Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Dan Crenshaw, the cuddly fascist.

SNL made a tepid joke about his eye-patch and because he lost his eye killing brown kids, all the media corporations demanded SNL apologize and they did. He went on the show, normalizing him.

You feel like SNL isn't in favor of this at this point, after Trump and Crenshaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you routinely, in both that thread and this, make very strong implicit moral judgements on 'Cooperators'

including in this very post

"I don't think Cooperators are inherently bad, I just think they're pro-fascist and will never not be"

edit: okay fine, i can't in good conscience make a technically incorrect assessment that I notice, you're saying they're currently irreparably awful, not regardless of context irreparably awful

if you are correct in this over the next two years, remind me and I will eat the requisite crow, but I think you are not

Again, you are not understanding what a Cooperator is. A Coperator is a person who bases their worldview upon whatever they have to believe in order to avoid interrupting their personal status quo. They base their Authority on who controls resources- the more resources you control the more Authority you have in the more respect you deserve.

An entrenched Cooperator class has a strong tendency to side with fascists over leftists because they conceptualize all conflict as being a contest over the control of resources. (The Cooperator worldview is all about cooperating with whoever controls resources, basically.) Leftists inherently fight for control of resources, whereas fascist largely ignored resources and instead focusing on changing the dominant narratives within society. This causes an entrenched Cooperator class to view leftists as a credible threat to their personal status quo, and fascist as a not credible threat to their personal status quo. Thusly the entrenched Cooperators will oppose a leftist and side with the fascists because they think the fascists are too incompetent to ever unseat them and can be manipulated. This has happened repeatedly in history and is happening in South America right now.

The problem isn't Cooperators- the problem is an entrenched cooperator class that has come to accept massive income inequality as a necessary part of maintaining their personal status as well. You're going to have Cooperators at any human society and in point of fact they are actually very very very important to having a functional Society. However, Narrativists/fascists tend to supplant any entrenched Cooperator class if the society in question comes under sustained pressure or internal disruption.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 22, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with incrementalism is it relies on the opposing party to not simply burn everything down out of spite, and, well, here we are.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i keep seeing people saying that manchin is harmless, that he only ever votes for republican legislation "when it doesn't matter", but that seems to be a very privileged way to look at his actions. paying lip service to racism, sexism, xenophobia does in fact matter. it normalizes those things. it helps republicans cause they can legitimately point to him and say "see! even democrats realize these policies are necessary!"

it's also really creepy to me to see people saying we should throw minorities under the bus if it gets us more power (and that's exactly what you're doing when you normalize the behavior of the republicans, which people in this thread seem perfectly fine with manchin doing). in 2016, i was told repeatedly that minorities had to be careful of the left cause we would gladly trade away their issues to indulge our privilege. now i see that happening right in this thread and it's p distressing.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

which one of you tweeted this

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

predicto posted:

and no, Nancy loving Pelosi does not support child concentration camps ffs.

You are putting words in my mouth and I would appreciate you not doing that. I am no way stated or implied that she supports child concentration camps, I actually stated that she views child concentration camps as less of a threat to democracy than a small restaurant owner refusing service to the people running said child concentration camps. I reached this conclusion because I judge people by actions. Nancy Pelosi's actions make it very clear that small restaurant owners refusing service to monsters running child concentration camps is not as big an issue as the actual camps themselves.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Condiv posted:

do all of the people currently defending manchin think his support of trump is a non-issue? what about him supporting punishing football players for protesting the murder of black people, or him normalizing the idea that jus soli can be stripped away?

why is it ok for us to have a racist dem helping normalize the republican's fascist behavior?

because the racist GOP guy who West Virginia otherwise would elect would do all those things, and plenty more that are even worse AND would be a consistent, reliable vote for Trumpism in every possible way.

ps - no one here likes Manchin. But we hate Manchin less than Jim Inhofe or Ted Cruz or Tom Cotton. Sadly, those are the current options in a state where Trump won 69% to 25%.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

predicto posted:

because the racist GOP guy who West Virginia otherwise would elect would do all those things, and plenty more that are even worse AND would be a consistent, reliable vote for Trumpism in every possible way.

ps - no one here likes Manchin. But we hate Manchin less than Jim Inhofe or Ted Cruz or Tom Cotton. Sadly, those are the current options in a state where Trump won 69% to 25%.

so we have to indulge in racism, sexism, and xenophobia for the greater good? that's the sum total of your argument?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

You are putting words in my mouth and I would appreciate you not doing that.

Don't be pedantic. For someone who attributes the worst of motivations and weak moral fiber to everyone who disagrees with her, you are in no position to lecture anyone.

I'm bailing out of this conversation before I pull a ban. Have a good Thanksgiving everyone.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Condiv posted:

so we have to indulge in racism, sexism, and xenophobia for the greater good? that's the sum total of your argument?

No, minorities like you and I have to indulge racism, sexism, and xenophobia for the greater good. He gets to sit on his comfortable white rear end and preach to us about how important it is that we take this one for the team.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Condiv posted:

would you rather have a generic republican senator or joe manchin?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The way to think of Manchin is functionally* as a sleeper agent. He's disguised himself as the enemy. He's largely within their ranks. And when his decisions don't meaningfully influence the outcome, he does poo poo in step with the enemy. But at a few key calculated moments when he can make a meaningful difference, like the ACA recall, he steps in and sabotages the enemy and sets them back, then slips back into his disguise.

*the word 'functionally' is, of course, carrying a lot of weight, because I don't think Manchin is that willfully clever and is, in fact, personally a big shithead. But I think that's the role he's currently serving for the Democrats, and I think it is serving huge tangible good that we would not have if we replaced him a true CHUD Trumpist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

predicto posted:

Don't be pedantic. For someone who attributes the worst of motivations and weak moral fiber to everyone who disagrees with her

it doesn't help that you just admitted we have to sacrifice our allies for the greater good :

it doesn't show much in the way of moral fiber to say that we have to support a racist, sexist, xenophobe for some nebulous benefit

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

goethe.cx posted:

would you rather have a generic republican senator or joe manchin?

none of the above. i cannot support someone who thinks jus soli is up for debate

you say it's for the greater good, but in my lifetime these sacrifices made in the name of the greater good haven't actually improved the lot of minorities

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Condiv posted:

it doesn't help that you just admitted we have to sacrifice our allies for the greater good :

it doesn't show much in the way of moral fiber to say that we have to support a racist, sexist, xenophobe for some nebulous benefit

Literally no one is saying we have to like or support Manchin. I don't think I've *I've* ever seen anyone suggest that, or that we wouldn't be better off with an actual progressive in his place.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Condiv posted:

Unfortunately, unless we are voting West Virginians we really aren't in a position to indulge or not indulge in anything.

But if I was in West Virginia, I would have voted for Manchin over Patrick "even worse Fascist and overt environmental rapist" Morrissey.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

If Manchin is a sleeper Republican who hates browns and healthcare and loves rape why doesn't he just switch parties

if he is interested solely in his own re-election and political future, this would surely be the best way for him to ensure he holds his seat as long as he wants?

he could switch any day. McConnell would love to have him. but he doesn't???

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

If Manchin is a sleeper Republican who hates browns and healthcare and loves rape why doesn't he just switch parties

if he is interested solely in his own re-election and political future, this would surely be the best way for him to ensure he holds his seat as long as he wants?

Manchin would get absolutely obliterated in a Republican primary.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Z. Autobahn posted:

Literally no one is saying we have to like or support Manchin. I don't think I've *I've* ever seen anyone suggest that, or that we wouldn't be better off with an actual progressive in his place.

yeah, if a progressive can win WV, more power to 'em

if a progressive comes within a reasonable distance of credibly challenging Manchin such that it might have been DNC et al support that saved him, I'll probably join in demsbadding

but so far that hasn't happened

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Z. Autobahn posted:

Jarmak literally called people who refuse to support Machinn monsters. Evilweasel and a number of others have said effectively the same. The quoted post is just willful ignorance.

Z. Autobahn posted:

The way to think of Manchin is functionally* as a sleeper agent. He's disguised himself as the enemy. He's largely within their ranks. And when his decisions don't meaningfully influence the outcome, he does poo poo in step with the enemy. But at a few key calculated moments when he can make a meaningful difference, like the ACA recall, he steps in and sabotages the enemy and sets them back, then slips back into his disguise.

*the word 'functionally' is, of course, carrying a lot of weight, because I don't think Manchin is that willfully clever and is, in fact, personally a big shithead. But I think that's the role he's currently serving for the Democrats, and I think it is serving huge tangible good that we would not have if we replaced him a true CHUD Trumpist.

This is embarassing fanfiction wherein you are lying to yourself that the scorpion will not sting you even though it stings minority's whenever it loving feels like it.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if a progressive comes within a reasonable distance of credibly challenging Manchin such that it might have been DNC et al support that saved him, I'll probably join in demsbadding

spoken like someone sitting on their comfortable white rear end or something something

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Z. Autobahn posted:

a number have already quoted me and asked me to affirm my support of manchin

predicto posted:

Unfortunately, unless we are voting West Virginians we really aren't in a position to indulge or not indulge in anything.

But if I was in West Virginia, I would have voted for Manchin over Patrick "even worse Fascist and overt environmental rapist" Morrissey.

ok. its your choice to support stripping away jus soli. just don't expect me to think you're a good person for it.

my bony fealty posted:

i'm pretty sure prester jane already explained this upthread, but him being a mccain in a party that wants robert spencers doesn't do him much favors electorally, while the dems bend over backwards and help him crush opponents to his left while he's a dem.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

paula swearengin was in reasonable distance of credibly challenging him considering how she did and how actively the party was supporting manchin in the primaries.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

Jarmak literally called people who refuse to support Machinn monsters. Evilweasel and a number of others have said effectively the same. The quoted post is just willful ignorance.

This is embarassing fanfiction wherein you are lying to yourself that the scorpion will not sting you even though it stings minority's whenever it loving feels like it.

Our options here are literally 'scorpion that stings 50% of the time' and 'scorpion that stings 100% of the time'. That's it, those are the only options on the table. Choosing the first scorpion is both rational and profoundly defensible. Also, I'm a minority who's directly suffered racist harassment from the alt-right, as has my loving child, so pretty cool job making assumptions that literally anyone who doesn't side with you is some kind of craven privileged rich white, and not, you know, threatened people making difficult practical choices to ensure their short-term survival.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Condiv posted:

ok. its your choice to support stripping away jus soli. just don't expect me to think you're a good person for it.

oh ffs.

no wonder you have a Ted Rall avatar

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Simply think tactically, using logic, from outside of the self imposed boundaries of your identity politics
:goonsay:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Democrats will have as many seats as they had in 2006, maybe 1 or 2 more.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

You feel like SNL isn't in favor of this at this point, after Trump and Crenshaw.

SNL selling out to terrible conservatives for ratings was a plot point in Bob Roberts, which was released in 1992. Not much has changed.

Also Bob Roberts was released 26 years ago and is still timely. If anything the film was overly optimistic about the trajectory of American politics.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Condiv posted:

paula swearengin was in reasonable distance of credibly challenging him considering how she did and how actively the party was supporting manchin in the primaries.

what are you talking about? Swearengin was never remotely close in the polling, and she lost by 40 percentage points. In what fantasy world is that "reasonable distance?"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

predicto posted:

oh ffs.

no wonder you have a Ted Rall avatar

if you don't support that, then why would you vote for a politician that does? am i supposed to think it's better that you only give support to him cause he might side with you on things you think are more important.

predicto posted:

what are you talking about? Swearengin was never remotely close in the polling, and she lost by 40 percentage points. In what fantasy world is that "reasonable distance?"

a complete newcomer losing by 40% in a stacked primary against an incumbent is pretty good. if she had the support of the democratic party (or if they had stayed out of the primaries like they should've) she would have probably done a lot better and may have unseated him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Joe Manchin is poo poo garbage but we’ve discussed this topic to death and it’s clear no one is going to budge. Until Joe Manchin actually makes a headline y’all should let it go.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Z. Autobahn posted:

Our options here are literally 'scorpion that stings 50% of the time' and 'scorpion that stings 100% of the time'. That's it, those are the only options on the table. Choosing the first scorpion is both rational and profoundly defensible. Also, I'm a minority who's directly suffered racist harassment from the alt-right, as has my loving child, so pretty cool job making assumptions that literally anyone who doesn't side with you is some kind of craven privileged rich white, and not, you know, threatened people making difficult practical choices to ensure their short-term survival.

I didn't call you privileged though and don't think your disagreements stem from privilege. I don't think everyone who disagrees with me is doing so from a position of privilege and have directed my criticisms of privilege at specific posters. FWIW I think you're wrong for reasons that have nothing to do with privilege.

It is my firm stance that Manchin will sting us all many many many times before this is all said and done. Further I be live very strongly that a scorpion who is within allied ranks that only stings 50% of the time is, in the long run, orders of magnitude more damaging than a scorpion that stings you 100% of the time but is a recognized enemy.

Edit: as per LK I'm dropping the topic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

Joe Manchin is poo poo garbage but we’ve discussed this topic to death and it’s clear no one is going to budge. Until Joe Manchin actually makes a headline y’all should let it go.

i googled to see if he had a tweet in the last 24 hours or was attending a barbecue in Nowhere, WV, but i got nothing

i don't suppose i could segue into a discussion of regional barbecue?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

reminder that Lib U only just recently allowed good old hetro white married couples to show The Aeffection in public( and to sleep in one bed on campus dorms)

Oh and also The Race Mixing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cradling joe manchin in my arms, that these vicious blows fall upon my body rather than his

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

We should make it a bannable offense to bring up Joe Manchin if he hasn't so much as tweeted about policy in the past week IMO, I'm fuckin' tired of these conversation tailspins

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I didnt know there was a spare Jerry Falwell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
John Roberts thinks people are very very stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

He's not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

Donald Trump is President. They are.