Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bape Culture posted:

I had a stroke a few years ago and open heart surgery and figure I probably won’t live that long so gently caress it.

Dibs on your car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I design cars on a consultancy basis for large oems. My dad is a steel worker and thinks Im an idiot. I dont have family money and Im not rich I just try to enjoy myself and am not hugely frightened about putting cash into generally appreciating assets. I had a stroke a few years ago and open heart surgery and figure I probably wont live that long so gently caress it. Curious what Rolos post said now haha.

You post cool stuff and are a neat dude. Thanks for sharing your purchases!

And if you designed the finest automobile on the planet (the BMW m2) then thank you for that too

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I design cars on a consultancy basis for large oems. My dad is a steel worker and thinks I’m an idiot. I don’t have family money and I’m not rich I just try to enjoy myself and am not hugely frightened about putting cash into generally appreciating assets. I had a stroke a few years ago and open heart surgery and figure I probably won’t live that long so gently caress it. Curious what Rolos post said now haha.

Hang on, that's the plot from Ironman.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's not impolite to ask someone what their profession is. It's a core component of your identity and it's the answer to the incredibly existential question "What do you do?"

Defining people by what they do is a huge problem. Stop asking people that. Ask them what they do when theyre not working. Ask them what they love.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Gordon Ramsay loves yelling.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He likes being on TV and doing triathlons. Cooking doesn't pay the bills either since a lot of his restaurants closed.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mu Zeta posted:

Cooking doesn't pay the bills either since a lot of his restaurants closed.

To be fair, a lot of everyone's restaurants close.

Any recommendations on a balaclava that is warm, minimalist (i.e. isn't baggy), and doesn't make me look like a stick-up artist?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bape Culture posted:

Curious what Rolos post said now haha.

Oh It was just something along the lines of screw it I gotta straight up ask what the hell do you do? It felt unnecessary after the fact because I like this thread and your shoe posts so I figured why rock the boat.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

null_pointer posted:

Any recommendations on a balaclava that is warm, minimalist (i.e. isn't baggy), and doesn't make me look like a stick-up artist?

Your only option is to get a brightly colored balaclava. Usually in places that sell skiing or snowmobile merchandise.

We're talking hot pink or blaze orange.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

P̷͙h͖͔̙͔͍̝'̼̮̹̖̕n̢̟g̷̦̻l̮̜̱̤͜u̷̩̞̫̼i͕̱̣̩̭̦ͅ ̬̤̯̲͉̪̮m̨̹͎͙͔g̣̱̟͙͍͘l͇̱̠͇̜w̨̻͉͉̱͕'̩͇̥̗̀n̗̗͉̲͍̻̤a͜f̫͘h̵̰͇ Ct̺̖̩̲͢ͅh͎ų̻̣̟̟l̺̝͕͟h͙͔̤͍͠u̠̰͈ ͏̳͔̺R̜͈͚'͎̺̫̳l̫͚y̷̝͔͖̮̩̯͕ḙ͘h̫̟͕͙͚͓ ̯̥̲w̧̮͓g̳̤̼͈a҉̼͓̺̮̦̘h̦'̲͓͇̞̪̘n҉͔͈a̭̝͎̮͞ͅͅǵl͚̪͔̟̳͙͙ ̯̻̰͍͔͉f̡ht̷̹̺a̮͎͈̮g̴̝͖n̸͙̱ g̨̳į̪̥͎̬v̥͚͙͈͈͞ẹ͔͎͈͝ ̕m̮͡e̷̲͖ ̨a̫͔̰͙͈̫̫l͇l͓̯̤͇̩̯ ̵̤̱̣̟̼̗̻yo̵̳̼̠̺̪u̟̳̮̻̺r͏̲ ̫̘̼͍̞m̭̟̝̜̝̼̦͜ǫ̜̺̬ṇ̱̣͓e̛͔̤͓͔̺̺ͅy̷͙͓̙͎̣ͅ ̹͢i̷̭̰̞̮ ̷̼̞̖̩͙̰̬h҉̯̯̜ͅa͔͚͍͍̪v̸̗e̗̜͕ ͞á̬̮̬̬̥ ̸̟g̢̩u̝̦̤͙̰̱n͔̟̰̼̥͓̩

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

null_pointer posted:

Eh, I got two of these for $13.95 on a crazy lightning deal the other day and they're not baggy so that's at least one out of two handled. The other one is more subjective and I think it looks 100% stick-up artisty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5FTX24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Aw, man, I got long long (man))

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Coredump posted:

If you use duck (duct) tape you can seal up the edges real good between the filter and the fan as well. Also a fan may be better at blowing but if you don't want the inside of your fan to get all gunked up then put the filter on the suction side. That's what I do. Also look for a fan that has controls on the top of the fan so you have flexibility of which side of the fan to put the filter one. If the controls are on the back then you end up covering them with the filter if you go filter on the suction side.

Here's a video if you want a visual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

I can figure all the logistics out fine, it's just not something I thought about. I'm extra amused that that video's from Michigan though.

And I meant a link to the purifier oneiros got. I have one but I don't think it's enough to handle SoCal.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Happy early Black Friday

Nest Hello + 1 Year Nest Aware + Google Home Mini for $179 at Costco (PBUC)

Nest Thermostat Third Gen for $54 because I live in NH and we care about energy (for now).
NH Goons, if you have Liberty Utilities you can buy this thermostat for $54 for the next few days. It's normally $250.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

OniPanda posted:

I can figure all the logistics out fine, it's just not something I thought about. I'm extra amused that that video's from Michigan though.

And I meant a link to the purifier oneiros got. I have one but I don't think it's enough to handle SoCal.

Ah, it's a Conway Airmega. There's two sizes (300 and 400) and "S" versions of each that adds on wifi garbage for $$$. They're on the pricier end of things but it works really well and it's pretty dang quiet.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Tim Whatley posted:

Happy early Black Friday

Nest Hello + 1 Year Nest Aware + Google Home Mini for $179 at Costco (PBUC)

Nest Thermostat Third Gen for $54 because I live in NH and we care about energy (for now).
NH Goons, if you have Liberty Utilities you can buy this thermostat for $54 for the next few days. It's normally $250.

drat eversource :argh:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have that nest and its great. Thats an insanely good deal

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Rolo posted:

So REI is finishing off a coupon today, use GEARUP2018 to get 20% any single item.

I got an Osprey Volt 60 for short backpacking trips.

Now to wait patiently for spring.

A few pages back but I got one and did a fantastic job getting me through Patagonia and I love it. Definitely make sure it's properly adjusted - if you have an REI actually near you I'm sure they'd do it for you

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

App13 posted:

drat eversource :argh:
:emptyquote:

(I'm from CT though.)

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

1redflag posted:

Dibs on your car

aight but i get those sweet nike boots

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SgtScruffy posted:

A few pages back but I got one and did a fantastic job getting me through Patagonia and I love it. Definitely make sure it's properly adjusted - if you have an REI actually near you I'm sure they'd do it for you

I eyeballed it then took it to my dudes at REI and they told me I actually got it very close before tweaking it. I love REI, and they seemed happy to help me with a bag instead of helping the thousandth person find a Patagonia status symbol.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I went out with the intention of buying a MacBook Pro but ended up with one of these

XPS 15. Full 4K. 6 core gen 8 i7. 512GB SSD. 16gb DDR4. 4GB 1050ti. Etc.

The mbp was twice the price and you cant even plug in accessories without buying more poo poo lol. Hopefully this thing will be nice. Would have loved to go 13 but no way to have dedicated graphics for my work. At least now I dont have to piss about with boot camp.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am this close to buying a small Chromebook for writing/sketching

BUT

I already have a Surface 4 Pro that I barely ever use.

Please, someone who is good with money, help me. My family is dying.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I bought a 12" x 8" x 3" (at the widest points) piece of wood.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long do you have to bake it?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I think the product recommendation thread went away, but Im looking for a mattress online and HOLY poo poo is it a nightmare of misinformation. At this point Im just looking for a foam mattress that is fairly cheap and isnt secretly covered in fiberglass, which is apparently a huge problem.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JEEVES420 posted:

I bought a 12" x 8" x 3" (at the widest points) piece of wood.

As much as I like your Lichtenberg figures, I'm hoping you won't put any in that burl.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Inzombiac posted:

I am this close to buying a small Chromebook for writing/sketching

BUT

I already have a Surface 4 Pro that I barely ever use.

Please, someone who is good with money, help me. My family is dying.

Chromebooks own for writing, I love my little Acer faux-macbook air.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coffee And Pie posted:

Chromebooks own for writing, I love my little Acer faux-macbook air.

No, please. Don't give it praise.
The chief complaint I have with the Surface is that it's a tablet first. There is no elegant way to write on it with it on your lap.
The kickstand is wonderful for a desk or table. It's very comfortable for drawing and nothing else.

At the time I got it, my only other options was a Lenovo Yoga and I heard some dodgy things about them.

...goddamn it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Bape Culture posted:

I went out with the intention of buying a MacBook Pro but ended up with one of these

XPS 15. Full 4K. 6 core gen 8 i7. 512GB SSD. 16gb DDR4. 4GB 1050ti. Etc.

The mbp was twice the price and you cant even plug in accessories without buying more poo poo lol. Hopefully this thing will be nice. Would have loved to go 13 but no way to have dedicated graphics for my work. At least now I dont have to piss about with boot camp.

Razer has a 13" with a GPU. Though all other things considered the XPS is probably the best laptop on the market, and the 15" XPS is probably about the same size as other 13" laptops because of the bezel wizardry going on.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I think the product recommendation thread went away, but Im looking for a mattress online and HOLY poo poo is it a nightmare of misinformation. At this point Im just looking for a foam mattress that is fairly cheap and isnt secretly covered in fiberglass, which is apparently a huge problem.

Just buy from an amazon seller that has 10k+ ratings.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Inzombiac posted:

No, please. Don't give it praise.
The chief complaint I have with the Surface is that it's a tablet first. There is no elegant way to write on it with it on your lap.
The kickstand is wonderful for a desk or table. It's very comfortable for drawing and nothing else.

At the time I got it, my only other options was a Lenovo Yoga and I heard some dodgy things about them.

...goddamn it.

If it helps at all I got one for like $150 on Newegg and they can regularly be had for less than $200, especially if you go for a refurbished

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

If you havent seen it yet, theres a mattress thread in A/T that seems pretty reasonable. Skews toward more expensive mattresses, but still might be worth looking at.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Trabant posted:

As much as I like your Lichtenberg figures, I'm hoping you won't put any in that burl.

Nope, this has enough character on its own. I will be encasing most of the caps in various resin shapes turned on a lathe.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress, Bamboo Derived Rayon Cover, Gel Memory Foam, Made in USA, 11-Inch, Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0I8RQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_em_taa_amV9BbW5AA7P5

I bought this one a few years ago and it is extremely comfortable. And watching it poof up after being a rolled burrito in a box is fun. My only gripe is the washable cover is a bit hard to get back on the foam, and in wrestling it on there the zipper parted ways. But i have a mattress cover over the whole thing and its not a serious issue.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Bape Culture posted:

The mbp was twice the price and you cant even plug in accessories without buying more poo poo lol.

lol just got my work MBP today, couldn't plug in a normal USB cable in to charge my phone, so I used the old HP laptop that I'm returning tomorrow as a charger. Our IT department seems to be run by Apple fanboys - we could choose between a macbook pro or like the cheapest Dell Latitude.

Bought a pair of work shoes:

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Sol Republic Shadow Wireless in-ear headphones.

After I broke the 3.5mm to usb-c adaptor I've been hanging out for a pair of budget wireless headphones, and these fit the bill without cracking $130 (Australia tax). Plus, while the battery life is only 8 hrs, I can actually take calls on these and not look like a complete goober yelling into some on-ear headphones.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JEEVES420 posted:

Nope, this has enough character on its own. I will be encasing most of the caps in various resin shapes turned on a lathe.

:yeah:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Humerus posted:

Though all other things considered the XPS is probably the best laptop on the market, and the 15" XPS is probably about the same size as other 13" laptops because of the bezel wizardry going on.

Humbly disagree, I strongly considered XPS but went with the Huawei Matebook X Pro due to USB C ports, better battery, better resolution etc. Lovin dem bezels

13.9 in 3K LTPS touchscreen (3000 x 2000), 10-finger multi-touch support
Intel Core i7-8550U
16GB LPDDR3
512GB SSD
2 USB Type-C 1 USB 3.0 3.5 mm stereo headset jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAMDtXUnrUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
40% discount for their black friday sale :pray: