Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Reik posted:

Scenario 33 & 34 spoilers

So, I know you can do scenario 34 first and then do scenario 33, but if you kill the Drake you lose access to the city and road events from the Drake Aided achievement. What choices did you guys make, Drake Slain or Drake Aided? It seems like you're just trading the end of scenario 34 rewards for the two events being added?

Well, (minor event spoilers) I haven't seen the other questline that leads to scenario 33, nor the city event you unlock for aiding the Elder Drake, but my party did stumble across the road event unlocked a couple scenarios later. It's by far the best road event we've encountered, and it instantly quelled any concerns we had about the anti-climactic ending we'd otherwise thought the dragon questline had.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We chose to do Drake Aided but it was incredibly anticlimactic. I can't help but feel the option was added in late or was unfinished. There isn't a strong story-related reason to help the Drake, the scenario you unlock isn't unique to the storyline, and you could "finish" the storyline without even realising you'd done so.

What story-related reason is there to kill the Elder Drake? It isn't menacing anyone, and it's a cool and sassy friend. There's no princess for you to rescue and you'd just be killing it for glory and its hoard, as it points out as soon as you meet it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So the solo scenarios aren't supposed to unlock until 2 characters have retired.

Is that really necessary? Or is it just a time-gate on top of the Prosperity stuff? We are 15 scenarios in, and I think we might be ready for it. And I want everyone to have a chance to do it with their starter characters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

So the solo scenarios aren't supposed to unlock until 2 characters have retired.

Is that really necessary? Or is it just a time-gate on top of the Prosperity stuff? We are 15 scenarios in, and I think we might be ready for it. And I want everyone to have a chance to do it with their starter characters.

Some people house rule it to open them earlier but we waited until they were formally unlocked and I feel it was the right call for our group. OTOH we house ruled letting people pick their retirement goals so we had our first round of retirements really early (like, prosperity 2).

Thing with the solo scenario items is they're potentially *really* powerful so it's probably worthwhile playing the classes a bit first "normally" . It all kinda depends though. Keep in mind once they're done, and then t hose characters retire, the items go into the general purchase pool and can be bought by anyone, so do solo scenarios "early" and later characters are gonna be able to buy really potent gear right from the start.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

dwarf74 posted:

It's absolutely not necessary and level 5 is the only requirement I think is important.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
...sorry, what's all this about solo missions?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Official FAQ for the Forgotten Circles expansion is out.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What story-related reason is there to kill the Elder Drake? It isn't menacing anyone, and it's a cool and sassy friend. There's no princess for you to rescue and you'd just be killing it for glory and its hoard, as it points out as soon as you meet it.
You see a few times that dragons and drakes are dangerous to travellers, and the guards did ask you to check it out because of the potential danger to the city. It's not a strong motivation but it's enough, given everything else you do.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

!Klams posted:

...sorry, what's all this about solo missions?

Isaac put out solo scenarios for each class that reward a new class-specific item upon beating them

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So I just started repacking my Gloomhaven into a custom insert...
That madman pulled a Risk Legacy, I love it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Pierzak posted:

So I just started repacking my Gloomhaven into a custom insert...
That madman pulled a Risk Legacy, I love it.

Yeah, we just opened the envelope last session because our last player got their first retirement. Good times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does anyone have any suggestions on rebinding the scenario book? Every session pages slip halfway out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on rebinding the scenario book? Every session pages slip halfway out.
Glue a strip of paper to each page's spine side and give it a nice cloth-bound hardback treatment, like some old document being preserved?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Got a question. Bought this game recently, and while I haven't had opportunity to play it yet (getting myself and my friends in one place at the same time is about as easy as herding cats), I'm slowly sorting through non-spoilery contents of the box to have them play-ready when the time comes. Today I had a longer look at the achievement stickers and noticed that both "City Rule: Militaristic" and "Artifact: Recovered" global achievements come in two copies. Is there something to this, or is this just a case of useless extra copies on the sheet?

I also found out, when trying to find any info on those doubled-up achievements, learned that "City Rule: Militaristic" comes into play straight away, before the first mission. This, uh, seems like a strange choice given that default stickers the game comes with aren't really built to be removable, yet there are other "City Rule" achievements suggesting there are various states this can take.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Malek Deneith posted:

Got a question. Bought this game recently, and while I haven't had opportunity to play it yet (getting myself and my friends in one place at the same time is about as easy as herding cats), I'm slowly sorting through non-spoilery contents of the box to have them play-ready when the time comes. Today I had a longer look at the achievement stickers and noticed that both "City Rule: Militaristic" and "Artifact: Recovered" global achievements come in two copies. Is there something to this, or is this just a case of useless extra copies on the sheet?

I also found out, when trying to find any info on those doubled-up achievements, learned that "City Rule: Militaristic" comes into play straight away, before the first mission. This, uh, seems like a strange choice given that default stickers the game comes with aren't really built to be removable, yet there are other "City Rule" achievements suggesting there are various states this can take.

Stickers can be put on top of each other.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
And there are multiple for the same reason that sometimes Democrats are in power and sometimes Republicans are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's also an "Artifact: Lost" sticker and a couple of other "City Rule" stickers. It hasn't come up in our case, but I have a pretty good idea of why those two stickers come in pairs.

E:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You see a few times that dragons and drakes are dangerous to travellers, and the guards did ask you to check it out because of the potential danger to the city. It's not a strong motivation but it's enough, given everything else you do.

Yeah, I suppose.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I have my summon tokens going 1, 1, 3, 4 - are they supposed to not have a 2, or is that a misprint? If it's a misprint, can anyone having the same issue tell me if there are more errors on those sheets?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pierzak posted:

I have my summon tokens going 1, 1, 3, 4 - are they supposed to not have a 2, or is that a misprint? If it's a misprint, can anyone having the same issue tell me if there are more errors on those sheets?
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25053301#25053301

"The summon tokens were printed to maximize the number of total combinations of pairings you could make with the big and small tokens. They were not misprinted."

I don't pretend to understand how having unusable duplicates and missing numbers helps with that, but that's the official response.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So a smaller sub-group of us could get together tonight, and we decided to run a side-scenario so as not to accidentally move the plot along. We hit #70 Chained Isle and, instead of it being just a quick fun romp, it was massively eventful.

(1) The Spellweaver hit exactly the right conditions to retire and unlock Triforce, and
(2) Between the city event, the scenario rewards, and the retirement, we rocketed up +4 steps, from Prosperity 3 to Prosperity 4, just in time for the new character to come on-board.

Scenario 70 Spoilers:
I'll tell you what - we were expecting this to be hard, what with the endlessly-spawning Spirits, plus awful Night Demons and Wind Demons, but it was actually ... easy? We were never seriously threatened apart from Round 1 when we had to eat some attacks, and before we could neutralize some Demons. We probably should have played at Level +1, but with the levels being 7 (cragheart, me), 5 (spellweaver), and 3 (scoundrel) we were really worried about squishiness. We played at 3 (L+0) and actually feel kinda bad about it.

My cragheart grabbed the Hooked Chain from the chest. I dunno; I think I may end up selling it. On the one hand, I have lots of Ranged attacks. On the other hand ... pulling? Do I really want to do that? Especially when I have a much better single-use enemy-repositioning item?

Triforce and Prosperity 4 Spoilers
The Elementalist looks cool, but rough to manage. The player is really excited about it, though, and thinks it'll fit his playstyle perfectly. We referenced one of the Build Guides, and figure we can always respec if that ends up being poo poo advice. Item-wise, he could afford a Robe of Pockets, both Stamina potions, a Minor Mana, and a Minor Power potion.

Also, holy poo poo, I knew it was coming, but major stamina potions. That's probably worth +1 difficulty right there, no? Endlessly recycling your best non-loss attacks?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Poopy Palpy posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25053301#25053301

"The summon tokens were printed to maximize the number of total combinations of pairings you could make with the big and small tokens. They were not misprinted."

I don't pretend to understand how having unusable duplicates and missing numbers helps with that, but that's the official response.
Are they different front/back?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

Prosperity 4 Spoilers

Also, holy poo poo, I knew it was coming, but major stamina potions. That's probably worth +1 difficulty right there, no? Endlessly recycling your best non-loss attacks?

Yeah, we just unlocked those a few scenarios ago and we're already seriously considering adopting the proposed expansion rule change that they recover one fewer card each -- 1 card for minor, 2 for major .

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Are they different front/back?
Not really. They have different colors on the back (the same set of 8 color, just on different tokens), but the same number. So you have 1, 1, 3, 4 in 8 colors each.

And since it's apparently "not a misprint" and no further mistakes on those sheets I'll just paint 2s on if I have an issue.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Not really. They have different colors on the back (the same set of 8 color, just on different tokens), but the same number. So you have 1, 1, 3, 4 in 8 colors each.

And since it's apparently "not a misprint" and no further mistakes on those sheets I'll just paint 2s on if I have an issue.

If you create three summons numbered 1, 3, and 4, then you can just sit back and watch the enemies in the scenario run around looking for #2 though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Vidmaster posted:

If you create three summons numbered 1, 3, and 4, then you can just sit back and watch the enemies in the scenario run around looking for #2 though.

Fuckin classic

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scenario 62 down, and Eclipse unlocked.

Spoilers for 62 and Sun: ahahahaha jesus loving christ my partner carried the scenario entirely because it turns out "standing in one spot while you are surrounded by skeletons" is something the Sun is amazingly good at. I don't think I've seen a scenario that catered to a specific class like this without going to gimmicky extremes.

As for Eclipse I have no idea what to do. Looks interesting though, and should work okay alongside Sun. I think we're doing the Sun's solo scenario next so I won't really get to test it soon.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I assembled the go7 insert last night. It took about 6 hours. It's nice. I never want to assemble another insert ever again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah even if I resigned myself to $100 worth of game organizer, I don't want to spend hours and gently caress it up anyway because I gotta put wood pieces together with glue. That's too far for me. Thing looks gorgeous though - enjoy.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, we just unlocked those a few scenarios ago and we're already seriously considering adopting the proposed expansion rule change that they recover one fewer card each -- 1 card for minor, 2 for major .

I've been feeling that even that's too strong and they should be 1 randomly, 1 of your choice, and 1 of your choice then 1 randomly.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I retired my music note tonight and nearly shed a tear. So long little ball of death and destruction. Hello.... Circles?

(we also unlocked angry face and I might play that instead)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I've been feeling that even that's too strong and they should be 1 randomly, 1 of your choice, and 1 of your choice then 1 randomly.

Uhh, your proposal would make the Minor one better than the Major

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Big McHuge posted:

I retired my music note tonight and nearly shed a tear. So long little ball of death and destruction. Hello.... Circles?

(we also unlocked angry face and I might play that instead)

Angry Face is amazing. Play it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Angry Face is my favorite class, it hits like a truck from across the map. Why yes I would like to do 7 base damage from 5 hexes away as my standard attack.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Piell posted:

Angry Face is my favorite class, it hits like a truck from across the map. Why yes I would like to do 7 base damage from 5 hexes away as my standard attack.

The only aspect I think doesn't work are the traps. The damage output is fantastic and even the summons aren't too bad given the huge hand size and the quality of the later ones (the level 7 one is fine and the level 9 one is great). It's just the traps that are hard to use given you don't have much in the way of pulls / forced movement.

Good class and I enjoyed my time with it. It's also one of the locked classes I feel would work from level 1 onwards at a low prosperity.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
We unlocked Two Minis last night and at first glance it seems incredibly strong. With Concentrated Rage you can pretty easily do an attack 6 and attack 5 on top of a move 3 at level 1. Am I missing something that makes this class reasonable?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reik posted:

We unlocked Two Minis last night and at first glance it seems incredibly strong. With Concentrated Rage you can pretty easily do an attack 6 and attack 5 on top of a move 3 at level 1. Am I missing something that makes this class reasonable?

The bear still follows AI rules like other summons except when you're using a Command action on it, so it spends a lot of time doing bone-headed things. As an easy example, if there are no enemies it won't move on its own, which makes it a royal pain to keep near the front of the party. It also loves to shred itself on enemies with Retaliate.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Reik posted:

Lack of control, and lack of ability to open doors/work whilst no monsters are alive. You have no control over where the bear goes, and it can't open doors, and sits idly when it's got no targets. It can be a very powerful class, but it's also very difficult to coordinate.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Reik posted:

Not, it's extremely good. Only problem is the bear is dumb, so when you go up against retaliate enemies you have to make sure the bear doesn't kill itself, and it can be difficult to keep up with other players at times (since it won't move towards closed doors). Also you get very little gold, since the standard bear build means the vermling itself barely ever moves and the bear doesn't autoloot. Luckily? most items aren't that useful.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zurai posted:

The bear still follows AI rules like other summons except when you're using a Command action on it, so it spends a lot of time doing bone-headed things. As an easy example, if there are no enemies it won't move on its own, which makes it a royal pain to keep near the front of the party. It also loves to shred itself on enemies with Retaliate.

thespaceinvader posted:

Lack of control, and lack of ability to open doors/work whilst no monsters are alive. You have no control over where the bear goes, and it can't open doors, and sits idly when it's got no targets. It can be a very powerful class, but it's also very difficult to coordinate.

Zurai posted:

Two Minis: I see, so you're pretty much babysitting a gigantic Hail with teeth? Since I'm the player that manages all of the monster movement, it seems like I would be the best candidate for this class in our group?

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 24, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Reik posted:

I see, so you're pretty much babysitting a gigantic Hail with teeth? Since I'm the player that manages all of the monster movement, it seems like I would be the best candidate for this class in our group?

Two Minis: Yeah, pretty much. The bear activates on your Initiative value, but before you act and follows monster activation rules. Then you get to actually control it.

That said, Concentrated Rage is REALLY REALLY good. You can easily do 10+ damage most turns to the same or multiple targets. I'm currently playing the class and despite the bear being dumb, I'm really enjoying it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
For two minis, if you are still at a fairly low level, the other summons - wolf and hawk - can put out good damage that is competitive with the 100%-bear build. It takes more work to make it work, but is correspondingly less boring. (Biggest downside of bear build, IMO, is how boring it is - you don't get much variety at all in what you do turn to turn.) These summons stop working at higher levels because enemies start getting poo poo like retaliate 2 that will instantly kill your summons the first time they try anything, and you don't get improved summons to make up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only aspect I think doesn't work are the traps. The damage output is fantastic and even the summons aren't too bad given the huge hand size and the quality of the later ones (the level 7 one is fine and the level 9 one is great). It's just the traps that are hard to use given you don't have much in the way of pulls / forced movement.

Good class and I enjoyed my time with it. It's also one of the locked classes I feel would work from level 1 onwards at a low prosperity.

Angry Face: Simple solution is don't use traps or summons. Take Expose at level 2 then just take good movement and attack cards after. I feel like too many people overcomplicate the class but maybe those people want something more "interesting" than a dedicated hardcore sniper. That's all it needs to be though and it's crazy powerful at that.

The class definitely benefits more from enhancements than abilities though, at least until you get to Prosperity 4 and eventually take Darkened Skies. Then you'll need items to make that card better but otherwise I spent most of my gold on +1 attack enhancements and I put Wound on the top of Fresh Kill. :getin: