Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Fellas, it's finally happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNndtga3zY

HRTF in HL1 using MetaAudio (probably not VAC friendly, use -insecure in the command line just to be safe)

This is the closest we'll get to A3D. Not sure if it's the same one in the video, but the github link is a fork that uses Alure instead of OpenAL. Supports HRTF, occlusion, distance attenuation, and EFX all with a lower audio latency

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That, uh, doesn't sound good. Some stuff is completely flat and other things have inexplicable reverb that goes on forever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TTerrible posted:

That, uh, doesn't sound good. Some stuff is completely flat and other things have inexplicable reverb that goes on forever.

Starting off with insane tin-can effect in an open space doesn't help.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I'm sure reverb time will be fixed if not already, latest release was yesterday and that video's from September. I'll have to play around with it when I get the chance, but any progress in sound enhancement mods is great seeing as even EAX is broken in the steam version of HL

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Kins posted:

Here's a cool blog post about how Ion Maiden's artwork is created.

The intentional aliasing on the final sprites is a touch of genius. :allears:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Ularg posted:

Are... are there map files online? I want to play them.

Unless they're indoor maps. gently caress indoor/dungeon maps in starcraft/warcraft forever.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh yeah, I fondly remember the Starcraft levels where you were given a small squad of marines and had to slowly work your way through a map.

I feel like those are the "mandatory stealth" section equivalents for RTS games. Ugh.

Seriously, they're the worst. When I replayed the campaigns when SC:Remastered released, I just cheated to skip the indoor maps.

Side note, while insurrection is reportedly bad, you can download the SC1 demo campaign which contains content that didn't ship with the original game. Just a few maps but kind of a neat bonus. I'm surprised they didn't include it in the full release.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo the nostalgia ~feels~

I loved PC Gamer and their demo disks. They introduced me to so many games I still love to this day. As a kid with dial up, no money and no car, my PC Gamer subscription was my lifeline.

I still remember hacking in a variable in a text file in the original GTA to remove the demo timer because I loved the game so much and free roam was amazing even in 2d.

Theme Hospital, Destruction Derby, SiN, man it’s all flooding back, I can even picture a lot of the cover art still in my head. That’s how much time I spent with them

Trying to load the CD front-end in DOS (usually pcgamer.exe I think?) is some of my earliest memories on the computer. The motivation to play new games was overwhelming even though I had no idea what I was doing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Scrimping for my first PC and cheaping out on games over $20 meant that my PC Gamer disc was like getting a present each month. Sure, half the games wouldn’t run on my crappy machine, but that just meant I could bring the disc to my friend’s house and play them there.

I played the hell outta the demos for Rocket Jockey, Thief Gold, Hitman, and Interstate ‘76. Got to learn every square inch of ‘em, just glad to have a thing to play.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Here's some of the demo discs I can get to right now,

And this was the starcraft demo I played so drat much.

I have one of those disc spindles somewhere that has more pc demo discs as well as like several years of Playstation 2 and Xbox magazine demo discs.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/dei_genetrix/status/1065345949394980871

:shobon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ularg posted:

I have one of those disc spindles somewhere that has more pc demo discs as well as like several years of Playstation 2 and Xbox magazine demo discs.

Holy poo poo the amount of memories I just got crushed with by looking at these pictures! This week I played and finished Star Wars Dark Forces 1 & 2. :) Trying to think of what the next classic FPS is that I want to play.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Serephina posted:

Tanya mowing down hundreds of infantry is a staple!

Tanya's laugh in RA2 is probably my favorite audio clip in all of gaming.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Ularg posted:

Seeing timeless classics back when they were new is neat, but my favorite thing about old game media is seeing all the hype for something that ended up being completely forgotten. For every Starcraft, there's a hundred M.A.X. 2s.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I loved Warzone 2100 and would probably like to play it again.

Makes me wish I could have a windows 98/XP machine so I can easily reinstall these demo discs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The best "demo disc" was, if I remember right, a Computer Gaming World disc that had full, older games. Few were related to the thread, but it had Duke Nukem 2, Alone in the Dark, Ultima Underworld, X-Com UFO Defense... I wish I could remember where I left it, it was awesome. I think it was CGW, that was the magazine my dad got, but every once in a while he'd grab a PC Gamer so it might have been from them.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I remember that one too, it was PC Gamer from the summer of 2000 or 2001. That disc introduced me to a ton of classics. They also had Duke3d a few years later.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The PC Gamer July 2000 disc had free copies of Alone in the Dark, Descent, Duke Nukem II, King’s Quest, Links: The Challenge of Golf, Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed, The Secret of Monkey Island, Terminal Velocity, Ultima I, Ultima Underworld, and X-COM: UFO Defense.

Plus...the Daikatana demo!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ularg posted:

Makes me wish I could have a windows 98/XP machine so I can easily reinstall these demo discs.

Warzone 2100 went open source and has been kept up to date by the community. https://wz2100.net/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hogama posted:

The PC Gamer July 2000 disc had free copies of Alone in the Dark, Descent, Duke Nukem II, King’s Quest, Links: The Challenge of Golf, Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed, The Secret of Monkey Island, Terminal Velocity, Ultima I, Ultima Underworld, and X-COM: UFO Defense.

Plus...the Daikatana demo!

Yeah, that's the one. I've ended up with most of the games on there that I was interested in, but I still wish I could find mine if for no other reason than to have Duke 2 Duke lying around.

I kinda miss the magazines. I know they're still being published, but the internet has really hurt that exciting quality of them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It really would be quite the thing if those disc iso's were officially or unofficially hosted somewhere. I mean, at least in terms of PC Gamer, they're demos, right? What's the harm?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mordja posted:

Warzone 2100 went open source and has been kept up to date by the community. https://wz2100.net/

oooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

thank you!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It really would be quite the thing if those disc iso's were officially or unofficially hosted somewhere. I mean, at least in terms of PC Gamer, they're demos, right? What's the harm?

Here you go. Probably not all of them but there's a few
https://archive.org/details/pcgamer-cdroms

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They have a bunch of old shareware compilation discs too.

https://archive.org/details/cdbbsarchive

For the true experience, install Windows 3.11 inside DOSBox and browse the discs from there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ularg posted:

Do it dude. Windows 98SE machines aren't too expensive to put together and are way more functional than virtual machines/dosbox.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fallom posted:

Do it dude. Windows 98SE machines aren't too expensive to put together and are way more functional than virtual machines/dosbox.

It's more about room and energy. I haven't even gotten my room set up since I moved here in october. Chronic pain erryday yall.

But hell yea am I gonna do it one day. I miss CRTs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ularg posted:

It's more about room and energy. I haven't even gotten my room set up since I moved here in october. Chronic pain erryday yall.

But hell yea am I gonna do it one day. I miss CRTs.

Just buy an early-mid 2000s laptop then. It should still have full Windows 98 support but come equipped with all the hardware you need to play those games. Grab a mousse and you're set.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

Fellas, it's finally happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNndtga3zY

HRTF in HL1 using MetaAudio (probably not VAC friendly, use -insecure in the command line just to be safe)

This is the closest we'll get to A3D. Not sure if it's the same one in the video, but the github link is a fork that uses Alure instead of OpenAL. Supports HRTF, occlusion, distance attenuation, and EFX all with a lower audio latency

Question:
What's the deal with those barrels at the start?
I've seen them work (fly way up in the air) only back after release and then every time they either do what they do in the video or just jump a few feet then and come back? It does it today on the same disc install that didn't do it 20 years ago, is there something in the physics engine that doesn't like new hardware or high framerates? Same thing that messes with grenade physics?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Flannelette posted:

Question:
What's the deal with those barrels at the start?
I've seen them work (fly way up in the air) only back after release and then every time they either do what they do in the video or just jump a few feet then and come back? It does it today on the same disc install that didn't do it 20 years ago, is there something in the physics engine that doesn't like new hardware or high framerates? Same thing that messes with grenade physics?

That barrel is a func_pushable, and a trigger_push is supposed to shoot it up into the air. No idea why it doesn't work consistently though, could be framerate related

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's from a wad where you kill a bunch of naked women though...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Negrostrike posted:

God loving drat it nevermind then :doh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

It’s 2018 and we’re now too performatively woke for that to matter.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/RealDerZocker/status/1065640047809056769?s=19

Negrostrike posted:

They're succubi, though. It's not like you're shooting innocent bystanders or acting out some sort of MRA "all women are evil" fantasies, they're literally demons from Hell like the rest.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

They're succubi, though. It's not like you're shooting innocent bystanders or acting out some sort of MRA "all women are evil" fantasies, they're literally demons from Hell like the rest.
https://twitter.com/andrewrstine/status/1064207174098776064

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

https://twitter.com/RealDerZocker/status/1065640047809056769?s=19

I get the intention of your post, but this will still absolutely happen, and this is what they'll say to defend it. So... let's not?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I guess so. The thought had crossed my mind, while posting it, at any rate.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

That second screenshot is - IMO - typical of the people that fetishise CRT filters - they weren't around at the time and so don't realise that computer games, in particular, didn't look like that.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Ularg posted:

Does anyone remember one of these that was a Daggerfall demo? It took up the whole CD and wasn't downloadable anywhere, but it was pretty much a standalone game set on a large island that wasn't on the full game's map. I think I had more fun with that than the full game, it was a smaller, denser world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ookiimarukochan posted:

That second screenshot is - IMO - typical of the people that fetishise CRT filters - they weren't around at the time and so don't realise that computer games, in particular, didn't look like that.

Jeez everyone knows the only kinds of CRT monitor that ever existed were "1960s mono mainframe display in an EMP test site" and "Grandma's cheap TV from 1973 which is on fire".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I want a filter that simulates the two thin horizontal lines Trinitron monitors had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want, and I am not joking, a degaussing simulator. Complete with audio effects.