Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
seriously, they're just going to run the Reagan playbook. it does not matter that the actual man was a jelly-brained monster whose accomplishments were a laundry list of tragedies and disasters. the -idea- of Trump, of The Man Who Promised The Wall?

the descendants of the conservatives will be genuflecting before the Ben Garrison version of him in the postapocalyptic wastes to bless fortifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rigel posted:

Trump: I hereby give the military permission to help arrest illegals, and if they get rowdy you can even shoot them too!!!

Mattis: No, we are not doing any of that.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1065321469981483008

quote:

They’re not even carrying guns, for Christ’s sake,” Mattis said when asked how the military would avoid a repeat of a 1997 incident in which Marines on the border mistakenly shot a teenager. The military has said the work parties building fortifications on the border include one pistol-armed military policeman for every three or four unarmed combat engineers.

lmao

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

oh, I have EXTREMELY terrible news for you about the future, Rigel.

*A bunch of dumb words*

Just like the GOP loves GWB, right? Oh, wait...

The GOP has a long history of abandoning losers who hurt the party's electoral performance. They love Reagan because they did well under him and he allowed for GHWB to be elected.

They hated GHWB and they quickly disavowed GWB when it became obvious that Bush helped get Obama elected. They will abandon Trump quickly and decisively if they lose badly in 2020. They barely tolerate him now only because they don't want to be primaried.

Your brain is broken.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

seriously, they're just going to run the Reagan playbook. it does not matter that the actual man was a jelly-brained monster whose accomplishments were a laundry list of tragedies and disasters. the -idea- of Trump, of The Man Who Promised The Wall?

the descendants of the conservatives will be genuflecting before the Ben Garrison version of him in the postapocalyptic wastes to bless fortifications.

Trump is just Reagan with worse PR, and as of this year Democratic politicians invoke Reagan in speeches to try and shame Trump so do the math.

I don't think it will happen while Trump is in office, that's a reach, but they're going to :decorum: the gently caress out of Trump within the decade, especially when inevitably someone worse becomes president.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Josef bugman posted:

I mean he isn't going to be "beloved" but there is sure as gently caress going to be an attempt. The fact that this is going on with loving Bush, doesn't suggest that this may happen in the future?

Again, if your argument is literally "The fact that Bush while largely still reviled by the people who reviled him during his tenure and much more criticized and insulted by his base at the time is embraced in his post political career by the ELITE class because of his general charm and decorum in keeping with political norms means that Donald Trump will too" I gotta ask what Donald Trump we're talking about.

By all means, criticize the Obamas and Biden and post your :decorum: memes. I'm certainly not gonna stick up for the Bushes or argue that anyone should. But like... you don't see a fundamental difference here? That the very :decorum: that is so reviled and mocked is the reason Michelle Obama says nice things about Bush and that Trump not only doesn't have an ounce of it in him but has made it his life goal to destroy it at every turn?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

Just like the GOP loves GWB, right? Oh, wait...

The GOP has a long history of abandoning losers who hurt the party's electoral performance. They love Reagan because they did well under him and he allowed for GHWB to be elected.

They hated GHWB and they quickly dumped and disavowed GWB when it became obvious that Bush helped get Obama elected. They will abandon Trump quickly and decisively if they lose badly in 2020.

not thinking it through, Rigel.

what do you think the GOP response to the climate refugees is going to be.

do you think they are going to smile, and nod, and say "perhaps we had it wrong before?"

they will be chanting "BUILD THE WALL" until the day you loving die.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Tibalt posted:

Crow Jane, what movie is your av from?

gently caress you, it's political as gently caress in this post-Kav world.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. It owns.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Tibalt posted:

Crow Jane, what movie is your av from?

gently caress you, it's political as gently caress in this post-Kav world.
Not Crow Jane, but it's from "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" which is still on Netflix, I think, and also on Kanopy if your local (US) library has it. It's a loving incredible film, unlike anything I've ever seen really. (And, actually, stealth political.)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

enraged_camel posted:

Hasn't this claim been thoroughly refuted many, many times?

That he was 'brilliant', sure, that's not what I'm saying though.

I'm saying he wasn't as stupid as he played, and probably didn't give too much of a poo poo beyond being president and letting the party stooges run things. He talked like a normal political poo poo when he first ran for governor of Texas. He played up the folksiness for 2000 and after. His whole ranch in texas was a photo-op.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

How do you think the knowledge of thousands of dead Iraqis fits in there. What kind of repression do you think it takes? Do they just take a bunch of Xanax and not give a gently caress?

Not for me to say. Bush II should by all means be tried as a war criminal for his part in pushing the WMD narrative. But Michelle befriending the guy being looked-at as her tacit approval of those crimes is just a whole new level of (pardon the pun) black/white thinking.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SpeakSlow posted:

Not for me to say. Bush II should by all means be tried as a war criminal for his part in pushing the WMD narrative. But Michelle befriending the guy being looked-at as her tacit approval of those crimes is just a whole new level of (pardon the pun) black/white thinking.

what about the part where her husband didn't prosecute him and amped up drone warfare in the countries he lied us into, how does that fit into the picture

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

they will be chanting "BUILD THE WALL" until the day you loving die.

Why should I give a poo poo? Republicans are always going to be racists for the forseeable future? I'm shocked!

Trump is still going to be abandoned and hated when he's gone if he loses badly. They'll pick a new leader who can dogwhistle better without screaming the quiet stuff too loudly (and therefore hopefully win). There's going to be a lot of "oh come on, Trump was a weird anomaly, he wasn't even really a Republican, don't let him turn you off the GOP forever" coming from the GOP in a post-Trump world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

But like... you don't see a fundamental difference here?

The thing is that America is very good at memory holing the past and revising history. Trump will be rendered as a goofball idiot who was just too darn dumb to understand, and man you don't hate your racist uncle, do you? Yeah. Whitewashing the rich and powerful is the national pastime.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

We forgave Germany for Hitler, you don't think we'll forgive ourselves for Trump?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I could see Trump holding a veterans charity event just to generate why-won't-they-treat-me-like-Bush hypocrisy headlines when he needs buzz to keep him from falling out of the news cycle and losing the attention he craves, and then there'd have to be at least one thinkpiece taking his side after that

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tibalt posted:

We forgave Germany for Hitler, you don't think we'll forgive ourselves for Trump?

Is the US going to pass laws making it a criminal offense to be a corrupt dumbass?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The obvious historical parallel for Trump is Nixon, and he’ll be remembered like him but worse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

Why should I give a poo poo? Republicans are always going to be racists for the forseeable future? I'm shocked!

Trump is still going to be abandoned and hated when he's gone if he loses badly. They'll pick a new leader who can dogwhistle better without screaming the quiet stuff too loudly (and therefore hopefully win). There's going to be a lot of "oh come on, Trump was a weird anomaly, he wasn't even really a Republican, don't let him turn you off the GOP forever" coming from the GOP in a post-Trump world.

who is the patron saint of The Wall, Rigel.

who descended from on high, slaying the demon Hillary, Who Shall Be Locked Up, and brought the beauty of the Wall to a party that had turned its back on its saving power.

who is the president with the highest Republican approval rating in American history.

you will be hearing "I don't give a drat about what the establishment liberals have to say. I'm a Trump Conservative. BUILD THE drat WALL." for the rest of your life. it won't even stop after the democrats cave to building one.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pleads posted:

Is the US going to pass laws making it a criminal offense to be a corrupt dumbass?
Is the US going to be invade by a coalition of angry antagonist who are both afraid of us going loving nuts again but also want to use us as a border state with an enemy ideology?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

There's going to be a lot of "oh come on, Trump was a weird anomaly, he wasn't even really a Republican, don't let him turn you off the GOP forever" coming from the GOP in a post-Trump world.

Not only coming from the GOP, the media will do their part to pretend trump was a one off AMD not the I'd of the Republican base.

That said I'm not sure if it will work. After getting the racism straight, as trump likes to do it, they may quickly lose interest in dog whistles anymore.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stexils posted:

what about the part where her husband didn't prosecute him and amped up drone warfare in the countries he lied us into, how does that fit into the picture

Ah, that old chestnut. Given B. Obama's reticence towards sending more troops, the decision was likely more about keeping troops safe. Was it the right decision versus an all-out withdrawl? Was this a wholly moral decision? I certainly can't answer that. But it kept American troops alive and, ostensibly that's part of the job.

I'd love for there to be no war, but I can't ignore the fact that any decision Obama made would have cost lives, considering the state of the region and the pile of poo poo he was given coming-in to the job.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SpeakSlow posted:

Don't make friends with genocidaires.

It's easy. Not one of my friends has done so much as a massacre, let alone a genocide.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lightning Knight posted:

The thing is that America is very good at memory holing the past and revising history. Trump will be rendered as a goofball idiot who was just too darn dumb to understand, and man you don't hate your racist uncle, do you? Yeah. Whitewashing the rich and powerful is the national pastime.

Speak to an old liberal some time about the Reagan administration. My good friend who is 65 remembers living through his administration pretty much the same way we feel like while watching trumps administration.

The pundit class’ ability (and thus anyone who didn’t live through their tenure) to rehab politicians with the help of time is without measure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lightning Knight posted:

I call complete bullshit. Bush isn't being whitewashed by the masses. He's being embraced by his elite of elite peers. You see the Obamas embracing him? You see President Sanders or Booker or Gillinbrand or Avenatti or whoever you are putting your hopes into in 2020 doing it? You see President Ocasio Cortez or Gillium or whoever doing it if God forbid the monster gets a second term? Really? Ok, "President Avenatti" definitely would.

This argument is literally "the thing the Bushes are doing to salvage their legacy with their peers that is also the thing Trump actively firebombs is gonna result in the exact same result." That seems flat out stupid unless I'm really missing something.

Its also a gross exaggeration (lie) to act like Biden putting a medal around his neck and Michelle Obama hugging him means WE have forgiven and forgotten about Bush. Because I see no evidence of that at large.

Will people whitewash Trump? Yeah, absolutely. People whitewash Nixon and Slavery and the Confederacy and Thanksgiving. There's people in this very forum who will find ways to applaud him if it helps attack a mutual enemy. And yeah, ever President eventually gets less hated with time. But the notion that he's going to get the same basic decorum respect every other ex-president does when he's done everything in his power to sabotage that just reeks of "nothing matters" to me.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Don't make friends with genocidaires.

It's easy. Not one of my friends has done so much as a massacre, let alone a genocide.

I'd hope not!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SpeakSlow posted:

Ah, that old chestnut. Given B. Obama's reticence towards sending more troops, the decision was likely more about keeping troops safe. Was it the right decision versus an all-out withdrawl? Was this a wholly moral decision? I certainly can't answer that. But it kept American troops alive and, ostensibly that's part of the job.

I'd love for there to be no war, but I can't ignore the fact that any decision Obama made would have cost lives, considering the state of the region and the pile of poo poo he was given coming-in to the job.

This statement doesn't lead from the other one?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

STAC Goat posted:

I call complete bullshit. Bush isn't being whitewashed by the masses. He's being embraced by his elite of elite peers. You see the Obamas embracing him? You see President Sanders or Booker or Gillinbrand or Avenatti or whoever you are putting your hopes into in 2020 doing it? You see President Ocasio Cortez or Gillium or whoever doing it if God forbid the monster gets a second term? Really? Ok, "President Avenatti" definitely would.

This argument is literally "the thing the Bushes are doing to salvage their legacy with their peers that is also the thing Trump actively firebombs is gonna result in the exact same result." That seems flat out stupid unless I'm really missing something.

Will people whitewash Trump? Yeah, absolutely. People whitewash Nixon and Slavery and the Confederacy and Thanksgiving. There's people in this very forum who will find ways to applaud him if it helps attack a mutual enemy. But the notion that he's going to get the same basic decorum respect every other ex-president does when he's done everything in his power to sabotage that just reeks of "nothing matters" to me.

Give it 3 years and you will have "elite media opinion" talking about the good old days under Bush.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

skylined! posted:

Speak to an old liberal some time about the Reagan administration. My good friend who is 65 remembers living through his administration pretty much the same way we feel like while watching trumps administration.

The pundit class’ ability (and thus anyone who didn’t live through their tenure) to rehab politicians with the help of time is without measure.

Yep. This is what scares me. Trump is basically just Reagan but more overtly douchey. Reagan got away with literal treason, funded fascist death squads, the works. Trump will be rehabilitated, the question is to what degree.

People even still go to bat for Nixon, in the sense that they're like "well at least Nixon made the EPA!" as if that wasn't a ploy to keep anymore significant change from happening, and Nixon is mostly hated for Watergate, not, you know, the conspiring to prevent a peace settlement in Vietnam to get elected, mass bombing campaigns, Southern Strategy, War on Drugs, etc....

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

Its also a gross exaggeration (lie) to act like Biden putting a medal around his neck and Michelle Obama hugging him means WE have forgiven and forgotten about Bush. Because I see no evidence of that at large.

Will people whitewash Trump? Yeah, absolutely. People whitewash Nixon and Slavery and the Confederacy and Thanksgiving. There's people in this very forum who will find ways to applaud him if it helps attack a mutual enemy. And yeah, ever President eventually gets less hated with time. But the notion that he's going to get the same basic decorum respect every other ex-president does when he's done everything in his power to sabotage that just reeks of "nothing matters" to me.

I think you are correct until Trump dies. Once Trump dies (which to be perfectly honest, with the health he's in, might be before Bush II dies), it'll be a free for all to whitewash his legacy and memory hole the worst aspects of him, and there will be an entire generation who will be like "well it can't have been that bad! Look at President Richard Spencer! Clearly you guys are exaggerating."

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SpeakSlow posted:

"that old chestnut", yes, the massive rollout of robot kill programs including multiple wedding bombings. can't believe people bring it up.

you know what else keeps american troops alive that he didn't do? withdrawing from the country. this is why people hate wishy washy libs like you. there were "no good options" because this is an unwinnable conflict.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jaxyon posted:

W wasn't dumb, he just didn't give a poo poo.

His folksy language errors and rancher aesthetic were political. He was probably average to above average intelligence. Not a big nerd like Obama but Obama was pretty smart(book smart at least).

Trump is probably dumber than Reagan, and that's really saying something.

No he was dumb, solid C student with no A's. He got where he was from pure spoiled nepotism.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Liberals have already rehabilitated Bush:

quote:

The CNN poll conducted by SSRS found 61 percent of Americans polled view Bush favorably and just 33 percent view him unfavorably.

The same poll found Bush with a 35-percent approval rating when he left the White House nine years ago.

Most of his boost comes from Democrats and independents. A majority of Democrats — 54 percent — now view Bush favorably, while 11 percent did in early 2009, the poll found.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I knew Melania hated her life but I'm a little worried about the direction she's taking

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1065288234798931968?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rigel posted:

Trump: I hereby give the military permission to help arrest illegals, and if they get rowdy you can even shoot them too!!!

Mattis: No, we are not doing any of that.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1065321469981483008

i guess wants to play at being Choltitz but with the border.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I think how trump is remembered depends on how he leaves office. If Mueller drags him and his friends to jail, he'll be reviled like nixon. Memory holed if he loses his reelection and will get the Reagan treatment if he serves two terms.

However he leaves, expect "he wasnt a real Republican " from Republicans and no pushback from the media asking why he had the best approval rating during his presidency from Republicans.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Quinnipiac poll, Democrats only (11/14-19)

Should Pelosi be speaker?

Yes: 53%
No: 27%
¯\_(ツ)_/¯: 20%

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you are correct until Trump dies. Once Trump dies (which to be perfectly honest, with the health he's in, might be before Bush II dies), it'll be a free for all to whitewash his legacy and memory hole the worst aspects of him, and there will be an entire generation who will be like "well it can't have been that bad! Look at President Richard Spencer! Clearly you guys are exaggerating."

maybe. i mean alot of nixons legacy whitewashing was done purposly by him. i mean the dude set up his own museum and had his friends run it. plus by the time he died he was mostly know as Foreighn policy wonk who wrote a gently caress ton of books on the subject. the only reason he wasn't more hosed is outside of watergate, alot of the really bad poo poo wasn't common knowledge. plus he had enough of a "postive legacy" in office that he could use. same with Reagan to an extent. i think trump will end up like Harding except actively a lovely person. i mean the loving internet exist, you can't hide and bury poo poo like you could back then. also trump is a out and out lovely rear end in a top hat with no positive traits or positive charisma. that doesn't help with building a broad positive legacy.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 21, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Reagan was a lot more popular in opinion polls than Trump is. He hasn't cracked 46 on Gallup yet. Trump is definitely not going to be the next Reagan.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bicyclops posted:

Reagan was a lot more popular in opinion polls than Trump is. He hasn't cracked 46 on Gallup yet. Trump is definitely not going to be the next Reagan.

This is a fair point, but Trump's fan base is also very motivated and I don't think the opposition to Trump will remain as motivated once he has left office. A motivated fan base can do wonders for your image, especially once you've died and aren't around to constantly make yourself look terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Trump will get rehabilitated when we look back and say "well, at least Trump only tried to turn America fascist, he didn't succeed like the 2028 president did"