Both of which are just parties dressed up to seem official and important.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

drat, ya'll are some stressed out dudes/dudettes.

My biggest concerns right now are a trip to eastern europe, and then a conference stateside. Both of which are just parties dressed up to seem official and important.

Lol gently caress off noble

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I had a dream last night where I made a sandwich using an MRE ham slice and cheese spread. I then had to fight someone with a light saber, so I don't know what the hell that was about.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I didn't have a single Army dream (not counting PTSD related shenanigans) until AFTER I left the Army. That's the hosed up part.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I haven't had a single army where's my hat or whatever dream and all it cost me was severe brain injury.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol gently caress off noble

I plan on it.

Anybody here in the american legion? Do they have any kind of plans to modernize their hangout spots at all?

The ones that I've gone to all complain that younger generations of veterans aren't coming in and I just think it's because it's just a run down smelly bar (the ones I've gone to).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every legion hall and VFW I've ever been to (a few in CT, one in KY, one in CO, one in VA) has been the same thing. It's a run down bar that smells like a busy movie theater with a handful of ww2/korean/vietnam vets w/ a few random desert storm guys.

Groups like those are largely going extinct because their intended purpose (a collective hangout spot for veterans to enable networking) are no longer necessary. I remember stories about how my dad and uncle got back from Vietnam and the only way they ever found work was going to the VFW. But things have gone completely 180 where society now praises vets and there's incentives for hiring them.

A friend in school tried to push really hard to get everyone involved with the local VFW. It was miserable and everybody else gave up after like two weeks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Every legion hall and VFW I've ever been to (a few in CT, one in KY, one in CO, one in VA) has been the same thing. It's a run down bar that smells like a busy movie theater with a handful of ww2/korean/vietnam vets w/ a few random desert storm guys.

Groups like those are largely going extinct because their intended purpose (a collective hangout spot for veterans to enable networking) are no longer necessary. I remember stories about how my dad and uncle got back from Vietnam and the only way they ever found work was going to the VFW. But things have gone completely 180 where society now praises vets and there's incentives for hiring them.

A friend in school tried to push really hard to get everyone involved with the local VFW. It was miserable and everybody else gave up after like two weeks.

Didn't the VFW initially bar Vietnam Veterans from joining?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
And the legion didn't consider Iraq/Afghanistan a thing until like, 2006 or something!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The tradition of loving newer guys goes strong.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
gonna guess those places are filled with boot licking chud types nowadays and lol at hanging out there

edit: and paying money to do so lol

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 21, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah I'm kind of over the whole veteran culture thing and don't want to seek out people to associate with based on that. If I meet someone through normal means who is already cool and it turns out they're a vet, then cool, it's one more thing in common. But it's not reason by itself for me to talk to someone or associate with a group.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Rat posted:

Yeah I'm kind of over the whole veteran culture thing and don't want to seek out people to associate with based on that. If I meet someone through normal means who is already cool and it turns out they're a vet, then cool, it's one more thing in common. But it's not reason by itself for me to talk to someone or associate with a group.

That's largely how reintegration/re-socialization works. The more indoctrinated you were (either drinking the kool-aid, or simply being in long enough for it to consume your original identity) the more effort it takes to reintegrate you and the longer it takes. It's actually very much like prison, much more than regular people ever realize. There's a lot of caveats about that statement but I'm talking broad strokes.

It took me roughly 6-7 years to deprogram, though to be fair I didn't have the best environment to do so and didn't make a lot of active effort. Now my military experience is just an important component of my identity, rather than the core driving feature.

edit: to expand on this a little, there's intermediate steps that you take to reintegrate - like a goldfish in a bag put in a tank of water. One of which is associating (or attempting to associate) with people of similar backgrounds, so you can essentially group therapy yourselves back into society. But the kicker is that you have to want to do it, and society has to be willing to accept you back. Vietnam era was a lot harder on both of those regards, particularly with people that were drafted or "volunteers" (dad was drafted, but volunteered for the Navy instead) because society didn't exactly welcome people back. So the creation and continuation of veteran groups is a reactionary social defense mechanism - allowing groups of society's outcasts to develop parallel to mainstream.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 21, 2018

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The Rat posted:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Vasudus posted:

That's largely how reintegration/re-socialization works. The more indoctrinated you were (either drinking the kool-aid, or simply being in long enough for it to consume your original identity) the more effort it takes to reintegrate you and the longer it takes. It's actually very much like prison, much more than regular people ever realize. There's a lot of caveats about that statement but I'm talking broad strokes.

It took me roughly 6-7 years to deprogram, though to be fair I didn't have the best environment to do so and didn't make a lot of active effort. Now my military experience is just an important component of my identity, rather than the core driving feature.

edit: to expand on this a little, there's intermediate steps that you take to reintegrate - like a goldfish in a bag put in a tank of water. One of which is associating (or attempting to associate) with people of similar backgrounds, so you can essentially group therapy yourselves back into society. But the kicker is that you have to want to do it, and society has to be willing to accept you back. Vietnam era was a lot harder on both of those regards, particularly with people that were drafted or "volunteers" (dad was drafted, but volunteered for the Navy instead) because society didn't exactly welcome people back. So the creation and continuation of veteran groups is a reactionary social defense mechanism - allowing groups of society's outcasts to develop parallel to mainstream.

That makes a lot of sense. It took me a long while to get to this point as well, especially since I did deployed contracting for 3 years after my initial abortive attempt at college. Although the contracting helped me get over the army in a roundabout way. Unfinished business felt like it got resolved.

Still I dunno if I'm really reintegrated to society or just mostly deprogrammed.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Also lol I love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have a weird duty. I am to guard An Important Room for the brigade at An Important Location.

Tools given: a cot. My orders were to sleep in front of door so I can wake up if someone tries to get in. I get relieved in 12 hours.