Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hey, so I've done this in past for other services with referrals. It's a Google Sheet that provides random links to referral services that we can all put what we have on. Anyone can edit the tabs for the existing cards, but if you have a new card you want to add, PM me and I'll add a line item and tab for it.

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

For not it has Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Discover IT. Basically when you load the page it randomly gives you one from each of the pages.

Let me know if this is alright, if not I'll kill it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I can't PM, but if you add

- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (No AF 3% Grocery)
and
- AMEX Everyday (I got it for 0% BT APR/Fee but that seems to be gone now, but still useful for increasing your credit limit and transferring that to another AMEX if you want)

I have links for both of those.

Citi Double Cash doesn't give a direct link but instead asks for the referree's email. So maybe create one that we can put OUR email in and have a user contact us to add them?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Girbot posted:

I can't PM, but if you add

- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (No AF 3% Grocery)
and
- AMEX Everyday (I got it for 0% BT APR/Fee but that seems to be gone now, but still useful for increasing your credit limit and transferring that to another AMEX if you want)

I have links for both of those.

Citi Double Cash doesn't give a direct link but instead asks for the referree's email. So maybe create one that we can put OUR email in and have a user contact us to add them?

Added, let me know if it's working.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, it's working.

Turns out that AMEX allows you to refer for any card in the family. So instead of having a separate entry for every AMEX, you can just have a standard AMEX entry and allow the user to pick which card they want by linking the card selection page. The bonus the referrer gets is dependent on which card they selected when creating the referral link.

If you click on the link you create, there's an option to "View all cards with a referral offer", if we shared the url on that page it would avoid clutter and anyone with any AMEX can get a referral bonus of their choosing regardless of what card is applied for.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'll switch it. Thanks!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I have the following cards that I actually use:

BoA AAA Visa - 2% cash back on gas/drugstores
Uber Visa - 2% off online purchases and my AT&T bill is on it for the $600 phone insurance.
Amex Gold - The upgraded 250 AF card. It’s my daily card I use for restaurants and groceries. 4x on those categories. The $10/month dining credit gets used as I work right next to Shake Shack.

I have about 90k MR and really nothing else as far as points since most of my cards are cash back. The only other card that seemed interesting was the Fidelity 2% I can use to passively contribute to my son’s 529.

If I wanted to start racking up some points for travel purposes would it be recommended to head down the r/churning flowchart path of CSR/CSP rewards? Credit score is 814 and I’m sitting at 1/24 as far as inquiries go.

Maybe Amex Plat if I can get a 100k offer?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I have the following cards that I actually use:

BoA AAA Visa - 2% cash back on gas/drugstores
Uber Visa - 2% off online purchases and my AT&T bill is on it for the $600 phone insurance.
Amex Gold - The upgraded 250 AF card. It’s my daily card I use for restaurants and groceries. 4x on those categories. The $10/month dining credit gets used as I work right next to Shake Shack.

I have about 90k MR and really nothing else as far as points since most of my cards are cash back. The only other card that seemed interesting was the Fidelity 2% I can use to passively contribute to my son’s 529.

If I wanted to start racking up some points for travel purposes would it be recommended to head down the r/churning flowchart path of CSR/CSP rewards? Credit score is 814 and I’m sitting at 1/24 as far as inquiries go.

Maybe Amex Plat if I can get a 100k offer?

Yeah, the Chase cards are a great place to start for bonuses since they tend to have the most restrictive rules, followed by Barclays and now BoA. Just be advised that with the newer restrictions from Chase, if you want both the CSP and CSR bonuses (and you can manage $8k in spend in 3 months), you more or less have to apply for the CSR/CSP on consecutive days. If you have a friend or family member with the CSP, they can send a referral your way and it'll kick them back some points as well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Here's my csp link.

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/m/6A/6L5/FTK9/1548643622

And a Chase freedom unlimited.

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/m/18/6L5/FTVB/1544942704

Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited. I can be rewarded, learn more.

I'll add a page to the sheet when I get home. I didn't realize they had referrals.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

astral posted:

Yeah, the Chase cards are a great place to start for bonuses since they tend to have the most restrictive rules, followed by Barclays and now BoA. Just be advised that with the newer restrictions from Chase, if you want both the CSP and CSR bonuses (and you can manage $8k in spend in 3 months), you more or less have to apply for the CSR/CSP on consecutive days. If you have a friend or family member with the CSP, they can send a referral your way and it'll kick them back some points as well.

Thanks. I did read about the Chase modified double dip but I’d need to time it or more likely just have to put rent on the cards @ 2.5% markup in order to generate the $8k minimum spend. That’s still probably worth the 100k UR points.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
You could also open up a checking account that allows you to fund with a credit card and codes as a purchase (as opposed to cash advance) for the specific card you'll be using.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Added more columns the chase cards

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I got an alert from Credit Karma saying a remark has been added to one of my citibank cards. I logged in to see what was up, and a remark saying I've been affected by a natural disaster was added. I have not been affected by one.

Do you think this matters? I make all my payments on time and never carry a balance.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I got an alert from Credit Karma saying a remark has been added to one of my citibank cards. I logged in to see what was up, and a remark saying I've been affected by a natural disaster was added. I have not been affected by one.

Do you think this matters? I make all my payments on time and never carry a balance.

Call Citibank to confirm. Don’t leave things sitting on a credit report if it’s not true.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The remarks don't mean a lick unless you're going to be taking out a mortgage or a business loan and someone will be manually reviewing your file.

It doesn't affect your credit score at all.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have good reason to believe that someone I know might try to steal my identity. Nothing has happened yet and I could be totally wrong about this, but I’d like to protect myself just in case. What’s the easiest way to freeze my credit report in 2018? And is there anything else I should preemptively do?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have good reason to believe that someone I know might try to steal my identity. Nothing has happened yet and I could be totally wrong about this, but I’d like to protect myself just in case. What’s the easiest way to freeze my credit report in 2018? And is there anything else I should preemptively do?

Set a fraud alert/warning with one bureau and it'll go all three.

Just go to each bureau's website and freeze your credit. It's free now.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I'm looking for some advice. I've been pre-approved for the SPG Amex Luxury card for 125k points. Which seems like a lot, but every time I've looked at redeeming the 90k points I already have I can maybe get 2 nights of a basic room.

I would probably otherwise jump at this card, but the $450 annual fee and the $300 credit for in-property purchases isn't very appealing. We have Global Entry from a handful of other cards, so we're all covered for the next few years. And we have Priority Pass and no foreign transaction fees from our Chase CSR.

Is there any reason to get the SPG card? Is it only really valuable to frequent Marriott visitors? Does anyone know about upcoming changes to the SPG rewards system? I have until December 7th to apply, I've been waffling for a few weeks now, and I just don't think I can justify the annual fee since the CSR charges the same and offers more appealing rewards and travel insurance. Thanks in advance!

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VorpalBunny posted:

I'm looking for some advice. I've been pre-approved for the SPG Amex Luxury card for 125k points. Which seems like a lot, but every time I've looked at redeeming the 90k points I already have I can maybe get 2 nights of a basic room.

I would probably otherwise jump at this card, but the $450 annual fee and the $300 credit for in-property purchases isn't very appealing. We have Global Entry from a handful of other cards, so we're all covered for the next few years. And we have Priority Pass and no foreign transaction fees from our Chase CSR.

Is there any reason to get the SPG card? Is it only really valuable to frequent Marriott visitors? Does anyone know about upcoming changes to the SPG rewards system? I have until December 7th to apply, I've been waffling for a few weeks now, and I just don't think I can justify the annual fee since the CSR charges the same and offers more appealing rewards and travel insurance. Thanks in advance!

I stay at Marriott frequently for work, and I still don't think it's worth it.

Caveat emptor, but I'll stick to the Marriott cards by Chase, especially given how unpredictable AmEx is.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The SPG card used to be insanely valuable because of the large number of partners you could transfer points to. Starwood has been bought out by Marriott, and the SPG program has been merged into Marriott's, which is significantly less valuable. There's no real reason to get an SPG rewards card now.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

saintonan posted:

The SPG card used to be insanely valuable because of the large number of partners you could transfer points to. Starwood has been bought out by Marriott, and the SPG program has been merged into Marriott's, which is significantly less valuable. There's no real reason to get an SPG rewards card now.

Marriott has the same transfer partners and 125k is slightly more than the old best offer of 35k. It's about the same if you can use the credit and the lower fee card is slightly worse if the offer is still 100k on it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like the non-referral bonus on the Chase Freedom Unlimited has been increased to $200:

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back-credit-cards/chase-freedom-unlimited

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
How many personal chase cards can you have before chase will reject you (have 4)? Under 5/24, can't churn any sapphires with the new 48m rule, so debating biting for the cash back bonus with the CSR.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Isn't it a 24m rule?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Girbot posted:

Isn't it a 24m rule?

No sapphire bonus if you've received in the last 48m now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

astral posted:

Set a fraud alert/warning with one bureau and it'll go all three.

Just go to each bureau's website and freeze your credit. It's free now.

Thanks. The fraud warning is something I do on top of the credit freezing then?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/tech/marriott-hotels-hacked/index.html

Marriott reveals data breach of 500 million Starwood guests

quote:

New York (CNN Business)Marriott says its guest reservation system has been hacked, potentially exposing the personal information of approximately 500 million guests.

The hotel chain said Friday the hack affects its Starwood reservation database, a group of hotels it bought in 2016 that includes the St. Regis, Westin, Sheraton and W Hotels.
Marriott said hackers had gained "unauthorized access" to the Starwood reservation system since 2014, but the company only identified the issue last week.
"The company recently discovered that an unauthorized party had copied and encrypted information, and took steps towards removing it," Marriott said in a statement.
For 327 million people, Marriott says the guests' exposed information includes their names, phone numbers, email addresses, passport numbers, date of birth and arrival and departure information. For millions others, their credit card numbers and card expiration dates were potentially compromised.
Marriott warns that it can't confirm if the hackers were able to decrypt the credit card numbers.
"We fell short of what our guests deserve and what we expect of ourselves. We are doing everything we can to support our guests, and using lessons learned to be better moving forward," said CEO Arne Sorenson in a statement.
The hotel chain said it has reported the hack to law enforcement. Marriott said it will begin emailing guests affected by the breach and has created an informational website.
Marriott's (MAR) stock is plunging on the news, falling nearly 6% in premarket trading. The combined company has 5,700 properties in more than 110 countries.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Have a few questions about my first credit card.

Background: I finally opened my first credit card, since I'm planning to move out on my own with no roommates for the first time at some point in the next year, and realized that because I had literally no credit score, there was no loving way I would be able to do this in NYC. In the past I've had roommates who have had good credit, or used my parents as a guarantor, but with my dad retiring and my dream of getting a studio, I'm workin on getting my credit in shape.

I thought about applying to a nice, proper card - I do have a good income, and a decent amount of money in the bank, and while I'm 25 I have no student loan debt since I dropped out (if you read all that and went "ew, software engineer," yeah :shobon:) - but, given that my couple of attempts at getting nice cards in the past had led to rejections, I decided to just go ahead and get a secured card.

Anyways, I got a Discover secured card, just did a $500 deposit on it (meaning a $500 limit), and I've now gone from no credit at all to a brand-new 680 according to NerdWallet. My questions:

- I see a lot of things saying that you should try to keep your credit at no more than 30% of your limit (including NerdWallet), and some even saying not to go over 15%. Do you reckon this would apply to a card with a limit as low as $500, or is this only applicable to cards with higher limits?

- This is one that's completely baffling to me: I'm pretty sure that Discover lets you pay off your balance any time you want, as often as you want, before the due date. However, I have had several people tell me it is worse for your score to immediately pay off your balance as soon as a transaction clears and you're able to, and that instead I should try to wait and do a payment once a month (of course still before the due date!). Is that true or nonsense? If I'm supposed to stay under 30% of my limit, then that would mean I can basically use this card for a grand total of $150 of purchases a month, which... makes any cashback benefits extremely moot :v:

- Long term, how should I guess the timing on me getting a "better" credit card? Most of the cards on NerdWallet say they have a recommended minimum of 690, which I'll hopefully be at soon, but I've also seen a lot of things saying you should avoid opening a new credit card less than six months after your last one.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You don't want to max or come close to maxing out that $500. Utilization factors are said to have no memory, which means if you do have high utilization in a month, the next time it reports that's the utilization that gets considered.

The bank reports your statement balances to the reporting agencies, or on a certain point in the month depending on the bank. If you've paid everything off before your statement, it can look similar on your report to you not using the card at all. What banks want to see is responsible use of credit - not irresponsible use, not no use.

Chase (and other banks) usually likes to see a year of credit history before giving you a card.

The other place you can get a decent card while building credit is a secured card from Capital One.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

Have a few questions about my first credit card.

Background: I finally opened my first credit card, since I'm planning to move out on my own with no roommates for the first time at some point in the next year, and realized that because I had literally no credit score, there was no loving way I would be able to do this in NYC. In the past I've had roommates who have had good credit, or used my parents as a guarantor, but with my dad retiring and my dream of getting a studio, I'm workin on getting my credit in shape.

I thought about applying to a nice, proper card - I do have a good income, and a decent amount of money in the bank, and while I'm 25 I have no student loan debt since I dropped out (if you read all that and went "ew, software engineer," yeah :shobon:) - but, given that my couple of attempts at getting nice cards in the past had led to rejections, I decided to just go ahead and get a secured card.

Anyways, I got a Discover secured card, just did a $500 deposit on it (meaning a $500 limit), and I've now gone from no credit at all to a brand-new 680 according to NerdWallet. My questions:

- I see a lot of things saying that you should try to keep your credit at no more than 30% of your limit (including NerdWallet), and some even saying not to go over 15%. Do you reckon this would apply to a card with a limit as low as $500, or is this only applicable to cards with higher limits?

- This is one that's completely baffling to me: I'm pretty sure that Discover lets you pay off your balance any time you want, as often as you want, before the due date. However, I have had several people tell me it is worse for your score to immediately pay off your balance as soon as a transaction clears and you're able to, and that instead I should try to wait and do a payment once a month (of course still before the due date!). Is that true or nonsense? If I'm supposed to stay under 30% of my limit, then that would mean I can basically use this card for a grand total of $150 of purchases a month, which... makes any cashback benefits extremely moot :v:

- Long term, how should I guess the timing on me getting a "better" credit card? Most of the cards on NerdWallet say they have a recommended minimum of 690, which I'll hopefully be at soon, but I've also seen a lot of things saying you should avoid opening a new credit card less than six months after your last one.

Let's say your due date is January 1st. Any payments you make with the card between now and December 31st will be added to your monthly statement that will be generated and sent to you. You then will have until February 1st to make either

A. the minimum payment (don't do this)
B. payment of the full amount (do this)

I just set my credit cards to all pull the full amount from my checking account every month - never have to worry about anything. You have to let the statement generate after January 1st in order for the balance of your debt to be sent from Discover to the credit agencies. Then when you log into Credit Karma in the middle of the month, you'll see your outstanding debt. If you buy something today and pay it off on Discover's website tomorrow, the credit bureaus have no record of it happening.

IIRC you can ask Discover to upgrade your secured card to a Discover It cashback card and they're pretty nice about it, so maybe call and ask them if you'd qualify/how many on-time payments you have to make before you'd qualify

Good luck!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Yes the 30%/15% thing counts even when you have a low limit, but don't worry about it. It only takes into account your current utilization rate based almost always on your last statement. This means you just need to make sure to pay down the card the month before you actually need to use your credit.

You probably want to avoid having a $0 balance reported (based on the date the statement is generated). You could in theory make multiple payments and keep your utilization down, but I find this overcomplicates things. If you do this make sure you're making always making a payment AFTER the statement comes in and BEFORE the due date at least equal to the listed statement balance to avoid paying interest. If you just want to build your credit you can simply put a recurring subscription on it like your cell phone bill or netflix, put it on autopay and stick it in a drawer.
Having a $0 balance reported isn't really a significant issue either, so don't worry much about it.

Your Discover secured card should "graduate" to the non-secured version after about a year, you would probably qualify for rewards cards then. 6 months I'd say is 50/50 for most reward cards but the credit hit for applying for 1-2 of them is insignificant so feel free to try.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wait 3-6 months and you should be able to request a credit limit increase from Discover online, without a hard pull

e: actually not sure if that’s true since you have a secured card

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

svenkatesh posted:

Wait 3-6 months and you should be able to request a credit limit increase from Discover online, without a hard pull

e: actually not sure if that’s true since you have a secured card

I don't think you'll ever be able to tell whether hitting the 'credit increase request' button on a bank site will trigger a hard pull. I think it's safe to assume it will always trigger one, and you'll have to check a disclaimer saying as such. Otherwise if your life took a turn for the worse you could request a credit increase on all your cards then skip the country.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Any recommendations for a card that has a 0% balance transfer period of at least 9-12 months and might cough up a high credit limit despite a middling (mid 600s) credit score? Looking at Wells Fargo Propel, Wells Fargo Cash Wise, AMEX blue cash everyday, BoA Cash Rewards, Chase Slate, Discover It, Citi Simplicity... many choices and I feel in over my head. But I don't want to just try because my chance of approval goes down with every attempt. Best to start with Slate since the credit requirements seem the lowest?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Any recommendations for a card that has a 0% balance transfer period of at least 9-12 months and might cough up a high credit limit despite a middling (mid 600s) credit score? Looking at Wells Fargo Propel, Wells Fargo Cash Wise, AMEX blue cash everyday, BoA Cash Rewards, Chase Slate, Discover It, Citi Simplicity... many choices and I feel in over my head. But I don't want to just try because my chance of approval goes down with every attempt. Best to start with Slate since the credit requirements seem the lowest?

The Chase Slate is a good option that (I believe) offers more than 12mo, 0%APR, $0 balance transfer fee although I'm afraid I don't know about how they determine your creditworthiness. I've used the Citi Simplicity before, but I believe that one has a 3% balance transfer fee. Keep in mind that if you're transferring a balance from another credit card, the credit card you get to transfer it to can not be from the same card issuer. IIRC, Wells Fargo Propel had a lower approval percentage for people who didn't have accounts with WF already - although that may have been the Propel World card, which I'm not sure is offered anymore.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

You might want to research the Chase Freedom card. 0% on balance transfers for 15 months provided you're not transferring from another Chase card.

The Points Guy list it as a card obtainable with mid-600 and up range.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/strategies-for-low-credit-scores/

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Assuming you're not needing to transfer from another AMEX card and you have another AMEX with available credit that you don't need I'd say the AMEX Everyday (Non-Blue*) is the best current offer further assuming you meet the credit score.

- 0% interest for 15 months
- 0% intro transfer fee (*Blue charges 3% with $5 minimum)
- You can transfer part of your credit limit from another AMEX card to this one.

I have no idea what they require for credit, so I'd look into that first. You can check for per-qualified offers here. A positive result isn't a guarantee you'll be approved, but a negative result is highly likely that you wouldn't be.

*The Blue Cash Everyday will net you $200 after $1000 in spending within 3 months, so if you're going to spend on the card too, that might recover your BT fee if you go that route. That said, the Everyday will net you 250,000 Member Rewards ($250) but requires $3000 in spending within 3 months.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 14, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
FYI my Citi Diamond card allows balance transfers to a checking account, which can In turn use to pay off whatever card I want, bypassing restrictions on card to card transfers with the same merchant. I’ve never dealt with transfers from other merchants but I would suspect they offer something similar?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m staying in Florida for about a month and a half and thinking of renting a car during the weekends.

I have collision coverage through my Chase Visa but have literally never used it.

Do I just decline anything they offer me at the rental company? Or is there any sort of complementary coverage I should be getting for stuff the card won’t cover?

I don’t have a car or insurance of any other kind, fyi.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I think Amex told me to decline collision coverage from the agency but liability was not covered so accept liability coverage from the agency. You could always call customer service to confirm

E: yup.

CaptainJuan posted:

Talked to Amex customer service, they say I should decline collision damage from the rental agency and take the liability coverage and I'll be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

CaptainJuan posted:

I think Amex told me to decline collision coverage from the agency but liability was not covered so accept liability coverage from the agency. You could always call customer service to confirm

E: yup.

Liability coverage is provided automatically by the rental agency, but it's almost always at state-minimums.

I have an umbrella policy which covers liability on rental cars above that, but if you don't have it - yeah it's almost definitely going to be worth it to get additional liability from the rental agency.

You can also sometimes get a non-owner policy from insurers and if you rent enough its definitely worth the cost, but if you just rent once or twice a year, it would be cheaper to pay from the agency.