Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Knock on wood, it looks like CA-21 might go blue as well. Incumbent leads by less than a thousand votes right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it all depends on how the last kern county ballot dump goes

this seat flipping really would be icing on the cake, since i always thought CA-21 would be valadao's for as long as he wanted it; he's way more popular than he has any right to be in a district that both obama and hillary won by over 10 points

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ben McAdams flipped District 4 in Utah back to Democratic by just enough votes to avoid a recount.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Seth Moulton is trash and the people who elected him are the most Panera Bread human garbage on Earth. loving North Shore.

Good to hear that he's getting his rear end kicked though.

I would not be shocked if he gets primaried incredibly hard over this poo poo. People are pisssssed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Has this been posted here yet?

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1064942126717419520

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
She gave in earlier today in exchange for chairing a subcommittee

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Glumslinger posted:

She gave in earlier today in exchange for chairing a subcommittee

Doesn't make this any less hosed up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1065072400864354304

This woman is a dope.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Smith was a Democrat as late as 10 years ago and she refuses to say whether she voted for Obama or Clinton in the primary. She claims she voted for a minor candidate who she can't even remember, but it's obviously a lie.

But Dinesh will tell you there was no party switch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Pre-existence conditions, you will be covered regardless of how the sick the primordial ooze you evolved from was.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

Pre-existence conditions, you will be covered regardless of how the sick the primordial ooze you evolved from was.

Ooze on first?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1065273697169276935

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Yes yesss, I want that magic media narrative number that will depress Trump more. Gimme the four zero! (also four anything else too would be cool).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is a good article about Ohio
https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/1065312207393705984

I think Pepper needs to go, having the chair of the ODP be from the corner of the state that is furthest from its Democratic base is ridiculous. The losses in Dem support in NE Ohio are what is turning the state red, and David Pepper has no clue what to do about it. I have lived in NE Ohio and Cincinnati, in fact they are the only two places I have ever lived, and they could not be more different. Hell, Joe Schiavoni should chair the ODP.....he's got nothing better to do now that he's term limited in the Ohio Senate (a seat that is now red).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Grape posted:

Yes yesss, I want that magic media narrative number that will depress Trump more. Gimme the four zero! (also four anything else too would be cool).

When no one was looking, the Democrats took forty seats. They took 40 seats. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s terrible.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mahoning posted:

This is a good article about Ohio
https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/1065312207393705984

I think Pepper needs to go, having the chair of the ODP be from the corner of the state that is furthest from its Democratic base is ridiculous. The losses in Dem support in NE Ohio are what is turning the state red, and David Pepper has no clue what to do about it. I have lived in NE Ohio and Cincinnati, in fact they are the only two places I have ever lived, and they could not be more different. Hell, Joe Schiavoni should chair the ODP.....he's got nothing better to do now that he's term limited in the Ohio Senate (a seat that is now red).

The thought of Ohio being permanently lost is legit scary because the common wisdom, which I can recall being repeated even when I was small child hearing about President-elect Clinton, was that Ohio is kind of the political axis of america, the quintessential bellweather for national and especially presidential politics. Both teams could win and which one wins it sets the tone for the rest of the nation. It's hard to process that just not being the case anymore, even in a world where Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona and even Texas are trending more and more blue every year and the electoral map has plenty of other places for democrats to go win.

I hope Ohio's state party and fix their mess. Sherrod Brown seems really cool, and if he can win without being a Manchin and selling his soul then its absurd that other Ds in the state can't.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sanguinia posted:

The thought of Ohio being permanently lost is legit scary because the common wisdom, which I can recall being repeated even when I was small child hearing about President-elect Clinton, was that Ohio is kind of the political axis of america, the quintessential bellweather for national and especially presidential politics. Both teams could win and which one wins it sets the tone for the rest of the nation. It's hard to process that just not being the case anymore, even in a world where Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona and even Texas are trending more and more blue every year and the electoral map has plenty of other places for democrats to go win.

I hope Ohio's state party and fix their mess. Sherrod Brown seems really cool, and if he can win without being a Manchin and selling his soul then its absurd that other Ds in the state can't.

It was convenient shorthand. Ohio was something of a battleground state with enough population/EV to really help/hurt. But it's becoming less and less purple and more red as demographics and economic realities shift.

Florida is more concerning, just because it's an even bigger pile of EV--though the new re-enfranchisement may help matters. If GA, NC, and TX continue on their trajectories Ohio will be irrelevant.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I'd hold off on calling Florida lost until we find out if the newly-enfranchised felons vote or not

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Not to mention Floridas going to be underwater in 20 years. The Lost Electoral Votes of Atalantis is my working title for the best-selling adventure novel that will allow me to afford bread post-retirement

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I'd hold off on calling Florida lost until we find out if the newly-enfranchised felons vote or not

DeSantis and the legislature are going to gently caress with it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
20 years ago the bellweather state was Missouri. Obama lost it twice and still crushed his opponents.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ague Proof posted:

DeSantis and the legislature are going to gently caress with it.

yea I'm looking forward to the first 'ok voting rights for felons but no one charged with violent crimes also resisting arrest is violent crime also the cops constantly charge minorities with resisting just for complaining about being knocked around or whatever' law that'll languish in the courts juuuuust long enough to keep people from voting in 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Or they'll just start relying on good old voter suppression now that relying on disenfranchisement is harder

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sanguinia posted:

Not to mention Floridas going to be underwater in 20 years. The Lost Electoral Votes of Atalantis is my working title for the best-selling adventure novel that will allow me to afford bread post-retirement

Yeah, but Atlantis is gonna still have 2 senators representing the gators living in the swamp that was formerly Florida

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, but Atlantis is gonna still have 2 senators representing the gators living in the swamp that was formerly Florida

the honorable senator 'hiiiiiiiiissssss' resents your implication that he doesn't deserve his seat, sir!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Isn't the panhandle high enough elevation that Florida the state will continue to exist no problem? Not that nearly as many people will be living there

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Florida will be represented by Senators Barack Obama and John F Kennedy, borrowed from Disneyland.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't the panhandle high enough elevation that Florida the state will continue to exist no problem? Not that nearly as many people will be living there

Yeah, barring some ridic waterworld sea level rise the only part really at risk is south of lake okeechobee.

More realistic is that Miami beach is gone, rest of south florida loses a few blocks, but the drinking water aquifer rises in salinity. That will necessitate desalinization plants or mass importation of water from up north...both incredibly expensive public works projects.

Florida just passed an amendment requiring a 2/3 majority to raise taxes.

South florida will still be there in 20 years, but it might not be all that great a place to live.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm looking forward to the first 'ok voting rights for felons but no one charged with violent crimes also resisting arrest is violent crime also the cops constantly charge minorities with resisting just for complaining about being knocked around or whatever' law that'll languish in the courts juuuuust long enough to keep people from voting in 2020

thanks for this take but we already amended the constitution and it plainly forbids the conduct you're describing!

Article VI, Section 4. Disqualifications.— posted:

(a) No person convicted of a felony, or adjudicated in this or any other state to be mentally incompetent, shall be qualified to vote or hold office until restoration of civil rights or removal of disability. Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, any disqualification from voting arising from a felony conviction shall terminate and voting rights shall be restored upon completion of all terms of sentence including parole or probation.

(b) No person convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense shall be qualified to vote until restoration of civil rights.

underlined text is the added language of amendment 4. bolded emphasis is mine. murder and felony sex crimes only, nothing else.

i wish people here would stop projecting their :matters: fan fiction on the actual win we got in florida, diminishing all the hard work that went into it

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 22, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I am digging the Delegate Boysko's record on Human Rights and Progressive change. She is up to replace Wexton's in VA 33rd District.

She sponsored the VA Human Rights Act: https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/677842

Tried to expand what constitutes a Hate Crime: https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/782387

Is currently trying to make it easier to get your sex changed on your birth certificate, pretty huge for trans people : http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB407
(If I am reading this right, all you would need is basically a doctors note saying "Yes, you are taking hormone therapies etc" and don't have to follow up with any documentation or invasive requirements.)

Trying to pass a bill to make sure that you are informed if your registration is denied and what needs to be fixed on it : http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB272

Created the Virginia Equal Pay Act : http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB1089
(This one is interesting because it is attacking pay disparity along racial, gender, AND sexual orientation lines. She is sponsoring one for gov employees as well.)

A lot of these failed in committee, but her record is pretty clear on the subject so that is really loving important. Also, Republicans control the majority by ONE in the House of Delegates so it's no wonder these died in committee...

Also, this loving bill: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB1231
gently caress yes! Any VA Goons plan to volunteer for this special election?

She also has a negative score from the Gun-Chud state organization and is trying to pass a bill that makes gun sellers civilly liable if they sell a weapon without performing a background check and then that weapon is used in a crime.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 23, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

thanks for this take but we already amended the constitution and it plainly forbids the conduct you're describing!

underlined text is the added language of amendment 4. bolded emphasis is mine. murder and felony sex crimes only, nothing else.

i wish people here would stop projecting their :matters: fan fiction on the actual win we got in florida, diminishing all the hard work that went into it

what if they define resisting arrest as a felony sex crime?

checkmate, ekeoutailures

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what if they define resisting arrest as a felony sex crime?

checkmate, ekeoutailures

For a second I read that as "Felony Sax Crime' :sax:

e: poo poo that'd be a great username

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For a second I read that as "Felony Sax Crime' :sax:

e: poo poo that'd be a great username

Be safe everyone who plays Baker Street!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

friendbot2000 posted:

I am digging the Delegate Boysko's record on Human Rights and Progressive change. She is up to replace Wexton's in VA 33rd District.

She sponsored the VA Human Rights Act: https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/677842

Tried to expand what constitutes a Hate Crime: https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/782387

Is currently trying to make it easier to get your sex changed on your birth certificate, pretty huge for trans people : http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB407
(If I am reading this right, all you would need is basically a doctors note saying "Yes, you are taking hormone therapies etc" and don't have to follow up with any documentation or invasive requirements.)

Trying to pass a bill to make sure that you are informed if your registration is denied and what needs to be fixed on it : http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB272

Created the Virginia Equal Pay Act : http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB1089
(This one is interesting because it is attacking pay disparity along racial, gender, AND sexual orientation lines. She is sponsoring one for gov employees as well.)

A lot of these failed in committee, but her record is pretty clear on the subject so that is really loving important. Also, Republicans control the majority by ONE in the House of Delegates so it's no wonder these died in committee...

Also, this loving bill: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB1231
gently caress yes! Any VA Goons plan to volunteer for this special election?

She also has a negative score from the Gun-Chud state organization and is trying to pass a bill that makes gun sellers civilly liable if they sell a weapon without performing a background check and then that weapon is used in a crime.

Is this the December Special Election or the January one?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

hey does 'felony sex crime' include stuff like prostitution since you wanna get super defensive about a half joke post about how republicans suppress votes?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

hey does 'felony sex crime' include stuff like prostitution since you wanna get super defensive about a half joke post about how republicans suppress votes?

nah not without some kind of aggravating element, like involving a minor or forcing someone into prostitution

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 24, 2018

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Giving up on Ohio would be stupid. Republicans only won the popular vote here by a few percentage points. There's still a ton of Democrats here who got hosed over by gerrymandering and they shouldn't just be abandoned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DonnerKay/status/1066206830907535362

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You know, at the rate she's self-destructing, I'd say that if Espy had another month he might have been able to pull it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You know, at the rate she's self-destructing, I'd say that if Espy had another month he might have been able to pull it out.

That's what they said about DeSantis. Never underestimate the nakedly racist vote, especially in the deep south.