Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope nobody purchased the xbox version at launch because it's already on sale for 1/3 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tenzarin posted:

Strangely this is one of the things that fallout 76 does the most. With the miners strikes, robot replacement of workers, the raiders after the bombs, The order of the mysterious ladies vs the raiders, responders, and etc. It may all be in notes, holotapes, and terminals but it is there.

wow and you only get one direction to take it in, truly a standing ovation of innovation and storytelling for the fallout universe

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

Aside from the fact they will never tell you, one of the rumors around fallout 76 (supposed word of mouth from Bethesda Austin) is there's no sales goal. Bethesda isn't worried about numbers which leads to this theory about what the games goal is

In a way it makes sense to not waste time or resources on NPCs when it's an area of design they're confident in. Fallout 76 will probably be free to play at some point.

Was saying these things before launch. But people still spent money anyways.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Yes don't spend money. Wait 4 years for it to go free to play. Then spend your money on the Vault boy loot boxes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's already down to under £25 on the key reseller sites which leads me to think they have a ton unsold and are eating a loss to try and get rid of them all.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

GMG already slinging out 41% off coupons for this game. Sounds promising!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oriental Hugs posted:

Yes don't spend money. Wait 4 weeks for it to go free to play. Then spend your money on the Vault boy loot boxes.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyT00Dffqcw

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bardeh posted:

While it's mostly just fun to shitpost about, look at that Digital Foundry video I quoted just now. The game is an absolute mess technically, and there's no way they didn't know it before they released it at full price. Design decisions, gameplay decisions, ehhh that's all mostly subjective, but there's no excuse for releasing a full price game that runs and looks as bad as this when you're a dev with the resources that Bethsoft has.
According to Bethesda it’s ok if the game doesn’t work if they write a letter to the fans right before release

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Perpetual posted:

Like this is basically what I've always wanted out of a Bethesda rpg.

S'wit

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
you n'wah!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oriental Hugs posted:

Yes don't spend money. Wait 4 years for it to go free to play. Then spend your money on the Vault boy loot boxes.

Nah, it’s gonna be cheap as gently caress by mid December. This game appears to be sinking and stores want to toss it quick in a hope to break even.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 22, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

whoever made the snide remark about not being able to buy this because someone might work minimum wage or not have a salaried position or something, at least the price might drop quick enough that the poors can be duped into thinking it's a good value

it's lame for the actual poor ppl who buy videogames casually and saw a new fallout and got suckered, tho

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Penpal posted:

it's lame for the actual poor ppl who buy videogames casually and saw a new fallout and got suckered, tho

its funnier for people who got excited about the game and spent money

V this too

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Stores that purchased a billion upfront units are ultimately the ones getting boned that's a lol

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Retroblique posted:

Basically everything you said.

The game's scratching that survival/exploration/crafting itch for me. I'm sure once I've scoured every square inch of the map I'll be done with it and only return for the odd wander or to check out the expansions, but at the moment it's perfectly fine. I really don't understand the seething anger and hatred.

The "dislike" camp seem to be spread into a number of groups:

1) The usual "all Bethesda games are lovely bug-fests" hate bandwagon.
2) "It's not a 'proper' Fallout game. Whatever the hell that's supposed to be.
3) People who are pissed off because there are severe penalties/restrictions for those who just want to grief the poo poo out of everyone, thus forcing them to play "normally". Therefore "it's a lovely multi-player game".

I mean, each to their own, so spend or save your money accordingly, but I think most of the negativity has been blown all out of proportion.
I haven't really seen anything I'd describe as "seething anger and hatred", mostly it's just been an air of disappointment at the various shortcomings of FO:76. And calling out the multitude of bugs in FO:76 isn't a "hate bandwagon", it's because bugs can and do suck the fun out of a game like nothing else, and there's nothing the player can do to prevent them.

goomsnarr posted:

I'm afraid to say that I agree with the "Do Not Buy This" camp :-(
I had been incredibly lucky (it would seem) all through the "beta" phase, and only had the water texture bug (either no texture, or solid white) which was fixed.
Since release, holy poo poo.
CTD's, game won't exit, terrible storage cap etc etc etc

I've been trying to make the best of it, and just enjoy the Fallout feel. I've been enjoying wandering about, doing quests and expanding my camp (industrial water purifier ftw!).

But I have to say, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be bothered. Everything is just so tedious, and I'm getting fed up with hoping the server synchs with my progress before it crashes.

I just had a colossal fight with super mutants and robo-vertibirds, even managing to loot the cargo-bot and GTFO, until.....<server is not responding, controls frozen>......repeat....repeat.....<you have been disconnected>
All the loot....gone. There's nothing there to show what happened; no smoking debris, no corpses.

In honesty, it's not that I lost the loot...it's that I had this amazing game sequence, got through by the skin of my teeth; it was tense and exciting....and then....nothing. It never happened as far as the game is concerned.

In short, wait for Fallout 5. You're not missing much.
It's experiences like this one that can permanently sour someone's experience with a game, because the problem isn't anything the player did or didn't do; it's entirely on Bethesda's end that this happened and that stuff like this continues to happen. Not all bugs are this level of game-killing, a lot of them are relatively harmless things like T-posing enemies. But they're still bugs, and they need to be addressed.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if bethesda spent time fixing bugs in their engine they'd probably have a stable one to make games with

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Rinkles posted:

How many atoms is that?

The olive drab Power armor camo is 1400, the red white and blue paintjob is 1800.

Atoms are $9.99 for 1000

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Retroblique posted:

The "dislike" camp seem to be spread into a number of groups:

1) The usual "all Bethesda games are lovely bug-fests" hate bandwagon.
2) "It's not a 'proper' Fallout game. Whatever the hell that's supposed to be.
3) People who are pissed off because there are severe penalties/restrictions for those who just want to grief the poo poo out of everyone, thus forcing them to play "normally". Therefore "it's a lovely multi-player game".

I mean, each to their own, so spend or save your money accordingly, but I think most of the negativity has been blown all out of proportion.

so which group are the professional reviewers in. It's pretty clearly not 1/2 since basically every other Bethesda fallout has gotten great scores, so does that mean all the writers are mad that you can't grief

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
People still posting that there are no NPCs or that the game has no stories really just confirms that they either only watched a 'hilarious' youtube video or only played very briefly in the beta.

As others have said, the amount of negative misinformation about the game makes it really hard to take the genuine complaints seriously.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

go back in time and give fallout back to obsidian before microsoft bought them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Obsidian should probably not have saturated their own market in extremely niche retro infinity engine themed pc rpgs to the point where deadfire sold like totally rear end sadly

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

go back in time and give fallout back to obsidian before microsoft bought them.

They also bought inxile the same week, so almost all the old interplay guys are Microsoft devs now! Excited what they're all working on.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

They also bought inxile the same week, so almost all the old interplay guys are Microsoft devs now! Excited what they're all working on.

theyre going to flood the studios with managers and then cancel all their projects and lay everyone off (except the managers) when they cant finish within their insane timeframes

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
where did u get these facts

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

goty 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

where did u get these facts

the last 20 years of game development?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
thats old facts my guy, Nadella has been very focused on growth mindset strategies

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

thats old facts my guy, Nadella has been very focused on growth mindset strategies

lmao who gives a poo poo theyre not good at all

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-may-have-closed-five-more-internal-game-studios

ballmer loved growth he gave xbox to the biggest idiot in the industry

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Obsidian should probably not have saturated their own market in extremely niche retro infinity engine themed pc rpgs to the point where deadfire sold like totally rear end sadly

Tyranny and POE 1 and 2 count as saturating their own market?

Obsidian's finances have been in flux ever since their XBone launch title was canceled after years of development.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

loving ouch:
https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1065310925136191488
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and of itself, I guess.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 22, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and if itself, I guess.

dude im having fun dont FUD things up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and if itself, I guess.

Clearly they fall in the group of people who are mad that you can't grief or something

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

if you enjoy playing the game, why would you get upset that other people don't like it?

taking it a step further, you can have fun with the game and recognize that it isn't well made.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and of itself, I guess.

Now how will I know whether to buy it?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:

lmao gamers are turning into cultists just like bazingas with elon musk

WHOS NEXT TO HAVE FUN?!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Siljmonster posted:

lmao gamers are turning into cultists just like bazingas with elon musk

Not the first game.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

POE2 owns.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tenzarin posted:

Not the first game.

of course, its just occurring much quicker and faster because they have to identify with a brand and franchise or else they feel empty inside

the world is burning around us and gamers are so stupid that they think a scam is a good investment in time

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

quote:

It doesn't work is fact

I've really seen nothing to convince me this is any more buggy than any other multiplayer open world release, and that includes 30+ hours of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tenzarin posted:

POE2 owns.

I didn't deny that!!