Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Your Taint posted:

Global warming doesn't exist because it's supposed to be cold outside this weekend.

I can't say it's the first time I've ever heard this argument, but it's the first time I've ever heard it from a "President."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065400254151954432

You know in some countries extreme ignorance is considered a negative trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

would you rather have a generic republican senator or joe manchin?

If that generic republican means joe manchin never runs again? Maybe. Definitely in the case of chuck schumer though, a generic republican would be much better

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

Joe Manchin is poo poo garbage but we’ve discussed this topic to death and it’s clear no one is going to budge. Until Joe Manchin actually makes a headline y’all should let it go.

For the people in the cheap seats.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The only way to stop a Manchin derail is with a food derail

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i googled to see if he had a tweet in the last 24 hours or was attending a barbecue in Nowhere, WV, but i got nothing

i don't suppose i could segue into a discussion of regional barbecue?

I'm a fan of dry rub barbecue. Sauce is ok, but if you *need* sauce you've hosed up the meat.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Imagine thinking anyone cares about this while we're dealing with a coming, completely solvable, climate catastrophe. Imagine being so loving small-minded that you care about gas prices instead of trying to excite people with innovations that can change how we deal with things like diet, infrastructure, daily living, etc... and in what ways it can make everyone's life objectively more fulfilling. The Right isn't just bloodsucking, they're terribly boring, bland, and unimaginative.

Fascism and capitalism are the complete end of ideas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

you didn't actually answer whether i could incite a West Virginia / midAtlantic barbecue derail

Not a Step posted:

I'm a fan of dry rub barbecue. Sauce is ok, but if you *need* sauce you've hosed up the meat.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ocasio did another cooking live this time with Illhan Omar

https://mobile.twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1065410920854315008

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

:stare:

someone better link the youtube-or-whatever

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a loving snowbird whose bone spurs hurt when its cold should shut the gently caress up about climate.

Also maybe Donnie is also scared of snow, there are no pics of him with snow mmmmmm(or his mush brain thinks its coke and he gets pissed when he tries to snort it)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this looks extremely cute

https://twitter.com/em19200/status/1065420295190671360

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

This new season of Alpha House is lookin good

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Can someone please put me in a time capsule and only let me out once AOC is president, tia

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Policies of China, Russia and Canada threaten 5C climate change, study finds

quote:

The US and Australia are only slightly behind with both pushing the global temperature rise dangerously over 4C above pre-industrial levels says the paper, while even the EU, which is usually seen as a climate leader, is on course to more than double the 1.5C that scientists say is a moderately safe level of heating.

a quick reminder that democrats are still not pushing hard enough on climate change. they need to embrace the green new deal as a major party initiative

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Condiv posted:

do all of the people currently defending manchin think his support of trump is a non-issue? what about him supporting punishing football players for protesting the murder of black people, or him normalizing the idea that jus soli can be stripped away?

why is it ok for us to have a racist dem helping normalize the republican's fascist behavior?

You know what they say, dont let good be the enemy of bad

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

George W. Bush

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Covok posted:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

George W. Bush

He realized he was about to say "shame on me."

That's the theory.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you didn't actually answer whether i could incite a West Virginia / midAtlantic barbecue derail

:argh: you bastard.

Also AOC and friends cooking is a stream I would subscribe the gently caress out of.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ague Proof posted:

He realized he was about to say "shame on me."

That's the theory.

Still makes him a dipshit.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My question on this Kashoggi thing:
So what if Trump thinks MBS is innocent? The rest of the world, some of the GOP and probably the next US president will still think he is guilty as sin. His reign and power will still have that stink long after Trump is gone, is that being factored in by King Salman?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

This new season of Alpha House is lookin good

Lightning Knight posted:

:argh: you bastard.

Also AOC and friends cooking is a stream I would subscribe the gently caress out of.

i unironically want regular streams of AOC and her roommates

and guest stars, ideally including John Goodman and other Senators

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So what if Trump thinks MBS is innocent? The rest of the world, some of the GOP and probably the next US president will still think he is guilty as sin. His reign and power will still have that stink long after Trump is gone, is that being factored in by King Salman?

They are probably just thinking about getting him through the near term crisis.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Pretty sure King Salman is factoring in that no one will ever call him on it so long as his country continues to be very wealthy, opposed to Iran, and influential on oil prices.

Again, the *only* unique thing about the House of Saud butchering a reporter and then half assing the cover up is that Trump doesn't know he's supposed to lie about how much he doesn't care.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

GOP

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1065420877465100289

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder how many people here have actually been to WV.

Lightning Knight posted:

Bold your posts if you're gonna start probating for these things please.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Why isn't America's BFF in the Middle East Jordan? From what I have read they are fairly progressive and not antagonistic to the west or Israel. They mostly just mind their own business it seems.

Edit: I mean, I know the answer. It is just...Jordan seems a much better place to build a relationship with that wont stab us in the back and commit atrocities all the time...

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 22, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

i'm from oklahoma and i still wouldn't vote for a xenophobic dem here

the idea that red states should have racist, sexist, and xenophobic dems is p disgusting

Condiv fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 22, 2018

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Why isn't America's BFF in the Middle East Jordan? From what I have read they are fairly progressive and not antagonistic to the west or Israel. They mostly just mind their own business it seems.

They are maybe not our "BFF" but they are a close ally of the US. The thing is, they are one of the poorer countries in the region so they don't have the kind of power that Saudi Arabia has.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grapplejack posted:

Bold your posts if you're gonna start probating for these things please.

I am phone posting, my bad. People seemed to get the message tho.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

friendbot2000 posted:

Edit: I mean, I know the answer. It is just...Jordan seems a much better place to build a relationship with that wont stab us in the back and commit atrocities all the time...

Fairly progressive, not antagonistic, mostly just mind their own business.

Sounds like a Canadian ally, not American.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The king was on Star Trek Voyager too.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

ascii genitals posted:

Fairly progressive, not antagonistic, mostly just mind their own business.

Sounds like a Canadian ally, not American.

From what I remember from my class in Middle Eastern History, Jordan has its roots deep in Bedoiun culture. It is supposed to be an amazing place to visit because hospitality is king in Jordan.

And its kinda weird to have a monarchy be a source of progressive change. I remember ISIS tried to get a foothold there and got stomped into oblivion. They wanted none of that poo poo lol.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't actually no the answer to this but how much oil does Jordan export to the west? I am guessing this might play a part in all this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

friendbot2000 posted:

Donnie hates MJ for some reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Any way to watch a replay of this?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

i'm from oklahoma and i still wouldn't vote for a xenophobic dem here

the idea that red states should have racist, sexist, and xenophobic dems is p disgusting

There's no ground support for Dems in a lot of these states and they feel cast aside by the Dem leadership. Like, Ohio, for example. The national party has left them swaying because the neoliberal platform they love so much has severely damaged the state and they have zero interest or plans to deal with it. Brown is popular in Ohio because he gives a poo poo and is trying to make things better there. Byrd loving annihilated everyone who tried to challenge him in WV, primarily because he rode so hard in diverting funds and jobs to the state. It's a lack of interest from the party writ large that is the problem and something that needs to be changed if you want to see more left-y people in Congress from the rust belt states.

Oh if Pelosi gets house leadership back she should absolutely be bombarded by people asking for earmarks back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

goethe.cx posted:

which one of you tweeted this

This puts me in mind of The Aviator (2004)

Wherein we learn that while Howard Hughes might be a literal raving maniac, that's just one small downside of a life spent being a Larger Than Life American Superhero, the Chuck Yeager or Neil Armstrong of his day, who amassed a fortune through good old-fashioned gumption and ingenuity and then spent his days flying untested death-trap aircraft through fireballs and wreckage purely for the hell and glory of it; and meanwhile Katharine Hepburn's household of effete liberal fops pass their lives of leisure and privilege taking pictures of each other in their palatial mansion and deriding him for reading mere trade magazines while they peruse the latest literature of intellectual thinkers from Europe and beyond, blind to their own hypocrisy and detachment from the world of which they congratulate themselves on being the moral defenders

That movie was like being slowly fellated through an american flag

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Data Graham posted:

That movie was like being slowly fellated through an american flag

Bah, that's just a myth about Orthodox Patriots.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Madkal posted:

I don't actually no the answer to this but how much oil does Jordan export to the west? I am guessing this might play a part in all this.

I think it's not very much at all compared to the other countries in the region. Which is why they are relatively poor compared to say, Saudi Arabia. Which is also why they aren't a military powerhouse.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

There's no ground support for Dems in a lot of these states and they feel cast aside by the Dem leadership. Like, Ohio, for example. The national party has left them swaying because the neoliberal platform they love so much has severely damaged the state and they have zero interest or plans to deal with it. Brown is popular in Ohio because he gives a poo poo and is trying to make things better there. Byrd loving annihilated everyone who tried to challenge him in WV, primarily because he rode so hard in diverting funds and jobs to the state. It's a lack of interest from the party writ large that is the problem and something that needs to be changed if you want to see more left-y people in Congress from the rust belt states.

Oh if Pelosi gets house leadership back she should absolutely be bombarded by people asking for earmarks back.

i'm well aware of the lack of support from the national dems. the dem party in our state is skeletal and has p much 0 funding from above. and since the dems really can't be bothered to fight for our state, there's absolutely no counterbalance to republican messaging and the problem just gets worse.

not sure if national dems sticking their nose into our state would help much though. instead of trying to change the narratives, dem leadership seems more content to give in to and pander to republican narratives, assuming thats the only way to win in red states. and such a strategy is just straight out disgusting. if i wanted to vote for racist xenophobes, I'd be in the republican party

Condiv fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Grapplejack posted:

Visited it many times but have never lived there. Both of my paternal grandparents (I take very strongly after my paternal grandmother) came out of WV coal mining towns during the Great Deppression.

Edit: This really shouldn't be much surprise as my attitude round these parts is basically pure distilled Apple-at-cha mountain woman. Now if you need me imma go red up the table for supper.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 22, 2018