Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

close outside of winter? Like you mean they do close in winter or don't close?

Sorry I hosed up my sentence. I mean I've never seen a DQ close seasonally, like they're just any other fast food place around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

DrNutt posted:

Sorry I hosed up my sentence. I mean I've never seen a DQ close seasonally, like they're just any other fast food place around here.

A bunch of the original franchises in rural Minnesota shutdown during winter. They tend to be located by parks, swimming pools and baseball fields. Once the summer is over foot traffic drops and there is no reason to keep it open.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Remulak posted:

I knew a dude that owned a summer-only dq. Worked 14/7 from memorial to Labor Day, then spent the rest of the year high as poo poo in Florida fishing all day.

He was very happy.

Yeah, I worked for one in high school that stayed open winters, but only did hot dogs for hot food, in the upper midwest. Mostly just sold cakes all winter, but it was a great gig for a student who didn't mind making a buck over minimum wage to serve six customers all day and do homework in between.

Their profit margins in the summer are amazing, though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I walked by a Barnes and Noble today that had some signage in their window that presented them as #1 in the most trusted brands.

As a former employee of 5 years and a store manager I just couldn't wrap my head around that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

I walked by a Barnes and Noble today that had some signage in their window that presented them as #1 in the most trusted brands.

As a former employee of 5 years and a store manager I just couldn't wrap my head around that.

Well there aren't a lot of B&M bookstore brands out there. Being #1 of three or whatever isn't that much of an accomplishment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

withak posted:

Well there aren't a lot of B&M bookstore brands out there. Being #1 of three or whatever isn't that much of an accomplishment.

Amazon was number 2. I guess if you have zero clue what books to get your 11 year old niece it would make sense to just walk into an actual book store and ask.

That's what ate up my time most. Being a personal shopper for some lady with a list of names. That and searching for "That book that is blue and it was on NPR/Fox News this morning."

One time someone asked if we had "those books with all the words in it."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beastie posted:

One time someone asked if we had "those books with all the words in it."

thesaurus

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I offered her a dictionary and she said "No the other one, a theosauraus"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, J.C. Penney reported another quarter of bad results ($164 million loss) with a 5.4% comparative sales drop, which, not shockingly, led to the stock to plummet to $1.04 to start the day. But, the weird Mr. Market part, was that it ended the day up at $1.36. Truly, the Free Market knows best... :thunk:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

David's Bridal is bankrupt.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BrandorKP posted:

Millenials strike again!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

This article is not shocking, suggesting that the retailers with the biggest risk of having (another) bad holiday season are Sears, J.C. Penney, Neiman Marcus, Hudson's Bay and Barnes & Noble.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Thriftshops, local cleaners and desperate cupcake bakeries strike again.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I've definitely noticed an attempt for B&N to branch out what they're selling in recent times. Besides a coffee shop and of course books, they usually have a board game section (a good selection too, best variety you'll find short of a specialized gaming store), toys/model kits/funko pop/etc section, card/party games, an ebook reader area, music (sometimes including vinyl), and then a general "gifts/stuff" area (fancy gift cards, tchotchkes, pens, etc). I don't know if diversifying like that will be enough to save them, but it's nice to see & fun to browse.

StealthArcher posted:

On the other hand, I've only seen one DQ go out of business.

In Yellowknife, NT, where they couldn't ever hope to pay what they wanted for staff and at the end wound up being illegaly staffed by preteens.
I'm kind of amazed there was a DQ in the Yukon to begin with. I mean, props to the guy founding it, talk about literally selling ice cream to Eskimos Inuit.

QuarkJets posted:

In college we had a fat gay guy in our social group and one time he introduced himself as The Dairy Queen
This guy sounds awesome.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
They've always done music, and at least out here, were a good source for 'world music' stuff back before it was a click away on Amazon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Zero_Grade posted:

I've definitely noticed an attempt for B&N to branch out what they're selling in recent times. Besides a coffee shop and of course books, they usually have a board game section (a good selection too, best variety you'll find short of a specialized gaming store), toys/model kits/funko pop/etc section, card/party games, an ebook reader area, music (sometimes including vinyl), and then a general "gifts/stuff" area (fancy gift cards, tchotchkes, pens, etc). I don't know if diversifying like that will be enough to save them, but it's nice to see & fun to browse.
I'm kind of amazed there was a DQ in the Yukon to begin with. I mean, props to the guy founding it, talk about literally selling ice cream to Eskimos Inuit.
Next step is to go full board game cafe ala Mox Boarding House. :getin:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If they served alcohol at the B&N near me it would 100% be a shitshow.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1065035847626645504?s=19

Don't forget Gap on your death watch lists.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I would assume that Old Navy does enough sales for them to support Gap through a transition. Gap Inc is Zapados, Banana Republic, ON, and some women's fitness outlet.

I could see them lopping off some of those other brands before they even consider shelving Gap.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

This article is not shocking, suggesting that the retailers with the biggest risk of having (another) bad holiday season are Sears, J.C. Penney, Neiman Marcus, Hudson's Bay and Barnes & Noble.

Sears is already bankrupt, it can't really get much worse for them.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Gap has high debt but it’s nowhere near an anchor. JCrew is actually in death status and Gap might actually capture some of those customers from them and other doomed apparel companies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Gap seems like it has a brand beyond it's physical stores and if at some point they said 'we are an online store now" or that they sell their clothes at some other store I think everyone would go 'yeah okay" and not really blink. Them owning physical stores at malls seems pretty minor to them being what they are at this point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1065276435705864192?s=21

On a positive they say they’re going to open 30 smaller stores in city centers and hire more people than they’re laying off but who knows.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zero_Grade posted:

This guy sounds awesome.

I'm not going to lie, it was rather fun browsing through a redesigned B&N, and yeah their boardgame selection was rather good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not going to lie, it was rather fun browsing through a redesigned B&N, and yeah their boardgame selection was rather good.

If you didn't buy anything then it was all for naught. From my experience 80% of people are there to buy one specific thing. It's either a book from the best seller list, or a calendar.

I used to restock the games and toys section and it was always just moving things, never actually replacing items that were bought.

B&N's biggest problem isn't foot traffic. It's attachment rate. So many people come in the store to buy 1 specific thing and leave. Or they ask help finding something, take a pic of the ISBN, and order it off of Amazon.

It's why their holiday campaign is literally "Please ask our expert booksellers how to buy a gift for your 10 year old nephew that you know is a reader, but you are not a reader."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Beastie posted:

If you didn't buy anything then it was all for naught. From my experience 80% of people are there to buy one specific thing. It's either a book from the best seller list, or a calendar.

I used to restock the games and toys section and it was always just moving things, never actually replacing items that were bought.

B&N's biggest problem isn't foot traffic. It's attachment rate. So many people come in the store to buy 1 specific thing and leave. Or they ask help finding something, take a pic of the ISBN, and order it off of Amazon.

It's why their holiday campaign is literally "Please ask our expert booksellers how to buy a gift for your 10 year old nephew that you know is a reader, but you are not a reader."

That's fair. I was traveling, but I did notice that the gunpla kits were somewhat expensive. But I'll certainly go there again when I hadn't walked into a B&N once for a decade.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

To be clear, I'm in no way chastising you for browsing. Browsing is fine.

It's the chucklefucks that ask for help in finding 5 different travel books on Spain, go to the cafe, read them for an hour and leave.

Travel, Crafts, and Cookbooks were the biggest victim of this and it is a huge time sink.

People treat the place like a library all the time. Someone once called to ask for the phone number for the pizza place across town. The employees are too busy chasing down poo poo for people that have no intention of buying.

Edit: So this isn't completely "Former Retail Woes" I'll give my opinion on how B&N could turn it around. You stock less books. Gut a shitload of the sections. Reduce your total store inventory by something like 50%.

You cut magazines down to 10 or so per category, not the 30-40 they have now. Either that or ditch magazines completely. The stores spend so much of their payroll on stocking books into sections that only sell an average of 15 unique titles, yet the section has 500 unique titles.

That or do some sneaky poo poo where you stock book #1 and #3, but not #2. That way people will have to order #2 from you, and they'll end up buying 3 right then and there because why not?

Beastie fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 21, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Force customers of B&N to run "The Gauntlet".

To reach the registers and buy a book, they must carry a container on their head and run through two parallel lines of employees throwing refrigerator magnets, keychains, miniature figurines, pocket-sized puzzles, nasty candy, wacky pens, and all the other worthless crap they already seem to want you to buy more than books.

Anything that lands in the container, the customer must purchase. Presumably these items will be stocking stuffer gifts for a wall-eyed nephew, or birthday presents for a coworker who takes loud smelly dumps and forgets to flush.

If the customer makes it to the register without anything landing in the container, they will be allowed to buy their book and only their book. However, they must sign up for a store credit card.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 22, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Beastie posted:

To be clear, I'm in no way chastising you for browsing. Browsing is fine.

It's the chucklefucks that ask for help in finding 5 different travel books on Spain, go to the cafe, read them for an hour and leave.

Travel, Crafts, and Cookbooks were the biggest victim of this and it is a huge time sink.

People treat the place like a library all the time. Someone once called to ask for the phone number for the pizza place across town. The employees are too busy chasing down poo poo for people that have no intention of buying.

Edit: So this isn't completely "Former Retail Woes" I'll give my opinion on how B&N could turn it around. You stock less books. Gut a shitload of the sections. Reduce your total store inventory by something like 50%.

You cut magazines down to 10 or so per category, not the 30-40 they have now. Either that or ditch magazines completely. The stores spend so much of their payroll on stocking books into sections that only sell an average of 15 unique titles, yet the section has 500 unique titles.

That or do some sneaky poo poo where you stock book #1 and #3, but not #2. That way people will have to order #2 from you, and they'll end up buying 3 right then and there because why not?

This is a sound strategy. The only B&N I've been to recently is like 3 stories. I really doubt they move all the poo poo in there. Inventory is dead cash.

They should probably downsize and be more like an upscale airport/train station bookstore. Only stuff that really moves. Maybe have same day delivery to store or something.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The B&N in my neighborhood is tied to a local college, with the bottom floor being a normal bookstore open to the public, and the second selling textbooks, school supplies, etc, and that seems to be working out alright for them. I don't go in that often (there's a cool independent book and record shop, this rad place, and a public library in the area as well, and I usually try to hit them up first), but I'm still kinda glad it's there.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

skooma512 posted:

This is a sound strategy. The only B&N I've been to recently is like 3 stories. I really doubt they move all the poo poo in there. Inventory is dead cash.

They should probably downsize and be more like an upscale airport/train station bookstore. Only stuff that really moves. Maybe have same day delivery to store or something.

B&N-esqe bookstore I worked at 80% of our unsold stock would get returned and refunded.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my first job in 2002 was in the music section. we still had a small area for cassette tapes

i haven't been to that B&N since maybe 2004 even though i live close to it. no idea if the music section is even still there

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hand Row posted:

Gap has high debt but it’s nowhere near an anchor. JCrew is actually in death status and Gap might actually capture some of those customers from them and other doomed apparel companies.

J Crew seems like kinda a weird one, they have some very nice looking and decently fitting stuff and I like them, but always seems way too expensive for what it is. I much prefer to go to Uniqlo or H&M

Same thing with banana republic, I guess they try to exude more upscaleness with a price tag that most people can’t afford and those that can just shop at actual upscale stuff? Idk

It’s maybe too late but if they could get their prices down (and it’s all Indonesian sweatshop poo poo already being made for peanuts) then maybe they can turn around and get more sales?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FCKGW posted:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1065276435705864192?s=21

On a positive they say they’re going to open 30 smaller stores in city centers and hire more people than they’re laying off but who knows.

My city used to have a mid-sized Ikea when I was a kid and it was insanely popular but it got shut down out of some corporate mandate dictating minimum store size, and they've said my city is too small ever since to get a new one. I don't really need ikea, but it would be nice to see the smaller stores return.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
poo poo I’d be happy with a local ikea that only carried the home goods stuff. I find myself wanting x or y non-furniture ikea good from time to time but it’s never worth the hassle of going to Ikea.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The ikea near me has its own sign on the freeway exit that says "IKEA COMMERCIAL TOURIST DISTRICT" as if it's a local attraction. For all I know it is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eyebeem posted:

poo poo I’d be happy with a local ikea that only carried the home goods stuff. I find myself wanting x or y non-furniture ikea good from time to time but it’s never worth the hassle of going to Ikea.

Problem with that is that all the under-costed poo poo that Ikea sells is there to get you to buy furniture.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Xaris posted:

J Crew seems like kinda a weird one, they have some very nice looking and decently fitting stuff and I like them, but always seems way too expensive for what it is. I much prefer to go to Uniqlo or H&M

JCrew are running into the same thing that hosed Toys R Us, leveraged buyout from private equity. Then don’t have the money to invest when you have brand identity problems.

Also not sure if it’s completely true, but at the brand I work at J Crew is the go to example for a discounting vortex. They are desperate for sales to save the company so they do 40% deals. Now your customers won’t buy unless it’s 40. You want more customers, so you do 45 off. Now you reset the expectation and so on. And you are now getting sales with barely any margin.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

As a white person, I visit GAP and J Crew sometimes but the latter almost never has sales, yeah. However GAP always has something like 40% off shirts or whatnot and I just buy a bunch at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The ikea near me has its own sign on the freeway exit that says "IKEA COMMERCIAL TOURIST DISTRICT" as if it's a local attraction. For all I know it is.

I do believe the signage for the Elizabeth Marine Terminal on the Turnpike has a mention of Ikea on it. That's pretty mind blowing if I'm remembering correctly considering...just how massive the Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal is.