Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I have a frightening number of hours in the game so far, and I have to say my favorite primary is still the Boltor, and I've played around with lots of other top weapons. It just has a great feel to it.

Early game I had the Boltor, for most of the midgame I got Boltor Prime from the Rhino pack, and now I've got a blinged out Telos Boltor stuffed full of Forma with a sweet Day of the Dead skin that makes it look super classy with golden skulls and accents. I know other guns are technically better but I just love boltors. I've been trying Tiberon Prime lately and just can't get into it. Supra Vandal was incredible and the entropy proc is way more useful, but it just doesn't match the feel of the boltor.

I've got an Akbolto Prime, I should probably look into finding a riven for it so I can just be bolting all the time. Secondary options are ridiculous though and its tough to justify them with all the other crazy poo poo there is.

Just remember, everything can be grievously overpowered in this game with enough Forma and Rivens friend. This is the worst game to worry about being optimal :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Boltor disposition is pretty low, is it still worthwhile to seek out a riven if I just want to make my boltor even more ridiculous?

Also, just for confirmation, Primed Cryo rounds is the only primed rifle mod right now, right? Just trying to see what else I can slap on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2 dispo is still in the usable range. mine is 160% damage, punch through, clip size. not exactly perfect, but still worth using.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Today i learned a valuable lesson about nyx('s 1 ability)
https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleColorfulConsoleTBTacoRight
mainly that she's a horrific remorseless monster and the enemies trying to kill her are probably the ones we should be rooting for

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Quartakk Toxisus

+173.8% Slash
+151% Toxin
-37.8% zoom

I am happy with this purchase.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Boltor disposition is pretty low, is it still worthwhile to seek out a riven if I just want to make my boltor even more ridiculous?

Also, just for confirmation, Primed Cryo rounds is the only primed rifle mod right now, right? Just trying to see what else I can slap on.

I picked up a Telos Boltor over the weekend and have a +94.1% crit chance + 1.7 punch-through + 38.8% fire rate riven for it. With some other mods that takes it to over 100% crit chance with a fire rate of just over 14. I'm still feeding it more forma for a sexy Hunter Munitions and Viral build. So far it's glorious.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I just realized there's actually a few big advantages to experimenting with nonmeta, unpopular weapons.

1. Rivens are cheap. Nobody cares about these weapons, so people will just take whatever for them.

2. They don't have usage stats, so they're not high on DE's nerf list.

So I guess the lesson is experiment, you might find something really cool that you never heard of before and want to take it as far as you can.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Only Wukong I've ever seen was a spectre at the Index.

I am levelling Wukong rn and he is indeed painfully blah. It's a shame cos there's loads of potential for making a magical martial arts frame.

Flytrap posted:

I just realized there's actually a few big advantages to experimenting with nonmeta, unpopular weapons.

1. Rivens are cheap. Nobody cares about these weapons, so people will just take whatever for them.

So I guess the lesson is experiment, you might find something really cool that you never heard of before and want to take it as far as you can.

It's cool because you can use whatever weapons you find fun when anything can be made good or at least passable with a bit of forma and a riven.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 21, 2018

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Fun guns >>> 'meta' guns.

Very few guns in this game are objectively worthless unless you're trying to beat hardcore endgame content with them and rivens are an amazing equaliser for all other content.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nickiepoo posted:

Fun guns >>> 'meta' guns.

:jerkbag: Most of the "meta" guns are fun.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Got my Oberon Prime in the over today :toot:
There’s lots of fun frames out there but I keep coming back to him before I even had the fancy version.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Synth Reflex and Vigilante Pursuit are now Exilus Mods

100% holster speed with a set bonus of restoring ammo to the holstered weapon and +30 enemy radar with a set bonus of 5% chance to improve crits

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
If you guys ever wanted to see every weapon in the game in action check out this playlist. Its the basis for that popular item tier list (cephalonwannab.com). You can figure out the relative power by comparing the video lengths because that is basically the time to kill the same set of enemies for each weapon. But it's also great to see a preview of how they all play.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just can't get into semi-auto or burst fire weapons. I want to hold down the trigger and just spray bullets everywhere, so that fortunately restricts the number of weapons I want to invest in.

Shotguns are definitely something I have to be in the mood for, with my favorite being the automatic one (yay, Astilla), while I just don't like the feel of stuff like Phantasma. Beam Shotguns seem weird, and the alt-fire feels awkward.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

:jerkbag: Most of the "meta" guns are fun.

And them being fun is more important than them being meta, what's your point?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The main thing I learned from those videos is that melee weapons are much better than rifles when it comes to time to kill in the simulacrum. I didn't realize melee was so strong. Similarly, there are a couple secondaries that are as fast as any primary.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Melee is insanely strong but obviously has its limitations wrt range. You also need a pile of hard to acquire mods to make it really shine.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The primary thing I learned is that, outside of a few stand out cases (in both directions, hi there Stug), most weapons average out at about the same kill time, so it's totally okay to always just pick the weapon that looks the coolest or has the neatest sound profile.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

The Shortest Path posted:

Melee is insanely strong but obviously has its limitations wrt range. You also need a pile of hard to acquire mods to make it really shine.

Guess I am going to have to start spinning to win with my Atterax. Didn't realize I was sitting on the best weapon in the game for clear speed. I know every weapon can go with every warframe, but who is a particularly good match for spinning to win?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Do you have maiming strike? You definitely want that for spin 2 win atterax.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Maiming Strike Atterax is THE most powerful weapon in the game, by a VERY wide margin (though it might get killed with Melee 3.0, which might be redoing spincrits)

Its only downside is you look like a total rear end in a top hat, so pick the frame that best suits looking like a total rear end in a top hat.

I suggest Wukong.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

You can figure out the relative power by comparing the video lengths because that is basically the time to kill the same set of enemies for each weapon. But it's also great to see a preview of how they all play.

Most videos seem to be between 1:20 and 45 seconds in length.

The simulor video is over 3 minutes long.

And my favorite the staticor is under 30 seconds.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 21, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like spin 2 win secura lecta. It's not quite as strong but it looks cooler and you get the money.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Most videos seem to be between 1:20 and 45 seconds in length.

The simulor video is over 3 minutes long.

And my favorite the staticor is under 30 seconds.

Yeah, the staticor is currently better than any primary and just about matches the atterax for clear speed. It's gonna get nerfed.

For other hilariously bad weapons, the aklato is 4:00, seer is 3:21, stug is 3:14, akvasto is 2:56, hind is 2:54, kraken is 2:47, kunai is 2:47.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, what is the method there? These could be very subjective if they don't build the weapons properly.

EDIT: Whoa, some of these builds are absolute poo poo. I might be missing something here, but that kulstar has 90 ammo reserves? Did the guy just put every single +reserves mod in it?

EDIT2: The idea of considering the video times as representative of anything can be safely disregarded. It's obvious that some of his weapons have a proper amount of forma and other's clearly don't, not to mention the weird choices in damage types on status weapons.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 21, 2018

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I know people are critical of Garuda's design, but man am I having alot of fun with her. Just jumping all over the place impaling dudes for shields and health. About the only thing I'd change on her personally is making the shield omni-directional, but other than that I really like the murder-bird.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nerdz posted:

Wait, what is the method there? These could be very subjective if they don't build the weapons properly.

EDIT: Whoa, some of these builds are absolute poo poo. I might be missing something here, but that kulstar has 90 ammo reserves? Did the guy just put every single +reserves mod in it?

EDIT2: The idea of considering the video times as representative of anything can be safely disregarded. It's obvious that some of his weapons have a proper amount of forma and other's clearly don't, not to mention the weird choices in damage types on status weapons.

pretty sure they use the builds from here: https://www.cephalonwannab.com/

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

nerdz posted:

To be fair, they do multiple builds and post the fastest and have a discord where they discuss how things could be improved - so if you think you have a better build and can run it faster - post it and they'll incorporate it. The list is highly controversial and LOTS of people get their panties in a bunch over it - but it's by far the most accurate comparison we have of weapons.

Full details are here:

https://www.cephalonwannab.com/

Keep in mind - the list is in fact highly subjective - except for the "Needs Buffs" category - those weapons are generally irredeemable even with a riven for high end content.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

Keep in mind - the list is in fact highly subjective - except for the "Needs Buffs" category - those weapons are generally irredeemable even with a riven for high end content.

Lex Prime is in the "Need Buffs" category

I would contribute to this list but instead I hope DE takes this guy at his word with the awful builds and ends up buffing weapons that I like

Edit: I also have some rivens for weapons that I absolutely hated for how weak they were and they're considered top tier so hoping for a trading price bump here

nerdz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 21, 2018

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

What's the window on PC->Switch copies, I want to get as much poo poo on my account as possible before copying (like potato and forma'ing everything since I can't bring plat)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

nerdz posted:

Lex Prime is in the "Need Buffs" category

Yes.

Feel free to argue with it, but the only accepted argument is a faster run.

Like I said - it's HIGH end content. The Lex Prime can't 1 shot lvl 100 mobs. So for high end content it sucks.

Drakgoon also sucks for high end but for low tier stuff it's amazing.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 21, 2018

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Today i learned a valuable lesson about nyx('s 1 ability)
https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleColorfulConsoleTBTacoRight
mainly that she's a horrific remorseless monster and the enemies trying to kill her are probably the ones we should be rooting for

Some people can't handle the love she brings.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Overall, I actually think these videos are pretty objective and, since the list is based on them, the list is pretty objective too. I think the main disclaimer, really, is that all the video times are +/- 5 seconds (given variations in how well they play) and they don't use any rivens. With ideal rivens the times would look completely different. Other than that, time to kill in a controlled setting is a fair way to evaluate the power of weapons. You might have another way of doing it, but that doesn't make this method less valuable. The only other concern you might have is that they didn't test every possible build. But, they do take suggestions, so feel free to hop on their discord.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

CompeAnansi posted:

Overall, I actually think these videos are pretty objective and, since the list is based on them, the list is pretty objective too. I think the main disclaimer, really, is that all the video times are +/- 5 seconds (given variations in how well they play) and they don't use any rivens. With ideal rivens the times would look completely different. Other than that, time to kill in a controlled setting is a fair way to evaluate the power of weapons. You might have another way of doing it, but that doesn't make this method less valuable. The only other concern you might have is that they didn't test every possible build. But, they do take suggestions, so feel free to hop on their discord.

Yeah - I've talked to the guy and he's chill.

The list is objective for "lvl 100 runs with no rivens".

But I sure as hell would not tell a MR 5 guy to look at that list as a source of truth on weapon quality or usefulness. This is where most of the salt over the list comes from.

People see Arca Plasmor in the bottom of the Viable list next to the Flux Rifle and their heads explode.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FileNotFound posted:

People see Arca Plasmor in the bottom of the Viable list next to the Flux Rifle and their heads explode.

I wondered about that too and if you watch the video it is because the Arca Plasmor does a poo poo job at dealing with heavily armored level 100 enemies. It loses like 15 seconds trying to kill those two. With lower level enemies it will just shred.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Another Fortuna hotfix just dropped, and I noticed this in the notes:

quote:

Fixed the Gear Spiral sometimes not letting you equip more than one item in the same group (i.e. multiple Dragon Keys, etc).

So I guess that means that being able to carry multiple Dragon Keys at once has been upgraded from "bug" to "feature"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Personal solo clear times against level 100 enemies in the sim is not a super good way to judge weapons in this game. There are so many variables going on at any given time that there's no way that it reflects what normal game play is like.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

Personal solo clear times against level 100 enemies in the sim is not a super good way to judge weapons in this game. There are so many variables going on at any given time that there's no way that it reflects what normal game play is like.

That's why they do multiple runs.

This is the way with the fewest variables. What other option is there to gauge weapon performance?

CompeAnansi posted:

I wondered about that too and if you watch the video it is because the Arca Plasmor does a poo poo job at dealing with heavily armored level 100 enemies. It loses like 15 seconds trying to kill those two. With lower level enemies it will just shred.

Exactly that and paired with long reload make it perform poorly against 100s - which you generally aren't going to face.

As to why it's 100s vs say 60s which would be overall a fairer playing field for most weapons is that basically at level 60 you don't see that vast of a difference in kill times.

So you get to see Vectis Prime seen as a top gun - for killing 100s - but it would be tedious as hell to use it at lower tier content where a Plasmor would 1 shot entire packs.

Which is why it's a terrible list for low rank players as many of the "viable" guns are actually REALLY good for lowbies.

The very reason it's lvl 100 mobs is because there is way too little difference in kill times at lower levels.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Also, even packs of level 100 enemies aren't comprised exclusively of Corrupted Bombards. One or two wallops with the Arca Plasmor will still dissolve everything but the Bombards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean in a perfect world you'll have a weapon for clearing trash and other to instantly erase heavies and they might both suck at the opposite tasks. Some weapon/frame combinations will truly make them shine. This test is for how a weapon handles all of those by itself with 0 assistance. I like the idea but it sure needs more work.

I'm looking around the website/git/discord and I still haven't seen where they put the method (how many of each enemy, any other guidelines etc)

EDIT: However, I have found that one of the admins of the discord is called "Kalgash, Hypocritical Nazi" with an anime avatar and is not afraid to use the n word

nerdz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 21, 2018