Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What are you even talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Johnny Aztec posted:

Whatever dude. It was just an anecdote. If you wanna try and draw lines between one dudes actions and a whole race, thats up to you.

You're the one who brought that guy up. Why else would you bring him up in this unrelated conversation unless you were trying to make some sort of point?

Johnny Aztec posted:

But really, what do you want me to do about this problem. Is there a phone number I can call?
There any bills coming up I could call my congressperson and say " Hey can you vote on this thing? Kthx bai"

One thing you can do - next time something racially insensitive comes up, don't immediately devil's advocate for it. Maybe there's a reason that this group is upset by it. And since you admitted you only know one person from that group, maybe you're not really familiar enough with their struggles to official decree a joke "not lovely".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ghost emoji posted:

You're the one who brought that guy up. Why else would you bring him up in this unrelated conversation unless you were trying to make some sort of point?

One thing you can do - next time something racially insensitive comes up, don't immediately devil's advocate for it. Maybe there's a reason that this group is upset by it. And since you admitted you only know one person from that group, maybe you're not really familiar enough with their struggles to official decree a joke "not lovely".

Are you having problems of your own? What joke are you talking about? The pizza thing? I never said anything about it, let alone what you are claiming I said.
Seriously, maybe you should take a short break. you're like mixing people up. Haven't "devil's advocated" for anything.

I mean, if you want to try and fit a " Hey, here is a hosed up experience I had" anecdote into your larger narrative, then go ahead, but there is no point. There is no " hidden agenda". I

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Nov 21, 2018

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ugh, how'd this whole thing get started, anyway? Oh, right ...

Queen Combat posted:

Welcome to what happens when you don't put Phanatic on ignore.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*camera pulls back to me behind the desk of a late night talk show*

Johnny Aztec everybody! He'll be here all week, locked in the basement if we can help it. *studio audience laughs*

Coming up after the break we have our extraordinary musical guests the Foo Fighters...

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I want to send a bunch of smallpox-covered blankets into this thread. Jesus Christ.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Thank you for probating Johhny Aztec.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

He didn't even get probated for that, he got probated for some completely different horrible post in GBS that he made around the same time. Johnny Aztec everybody!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy fuckin poo poo those are some spicy-rear end racist takes

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
pineapples on pizza are really not as bad as people meme about

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Being Johnny Aztec is a 24/7 bad marketing move.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tired Moritz posted:

Tropical italian is just a weird mix for me but I'm confident someone can figure it out. Fruit and cheese goes together after all, but I still think Hawaiian pizza is revolting.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

pineapple on pizza rules imo. its sweetness blends well with cheese and meat, and provides a pleasant counterpoint to marinara sauce

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I feel like Johnny Aztec provided a valuable contribution in ending the derail by providing a take so bizarrely offensive that both sides united in mutual disgust.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
I'll say again, because it's important, and idc if it's continuing a derail: the ad isn't bad because it jokes about smallpox. That's ridiculously missing the point. The ad is bad because it jokes about a complex relationship that is still loving Natives over today, and joking about this over stupid poo poo encourages people to not take it seriously. Like I said before, we already spend a great deal of time being joke fodder or treated like we're invisible, and things like some of the events around the Dakota Pipeline show that the government is still perfectly happy to treat us as lessers when they feel like it. Mainstream Americans are completely out of touch with our existence and punching down with jokes doesn't help at all.

Some of the poo poo that gets said and implied on this site about Natives would never, ever fly if you said it about other minority groups (Johnny Aztec's comment is a good example of that) and it's frustrating to say the least.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I eat pizza how I want and that's okay.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Telemaze posted:

I'll say again, because it's important, and idc if it's continuing a derail: the ad isn't bad because it jokes about smallpox. That's ridiculously missing the point. The ad is bad because it jokes about a complex relationship that is still loving Natives over today, and joking about this over stupid poo poo encourages people to not take it seriously. Like I said before, we already spend a great deal of time being joke fodder or treated like we're invisible, and things like some of the events around the Dakota Pipeline show that the government is still perfectly happy to treat us as lessers when they feel like it. Mainstream Americans are completely out of touch with our existence and punching down with jokes doesn't help at all.

Some of the poo poo that gets said and implied on this site about Natives would never, ever fly if you said it about other minority groups (Johnny Aztec's comment is a good example of that) and it's frustrating to say the least.

:emptyquote:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Telemaze posted:

This, thread, is what we call a good take. It shows levelheadedness, forethought, and context.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Johnny Aztec, sitting at their keyboard:

"Hmmm, a lot of people seem to be reading racist hot takes into peoople's non-racist posts. How can I show them what it really looks like when someone heavily implies a racist agenda... Aha! I've got it!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can we take Johnny Aztec as prisoner and ritually sacrifice his account to the internet gods so that on-topic content will be posted again?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
rip that guy who got banned for sharing an anecdote and asking how he can help

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sunken fleet posted:

rip that guy who got banned for sharing an anecdote and asking how he can help

I miss RG3 too.

Nah I can’t even joke about that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Black Friday sales are starting today, Wednesday. Is that a dumb marketing move?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Black Friday sales are starting today, Wednesday. Is that a dumb marketing move?

They started here on Wednesday in Australia. Where we don't have Black Friday.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

jobson groeth posted:

we don't have Black Friday.

Because giant spiders would hide in it?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

Because giant spiders would hide in it?

We already have a Black Saturday. Black <day> is usually reserved for incredibly destructive bushfires.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

jobson groeth posted:

We already have a Black Saturday. Black <day> is usually reserved for incredibly destructive bushfires.

It was years until I realised that 'Ash Wednesday' was an international/religious thing and not named after the Ash Wednesday Fires.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

We've had "Black Friday Warm Up Week" at the beginning of the month, "The Best of the Warm Up" last week and now the actual Black Friday(Week)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Don't forget Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday!

Yes, we all know how that sounds

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

A dumb marketing move is the fact that about 3 or 4 years ago someone decided that Black Friday should happen in the UK, despite the fact that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving. There's no other holiday or pretence for it - it's just a random day in November where retailers discount their poo poo. To date the discounts have never been enough to tempt me into buying anything in November when I could just pay an extra £20 or so and have something any time I want.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question:

Are the Black Friday sales in America just a big sale, or are they done for a reason?

Coz I remember my mum working the Myer Stocktake Sale, (which was also a huge monster sale with big discounts) when I was young. And that sale, which as far as I know is still happening annually, existed for a reason, which coincidentally was in the name. It was done so the store could do a Stocktake, and clear out all the poo poo that wasn't selling to make room for new stock.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question:

Are the Black Friday sales in America just a big sale, or are they done for a reason?

Coz I remember my mum working the Myer Stocktake Sale, (which was also a huge monster sale with big discounts) when I was young. And that sale, which as far as I know is still happening annually, existed for a reason, which coincidentally was in the name. It was done so the store could do a Stocktake, and clear out all the poo poo that wasn't selling to make room for new stock.

Day after Thanksgiving is usually the biggest shopping day of the year, even before the deals. Christmas is about a month away and people usually had a long weekend so they'd take the family out shopping. Eventually, marketers figured out how to snowball this

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cyber Monday is the most cynical cash grab

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Drunk Nerds posted:

Day after Thanksgiving is usually the biggest shopping day of the year, even before the deals. Christmas is about a month away and people usually had a long weekend so they'd take the family out shopping. Eventually, marketers figured out how to snowball this

Also, I don't have a source but I'd hazard a guess that with more and more folks just buying gifts online, brick & mortars are in a panic to get people into stores. It's definitely way more hyped up than it was when I was a kid and no one had internet shopping.

For me personally, this has turned into a dumb marketing move because I won't go anywhere near a mall tomorrow. Heck, I'll even take side streets instead of the main drag, just because the traffic gets insane. Hell, I just prefer to not even leave my house.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'd always heard Black Friday is the last payday before Christmas so the most likely time people are about to go Christmas shopping.

Just lol if you're not buying mints for your family from the gas station on Christmas Eve though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

nexus6 posted:

I'd always heard Black Friday is the last payday before Christmas so the most likely time people are about to go Christmas shopping.

Just lol if you're not buying mints for your family from the gas station on Christmas Eve though.

The Real History of Black Friday https://www.history.com/news/whats-the-real-history-of-black-friday

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

I'd always heard Black Friday is the last payday before Christmas

Interesting. You heard wrong. Most paydays are on the 1rst and fifteenth, or every two weeks, or on the 1rst of a month if you're monthly (maybe a few days later if payroll processing takes up time). Black Friday is between the 23rd and 29th of November, depending on the year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Interesting. You heard wrong. Most paydays are on the 1rst and fifteenth, or every two weeks, or on the 1rst of a month if you're monthly (maybe a few days later if payroll processing takes up time). Black Friday is between the 23rd and 29th of November, depending on the year.

Yeah I've got two more paydays before Christmas

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Drunk Nerds posted:

on the 1rst or on the 1rst

I am furious right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

oldpainless posted:

I am furious right now