Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was mostly being used because the companies rent the machines, provide them to patients, and pay for the machines. But, lots of patients don't use the machines. They check to see if someone has not turned it on for over 3 months and then say that they need to use their machine or pay for it to sit there if they aren't going to use it.

The article had them denying a new mask, prescribed by a doctor, and failing to update the settings remotely, again prescribed by the doctor. Updating these settings remotely was used as the justification for the new tattling machine.

The tattling machine told them that he only used this machine (that was not working properly for him) for 3 hours and 3.5 hours instead of the 4-hour minimum. The doctor had prescribed the new mask and change of setting because it wasn't working for the patient previously.

That's some Kafka-level bureaucracy to force a user into usage compliance before you'll issue them a fix to make the machine work properly. The first time he got the insurer on the phone, the reaction should have been "Oh I see your doctor changed the prescription and settings, it's certainly not reasonable to require you to meet this arbitrary metric to fix your problem"

That's like "We've noticed that your blood sugars have been high lately, we're not going to update the basal rate setting on your insulin pump until you get that fixed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Did you read the article? This is more of a "if everything goes wrong and they have a database that we just gave them, then would GATTACA be real?" situation that people also worry about for blood donations, genealogy websites, and social media.

They have to give consent to send the data. I'd say that they only "sketchy" part is that they told him his old machine would be monitoring, but didn't say whether the new one would be different.

The fact that insurers are trying to get FEWER people on them in the first place because of how expensive they are is the real problem.

It was mostly being used because the companies rent the machines, provide them to patients, and pay for the machines. But, lots of patients don't use the machines. They check to see if someone has not turned it on for over 3 months and then say that they need to use their machine or pay for it to sit there if they aren't going to use it.

It's not really crazy to expect people to use the machine that their doctor instructed them to use every night and to send it back or pay for it yourself if you aren't going to use it.

Stop making excuses for corporations profiting from people's misery

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What are your thoughts on smart bottles that track adherence for expensive prescription drugs? It's a win for patients because the presence of monitoring makes them more likely to take their medication. But it's also a win for insurance companies that know patients are a taking medication they're [in part] paying for and will minimize incidence of secondary health complications from nonadherence. And it's an obvious win for pharma as they make more money if they get 12 TRx per year rather than 11 TRx because people forget 1 out of 10 days or so.

Just because it also benefits insurers and pharma in addition to patients smart bottles should be forbidden or discouraged? Would it be okay under a single payer system where the goal was to limit waste and constrain aggregate healthcare spend (taxes)?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Did you read the article? This is more of a "if everything goes wrong and they have a database that we just gave them, then would GATTACA be real?" situation that people also worry about for blood donations, genealogy websites, and social media.

They have to give consent to send the data. I'd say that they only "sketchy" part is that they told him his old machine would be monitoring, but didn't say whether the new one would be different.

The fact that insurers are trying to get FEWER people on them in the first place because of how expensive they are is the real problem.

It's not really crazy to expect people to use the machine that their doctor instructed them to use every night and to send it back or pay for it yourself if you aren't going to use it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some perspective on this - the Medicare threshold is 70% usage over a 30 day period, and modern CPAP machines monitor compliance either with remote monitoring as the twitter author describes, or by recording usage on a chip which you bring to your doctor. If you aren't compliant (i.e. you didn't use it enough during the period you were monitored) then yes, you're required to either return the machine or pay fees. I don't understand why Trotsky got probated for a month for this, what he said is essentially true :shrug:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Medicare sets the minimum standard for this, not really the corporations (although I guess you could say they lobbied Medicare for this but I don't think that's the case).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 21, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't understand why Trotsky got probated for a month for this, what he said is essentially true :shrug:

He is a loving awful lying troll who loving poisons these forums, just because he occasionally says things that are technically accurate is no excuse to defend him, dude is a loving Holocaust denying piece of poo poo.

I'd much rather the forums not have to refute false information that he spreads every time he posts, it makes for a better D&D experience if people aren't running around lying/trolling constantly to disrupt the discourse because they think it's fun.

Like, loving click the rap sheet, am I the only poster here who remembers who the loving lovely liars are? Why do you expect them to suddenly become good posters the half the time when they're not lying?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's fine I guess :confused: but he's not wrong in that particular post.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

aside from the part where he claims it's entirely normal and good, yes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

You have missed my point entirely, congratulations.

Seriously do other people just not have pattern recognition or something? Am I the only one who can see a pattern of lying/trolling/shitposting and then mentally file the poster into a garbage bin, never to trust them again? "But he was technically correct" is missing the forest for the trees here.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Also this, he's not even correct because he's implicitly making a value judgement that this situation is normal and fine.

E: VVV Oh, now I get why you defended him. A fellow bootlicker!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 21, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But it is entirely normal, and this type of measure to reduce cost is generally good :confused:

e:If you guys are saying "this is morally wrong and I don't like it" that's great, say that, but it is literally the norm.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WampaLord posted:

You have missed my point entirely, congratulations.

there is a caste of liberal whose moral compass, in its entirety, is the need to defend Normalcy. what is Normal must, necessarily, be good. because I am normal. and therefore I must be good.

if normalcy is not good- if normalcy in fact includes hovering over the sick in the hopes you can deny them further medical care thanks to their sleep habits- then I might not be good.

they tend to get really upset when someone isn't reassured by the statement "all procedures were followed."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there is a caste of liberal whose moral compass, in its entirety, is the need to defend Normalcy. what is Normal must, necessarily, be good.

Agh I should have known better than to talk to your dumb rear end.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

e:If you guys are saying "this is morally wrong and I don't like it" that's great, say that, but it is literally the norm.

That is actually what the person who posted the article said, and then LT2012 shat out a bunch of "technically correct" bullshit to imply that this is the norm and should continue, other people think this is an outrageous situation and yet another symptom of the profit motive in healthcare being loving terrible.

Like, do you not understand when you say "But this is normal" you're defending the lovely status quo? And that's not a great look, to defend insurance companies in 2018? Do you get that? I feel like a lot of people on this forum go "I'm just describing what the situation is" not understanding they are implicitly defending the status quo every time they do it.

CPAP machines reporting on your sleep schedule to your insurance company so they deny you benefits IS NOT NORMAL OR GOOD

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
burn down health insurance companies and salt the ashes? but they're following all the rules they wrote! there must be some mistake. you must be being unreasonable. the system says you die bankrupt. so you must deserve to die bankrupt.

unlike me. who is normal. and follows the rules. and cannot possibly imagine a situation where I'm taken out-of-network for an emergency, or just get coverage denied on grounds some insurance guy somewhere thinks he needs to keep the provider network honest.

those things happen to Bad People. you can tell. the system wouldn't punish them if they hadn't made a mistake.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Compliance should be the goal. If you have sleep apnea, CPAP's loving great for your health.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WampaLord posted:

CPAP machines reporting on your sleep schedule to your insurance company so they deny you benefits IS NOT NORMAL OR GOOD

This.

Your doctor? Fine. Good, even, as they will understand more about how the treatment is working for you.

The manufacturer? Sketchy. They should be requesting it from your doctor with your explicit consent.

Your insurance company shouldn't ever be able to see the information, just the bill.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WampaLord posted:

As it was explained to me it was reporting to a cloud portal that my sleep doctor had access to; he then filed the appropriate paperwork with insurance. I wonder if the office filed something incorrectly leading to this crazy loop.

Everyone’s insurance is different though. With mine they rented it until my first follow up, then my doctor filed some form that said “yes he is compliant” and they paid for the machine subject to normal copays for durable medical equipment.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Maybe you don't have any contact with CPAP users but a) you need to use the equipment a certain amount for it to be therapeutic at all, i.e. if you use it 1 night out of 10 then it does not provide any long term benefit to your health; b) the machines and their supplies are very expensive; and c) people literally do get them as prescribed, stick them on a shelf and never use them. When people waste expensive resources, yes, even fully socialized medicine systems will withhold them.

Accretionist posted:

Compliance should be the goal. If you have sleep apnea, CPAP's loving great for your health.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Your insurance company shouldn't ever be able to see the information, just the bill.

How do you feel about Medicare itself seeing this information and enforcing compliance :shrug: Medicare sets this standard.

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV Oh, now I get why you defended him. A fellow bootlicker!

:discourse:

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

This.

Your doctor? Fine. Good, even, as they will understand more about how the treatment is working for you.

The manufacturer? Sketchy. They should be requesting it from your doctor with your explicit consent.

The insurance company's idealistic goal is cost containment. This will be true in some form in single payer, as well. UK's NICE rejects therapies or enforces step edits using HEOR analysis. It is not good for anyone if the patient is being allocated resources, be it a medical device or drug therapy, and then is not using it. Improving health outcomes while minimizing waste is good.

But this is how these things go. Goons, leftists, and leftist goons have very strong opinions on end goals but are often disinterested or lack the background knowledge to engage in the technocratic details of implementation given finite funding.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there is something so painfully illuminating in the finest defense of trying to get people denied medical care for their sleep habits being a shrug emoji.

"i don't give a poo poo about this. so why should anyone else."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

Maybe you don't have any contact with CPAP users but a) you need to use the equipment a certain amount for it to be therapeutic at all, i.e. if you use it 1 night out of 10 then it does not provide any long term benefit to your health; b) the machines and their supplies are very expensive; and c) people literally do get them as prescribed, stick them on a shelf and never use them. When people waste expensive resources, yes, even fully socialized medicine systems will withhold them.

My beef with it is that the NHS can put it on a rent to own plan and not be a big deal because the NHS isn't going anywhere.

Meanwhile since ACA and employer plans can change every year it throws a lot of these payment plans into chaos. Some people I know have had to restart the clock on the lease when they changed insurance plans on their CPAP.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Accretionist posted:

gently caress my health, without the CPAP I sleep so poorly I can't trust myself to stay awake driving. I can't even imagine feeling bad enough to go through the hassle of doing a sleep study then not using the thing

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

But it is entirely normal, and this type of measure to reduce cost is generally good :confused:

“Burn down the insurance companies and salt the ashes” is pretty obviously a moral value judgement, yes. Your insurance company spying on you in your sleep looking for opportunities to take away medical equipment prescribed by your doctor is morally heinous and if you think it’s a good idea you’re a cold-hearted rear end in a top hat.

And don’t argue with me that the insurance company is trying to drive compliance for the sake of the patient. They’re a corporation looking to maximize profit by denying payment in every way they can get away with.

Dirk the Average posted:

This.

Agreed 100%. The doctor should be the final authority on how patients are treated. Insurance companies have no business making medical judgements or superseding a doctor’s orders.

KingNastidon posted:

What are your thoughts on smart bottles that track adherence for expensive prescription drugs? It's a win for patients because the presence of monitoring makes them more likely to take their medication. But it's also a win for insurance companies that know patients are a taking medication they're [in part] paying for and will minimize incidence of secondary health complications from nonadherence. And it's an obvious win for pharma as they make more money if they get 12 TRx per year rather than 11 TRx because people forget 1 out of 10 days or so.

Just because it also benefits insurers and pharma in addition to patients smart bottles should be forbidden or discouraged? Would it be okay under a single payer system where the goal was to limit waste and constrain aggregate healthcare spend (taxes)?

Do patients see it as a win? Were their opinions surveyed or consulted prior to development or deployment of these things? What happens when these “smart bottles” detect noncompliance? Do they report to the doctor or to insurance?

I’d be ok with this only if a doctor decided it was necessary to ensure compliance with treatment. If this was the brainchild of for-profit insurance companies solely looking to save a buck in spite of doctor or patient opinion they can get hosed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

That you don't see how this is extremely hosed up is a little concerning tbh. It's almost like people don't have full understanding of how medical technology works and require professional assistance from doctors, not to be treated poorly because they make mistakes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

“Burn down the insurance companies and salt the ashes” is pretty obviously a moral value judgement, yes.

Okay, but "this is normal/this is not normal" is pretty obviously not, and that's what I replied to, not "burn down the insurance companies".

quote:

Your insurance company spying on you in your sleep looking for opportunities to take away medical equipment prescribed by your doctor is morally heinous and if you think it’s a good idea you’re a cold-hearted rear end in a top hat.

if their goal was to take it away then why do you think they gave it to the patient in the first place :thunk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

That you don't see how this is extremely hosed up is a little concerning tbh. It's almost like people don't have full understanding of how medical technology works and require professional assistance from doctors, not to be treated poorly because they make mistakes.

Speaking of not having full understanding, it is uh, improbable that any insurance provider will extend you the coverage of some expensive rear end home treatment like a CPAP machine and then withdraw it based on one day's worth of monitoring and lack of compliance, and the twitter anecdote that you dudes are flipping out about is pretty disingenuous :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Speaking of not having full understanding, it is uh, improbable that any insurance provider will extend you the coverage of some expensive rear end home treatment like a CPAP machine and then withdraw it based on one day's worth of monitoring and lack of compliance, and the twitter anecdote that you dudes are flipping out about is pretty disingenuous :shrug:

So now you're calling that dude a liar?

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1065258162675228674

Jesus gently caress, just stop! Stop defending insurance companies! No one is forcing you to continue to double down over this, just take the L and go "wow, profit motive in healthcare is hosed up!"

E: VVV Hahaha a tone argument, loving :discourse: of course

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 21, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am suspicious of his story based on my experience with obtaining CPAP coverage, yes.

e: Wow y'all some rude motherfuckers in here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume what happened is that the machine uploaded the summary data that was in its flash when it got a data connection. This indicates that they were not using the machine, according to the tweet because they needed a new mask.

Sounds like they need to talk to their doctor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV Hahaha a tone argument, loving :discourse: of course

You're goddamn right a tone argument, yes. Would you rather I posted screenfulls of gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

You're goddamn right a tone argument, yes. Would you rather I posted screenfulls of gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU :shrug:

Ugh, these people are being so RUDE about having their insurance denied, well I never!

Can't they just die quietly so I can have a nice polite discussion about my favorite insurance companies and how awesome they are?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, those people are fine, you're a prick though :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

How do you feel about Medicare itself seeing this information and enforcing compliance :shrug: Medicare sets this standard.

I'm not happy about it. That should be fairly obvious.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

So now you're calling that dude a liar?

Stories don't need 'good guys.' They can all suck.

Based on my experience, I think he's embellishing, too.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

The insurance company's idealistic goal is cost containment. This will be true in some form in single payer, as well. UK's NICE rejects therapies or enforces step edits using HEOR analysis. It is not good for anyone if the patient is being allocated resources, be it a medical device or drug therapy, and then is not using it. Improving health outcomes while minimizing waste is good.

But this is how these things go. Goons, leftists, and leftist goons have very strong opinions on end goals but are often disinterested or lack the background knowledge to engage in the technocratic details of implementation given finite funding.

Therapy should be between the patient and the doctor. If the patient is not compliant with treatment, that is something that the doctor needs to work on, not the insurance company or NHS equivalent.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So what's the solution here, to you people? Let everyone have CPAP parts willy-nilly when they don't use them? Around 50% of CPAP users are non-compliant and do not use the device enough to be therapeutic. Let's go to the magical single-payer land now--are you proposing that there be no cost controls on them? Someone, somewhere, presumably has the power to say "you aren't even using the damned thing, no we're not spending more $$ on you." So far we've had "not insurers" and "not Medicare" so who gets to refuse you access to an ongoing expensive treatment that you refuse to use correctly? Or is that "nobody" in your book, and we all have a dusty CPAP decorating our bedside table?

I loving love mine, but if I wasn't using it, I'd totally get taxpayers not wanting to keep funding my wasted replacement parts or initial unit fee.

Edit: ^^^ Okay, so there's one answer. Your doctor can refuse you treatment if he thinks you're not compliant.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

No, those people are fine, you're a prick though :shrug:

insurance companies deny people coverage based on their sleep habits? i sleep
someone calls the people doing this a nasty name? real poo poo

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The underlying issue is when and how to ration. Under full UHC, we'd still have rationing. When and how do you go about that?

Sundae posted:

Edit: ^^^ Okay, so there's one answer. Your doctor can refuse you treatment if he thinks you're not compliant.
I'm unfamiliar with this kind of thing so I'm curious as to how Medicare developed and implemented their standard.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

insurance companies deny people coverage based on their sleep habits? i sleep
someone calls the people doing this a nasty name? real poo poo

"Those insurance companies are garbage." - Ok

"You, YWOUCH MY BAWLLSZ!!!, are a dumb piece of poo poo garbage nerd poo poo head" - Semantically exactly the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Non compliance because the patient doesn't like the noise is a huge difference from the patient not using it because the settings and mask are wrong but insurance refuses to allow the switch. If someone truly doesn't use it for 3 months and has no desire to then sure the doctor can refuse to renew prescriptions.

I like how insurance forcing people to rent the machine for 5x what it is worth goes undiscussed tho. What problem are insurance companies solving there? Or how about not allowing the patient to just buy it out of pocket in that case?

And it is clear why insurance would allow it at first but then revoke it. At the initial filing they have no room to deny the claim but they absolutely want to. So they'll throw as many hoops in your way to jump through to discourage you using it (like charging 5x the cost) or gotchas to revoke it (like not updating settings and such so the machine is unusable for you but then saying you're noncompliant).

The underlying problem people have isn't the idea of some cost controls where they're sane; but the usage of this sort of thing as a way to deny access. A $5 copay helps control costs; charging $2500 for a $500 machine is denying access.