System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How are you supposed to use Glints? For example I got Squall's GSB and BSB2 is there like a certain order they need to go in or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Electric Phantasm posted:

How are you supposed to use Glints? For example I got Squall's GSB and BSB2 is there like a certain order they need to go in or something?

Glints are rarely good honestly. Theyve been trying really hard and their effects rarely justify wasting the bar. Especially with squall and his bsb2.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Mmm... no.

There we go.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New XII event in JP - Ashe gets an Awakening, a new USB, and an LMR, while Larsa gets a new USB, a Glint, and an LMR. All new toys on banner 1!

And what joy! A Mandragoras fight where 3/5 are immune to physical damage and the other 2 are immune to magical damage, and every few turns the immunities swap!

Banner 1 posted:

Ashe's Treaty-Blade [AASB, +10 MAG] - 15 single-target Lightning/NE magic attacks, En-Lightning, Lightning Awakening Mode, Break Damage Cap Level 1 & Lightning Slash to user
Lightning Awakening Mode: Unlimited Lightning Hones, Lightning Ability Boost & Dualcast Lightning
Lightning Slash: After using 3 Lightning abilities, chases with single-target Lightning/NE Overflow magic attack

Vaan's Triton's Dagger [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Wind Overflow physical attacks

Ashe's Ultima Blade [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 random Lightning/NE magic attacks, En-Lightning & Thunder of Innovation to user
Thunder of Innovation: After using Lightning abilities, grants High Quick Magic 1 to back-row members; After using 3 Lightning abilities, grants Lightning Damage +10% to party
Larsa's Sleep Blade [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & High Quick Cast 2 to party, Instant Cast, Mixed Potion to user
Mixed Potion: After using White Magic or Support abilities, grants 1000 heal & Esuna to party
Vayne's Armguard [USB, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - 10 single-target Dark/NE hybrid attacks, En-Dark, Instant Cast 1 to party, Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Darkness abilities
Level 0: Single-target Dark hybrid attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Dark Overflow hybrid attack

Vaan's Lowtown Trousers [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Wind ranged physical attacks, Instant Cast, MAG & DEF -40%, Quick Thief & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Thief abilities
Level 0: Single-target Wind physical attack, 0.825s CT
Level 1: 3 single-target Wind physical attacks, 0.825s CT, DEF -40%
Level 2: 6 single-target Wind physical attacks, 0.825s CT, DEF -40%
Level 3: 10 single-target Wind physical attacks, 0.825s CT, MAG/DEF/MND -70%

Penelo's Rabanastre Dancer's Clothes [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & Instant Cast 1 to party, Instant Cast, Cure Step to user
Cure Step: After using Dancer abilities, grants h25 heal to party

Larsa's Cloak [Glint, +10 MND] - Astra & Esuna to party, Instant Cast
Vaan's Orochi [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks, Instant Cast, minor Imperil Wind, Wind Damage +10% to user

Ashe's Golden Shield [LMR, +10 MAG] - When using Lightning abilities, 25% chance to chase with 3 single-target Lightning/NE magic attacks + 1500 heal to an ally
Larsa's Lambent Hat [LMR, +10 MND] - When using White Magic abilities, 35% chance to grant user Astra
Vayne's Novus Leathers [LMR, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of the battle
Vaan's Thief's Cap [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Thief abilities
Penelo's Feathered Cap [LMR, +10 MND] - 25% chance to Dualcast White Magic abilities

Banner 2 posted:

Balthier's Mithuna [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Fire Overflow ranged physical attacks
Ashe's Tournesol [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Lightning Overflow magic attacks

Balthier's Argyle Armlet [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Fire/NE ranged physical attacks, Imperil Fire, Oil Bullet to user
Oil Bullet: Inflicts minor Imperil Fire after using 2 Machinist abilities
Reks's Bastard Sword [USB, +10 ATK] - ATK +50%, Haste & 75% Lightning Radiant Shield to party
Basch's Crystal Shield [USB, +10 ATK] - ATK & MAG +30%, Protect, Shell and Haste to party
Gabranth's Balmung [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Dark ranged physical attacks, En-Dark, Heavy Charge Booster & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Dark abilities
Level 0: Single-target Dark physical attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Dark Overflow physical attack

Ashe's Ragnarok [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Lightning/NE magic attacks, En-Lightning, MAG & RES +30% & Lightning Sigil to user
Lightning Sigil: After using R1~5 Black Magic abilities, chases with 2~6 single-target Lightning/NE magic attacks

Balthier's Mirage Vest [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Fire, En-Fire Stack & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast
Ashe's Aegis Shield [Glint, +10 MAG] - En-Lightning, En-Lightning Stack & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast

Balthier's Antares [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Fire for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Reks's Bone Mail [LMR, +10 ATK] - When using Spellblade abilities, 25% chance to cast single-target 40% max HP heal
Basch's Gloves [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Holy for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Gabranth's Gauntlet [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Dark abilities
Ashe's Bracers [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I just dollar pulled Thancred Brave USB. I guess I have a support ninja now? Not sure how to feel about this thing, but I guess at least the SB is instacast and the brave commands are ninja type and speed. Wish I had his doublecast LMR. I might throw a real pull at this banner depending on whether they throw us some mythril for the probably trap black friday banner.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why didn't they call this GSB Triple Cast? Black mages in XIV literally get an ability named that, and it does exactly what this does.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Glints are rarely good honestly. Theyve been trying really hard and their effects rarely justify wasting the bar. Especially with squall and his bsb2.

Glints are great when you have a character that just needs a fast Enspell and go back to ability spam (like Trance Zidane or a Chain user).

For characters which really like their USB mode effects they're less immediately useful, but a lot of high end clears make use of Glints.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hogama posted:

New XII event in JP - Ashe gets an Awakening, a new USB, and an LMR, while Larsa gets a new USB, a Glint, and an LMR. All new toys on banner 1!

And what joy! A Mandragoras fight where 3/5 are immune to physical damage and the other 2 are immune to magical damage, and every few turns the immunities swap!

That Larsa USB looks incredible; you get to wrathspam an instant cast medica with a universally useful effect, while also getting throughput healing from your wrath uses. (Also aoe esunas I guess)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's Elarra USB but it trades some healing for esuna

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Larsa's Glint actually looks pretty good too. Astra + Esuna isn't a bad deal for one bar. Obviously the USB is a better option most of the time, but I wouldn't hate drawing that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lights posted:

Larsa's Glint actually looks pretty good too. Astra + Esuna isn't a bad deal for one bar. Obviously the USB is a better option most of the time, but I wouldn't hate drawing that.

Larsa Glint is basically the whole reason people use Unicorn and Enkidu as main magicite, so I can definitely see it being a great emergency button.

Also means you don't need to give Larsa Wrath or a gauge materia just to make sure you get Astra up soon enough for some fights.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Relevant to glint chat - dollar pulled Minfilia glint. It's a thing I guess? I really don't see myself using her much unless I'm running a mixed team for her USB or something.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 22, 2018

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

:smithicide:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So getting around to clearing nightmares and take on Demon Wall. Apparently it blocks SBs, but that doesn't apply to RWs I guess so I take in Squall AOSB and he one shots it. :toot:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So getting around to clearing nightmares and take on Demon Wall. Apparently it blocks SBs, but that doesn't apply to RWs I guess so I take in Squall AOSB and he one shots it. :toot:

Nah, that's an awkward description. It blocks attacks and SBs that are coded as Jumps, because gently caress dragoons trying to nosell its gimmick, basically.

This doesn't really have much of an influence in this day and age but back then it basically meant you couldn't use any of Gilgamesh's earlier stuff and it still means goons aren't the best choice for the fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

KataraniSword posted:

Nah, that's an awkward description. It blocks attacks and SBs that are coded as Jumps, because gently caress dragoons trying to nosell its gimmick, basically.

This doesn't really have much of an influence in this day and age but back then it basically meant you couldn't use any of Gilgamesh's earlier stuff and it still means goons aren't the best choice for the fight.

Ah okay.

But man it feels kinda good, I'm basically breezing through these Nightmare fights. At least until I reach the main Nightmare because it takes me a bit to figure out their dumb gimmick.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Newer RWs can cheese most of the Nightmares pretty easily, but Meltdown, Curada, Vali, and to a lesser extent Omega Drive (still really good just combat is less good today imo) are worth it even if they were just as hard to clear as at launch.

Being "stuck" at the worst 4* magicite node, Midgardsormr, has drained my enjoyment of the game very quickly. Fortunately I'm almost done and can move on to Ixion, where my Earth options are a decent bit stronger; still no chain, but Guy USB and I picked up a Thancred starter kit last night on my one pull (Brave and LMR).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Don't get too excited, Ixion is easily the most annoying magicite, party dispels are the worst

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ixion is statted like a 3*, just have someone chain hastega. cauldron guy is the real shithead.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Kraken is the actual worst 4* fight because I can do the others with like 98+% reliability, all sub-30 except Tiamat which I haven't tried in like six or seven months, but Kraken is like hey man I see you farming for magicite passives how about I do four counters to those two dualcasted spells then follow that with aoe damage

The okay thing is that I kill Kraken in 15-17 seconds when that doesn't happen.

thanks for listening

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Savage Jet Fire is simply the worst.

Kraken can be easy or hard depending on how often he counters, and he likes to counter unfortunately!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kraken is definitely the most annoying because having to manually target loses precious fractions of a second. And if one of the tentacles has a lower HP% than Kraken, any dual casts will get redirected to it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where do you get 5* motes? I'm so close to fully diving a character for the first time, but I need a few more Vitallity motes.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I just came back after a year long hiatus, and there appear to be a ton of banners at the moment! I saw something earlier mentioning that hitting the USB banner and getting Elarra’s USB was a smart move so I did that, but are any of the other banners a great deal? I’m so out of touch with the meta that I’m pretty clueless atm.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Where do you get 5* motes? I'm so close to fully diving a character for the first time, but I need a few more Vitallity motes.

5* motes right now are mainly from special events like the current Cardia Islands thing, Crystal Towers, and Torments, with torments being the hardest but you only have to do it once to get a large amount of em. CT's are 30 of each every month and events that give them are fairly uncommon, so they're kind of a long term goal, which is why it's important to spend them wisely. Later there will be more ways to get them though. Also, if you do clear some torments, do NOT spent rubies to get 5* motes, it's much more important to save them for the 6* skills that are 180 each and there's no way to get them otherwise.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I just came back after a year long hiatus, and there appear to be a ton of banners at the moment! I saw something earlier mentioning that hitting the USB banner and getting Elarra’s USB was a smart move so I did that, but are any of the other banners a great deal? I’m so out of touch with the meta that I’m pretty clueless atm.

None of the others are good deals in terms of spending money on really, if you're just returning I'd suggest using your mythril on the Realm Relic Draws, which are 15 mythril per for the first pull so you can get a little something from each realm with a good shot at 6* relics. Oh, the phys/magic/healer luckies are decent uses of mythril too, assuming you don't have the relics on them. Next month will be a fest also, with 5 mythril pulls for each realm as well as some other half price luckies, so good time to get caught up on dungeons and collect mythril to get ready. Also make sure to check into the Cardia Islands event, there's some gift dungeons, which will net you like 35 mythril and a bunch of orbs+crystals.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 22, 2018

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Indecisive posted:

Don't get too excited, Ixion is easily the most annoying magicite, party dispels are the worst

I finished getting my earth magicite bits and leveled the relevant ones to 80 for my deck and tried Ixion

Trip report: its the most fun Ive had in magicite for a while; 20s runs are average, I win about 3/4 of the time and that 1/4 is usually an RNG gently caress. First run oddly enough was my fastest at 17s. I'm going to enjoy these runs and probably use Ixion to gather the 40something bits I need for Deadly/Precise strikes inheritance (If I cant crack 5*s anyway; BK is going to be hard if not impossible right now)

Kraken is going to be a struggle, but I have a solid mage team core; Shan chain (and usb if I get enough bar) and Ashe USB. I dunno who to slot in for my third dps role; I have Rapha USB (but not her BSB which is actual dps), Desch USB, and Reno USB. All of them have wcast LM2s so its hard to choose who to dive and slot it.

Maybe Reno, since he can do double duty for phys/mag teams when I get to 5*s?

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

My Kraken team is Garnet(CSB)/Ashe(AOSB/USB)/Reno (USB)/Tyro(Godwall)/Elarra(USB), and I pretty reliably sub 30, so you should probably be good with subbing Shan for Garnet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arcon posted:

I finished getting my earth magicite bits and leveled the relevant ones to 80 for my deck and tried Ixion

Trip report: its the most fun Ive had in magicite for a while; 20s runs are average, I win about 3/4 of the time and that 1/4 is usually an RNG gently caress. First run oddly enough was my fastest at 17s. I'm going to enjoy these runs and probably use Ixion to gather the 40something bits I need for Deadly/Precise strikes inheritance (If I cant crack 5*s anyway; BK is going to be hard if not impossible right now)

Kraken is going to be a struggle, but I have a solid mage team core; Shan chain (and usb if I get enough bar) and Ashe USB. I dunno who to slot in for my third dps role; I have Rapha USB (but not her BSB which is actual dps), Desch USB, and Reno USB. All of them have wcast LM2s so its hard to choose who to dive and slot it.

Maybe Reno, since he can do double duty for phys/mag teams when I get to 5*s?

If you don't have King USB, Reno USB makes an okay alternate for mixing it up, yeah. Alternately, consider an entrust support for your third dps slot; if Shantotto can get up Chain and USB in the first 11 or 12 seconds you can burn Kraken down real quick, especially now that there's a 6* Witch for Shantotto to abuse.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Cleared magicite Sealion, finally. Seems the trick is just bringing OK and using forbidden power. Also Zell was there.

Now to figure out how I'll handle Fenrir. I could go physical with Noel, Celes, and Snow since I have their bursts to give sustain and they're all I have for physical ice. Magic is even worse off, just Lulu with her burst and Vivi's multielement burst.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Fenrir is going to be tough; Magic is recommended, as he gives himself physical blink every few turns. You can either go Magic or learn the timing so that way your weaker attacker get their attack eaten and your stronger attacks get through

Its what I did when I got snow chain and squall stuff; lets Snow's Icicle Rush be eaten by the blink because the Rush skills are pretty awful, and let Squall and Butz land their Snowspell Strikes.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
My cousin visited us for Thanksgiving and is apparently way deep into this (was talking about neo-torments and the 5* fights) but honestly until I get a bit of experience with something, not much sticks. I did the free 33 pull thing and got Zack’s chain sb weapon as a 6* - is that a good starting point for an account before I go grind out these unlocks?

E: also got Edgar’s cloak and 1st fusion sword for cloud - both BSBs but I’m not sure how they rank. I assume it’s a 2. Also Papalymo’s overstrike one (Lilit rod zeta), Laguna’s chain sb and Kelger’s cloak

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 23, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Thats a pretty incredible starting item. Go hog wild.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Laguna's Chain AND Zack's chain to start? Yeah. You're good.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
2 supportive chains, both to pretty common elements. One gives you many many crits, and the other is a massive buff to attack. you can totally go ham in 95% of content.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chain relics are the top end in the game right now. When you get one, assume it's good unless it's the same element and damage type (physical/magical) as another chain you currently own.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there anything in particular to pull on right now? Or just gather up piles of mithril?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ugato posted:

Is there anything in particular to pull on right now? Or just gather up piles of mithril?

There's quite a bit actually. The Golden Festival Lucky draws are half cost (25 mythril) for the first pull, and all are curated with good lists of items. Definitely pull once on each of those. They will go away next week, so try to prioritise those.

Then there are the deeply discounted Realm Relic Draws, that are 15 mythril. There's an absolute ton of them, one per Final Fantasy represented in this game. These will stick around for 6 months so they're not a major concern to get right now, but they're super cheap.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ugato posted:

My cousin visited us for Thanksgiving and is apparently way deep into this (was talking about neo-torments and the 5* fights) but honestly until I get a bit of experience with something, not much sticks. I did the free 33 pull thing and got Zack’s chain sb weapon as a 6* - is that a good starting point for an account before I go grind out these unlocks?

E: also got Edgar’s cloak and 1st fusion sword for cloud - both BSBs but I’m not sure how they rank. I assume it’s a 2. Also Papalymo’s overstrike one (Lilit rod zeta), Laguna’s chain sb and Kelger’s cloak

the chains are one of the best things you could have drawn but you'll probably get more out of those BSBs in the short term': at the endgame you're mostly using 5* and higher abilities, but these abilities cost a lot of orbs to make and hone (more hones = more uses per fight), so you won't have a wide selection of 4+ use abilities for a while. When you use a BSB you get temporary access to decently powerful abilities that you can use instead of 5* abilities, giving you a lot more staying power in harder fights

Eventually you'll have a ton of orbs from doing dungeons and events so BSBs will become less useful but they're great early on

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

20 gems for a single 4* mote, good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Anyone bothering with the Black Friday pull? Very wary of it myself - full priced pull with guaranteed 3 5-stars or above. Maybe I've been spoiled by the realm 15 pulls and the luckies we've had. Plus RoP will be out soon anyway.