Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

how old will AOC be in 2024

not old enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hell yea

no war but trade war

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any evidence that voting machines were deliberately made to be unreliable, because they were funded by people who want voting to be unreliable? Because yeah, machines are usually made to be reliable these days.

Not really... if you buy from the lowest bidder you'll get stuff that's mostly reliable but probably has stuff that'll break down with sufficient use, or that will have occasional errors that you just don't notice because they don't matter for how you are using the machine. While there's surely a lot of maliciousness going on during elections, when it comes to machines just not working (like the whole humidity thing in Georgia) it is more just incompetence and a lack of requirements for machines to work outside of ideal situations.

Voting machines really need to have the same types of requirements of at least top grade ATMs and probably should have their own standards.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Nov 21, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

not old enough

I heard she'll be 35 by Jan 2025, which is the criterium

Serf
May 5, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I heard she'll be 35 by Jan 2025, which is the criterium

unfortunately 35 is the point when you should lose the franchise, so she will in fact be too old

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Serf posted:

unfortunately 35 is the point when you should lose the franchise, so she will in fact be too old

gently caress it, let's go full Logan's Run and have everyone go to carousel and "renew" when they hit 30.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

she's 29 now so will be old enough to primary schumer in 2022

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Shear Modulus posted:

hail satan

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

gently caress it, let's go full Logan's Run and have everyone go to carousel and "renew" when they hit 30.

As someone who is over 30, I support this idea.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

This would be an excellent use of her time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Typo posted:

cuz sa political forums are basically about as far left as you can get in us politics and bernie is the closest thing you have to a communist candidate

in reality candidate choice at this point really doesn't matter that much because partisanship is so high 90% of everyone are just party line voters and the remaining votes based on random poo poo like which part of the business cycle we are on or RNG generated terrorist attack that are completely outside the control of whoever the opposition party runs

Candidate choice is loving essential, Christ!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I can't believe someone who was theoretically alive from 2008 thru 2018 would stumble to the opinion that candidate choice doesn't matter much. Energizing the base is a huge deal, and weak candidates just cannot do it. We've seen huge contrasts in candidate quality and accompanying results in even the last couple years.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I can't believe someone who was theoretically alive from 2008 thru 2018 would stumble to the opinion that candidate choice doesn't matter much. Energizing the base is a huge deal, and weak candidates just cannot do it. We've seen huge contrasts in candidate quality and accompanying results in even the last couple years.

liberalism rots your brain

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol remember john kerry

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

lol remember john kerry

PERMISSION TO COME ABOURD

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Typo posted:

cuz sa political forums are basically about as far left as you can get in us politics and bernie is the closest thing you have to a communist candidate

in reality candidate choice at this point really doesn't matter that much because partisanship is so high 90% of everyone are just party line voters and the remaining votes based on random poo poo like which part of the business cycle we are on or RNG generated terrorist attack that are completely outside the control of whoever the opposition party runs

incredibly stupid

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Typo posted:

~nothing really matters~
~anyone can see~
~nothing really matters~
~aside from college students saying things that upset my republican frieeeeeeeends~

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Vox Nihili posted:

a democrat would have won 2008 no matter what, the extent of democratic victory had more to do with iraq war and great recession than obama's personal appeal

candidate quality is prob like 1-2 points or something so yeah in a really close election in matters but what amounts to rng generated events you have no influence over as a nom like

-does stock mkt crash within 12 month of an election
-terrist attack (brown or white attacker?)
-cultural war issue X event (KAVANAUGH DRINKS BEER)
-does Kim/Xi/whatever foreign leader do something crazy
-CARAVAN

all probably have similar if not greater effect than who you choose to run, candidate choice is largely illusion of control as far as electoral outcomes in national elections are concerned

could a better candidate than hillary won 2016? prob, but it's the difference between a narrow victory and a narrow loss. It's never the situation where X would win by 10 points against [Democrat|Republican incumbent] while Y would have lost it by 10 points

quote:

theoretically alive from 2008 thru 2018
remember how ppl thought gillum (progressive) vs nelson (centrist) was some great contest between appeal of left-wing vs moderate centrist candidates?

then they both lost by about the same amount?

partisanship uber alles.

Typo has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Nov 21, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

go back to d&d bitch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Trump boosting rural turnout and Hillary killing her parties turnout is the only explanation for the blue wall getting crushed. Hell, Trump did better in Minnesota than anyone since Nixon , you can't just hand wave that away

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

mastershakeman posted:

Trump boosting rural turnout and Hillary killing her parties turnout is the only explanation for the blue wall getting crushed. Hell, Trump did better in Minnesota than anyone since Nixon , you can't just hand wave that away

white working class voters have being trending republican for decades, even Romney boosted gop margins among wwc over McCain

E:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Minnesota,_2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Minnesota,_2016

TRUMP actually didn't do all that better in mn than bush did in 2000

Typo has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Nov 21, 2018

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Typo posted:

white working class voters have being trending republican for decades, even Romney boosted gop margins among wwc over McCain

E:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Minnesota,_2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Minnesota,_2016

TRUMP actually didn't do all that better in mn than bush did in 2000

And yet in MN this cycle, the shitstain GOP governor candidate who everyone hates lost bigly to the best retail politician in the state.

Candidate quality is absolutely critical.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

And yet in MN this cycle, the shitstain GOP governor candidate who everyone hates lost bigly to the best retail politician in the state.

Candidate quality is absolutely critical.

at the state level I would agree more with you because partisanship still matters less at the state level than national election, see ma voting for charlie baker/warren at the same time

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Typo posted:

could a better candidate than hillary won 2016? prob, but it's the difference between a narrow victory and a narrow loss.

So it's the difference between winning the Presidency and not winning the Presidency?

Gee, why would that matter?

Serf
May 5, 2011

imagine getting owned for 2 years straight and then teleporting back in like you're king poo poo of turd mountain lmaoooo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Typo posted:

a democrat would have won 2008 no matter what, the extent of democratic victory had more to do with iraq war and great recession than obama's personal appeal

candidate quality is prob like 1-2 points or something so yeah in a really close election in matters but what amounts to rng generated events you have no influence over as a nom like

-does stock mkt crash within 12 month of an election
-terrist attack (brown or white attacker?)
-cultural war issue X event (KAVANAUGH DRINKS BEER)
-does Kim/Xi/whatever foreign leader do something crazy
-CARAVAN

all probably have similar if not greater effect than who you choose to run, candidate choice is largely illusion of control as far as electoral outcomes in national elections are concerned

could a better candidate than hillary won 2016? prob, but it's the difference between a narrow victory and a narrow loss. It's never the situation where X would win by 10 points against [Democrat|Republican incumbent] while Y would have lost it by 10 points
remember how ppl thought gillum (progressive) vs nelson (centrist) was some great contest between appeal of left-wing vs moderate centrist candidates?

then they both lost by about the same amount?

partisanship uber alles.

2016 was much more of a gimme election than 2020 will be. donald trump was the most unpopular presidential nominee in history. and hillary still lost

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a tape came out a month before the election where one of the two major party candidates admitted he loved groping and raping women. he won

your liberalism can't explain that

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Hillary was the absolute worst presidential candidate in modern history. She would have lost to Barry Goldwater, Hoover's reelection campaign, and Ross Perot straight up. She would have lost that election to literally anyone, including Jeb! and Ron Paul.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hillary was the absolute worst presidential candidate in modern history. She would have lost to Barry Goldwater, Hoover's reelection campaign, and Ross Perot straight up. She would have lost that election to literally anyone, including Jeb! and Ron Paul.

Yet she still won the popular vote. Over half the country voted for her, and she still lost.

Democracy is a joke.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

the clintons spent the years between 2008 and 2016 making sure nobody would get in the way of hillary running in 2016

i wonder where robby mook is

Serf
May 5, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yet she still won the popular vote. Over half the country voted for her, and she still lost.

Democracy is a joke.

the electoral college and the senate should be abolished. hell, same for the presidency really. just congress, 1000 people = 1 rep

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Serf posted:

the electoral college and the senate should be abolished. hell, same for the presidency really. just congress, 1000 people = 1 rep

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

Democracy is a joke.

Ah, yes, the popular vote, a thing that matters and that we should care about.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ah, yes, the popular vote, a thing that matters and that we should care about.

Well, yes, it is. Why shouldn't we?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

the tales of how inconsistently the digital voting machines work would be funny if they weren't sad. I think the general public has a perception that machine = reliable, I know I used to. Actually working with machines in manufacturing has shown me that in general machines are frustrating and unreliable piles of garbage.

I'm betting the answer is no, but do they do QA process control checks on these voting machines during operation? It's insanely easy for a machine to start operating out of specification if you aren't constantly validating that it is.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Shageletic posted:

i wonder where robby mook is

Hopefully done with politics and working in a Starbucks or something.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

and one of the interpretations of that is it doesn't really matter how lovely your candidate is, Trump absolutely would have being disqualified a few decades ago, but today both parties believe their worst guy is better than the best guy on the other side. So anybody making it out of the primaries has 90%+ of the votes he/she needs to win the presidency locked down just by having the R/D next to their name because of partisanship.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Screaming Idiot posted:

Democracy is a joke.

this is objectively wrong though, she got 48% or so of the votes if she had 50% + 1 vote she would have won

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, yes, it is. Why shouldn't we?

Hillary won the mock election at the elementary school my wife teaches at. That mock election's results are exactly as important to the presidential election as the popular vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Typo posted:

and one of the interpretations of that is it doesn't really matter how lovely your candidate is, Trump absolutely would have being disqualified a few decades ago, but today both parties believe their worst guy is better than the best guy on the other side. So anybody making it out of the primaries has 90%+ of the votes he/she needs to win the presidency locked down just by having the R/D next to their name because of partisanship.

No, the interpretation here is that Chaffee Would Have Won.