Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Didn't we have that discussion already?

Maybe? I've got a lot on my mind at the minute. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

potatocubed posted:

There are a bunch of people on his G+ and Twitter talking about creating a new old-school community but without the lovely parts. I have no idea if it'll take, or if they'll just fall back into orbit around the same old bad stars.

No one will ever succeed in building a non-lovely community that is entirely predicated on nostalgia, especially lovely nerd nostalgia.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

And yet they continue making Doctor Who, Star Wars, and Warhammer.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Terrible Opinions posted:

And yet they continue making Doctor Who, Star Wars, and Warhammer.

"Nostalgic star wars fans" are maybe not the best counterexample given the insane backlash the new star wars has recieved for, among other things, having a female jedi, featuring a black man, and allowing a woman to have dyed hair.

tbf same with doctor who and having a female doctor.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, both Star Wars and Doctor Who are seeing the best numbers ever because they've purposefully and intentionally ditched the lovely reactionary parts of their fandoms.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Star Wars mainline movies have done a fairly descent job, but their EU stuff continues to be dreadful. NuWho might have turned around with the most recent doctor but I gave up when it was clear it was all gonna be bad because it was written by fans whose media consumption had primarily been Doctor Who before becoming writers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has Doctor Who gotten away from Steven "never write a female character you wouldn't bang" Moffat?

Because that's kind of an example of a super fan driving things in a bad direction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Has Doctor Who gotten away from Steven "never write a female character you wouldn't bang" Moffat?

Well, there's a female Doctor now and they've gotten the best numbers they've had since Tennant so... I guess?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Because that's kind of an example of a super fan driving things in a bad direction.

Yes. His final episode aired last year.

EDIT: Also, while he's poo poo at writing women, the super fan bit had a lot more to do with his inability to have the Doctor be wrong, ever, in any way (and how anyone who disagreed in any way with the Doctor was wrong and foolish).

JackMann fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 21, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Checks out, finally some good news in 2018!

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

moths posted:

Yup. Chris Chibnall's the new showrunner now, and from what little I've seen so far he's a vast improvement.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Izzy posted:

Yup. Chris Chibnall's the new showrunner now, and from what little I've seen so far he's a vast improvement.

Which is wierd, because his episodes under Moffat's run were terrible. Especially the one where Danny Pink failed to get eaten by a tiger.

I did like the last Capaldi season for the most part.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Which is wierd, because his episodes under Moffat's run were terrible. Especially the one where Danny Pink failed to get eaten by a tiger.

I did like the last Capaldi season for the most part.

And Moffat's episodes under Russel Davies run were great so who the hell knows how well a writer is going to do as a showrunner?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Izzy posted:

Eeeeh.

His episodes seem to have a few consistent problems but are mostly okay telly. Last week's was loving dire on political grounds, but we've also had the hard-and-important-to-watch Rosa, and the AMAZING Demons of the Punjab.

OTOH the ratings have been fantastic so who knows.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

remusclaw posted:

And Moffat's episodes under Russel Davies run were great so who the hell knows how well a writer is going to do as a showrunner?

Yep. Which made him doubly disappointing as showrunner.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Moffat is British Joss Whedon. There, I said it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zurui posted:

Moffat is British Joss Whedon. There, I said it.

...yeah, that makes sense.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

No one will ever succeed in building a non-lovely community that is entirely predicated on nostalgia, especially lovely nerd nostalgia.

Retro video games manage to exist and not have a pervasive reactionary funk to them. Beyond the normal gamer stink, at least.

Maybe that's helped by retro games tending to be indie projects, and indie gaming tending to have more of the sort of people (minorities) that get pushed out of major game studios?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Traditional games as an industry: television as an industry

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Retro games also have the huge advantage of being able to enjoy without a group.

When Todd starts being a douchebag, you can kick his grog rear end to the curb without impacting your Ms. Pac-Man experience, but in an OSR environment there's baked-in interpersonal drama.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

potatocubed posted:

There are a bunch of people on his G+ and Twitter talking about creating a new old-school community but without the lovely parts. I have no idea if it'll take, or if they'll just fall back into orbit around the same old bad stars.

Someone started a group called 'The Honourable OSR' on G+, apparently for this purpose. But gently caress that is a cringey name.

The current big discussion seems to be: is Zak worse than Ettin? Most commenters do seem to want to having nothing to do with Zak, but it doesn't appear to be the universal position.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

thefakenews posted:

Someone started a group called 'The Honourable OSR' on G+, apparently for this purpose. But gently caress that is a cringey name.

The current big discussion seems to be: is Zak worse than Ettin? Most commenters do seem to want to having nothing to do with Zak, but it doesn't appear to be the universal position.

There is a certain fondness for archaic language in this hobby.

When younger and dumber it made me feel smart and now it just makes me feel self conscious. Thank god I never developed an addiction to guisarme glaives!

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
The OSR certainly doesn't have a monopoly on lovely nerd nostalgia. Dnd 5e, for example. Or Vampire 5e.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I never fails to amaze me how much of an elfgame boogeyman Ettin is to these people.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I never fails to amaze me how much of an elfgame boogeyman Ettin is to these people.

I don't think many of the people in the G+ group actually care about Ettin (although some evidently do). How terrible Ettin is appears to have been the subject of some recent post by Zak because reasons.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Apparently it was because I blocked Jeff Rients on Twitter a few days ago, which I kinda forgot about until I looked that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Wait, are they talking about Our Ettin?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Ettin posted:

Apparently it was because I blocked Jeff Rients on Twitter a few days ago, which I kinda forgot about until I looked that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

This is funny since Jeff just riled up the alt-right OSR brigade by daring to suggest on his blog that James Raggi shouldn’t be hanging around for Jordan Peterson.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

thefakenews posted:

How terrible Ettin is appears to have been the subject of some recent post by Zak because reasons.

Is he releasing a new product soon? That's probably the reason why. Dude drums up drama to sell his half-baked garbage.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Slimnoid posted:

Is he releasing a new product soon? That's probably the reason why. Dude drums up drama to sell his half-baked garbage.
I would guess he's trying to avoid the fact that despite the fact he constantly swears up and down that he would he isn't actually going to distance him from James Raggi.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, it's the Raggi issue. Everyone inside the OSR is pointing fingers at each other, and Zak is trying to deflect criticism of his associates by pointing fingers at people outside the OSR.

The post about Ettin in the 'Honourable OSR' just had it comments closed by the original poster due to every other commenter being too mean to Zak, and now the OP is demanding proof that Zak ever did anything wrong. The more thing change in the OSR, the more they stay the same I guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

The post about Ettin in the 'Honourable OSR' just had it comments closed by the original poster due to every other commenter being too mean to Zak, and now the OP is demanding proof that Zak ever did anything wrong.

lmao. Like I said, they can't manage to form a "good OSR" because they're not willing to admit that there's bad parts of the OSR in the first place.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
The more they change, the more they stay the same, and the more the rest of us continue to stay as far away as humanly possible.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
HOSeR is a pretty great name though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arthil posted:

Wait, are they talking about Our Ettin?

Yep, Ettin is a mod at two notorious RPG discussion forums (that banned Zak), so clearly he is the shadowy force behind some ancient RPG evil.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sion posted:

Is that a lot? Like- I feel like some pretty yikes decisions have kept Vampire relegated to a pretty serious also-ran in a time when RPGs are as popular as they've ever been.

I mean it's a lot for us. We haven't carried White Wolf since before they went PoD for most of their stuff. It's mostly been people who don't really follow the industry and just are like ah yeah I played this game nostalgia time who have been looking for it around here

Like nobody has been like YEAH I CANT WAIT TO TRIGGER THE SNOWFLAKES it's all explicitly been people looking to do a little nostalgia

Again stressing this is all my customers I am fully aware that those shitlords do exist

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 22, 2018

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmao. Like I said, they can't manage to form a "good OSR" because they're not willing to admit that there's bad parts of the OSR in the first place.

Yeah, I dunno. I want to be hopeful. On the one hand there's at least one guy in that thread who used to be part of Zak's dedicated harrassment crew back in 2014 but seems to have come to his senses since, and there does seem to be a good-faith attempt by some of them to sever themselves from the bullshit... but on the other hand the community owner has just posted a new rule which requires people to post 'gameable content' if they want to talk about anything other than games (e.g. politics, harassment, etc.) and that seems entirely counter to their basic ideals.

Like I said, I want to be hopeful.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like nobody has been like YEAH I CANT WAIT TO TRIGGER THE SNOWFLAKES it's all explicitly been people looking to do a little nostalgia

Again stressing this is all my customers I am fully aware that those shitlords do exist

That's interesting. Like, do these shitlords exist in the 'mainstream' that're buying this book? Like, I'm of the impression that giving a poo poo about White Wolf and triggering the snowflakes is an Extremely Online thing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sion posted:

That's interesting. Like, do these shitlords exist in the 'mainstream' that're buying this book? Like, I'm of the impression that giving a poo poo about White Wolf and triggering the snowflakes is an Extremely Online thing?

Tons of people irl love to "trigger the libs," my last boss was the literal embodiment of die-hard Trumpism and I got to hear these sentiments and more on a daily basis. Assuming that attitude is a strictly Extremely Online thing is setting yourself up for disappointment. However I imagine the Venn Diagram crossover with the average person interested in a new edition of Vampire is fairly thin. BENGHAZI 2's experience doesn't strike me as unusual as keeping tabs on the ins and outs of tabletop RPGs is still a very niche sort of hobby, and it's entirely plausible that the average nostalgic Vampire fan has no idea who Martin Ericsson even is and no idea what the heck's been going on with his stewardship of the line up to and including angering the Chechen government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sion posted:

I would wager that most players can't name a single person who worked on any rpg they play. Some fraction could name "Gary Gygax". I think knowing names of individuals who make rpgs is an Extremely Online thing.