Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Yeah i didn't even bother watching the sharknado rifftrax, what's the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember when people would say "don't worry, Sharknado is great because they made it bad on purpose" as if that was somehow supposed to excuse it being garbage. Now that we're up to like 4 of them nobody is saying that anymore thankfully.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've seen the first two Sharknado only on rifftrax twitch and I found them surprisingly enjoyable, probably because my expectations were staggeringly low going in.

The incredible piling-on of abuse onto Ian Ziering and Mark McGrath in the second one is just fantastic.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

it's sad and maybe a little hypocritical that they did an entire host segment lambasting the exact thing they're doing now. maybe i'm taking it too seriously, though. i guess we'll see

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Yeah i didn't even bother watching the sharknado rifftrax, what's the point

Even Kevin said something to the effect of 'when you set out to make a bad movie, all you have succeeded at is failure.'

Going back to Birdemic, it's the difference between Birdemic and Birdemic 2. Sure, yes, the first one is about a James' self-insert software salesman who dates a lingerie model, becomes independently wealthy, buys 'solrpnls' and becomes embroiled in birds trying to kill us for climate change. Badly acted? Terrible effects? Going out of his way to list Tippi Hedren in the credits? Yes, all of these things and more are true, my goons. However, it's a film he genuinely wanted to make. There is no craft, but at least there is passion. I'll even say the same for Neil Breen's movies or Miami Connection. Somebody who loved film made them, even if they had no talent for them. Birdemic 2 is just... ha-ha I meant to do that and purposefully doing things like adding in terrible ADR just because the first film had it. It's not learning from mistakes.

Asylum is just cranking things out under budget that are vaguely resembling something popular so SyFy can fill two hours. It's cinema as assembly line. Barf. I'd actually want the guys to be more vicious, but that runs the risk of a riff like The Phantom Mendace where I think they're mostly just mad at what they see as wasted potential.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 21, 2018

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Patton Oswalt says not to binge "The Gauntlet"

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1064943787586203649

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

it's sad and maybe a little hypocritical that they did an entire host segment lambasting the exact thing they're doing now. maybe i'm taking it too seriously, though. i guess we'll see

Is there a YT link to what you are taking about?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You're not the boss of me, TV's Son of TV's Frank!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is there a YT link to what you are taking about?

https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/MST3K_1104_-_Avalanche

Host segment 4.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

You're not the boss of me, TV's Son of TV's Frank!!

He will be once Kinga takes over the world. :colbert:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

ringu0 posted:

So when does The Gauntlet become available this Thursday?

The definitive answer:

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/1065304012600238080

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Any demand for a simulwatch thread this go around?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i'm doing the gauntlet all at once because i have no life

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm actually spending my day tomorrow with loved ones like some kind of loser

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

I'm actually spending my day tomorrow with loved ones like some kind of loser

I'm doing this and then the Gauntlet on Friday.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am going to be studiously ignoring the advice of Tv's Son because me and my brothers did Thanksgiving two days ago and I have the day off so, well, I cant think of a better way to waste my time. I only wish there was a non sci fi/Monster/fantasy movie in the Gauntlet. I really find that it is often the non genre pictures that really stick with me. Avalanche, while still technically a sort of horror film I guess, was really a nice pallette cleanser in the last season and I kind of miss the somewhat more varied library of the earlier seasons.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
There was a live episode, I think one of the shorts marathons, where Kevin expressed his hatred for The Room*. It makes sense; they probably had to riff it just due to fan demand, but at the same time what's the point of poking fun at such an obviously poor effort?

* I also hate The Room and am genuinely baffled by the non-ironic(?) love(?) for Wiseau.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still haven't seen The Room, but my understanding was that Wiseau really did try when he was making the film, which is what makes it being so bad so interesting. He didn't set out to make camp like the Sharknado people, he just seems to be a genuinely insane person with money that didn't know how to tell a story but wanted to anyway, and nowadays tries to pretend it was some Kaufman-esque stunt for his own ego. I don't think anyone unironically loves Tommy himself, who is very probably abusive and weird, but some people are a little fascinated that he seemed to appear from nowhere with enough money to make a film, even if it is terribly made.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

If I can survive the regular Turkey Day marathon, I'm sure I can survive this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Any demand for a simulwatch thread this go around?

I was just wondering about that. I liked it last time. Of course I couldn’t resist binging, so most of those were re-watches. But goon watch threads are always fun.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

RE: Cinematic Titanic DVD collection

rydiafan posted:

It's all of them. I own it.

I bought a copy because of this post and my DVD collection came in the mail today!

Happy Gauntlet everyone!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Bicyclops posted:

I'm doing this and then the Gauntlet on Friday.

I'm going to watch Mac & Me tomorrow with my daughter because she's seen it unMSTed; my wife's grandpa actually shows that movie to the kids in the family, which explains a whole hell of a lot about my in-laws I guess. It is a deeply weird film for being a kid's movie.

But the rest will have to wait until later tomorrow/Friday.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I still haven't seen The Room, but my understanding was that Wiseau really did try when he was making the film, which is what makes it being so bad so interesting. He didn't set out to make camp like the Sharknado people, he just seems to be a genuinely insane person with money that didn't know how to tell a story but wanted to anyway, and nowadays tries to pretend it was some Kaufman-esque stunt for his own ego. I don't think anyone unironically loves Tommy himself, who is very probably abusive and weird, but some people are a little fascinated that he seemed to appear from nowhere with enough money to make a film, even if it is terribly made.

Yeah, that's partly why I put in a bunch of parenthetical question marks, because between the original movie, Senestro's follow-on book, and then the movie of that book, I legitimately do not know how much of the pop culture swirl around the whole enchilada is genuine vs. ironic vs. meta-ironic. I will say I actually watched it during one of Adult Swim's April Fools broadcasts, maybe in 2010, and just thought it was some goofy bad movie that they were taking the piss out of. Then seemingly out of nowhere like 5 years later it becomes this huge cultural phenomenon. Very strange.

E: And yeah, the other part of my distaste is for Wiseau himself, who is clearly just a rich weird rear end in a top hat lacking in self-awareness. Case in point: Tommy Wiseau ends a lengthy chat about his new sitcom by calling our interviewer a prick

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 22, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’m going to alternate between this and Joe Bob Briggs ‘Last Drive In’

Family eats at noon and I have gently caress all to do after that

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Plus, Corman gave us The Undead, a film with no zombies but lots of bizarre medieval speech.

STAAAY!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So by six episodes does that mean they only got half as many episodes as the return season? I don’t know why I didn’t notice before

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Peacoffee posted:

So by six episodes does that mean they only got half as many episodes as the return season? I don’t know why I didn’t notice before

They're apparently releasing shorter seasons more often, which Netflix has been doing with a lot of their original shows.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It should be noted that the shorter seasons thing has come to pass with several different series so far, but the more often thing has yet to actually make an appearance. A little early perhaps to judge that end of it I suppose though.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Oh. Well, yay! Seemed more of a deathknell suddenly, but that’s much more promising.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

remusclaw posted:

It should be noted that the shorter seasons thing has come to pass with several different series so far, but the more often thing has yet to actually make an appearance. A little early perhaps to judge that end of it I suppose though.

How do you mean? DreamWorks Dragons put out six seasons in three years when it was on Netflix, and Voltron technically has had seven seasons released in just two and a half years.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Peacoffee posted:

Oh. Well, yay! Seemed more of a deathknell suddenly, but that’s much more promising.

It isn't. Netflix is hilariously slowly turning into what it was supposed to be an alternative to. In three years time they will announce how new shows will follow "a new, one episode a week format" and by then they'll also announce "we are experimenting with a new movie release paradigm where we release our films only in theatres for four months and then they appear on our service". We also already see ads for other Netflix shows so it won't be too long before there will commercials for partners too.

Subscriptions will drop and they'll blame piracy or restrictive net neutrality laws or whatever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

How do you mean? DreamWorks Dragons put out six seasons in three years when it was on Netflix, and Voltron technically has had seven seasons released in just two and a half years.

I had thought the new shorter but more often schedule was launched with the new half seasons of Kimmy Schmitt and Arrested Development and neither of them are old enough yet to really get a feel on whether this whole thing is going to go as planned or not. That said, if they have been doing it longer, then well I have only been paying attention to it for a little bit and I am sorry to have relayed misinformation.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Undead makes me so happy. Dumb doctor guy travels back in time to bring woman he sent back into the present day, and then in the debate scene is one of the characters to shout STAAAY!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Laterite posted:

Yeah, that's partly why I put in a bunch of parenthetical question marks, because between the original movie, Senestro's follow-on book, and then the movie of that book, I legitimately do not know how much of the pop culture swirl around the whole enchilada is genuine vs. ironic vs. meta-ironic. I will say I actually watched it during one of Adult Swim's April Fools broadcasts, maybe in 2010, and just thought it was some goofy bad movie that they were taking the piss out of. Then seemingly out of nowhere like 5 years later it becomes this huge cultural phenomenon. Very strange.

E: And yeah, the other part of my distaste is for Wiseau himself, who is clearly just a rich weird rear end in a top hat lacking in self-awareness. Case in point: Tommy Wiseau ends a lengthy chat about his new sitcom by calling our interviewer a prick

Yeah, this is true. While I enjoyed The Disaster Artist well enough, once I got back from watching it I started finding all these things that said how deeply unpleasant Wiseau could be. That didn't make it into the film, of course, because he's charmed DeFranco for whatever reason. It takes some of the charm off the whole thing.

That and apparently Wiseau wouldn't allow the guys to sell it as 'Riff + Movie.'

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, if we see a new batch of episodes in April/May, then I'll buy the whole "more often" thing. But it seems like a bit of a copout.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

I had thought the new shorter but more often schedule was launched with the new half seasons of Kimmy Schmitt and Arrested Development and neither of them are old enough yet to really get a feel on whether this whole thing is going to go as planned or not. That said, if they have been doing it longer, then well I have only been paying attention to it for a little bit and I am sorry to have relayed misinformation.

Fuller House also does it.

InfiniteZero posted:

It isn't. Netflix is hilariously slowly turning into what it was supposed to be an alternative to. In three years time they will announce how new shows will follow "a new, one episode a week format" and by then they'll also announce "we are experimenting with a new movie release paradigm where we release our films only in theatres for four months and then they appear on our service". We also already see ads for other Netflix shows so it won't be too long before there will commercials for partners too.

Subscriptions will drop and they'll blame piracy or restrictive net neutrality laws or whatever.

You realise they do this with their talk shows, right? And shows they purchase distribution rights for internationally? And other streaming services also do it? It's arguably better for sustained engagement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peacoffee posted:

They also didn't have the mountain of cash from the Kickstarter they did for Season 11. They did a pledge drive, but it didn't start until after Season 12 had already wrapped. So they were reliant on Netflix money entirely this time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pictured: Some weirdos and also Cambot.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Why is Pearl on there twice, and why is Trumpy on there rather than Torgo or Ortega?

Also I don't recognize the lady above and to the right of Servo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The other Pearl is Synthia, a clone of Pearl (played by Rebecca Hanson, who is also the new Gypsy).