Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Scientastic posted:

Goddamnit, as I was reading all those posts I was smugly thinking “I’m going to reply to this and explain that they’re all wrong, and everyone will think I am wise and clever” but I was too slow
Same but anyway here's the USDA study on cooking out alcohol. It doesn't really cook out, definitely not the way people think it does, so it's better to explain what's up and make it optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Wrenever posted:

I'm interested in reducing grocery bills for me and my wife, and I decided as part of the effort to start adding beans to our meals. I've never cooked dry beans before in my life so I wound up coming home with ten bags and have been casually experimenting with combining them different spices and foods.

I'm starting to learn what works and what doesn't, but is there anything in particular I should try with beans that you know would be a hit?

There is a bean thread in the archives. There are lots of recipe recommendations compiled in the second post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735

E: and if you don't have archives, here are a couple of them https://www.gonnawantseconds.com/drunken-mexican-beans-with-cilantro-and-bacon/

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe.html

fart store fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 21, 2018

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

baquerd posted:

That's just ignorant. This magic five percent number is patently false from basic chemistry and physics.
Nah, it's about right. Unless you're cooking in some radically unconventional conditions (like at the triple point of water or something).

I mean if you've got some revolutionary updates for the azeotrope tables that literally every working chemist in the world uses I guess that would be pretty interesting information. But barring that, nah.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Weltlich posted:

Yeah, beans are a great bang-for-the-buck food. Every type of bean has a different flavor/texture profile, though. So there are things you can do with black beans that you can't do with pintos or pink beans, etc. Cranberry or "October" beans are my go-to for soup beans, I like black beans for some rice dishes, red kidneys for chilis, etc etc.

Eeyo posted:

Refried beans

fart store posted:

bean links

Awesome, thank you guys. I'm going to try out the refried beans recipe first and work my way through this stuff. :)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I have this country cure ham I picked up this summer when I was on travel to Smithfield.

What can/should I do with it for tomorrow?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ask the gondolier which he prefers

:argh: loving comedians

Thanks everyone

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SubG posted:

Nah, it's about right. Unless you're cooking in some radically unconventional conditions (like at the triple point of water or something).

I mean if you've got some revolutionary updates for the azeotrope tables that literally every working chemist in the world uses I guess that would be pretty interesting information. But barring that, nah.

:fap:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

ironically he advised using 5% lye for breads

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Regarding this recipe: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie.html

What difference would it make if I used complete eggs instead of yolks?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Jewel Repetition posted:

Regarding this recipe: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie.html

What difference would it make if I used complete eggs instead of yolks?

Including whites where only yolks are prescribed will make the filling more firm, i believe. Like less creamy and more bounce.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

fart store posted:

Including whites where only yolks are prescribed will make the filling more firm, i believe. Like less creamy and more bounce.

Thanks.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

For most normal cooks with deglazing and wine, it's a fine rule of thumb. The idea that boiling standard ABV beer doesn't drive off more alcohol than water over time is dumb though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

For most normal cooks with deglazing and wine, it's a fine rule of thumb. The idea that boiling standard ABV beer doesn't drive off more alcohol than water over time is dumb though.
For most cooking liquids starting out at room temperature yeah, you'll see the proportion of ethanol go down. At first. But not linearly, and not to zero.

Same underlying reason why Everclear is only 190 proof. The boiling point of ethanol is much lower than water, so you ought to just be able to simmer a, say, 90% solution of ethanol, collect the vapour, and end up with 100% ethanol, right? Nope. Because even though Rault's law predicts a nice linear vapour-liquid equilibrium curve, real solutions don't behave that way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

For most cooking liquids starting out at room temperature yeah, you'll see the proportion of ethanol go down. At first. But not linearly, and not to zero.

Same underlying reason why Everclear is only 190 proof. The boiling point of ethanol is much lower than water, so you ought to just be able to simmer a, say, 90% solution of ethanol, collect the vapour, and end up with 100% ethanol, right? Nope. Because even though Rault's law predicts a nice linear vapour-liquid equilibrium curve, real solutions don't behave that way.

I don't think we're disagreeing, unless you are claiming that boiling beer drives off amounts of ethanol and water directly proportionate to the starting concentration?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

I don't think we're disagreeing, unless you are claiming that boiling beer drives off amounts of ethanol and water directly proportionate to the starting concentration?
You said `That's just ignorant. This magic five percent number is patently false from basic chemistry and physics.'

That's wrong. Five percent is true. From basic chemistry. And empirically.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

So I have this country cure ham I picked up this summer when I was on travel to Smithfield.

What can/should I do with it for tomorrow?

Ham.
Biscuits.

It's simple, and it's truly the best way to enjoy a country-cure ham.

Make buttermilk biscuits, then fork-split them. Slice the ham into 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Put the slices on the biscuits. Eat them and enjoy.

You can add a little grated cheddar to the tops of the biscuits if you want a cheesy biscuit.

You can add a little butter to the biscuit before putting on the ham. Some people like a stone-ground mustard to go along with them. I personally like a honey mustard.

My Grandmother used to put a slice of pickled tomato on hers.

But ham biscuits is the way to go.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Weltlich posted:

Ham.
Biscuits.

It's simple, and it's truly the best way to enjoy a country-cure ham.

Make buttermilk biscuits, then fork-split them. Slice the ham into 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Put the slices on the biscuits. Eat them and enjoy.

You can add a little grated cheddar to the tops of the biscuits if you want a cheesy biscuit.

You can add a little butter to the biscuit before putting on the ham. Some people like a stone-ground mustard to go along with them. I personally like a honey mustard.

My Grandmother used to put a slice of pickled tomato on hers.

But ham biscuits is the way to go.

Thanks!

I think the ham is gonna be a Christmas dish instead tho, because it apparently needs 24-36 hours of soaking prior to cooking. :saddowns:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It sounds like two different percentages are being discussed here. When they say you can't reduce down below about 5%, that's 5% of the original alcohol present, not 5% ABV. Obviously you can get below 5% ABV in whatever you're making, just dump in a shitton of water.

Also, that 5% number, IIRC, is normalized to the overall mass reduction of the dish, so the absolute amount of alcohol remaining is slightly less.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Turkey in the oven. Now the waiting begins.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
For the first time since I was a preteen, I’m not responsible for most of dinner this year. Mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole is all I’m doing. Well, I also volunteered to make gravy at my gf’s mom’s house where she’s making turkey to bring over; I got the giblets yesterday and used them for instant pot stock along with a chicken carcass I had in the freezer.

E: oh Jesus she’s pulling the turkey apart with her hands, this is a massacre

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 22, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wanna pet eat dat birb

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Since I'm away from my family this year I thought I would be a contrarian and make myself a chicken for Thanksgiving, but I forgot I'm also a dumb piece of poo poo and accidentally bought a 5.5 pounder, which is way too large. Is there a good way to cook this and keep the whole thing moist? I salted and rubbed it last night.

Also, in keeping with the "dumb piece of poo poo" theme, this place I'm renting only seems to have cookie sheets, not a roasting pan (it has literally everything else.) Is there a way to make this work or did I gently caress myself?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As long as there's a rim to contain the juices a cookie sheet will be fine. Cookie sheets are pretty big so you should be able to spatchcock it easily.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Ham biscuits without red-eye gravy seems like a major oversight.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
As GF said the cookie sheet will be fine, you could make a boat out of aluminum foil and set it inside that if you’re paranoid. Also, just spatchcock the chicken, I cook ones that size spatchcocked all the time and they’re always juicy and delicious.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone got a good recipe for southern biscuits? Online seems to agree that flour, cold butter, and buttermilk is good but the proportions and such are all over the place

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lawnie posted:

As GF said the cookie sheet will be fine, you could make a boat out of aluminum foil and set it inside that if you’re paranoid. Also, just spatchcock the chicken, I cook ones that size spatchcocked all the time and they’re always juicy and delicious.
Me at the market yesterday: "I'm out of aluminum foil but I probably wont need any more, whatever"

It's a pretty shallow rim, but I guess I'll take my chances. Thanks for the tip about spatchcocking, I've never done that before, just roasted the whole fucker, but maybe it's time to give it a shot – I usually prefer smaller cocks.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Totally Reasonable posted:

Ham biscuits without red-eye gravy seems like a major oversight.

If it's part of a meal, I'd agree. But this is specifically "party food." There would always be a platter of these out on Christmas Eve right next to the punch bowl.

I mean, I guess you could have gravy at a party, too. Hell of a party.

Annath posted:

Thanks!

I think the ham is gonna be a Christmas dish instead tho, because it apparently needs 24-36 hours of soaking prior to cooking. :saddowns:

I know this is a little late - but we never cooked ours. If it's a smoked and cured Virginia ham, then it's Blue Ridge Prosciutto.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Weltlich posted:

If it's part of a meal, I'd agree. But this is specifically "party food." There would always be a platter of these out on Christmas Eve right next to the punch bowl.

I mean, I guess you could have gravy at a party, too. Hell of a party.

I know this is a little late - but we never cooked ours. If it's a smoked and cured Virginia ham, then it's Blue Ridge Prosciutto.

Why did you never cook yours? :saddowns:

But yeah, the stuff is almost worth its weight in gold. My mom always tells the story of how when her family moved here (Virginia) from Ohio, someone gifted them a Virginia smoked/cured country ham. My Grandma didn't know you had to soak/cook it, nor about the rind sometimes having mold. They were used to the precooked, spiral-cut honeybaked hams.

So she unwrapped it, took one look at it, and threw it out.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Why did you never cook yours? :saddowns:

But yeah, the stuff is almost worth its weight in gold. My mom always tells the story of how when her family moved here (Virginia) from Ohio, someone gifted them a Virginia smoked/cured country ham. My Grandma didn't know you had to soak/cook it, nor about the rind sometimes having mold. They were used to the precooked, spiral-cut honeybaked hams.

So she unwrapped it, took one look at it, and threw it out.

GWS: Sad Ham Stories

So I'm not sure about your specific ham - the ones my family had were literally butchered and cured in the smokehouse on the farm. They were seriously like hillbilly prosciutto - a ham wasn't considered "ready to eat" for at least a year after it was hung.

But if that ham came with directions to soak and cook, then I'd roll with that. It may be a different cure process than the ones we used to have. I'd still make ham biscuits out of it, though.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've been caught in a cycle of not jumping on sales when they happen and wanting one when they're listed at full price for a while and was pleased to see that, when checking on a whim, the Thermapen Mk4 is on sale for Black Friday for $74.25. This is the lowest it gets for new-in-box Thermapens, and this is the only place you can get them. It's the fastest, most accurate thermometer on the market. Get yourself an early Christmas present. Get something nice for the fellow cook in your life. Get out of my house.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Xun posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for southern biscuits? Online seems to agree that flour, cold butter, and buttermilk is good but the proportions and such are all over the place

Here's mine. This is for all purpose flour, if you've got self rising omit the baking powder. The lemon juice is because I can't get buttermilk. If you can get buttermilk, substitute it for the milk and lemon juice. This makes about six decent sized biscuits.

weighted biscuit recipe

300g flour
70g butter
8g baking powder
227g milk
10g lemon juice
10g sugar
6g salt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a fun / neat seasoning combo for sous vide turkey breast? Can go with salt, pepper, lemon, herbs de Provence if nothing else but looking for something else interesting to try now that I grabbed a bunch of turkey sales.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

That Works posted:

Anyone got a fun / neat seasoning combo for sous vide turkey breast? Can go with salt, pepper, lemon, herbs de Provence if nothing else but looking for something else interesting to try now that I grabbed a bunch of turkey sales.

Porchetta-like flavors are good: red pepper, fennel, garlic, sage, lemon.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Anyone have recommendations for cookware sets? Looking for a set that will be good for daily use for a few years. Criteria is a basic set (don't really need more than a few pans and pots), not more than a few hundos, no strong opinions about materials (but I generally gravitate towards stainless, except for one nonstick). Bonus points for space saving designs (but really not necessary, I'd rather have a set I don't have to worry about)

I also live in a metropolitan area with a bunch of restaurant supply stores - would I be better off with stuff from there? tia

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Don't buy sets unless you really aspire to fit in with the ~~~Williams Sonoma a e s t h e t i c~~~

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I am immediately suspicious of anyone with matching cookware.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Then recommend me pots and pans! I need a stainless skillet, a nonstick skillet, a few saucepans and ??

They don't need to be fancy but they need to do the job well for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Almost all of my pots and pans are from thrift stores and places like TJ Maxx. The latter always, always have nice name brand stuff at a steep discount.