Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ugleb posted:

Why no imperial probe droid? Or is that too bad rear end to mot get its own box?

I want to field probe droids and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Covert Operation seems like an insanely useless order card at first glance.

"Haha, you must reveal two of your order cards. Now I know that your Luke & Leia list is running Son of Skywalker! Surely I could never have guessed this without spending resources."

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that part: It's obvious enough even without that.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 2, 2018

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah is there something with Covert Observation I'm not seeing? You list your seven command cards on your army list as totally open information.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Yeah is there something with Covert Observation I'm not seeing? You list your seven command cards on your army list as totally open information.

FFG posted:

Question: Since a player’s command hand is a part of their army, is the contents of their command hand public information to their opponent before a game? During a game is a player’s command hand public information? Similarly, is a player’s discard pile public information?

Answer: No, although a player’s command hand is a part of their army, neither before a game nor during a game is a player’s command hand public information. The contents of a player’s command hand is considered hidden information, except to that player. However, a player’s discarded command cards are public information. A player can request to see their opponent’s discarded command cards at any time.

Still quite weak IMO but as more generic cards come out for the factions it may become more useful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

here's a cool protip to help enjoy this game:
don't leave 3-d printed starwar buildings in a hot car :smithicide:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Owlbear Camus posted:

Paint them in a psychedelic color scheme, and have your next scenario be a battle in a burning poppy field.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Paint them in a psychedelic color scheme, and have your next scenario be a battle in a burning poppy field.

palpatine's loyalists must liberate space sector guernica from those rojas republican scum

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Re-sell as one-of-a-kind Colicoid hive terrain.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
The Han model is *way* better in person than the preview pictures seemed to indicate. The Commandos are pretty cool also, and thus far the snipers have been quite effective for me in game as well. The bombs have been somewhat less exciting but are still scary against tightly clustered units or as barriers to protect relevant areas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Will there be any plans to release an ewok in a speeder bike, ewok glider, or chewbacca on an ATST? I'm already splitting the base game box so I get the Rebels, but my paint queue is long and I'd put this up further in line if I knew I could get a complete Endor battlegroup together.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Fetterkey posted:

The Han model is *way* better in person than the preview pictures seemed to indicate.

Huzzah! I was disappointed to think they screwed up Endor Han.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Will there be any plans to release an ewok in a speeder bike, ewok glider, or chewbacca on an ATST?

None of these things are announced and there is no reason to believe they're coming up any time soon given next year they are branching out into Clone War content.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, it is a shame the original trilogy is already mined out of war gaming content. I pray Clone Wars will have rules for making your own Jedi/Sith or other characters.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't think it's a matter of the OT stuff being tapped, but rather them wanting to branch out into more factions as soon as possible considering you're probably going to want more than just two for a decently healthy wargame. I was initially surprised they went with prequel stuff over new trilogy stuff, but I suppose Resistance versus First Order would look nearly identical to Revels vs Empire, so you'd at least have a little more variance on the table when you instead do lovely goofy robots and good guy stormtroopers that look sort of different.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, it is a shame the original trilogy is already mined out of war gaming content. I pray Clone Wars will have rules for making your own Jedi/Sith or other characters.

Yeah what this game really needs is Luke 2.0 fanfic edition

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm kind of off building your own commander a la carte because either the dials and levers won't allow for much meaningful differentiation, or if they do they'll be game-able and be "solved."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Owlbear Camus posted:

None of these things are announced and there is no reason to believe they're coming up any time soon given next year they are branching out into Clone War content.

Shame. I was hoping I could do a movie accurate Endor scout group. They never gave us Lt Kettch for x wing

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am excited about battle Droids, but I guess General Grievous will have to lead every skirmish. I think not setting it in a less defined time period is another mistake. There is a ton we don't know about the Knights of the Old Republic period, but I do know there are only three kinds of battle Droids.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

There is a ton we don't know about the Knights of the Old Republic period, but I do know there are only three kinds of battle Droids.

Wrong. Between Republic Commando and the Clone Wars cartoons I'm sure there's at least a dozen more.

LOL if you look at X-Wing with expansions made out of some goofy looking ship that was in a video game for thirty seconds and think if the game goes on long enough they're just going to stick to screen canon.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't think it's a matter of the OT stuff being tapped, but rather them wanting to branch out into more factions as soon as possible considering you're probably going to want more than just two for a decently healthy wargame. I was initially surprised they went with prequel stuff over new trilogy stuff, but I suppose Resistance versus First Order would look nearly identical to Revels vs Empire, so you'd at least have a little more variance on the table when you instead do lovely goofy robots and good guy stormtroopers that look sort of different.

Yeah, there's still a fair amount of stuff they could release from that era, especially since it includes Rogue One and Solo now:

Lando (potentially w/ Bespin security or even the Cloud Car)
Imperial Navy troopers (the black-clad guys with "bucket" helmets on the Death Star)
Other bounty hunters as Imperial operatives (IG-88, Dengar, Bossk...)
Chewie in AT-ST or Rebels on speeder bikes
Ewoks and Ewok gliders (please no...)

Director Krennic and Deathtroopers
Shoretroopers
Rogue One rebel heroes (Jyn, Cassian, Ip Man...)
Imperial tank from Rogue One

Trench warfare guys from Solo
AT-ST w/ Flak 88 from Solo

That's before getting into Expanded Universe stuff, much of which would be appropriate for the game - the AT-PT, for instance, would make a great support unit for the Empire, the Rebels could get the combat landspeeders or hover tank from SWGB, etc.

I suspect even once Clone Wars stuff starts up the original factions won't be abandoned completely, but we'll have to see.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm kind of off building your own commander a la carte because either the dials and levers won't allow for much meaningful differentiation, or if they do they'll be game-able and be "solved."

They previewed generic commanders at GenCon, but it looks like it's less Build-Your-Own-Jedi and more "barebones cheapo (50 points IIRC) versions of Leia or Veers". Interestingly the generic officers can also be used as a trooper upgrade for normal squads at a cheaper cost (20 for Imps, 19 for Rebs), becoming the squad leader of a unit they join and granting it +1 Courage and Inspire 1. Seems potentially quite strong on Fleet Troopers in particular, who suffer a lot from being suppressed...

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 29, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would also accept Ewok gliders to go with Paploo on bike and chewie on ATST

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chief Chirpa commander

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

New Boba Fett preview looking good.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

His toys are cool and whatever, but his mobility and durability are unprecedented. I can't see myself leaving home without him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just don't get what hes supposed to do that justifies 140+ points. Like yeah he can zip around but hes not gonna kill squads with 2 black dice any better than a bike squad will. He can sorta run interference on Luke for a bit but you still need to deal with him eventually. I guess he can ferry objective tokens around...

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

He seems like a really powerful vulture basically; his baseline damage isn't inherently too explosive, but with the dice pool combined with his pierce 1 and sharpshooter 2 he'll be super consistent with pushing a couple hits through every time he shoots. The flame projector and jetpack rocket give him bigger hits when he selectively needs it. Combine that with insane mobility, red defense dice, and both surges with his offensive one being a crit means he kind of looks like a pretty ridiculous tool box. He won't be wiping entire squads with a single swing like Vader, but there's a lot of versatility and survivability there that will probably be really fun to put on the table.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

I just don't get what hes supposed to do that justifies 140+ points. Like yeah he can zip around but hes not gonna kill squads with 2 black dice any better than a bike squad will. He can sorta run interference on Luke for a bit but you still need to deal with him eventually. I guess he can ferry objective tokens around...

While his "damage potential" is low compared to what you could get for the price, he's very consistent - at range 1-2 Boba can fire four black dice with Sharpshooter 2 (ignores cover), Pierce 1, and Impact 1, which is respectable and consistent damage even against troops in cover, armored targets, etc. One of his command cards can lock down a key target's movement as a free action, while his other two provide big damage spikes - the rocket seems great early on (when it's risky to get too close to use both his wrist rocket and carbine), and the flamer can devastate a squad once you get close. Further, Boba has great mobility with Speed 3 and Jump 2, and his Bounty rule may force enemies to play more conservatively with their commanders.

Honestly Boba seems like a big help for Empire lists, since they currently have so much trouble with Rebel characters in midfield - stopping Luke's movement for a turn with that Whipcord Launcher or even just forcing Han or Leia to play more conservatively thanks to Bounty seems like it could go a long way, especially for shooty Imperial lists with Veers. Taking both Boba and Vader is quite expensive, so I'm not sure that will be as common.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Let’s use the new rules update to springboard this thread back into life! Does this fix Key Positions? Does standby break AT-STs? And how glad are you that we can clamber over fences now?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/b6/29/b6291ce4-2ff2-4133-9ea1-b225c19be897/swl_rules_reference_120_eng.pdf

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do we have Ewok gliders and paploo riding a bike yet?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Do we have Ewok gliders and paploo riding a bike yet?

No, nothing with big wings for you to put anime bois on yet. But we do have Pruneface, Pao, and Bistan so that’s something.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

head58 posted:

Let’s use the new rules update to springboard this thread back into life! Does this fix Key Positions? Does standby break AT-STs? And how glad are you that we can clamber over fences now?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/b6/29/b6291ce4-2ff2-4133-9ea1-b225c19be897/swl_rules_reference_120_eng.pdf

The new medbot being able to heal wounds from Luke seems like a pretty good bit of gear from the next wave. Less so for the repair bot and ATST, as the optimal strategy is usually ignore the ATST. Looks like you can still force push off the table edge lol.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

quote:

Looks like you can still force push off the table edge lol.

Nope. Page 37, Leaving the Battlefield now says that when performing a move with an opponent’s unit that unit cannot leave the battlefield.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is there a tl:dr of all the changes so I dont have to read a 64 page rulebook

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The changes are all in blue, but this blog seems to sum them up well. https://imperialdiscipline.blog/2018/11/21/rrg_update_112018/

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

No, nothing with big wings for you to put anime bois on yet. But we do have Pruneface, Pao, and Bistan so that’s something.

What? Really?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/19/rogue-spirit/

Holy cow, we are!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

head58 posted:

Lame, now that JoJo part 5 is out I wanna paint some cute boys on things.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Jyn should be an operative and Cassian/K2-S0 should be a commander unit :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

Jyn should be an operative and Cassian/K2-S0 should be a commander unit :colbert:

I don't disagree, here.

At least this portends Krenic in his sweet cape, and Death Troopers.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

Lame, now that JoJo part 5 is out I wanna paint some cute boys on things.

Is the airspeeder not big enough? The side of an AT-ST?

I guess you could enjo-jo the side of a terrain piece, like a building or something.

Would a Star Wars Jo-Jo have a Stand named after in-universe music?

Like just a dude yelling CANTINA SONG at a sith or whatever, followed by midi-midi-midi-midi-midi, and the sith's face getting caved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Had a fun little tournament a couple weekends back that I won partly thanks to getting Key Positions twice, being empire, and a 5 point bid being enough to be blue player both times. RIP you busted-rear end scenario. Darth Vader remains an absolute monster and the most fun model to play by far, but Boba Fett is a close second with his crazy versatility making up for his lack of brute strength. The two are definitely too expensive points-wise, in addition to competing really badly for timing of command cards, to run them in the same army though. Feels like Vader really needs to work alone, whereas Boba is a solid compliment to Veers. Really hope this game keeps a foothold and the diehard little community here holds out and grows. Fantasy Flight made a good rear end game that feels great on the table, so they better not do the Fantasy Flight thing and gently caress it up.