Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAUXTON posted:

That's impressive even with the "lol wells fargo" factor.

we joke about sending our de-risked clients to WF, because wells don't give a fuuuuuck

This was 2009, so I think the prime rate then was 3.50% or something.

I'm sure today WF offers it at 9.50% or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Credit cards go that low? Jesus. Mine are both are 24%

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Credit cards go that low? Jesus. Mine are both are 24%

Keep in mind these are employee cards so underwriting is a breeze unless they want a limit increase.

Capone keeps throwing increases at me like I need them - I started with a $1500 limit in like 2013 and now it's 7k. I've never asked for an increase, I've never carried a balance for more than a month or two, but I guess they plan on me using $7k at some point.

I get no kind of cash back or points or anything, though. They used to ask me about upgrading but then I wouldn't have this lil guy on the card:

idgaf if it's bwm if I can't have graeme on my card no deal mofos

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like the most charitable reading of that is "he's heard it so many times he's just numb to it by now" and that's what I'm choosing to believe.

Honestly, he reads as cripplingly depressed to me. He's not so much ignoring it as incapable of dealing with it at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This was posted right after the last bitcoin surge at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018.

quote:

My [23M] friends [20-28MF] are being roped into investing in Bitcoin. Is it in my place to advise them otherwise?

Most does not fully know how Bitcoin works. They are being told that Bitcoin crash is impossible (indirectly), only that slumps are possible.

I am worried about them. They're taking bank loans out to tune of £15k or so to invest.

I do not think it's bad idea to invest in Bitcoin but that's only if you have a strong knowledge of how it works.

Is it in my place to advise them otherwise? Has anyone noticed similar trend? How do I help?

TLDR; Bitcoin is going up, dozens of people advising my friends to invest and they do not fully know how it works. Is it my business to advise them otherwise?

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7v2kx2/my_23m_friends_2028mf_are_being_roped_into/

He didn't say anything to his poor friends.

Remember kids, if your friends or loved ones start talking about fiat currency, are running up $1,300 per month electricity bills, and denying their children $3 pizza because they need it for the crypto fund... don't be silent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 21, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I had to double check the boyfriend's age in the title.

quote:

My (F22) boyfriend (M31) of 2+ years can't decide on a job. He changes his mind about the job he wants at least every month.

This is getting frustrating. I didn't care when I was younger because I was lazy. Now I'm getting worried how he doesn't see or care he's in trouble.

He jumps from one thing to another. It's included pro football player, competitive world of warcraft player, brain surgeon, cultivating marijuana, opening a cannabis dispensary, building a business from his home brewing experimentation, popular youtuber, professional "pickup artist" coach, Hollywood director, making a crypto currency like bitcoin, NSA hacker, storm chaser, ranching cattle out west, and currently he's into becoming a professional clown.

He refuses to have a boss. Or start at any sort of entry or beginner level. Whatever he's into at any time, he's imagining immediately being the best, on his own, at the top. Eventually when he's forced to realize how much work it'd take to get there, he drops it and picks up another idea to obsess over until the same thing happens.

I explain all this, and he just says that because he's creative he can't be constrained or it will "kill his soul." Says he'd rather be poor and homeless because at least he'd still have his freedom. He also said I'm unsupportive but I've helped him make his resume as appealing as possible, sent him dozens of job postings he's eligible for, and he blows them all off. He won't do anything he doesn't have passion for. But the passion disappears as soon as he realizes it's not even possible to do.

I'm tired of this. How do I get him to see he needs to suck it up and get something, anything, that will let him stop having to constantly borrow money he can never pay back?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I think I found the problem:

quote:

cultivating marijuana, opening a cannabis dispensary, building a business from his home brewing experimentation

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FAUXTON posted:

Keep in mind these are employee cards so underwriting is a breeze unless they want a limit increase.

Capone keeps throwing increases at me like I need them - I started with a $1500 limit in like 2013 and now it's 7k. I've never asked for an increase, I've never carried a balance for more than a month or two, but I guess they plan on me using $7k at some point.

I get no kind of cash back or points or anything, though. They used to ask me about upgrading but then I wouldn't have this lil guy on the card:

idgaf if it's bwm if I can't have graeme on my card no deal mofos

You should at least product change it to the Quicksilver, which is 1.5% back on everything. It allows you to have your own picture on the card. I know this because I do the same thing with a photo of one of my guinea pigs, and can't bring myself to give that up for the objectively better Citi Doublecash card.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I had to double check the boyfriend's age in the title.

This is a constant theme in like 20% of reddit relationship posts - some 30 year old starts dating an 18 year old girl, and over time the girl matures into an adult and then can't figure out why the 30 year old going out with high school girls turns out to be a huge loser after all

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Droo posted:

This is a constant theme in like 20% of reddit relationship posts - some 30 year old starts dating an 18 year old girl, and over time the girl matures into an adult and then can't figure out why the 30 year old going out with high school girls turns out to be a huge loser after all

My favorite part out of all of that is that he wants to start training for the NFL, so he can get drafted next season and start his professional football career at 32 or 33.

Brett Favre has inspired a generation.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Brett Favre Chris Weinke has inspired a generation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sirotan posted:

You should at least product change it to the Quicksilver, which is 1.5% back on everything. It allows you to have your own picture on the card. I know this because I do the same thing with a photo of one of my guinea pigs, and can't bring myself to give that up for the objectively better Citi Doublecash card.

Oh, I had no idea I could use a picture for the Quicksilver card. Thanks!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

quote:

My brother in law bought a used BMW for $15000 with a credit card at 26%apr

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/9z3c0p/what_is_the_worst_way_youve_seen_someone/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pay that poo poo off right away and get reward points, and it's good with money. Although I highly doubt that is what the referenced person did. Also buying a BMW is always BWM unless you are getting the maintenance for free

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pay that poo poo off right away and get reward points, and it's good with money. Although I highly doubt that is what the referenced person did. Also buying a BMW is always BWM unless you are getting the maintenance for free

My dad figured out he could pre-pay his AmEx and then buy solar panels for his house and collect enough points for a sweet holiday. GWM but goddamn I have to hear that story every time credit card rewards are brought up.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If he got to pay a car with a CC he very likely overpaid more than whatever rewards he’s getting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If he got to pay a car with a CC he very likely overpaid more than whatever rewards he’s getting.

Is this a thing? I thought you typically negotiated the price before you told them cash, check, Briefcase full of doubloons, credit card, etc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you tell them CC they will say "gently caress off" since they pay fees on that which will pretty well gently caress up the dealer's margin

i am aware of some guy who ran a very expensive vehicle purchase on an amex black but if you're going down to your local brand x store they are going to tell you to get hosed

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Most dealers will not let you pay more than a holding deposit or at most a few thousand dollars for a car on a credit card; a 2% or thereabout interchange fee ends up costing them hundreds of dollars. My strategy on this is to negotiate the price of the car and then after that is set in stone start asking about credit cards. I once was able to put $9,000 of a used car on a credit card but that's the best I've ever done.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Leon:

As someone who enjoys your posts in this thread, please stop posting in D&D it’s just not worth it!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

mike- posted:

Leon:

As someone who enjoys your posts in this thread, please stop posting in D&D it’s just not worth it!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Most dealers will not let you pay more than a holding deposit or at most a few thousand dollars for a car on a credit card; a 2% or thereabout interchange fee ends up costing them hundreds of dollars. My strategy on this is to negotiate the price of the car and then after that is set in stone start asking about credit cards. I once was able to put $9,000 of a used car on a credit card but that's the best I've ever done.

Some dealerships basically get you approved for a card, on which you put part/all of the down payment.

It's using credit to pay into a loan and exceedingly bwm

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

mike- posted:

Leon:

Yeah, jesus dude chill out and come hang out with us instead.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Yeah, CC for points never works out for cars. Best I did was when I bought my last car for cash and they let me put $3k of it on my card (which I then paid off and got the points) and they acted like dicks about it. Not that I care what a car dealer thinks of me.

Doesn't matter if the margins are thin or not, dealers have it beaten in to them to give no quarter, and the fees they pay for CC add up. Not saying I feel sorry for them, that's just how it is.

On another note, auto financing is such a racket that they actually hate you a little if you come in with cash or your own bank loan. You'd think they'd like an easy sale but that isn't how they view it at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ixian posted:

You'd think they'd like an easy sale but that isn't how they view it at all.

I bought my last car new and while I had enough to buy it outright, the terms of a loan seemed advantageous to me. When I told them I could be convinced to pay in cash if they gave me a deal, they flipped it and threw in a $75 trunk cover-thing if I financed since they get a kickback from that (even with the 0.9% APR or whatever low rate it was). They said I should pay it off immediately since the interest wouldn't kick in for 60 days if I wanted to pay cash and still get the cover, they were cool with that.

Not that is was a big deal either way, but the old "If you pay cash right now you'll get a better deal" is one of those things that lots of people say but doesn't work that way in practice anymore.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you tell them CC they will say "gently caress off" since they pay fees on that which will pretty well gently caress up the dealer's margin

i am aware of some guy who ran a very expensive vehicle purchase on an amex black but if you're going down to your local brand x store they are going to tell you to get hosed

My mother bought a car on an Amex black, she negotiated the price and they were all how much would you like to put down for a deposit, minimum is $1k we take Visa mastercard amex. The guy nearly fell off his chair when she said all of it and pulled out the card. Took her walking out the door for them to run out and allow it. They were pissed, but not enough to cancel the deal.

Lockback posted:

I bought my last car new and while I had enough to buy it outright, the terms of a loan seemed advantageous to me. When I told them I could be convinced to pay in cash if they gave me a deal, they flipped it and threw in a $75 trunk cover-thing if I financed since they get a kickback from that (even with the 0.9% APR or whatever low rate it was). They said I should pay it off immediately since the interest wouldn't kick in for 60 days if I wanted to pay cash and still get the cover, they were cool with that.

Not that is was a big deal either way, but the old "If you pay cash right now you'll get a better deal" is one of those things that lots of people say but doesn't work that way in practice anymore.

Yeah I just bought a new car, could have just paid cash for it but they weren't offering any discount for cash vs financing, and the rate was 0% for 6 years. I don't know how they make that work but I'll take it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lockback posted:

Don't you have to pay to have the lien recorded against your car when you take out a loan? Or maybe that's just another of the 'negotiable' fees.

Bought a car for cash, and gosh what do you know, they just 'accidentally' forgot to take off the fee for the lien! We'll go ahead and get that fixed.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah I just bought a new car, could have just paid cash for it but they weren't offering any discount for cash vs financing, and the rate was 0% for 6 years. I don't know how they make that work but I'll take it.

In most cases you have to give up an additional cash incentive in order to receive 0% financing. For example GMC's current offer which is being advertised is 0% financing for 6 years or alternately an additional $1,250 rebate. You can do the math to figure out the imputed interest rate.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mike- posted:

Leon:

Please do Leon! They're not interested in debating or discussion, let them have their circle jerk.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So down payment on a credit card is generally ok? Interesting.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So down payment on a credit card is generally ok? Interesting.

I was able to put 5k down on a 0.99% 3-year used car loan without any apparent additional fees. I also got a deep-seated hatred of used car dealers and will be extremely abusive towards them in any future dealings.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

They only let me do $1,000 on the card, apparently they used to allow more and some people did buy new Toyotas with cards.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah, jesus dude chill out and come hang out with us instead.
I'm getting on the chill in here, Leon :bandwagon:.

In other news, I'm looking forward to the Black Friday sale on stocks. It's kinda nice when the poo poo you buy every other week anyway goes on sale.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

In most cases you have to give up an additional cash incentive in order to receive 0% financing. For example GMC's current offer which is being advertised is 0% financing for 6 years or alternately an additional $1,250 rebate. You can do the math to figure out the imputed interest rate.

Yeah I know, which is why I was looking to see what the rebate would be. But, there wasn't one. Some models had quite a bit of a cash incentive, but this one didn't. Joys of dealers clearing out the 2018's!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Devor posted:

Don't you have to pay to have the lien recorded against your car when you take out a loan? Or maybe that's just another of the 'negotiable' fees.

Bought a car for cash, and gosh what do you know, they just 'accidentally' forgot to take off the fee for the lien! We'll go ahead and get that fixed.

I didn't have a lien fee, though there was a fee line regardless (it wasn't much and the total price was still well under MSRP) and the APR wasn't 0, it was either 0.9 or 1.9, I don't recall now. The total was the same either way, though I didn't think to ask if I could have put some/all of it on a credit card.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

baquerd posted:

I was able to put 5k down on a 0.99% 3-year used car loan without any apparent additional fees. I also

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah I just bought a new car, could have just paid cash for it but

Lockback posted:

I bought my last car new and

Ixian posted:

Best I did was when I bought my last car for cash and

Going to quote this poster whose opinion we can all agree everyone respects and admires

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spo1jK4CCEU

User loses posting privileges for 6 hours

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Apologies, content:

quote:

I’m a 20 yo with a really lovely dying car and out of an act of desperation went to a car dealership. Help.
So about a week ago I was getting extremely frustrated with my lovely car, so I went to a dealership to look at some cars. The dealer lead me to a 2017 Nissan Sentra. One thing lead to another, and I’m at their financing office as they’re running through my information.

They wrote up a lease and said I was pre-approved (?) with 15% interest for 4 years with bi-weekly payment of 240. I was kind of getting anxious about the whole deal, but next thing I knew I was getting set up with all the paperwork to get the car—except, I didn’t have enough money for the 1,000$ down payment. So, they voided all the paperwork that had been done and told me to come back when I had the money and they’d continue the process.

After thinking about it I knew that I probably shouldn’t go through with it. But know they’re calling me and telling me how they’ve parted the car and I just need to come back. I don’t have a good feeling about this and my gut, I think, is telling me to not go through with the deal.

After being pre approved and everything, do I have to come back and actually go through? Any other hot tips on not being an idiot and buying cars?

At least they dodged a bullet, though only because they didn't have the downpayment...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pobody's nerfect

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This dude figured out how to get debt on his debt.

Spiraling into a hole of debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z88mr/spiraling_into_a_hole_of_debt/

quote:

I have two loans out with the bank. I owe $75 from last month, and $75 this month. I also owe $140 this month. The payments of $75 and $140 are 2 separate personal loans I took out before I knew what the gently caress I was doing. I have the first one paid off about 14%. The second one just started to require monthly payments, as of the beginning of this month.

I owe $146 to my phone bill. I'm also due $46 for this month, but am behind from last month (the $146) so my phone is off (need it for work though...).

I owe $250 to a r/borrow loan, due next month. I owe ~$350 to another r/borrow loan, due late this month, but trying to negotiate paying it off in full next month.

I'm paying off a payment arrangement, about $75 monthly, a year to go.

Rent is coming up on 12/1, $700. I was going to cover it thru PayPal credit, but my PayPal is in a negative balance of ~$500 for being withdrawn. I paid off rent of this month 11/1, but something hosed up so my PayPal is overdrawn, but my checking account isn't. PayPal won't let me use my credit until I pay off my negative balance. I have a credit card for $300 coming in soon, but even if that showed up, it's less than half my rent, and I know I'll face eviction if I dont pay in full.

I keep loving up, I'm going down a hole of debt, and really loving scared. I'm seeking a personal loan with no POI due to not having paystubs yet. I know with this well-paying job, I will be able to pay everything off (except the bank loans) within a month or two.

I'm trying really hard not to fall into this hole of debt but I will if I can't find a way to pay off everything soon (rent especially). What do I do to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Lockback posted:

This dude figured out how to get debt on his debt.

Spiraling into a hole of debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z88mr/spiraling_into_a_hole_of_debt/

"/r/borrow"
:hmbol: imagine loaning money to randos on reddit